PDA

View Full Version : Game suspension vs. called?

downstairs
08-15-2005, 10:43 AM
Ok... I am confused by how rain is handled in all different situations. Specifically, why are some games "suspended" and some "called". I assumed it had nothing to do with the inning, because there are provisions for games being "called" before the 5th and after the 5th...

BTW... by suspended I mean the game is picked up from the exact point it was stopped. By cancelled I mean the game is over and either counted as a win/loss or re-played from the beginning.

Fenway
08-15-2005, 10:49 AM
suspensions usually are curfew or power outage situations

example you can't start an inning after 1 AM ( unless it is teams last visit to park )

weather? the game never happened
EXCEPTION: If the game is called while an inning is in progress and before it is completed, the game becomes a SUSPENDED game in each of the following situations: (1) The visiting team has scored one or more runs to tie the score and the home team has not scored; (2) The visiting team has scored one or more runs to take the lead and the home team has not tied the score or retaken the lead. National Association Leagues may also adopt the following rules for suspended games in addition to 4.11 (d) (1) & (2) above. (If adopted by a National Association League, Rule 4.10 (c) (d) & (e) would not apply to their games.): (3) The game has not become a regulation game (4 1/2 innings with the home team ahead, or 5 innings with the visiting club ahead or tied). (4) Any regulation game tied at the point play is stopped because of weather, curfew or other reason. (5) If a game is suspended before it becomes a regulation game, and is continued prior to another regularly scheduled game, the regularly scheduled game will be limited to seven innings. (6) If a game is suspended after it is a regulation game, and is continued prior to another regularly scheduled game, the regularly scheduled game will be a nine inning game. EXCEPTION: The above sections (3), (4), (5) & (6) will not apply to the last scheduled game between the two teams during the championship season, or League Playoffs. Any suspended game not completed prior to the last scheduled game between the two teams during the championship season, will become a called game.

Ok... I am confused by how rain is handled in all different situations. Specifically, why are some games "suspended" and some "called". I assumed it had nothing to do with the inning, because there are provisions for games being "called" before the 5th and after the 5th...

BTW... by suspended I mean the game is picked up from the exact point it was stopped. By cancelled I mean the game is over and either counted as a win/loss or re-played from the beginning.

Brian26
08-15-2005, 11:48 AM
(5) If a game is suspended before it becomes a regulation game, and is continued prior to another regularly scheduled game, the regularly scheduled game will be limited to seven innings.

Wow, you learn something new everyday. I have NEVER heard of this before. I've never seen it happen. I'm just trying to think of an example when it might have happened.

Would the Sox vs. Brewers marathon from 1984 count? I believe the game was suspended the night before, and then they began it the next day with Seaver coming out of the bullpen (and then starting the regularly scheduled game). Seaver got two wins that day. I'm pretty sure, but not certain, that the second game was the full 9 innings.

EDIT- No, this wouldn't count since it was a regulation game before it was suspended.

anewman35
08-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Wow, you learn something new everyday. I have NEVER heard of this before. I've never seen it happen. I'm just trying to think of an example when it might have happened.

I have to think this is an old rule left over from before there were lights or something. I can't imagine they'd actually ever use it in a major league game, would they?

Brian26
08-15-2005, 12:00 PM
I have to think this is an old rule left over from before there were lights or something. I can't imagine they'd actually ever use it in a major league game, would they?

Maybe, but I can't even remember that rule coming into play in the late 70s/early 80s when the Cubs used to have some of those 3pm business-man-specials suspended at 7pm because it was getting too dark.

It sounds like a Little League rule. I can't ever remember a 7-inning regulation ball game.