PDA

View Full Version : Josh Fields (P) out for season

diamondkings29
08-15-2005, 09:46 AM
Josh Fields from the AAA Knights is out for the season with a shoulder injury. He is expected to be under the knife this week and ready for spring training. Great year in AAA should warrant him a big league invite. Agree?

Chisoxfn
08-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Thats a bummer, Josh has pitched so well with the Sox org and once again this year with the Knights.

Hopefully he can rehab quickly but considering he's having shoulder surgery my guess would be that they'll take it very easy on him and he'll basically be in extended spring training. I don't think the Sox would throw him into the fire of spring training if he's just on his way back from shoulder surgery.

If he were healthy I'd hope he'd get an invite. Quality individual, quality player.

diamondkings29
08-15-2005, 12:50 PM
He just went through his second opinion moments ago and they said surgery for sure. He cannot throw for 3 months, so it will be in a sling for 3 weeks, however the outcome is VERY positive. They said 100% recovery along with the possibility of gaining a few MPH. He will be more than ready by spring training and he will report to Tucson for work in January.

He had a great season, being first full season in AAA and logged the most innings of work out of the pen and his stats against LH batters were unbelievable.

He is due a big league invite as well as 40-man spot. He pitched better than Matt Smith and deserves his spot on the 40 man roster.

Agree?

Sxy Mofo
08-15-2005, 01:25 PM
I'm so confused. So many josh fields'

Hangar18
08-15-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm so confused. So many josh fields'

Can you imagine if BOTH Josh Fields made the team, and BOTH Carlos Lees
were on the SOX too? that would be crazy ......

diamondkings29
08-15-2005, 04:22 PM
Fields is having the same procedure that Ryan Wing had done (and the surgeon performing the repair on Ryan is being looked at for Fields).

Without a doubt, Josh is the most overlooked bullpen guy that reminds me of Gary Majewski, once let go by the Sox is going to thrive somewhere else since the Sox do not have a history of bringing up middle relievers.

Randar68
08-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Fields is having the same procedure that Ryan Wing had done (and the surgeon performing the repair on Ryan is being looked at for Fields).

Wing has seemingly never recovered. I don't think that's a good sign here. Wha is the injury/repair being done?

maurice
08-15-2005, 04:56 PM
DK,
It seems that, generally, shoulder injuries are more serious / career-threatening for pitchers than elbow injuries. The recovery rate for Tommy John is outstanding. OTOH, the Sox org. has taken a beating from shoulder injuries.

Good luck, Josh.

diamondkings29
08-16-2005, 07:50 AM
Very true on the recovery for Tommy John surgury....Josh has a partial tear I believe in his Liberal muscle and this is going to be cleaned up with a scope likely. Also there is a small spur they will clean up. Josh has had pain for sometime and still succeeded to get guys out.

IMHO I anticipate 100% recovery as well as the Dr.s' prognosis is very-very good and do not forsee this being any sort of hamper on his career, only he will not be playing winter ball in Puerto Rico and missing out on that tax free money!

diamondkings29
08-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Update-

Just spoke to Josh a few minutes ago. He is doing well, a little sore, but his surgery is scheduled for 9/2/05 in Los Angeles. It looks like he will be ready to throw off a mound by January so he is still eligibile for a big league invite. He may get the invite but stay in extended spring training until assignment. Doubtful he goes right back to Charlotte, but may do some innings in BHam for awhile to get in the grove. His spirits are up since the tear is only a partial and not as extensive as originally thought.

Soxzilla
08-24-2005, 11:34 PM
Here's is too a speedy and complete recovery!:gulp: Thanks for keeping us updated diamondkings. We look forward to seeing him at ST in tucson next year.

diamondkings29
09-02-2005, 08:14 AM
Josh is having his procedure this morning and I will provide an update as soon as I hear how it went. He met with Dr. Yokum on 8/31/05 and the doctor said that everything was shaping up to be routine. Dr. Yokum is one of the premier surgeons in this arena and Josh has agreed to rehab in Anaheim with some of the Angels trainers in order to be ready for Spring Training.

With Sanders getting called up, it is likely Josh was a canadate for that reliever position but he is getting ready for training in hopes he lands a big league invite.
Stay tuned.

diamondkings29
10-10-2005, 12:44 PM
To keep everyone up to date on Josh's rehab, he is doing extremely well to this point. He is gaining strength and mobility in his shoulder and is projected to be throwing off a mound during spring training.

He is doing his rehab in California and wanted to thank eveyone for their support and votes of confidence the last few months and promised his fans he will be back stronger then ever next year.......and also in a big league uniform soon.

diamondkings29
11-07-2005, 01:22 PM
November Update to Josh Fields RHP-

Josh is ahead of schedule on his rehab and is gaining strength in his shoulder. He is anticipated to make a 100% recovery along with gaining a few extra MPH on his arm. The doctors and rehabilitation therapists are surprised at his progress to date.

He is in great shape and will be throwing soon. He is anticipated to throw off a mound by spring training.

With Razor Shines coming up to AAA, Josh will be handed the ball a lot as we all know Razor likes Josh and his style and performance. So look for Josh to be back in Charlotte after a short rehab stint if any.

Thanks for all the inquiries to his status.

Randar68
11-07-2005, 01:35 PM
November Update to Josh Fields RHP-

Josh is ahead of schedule on his rehab and is gaining strength in his shoulder. He is anticipated to make a 100% recovery along with gaining a few extra MPH on his arm. The doctors and rehabilitation therapists are surprised at his progress to date.

He is in great shape and will be throwing soon. He is anticipated to throw off a mound by spring training.

With Razor Shines coming up to AAA, Josh will be handed the ball a lot as we all know Razor likes Josh and his style and performance. So look for Josh to be back in Charlotte after a short rehab stint if any.

Thanks for all the inquiries to his status.

Hadn't recalled that Razor was moving to AAA for 2006. Thanks for keeping us updated.

maurice
11-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Razor to AAA? Interesting.

Since most of the 2005 roster should be gone, the 2006 Knights could be primarily composed of 2005 Barons. The folks in Charlotte should be pleased.

kwolf68
11-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Great for Josh...anyone who can pitch in that stadium in Charlotte and stay below 3 on the era has to be looked at closely.

diamondkings29
12-02-2005, 09:17 AM
Josh December Update-

Spoke to Josh last night and he is ahead of schedule. He is still going to rehab 2-3 times a week and is scheduled to start throwing in the next month. He says the pain he felt all of last season is gone and is excited about getting back to work. He has remained in shape this off season by focusing on cardio based activites and feels that he is going to be a big leaguer still this year.

Stay tuned. Josh will be in spring training a bit early to show he wants to contribute to the Sox. Had the injury not have happened, he would have been a big league invite for sure this year, especially the way he dealt while a member of the Knights and his stats line speaks for itself.

Many have written him off as maybe a cup of coffee here and there, but he is getting calls from different coaches that are telling him once he is healthy it is only a matter of time.

He wants to thank those who have left messages here supporting him and those who follow him in the off season.

bobowhite
12-02-2005, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the update diamondkings. We are all hoping for the best for Josh.

maurice
12-02-2005, 02:06 PM
The Sox have a very good record of producing MLB relievers. OTOH, most of them needed to change organizations to get a real shot to develop at the major-league level.