PDA

View Full Version : Should Owens get a shot?

CaptUSN
08-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Owens seems to be the player in the minors whose game is most like Podsednik's. If Podsednik goes on the DL - is Owens given a shot?

Malgar 12
08-15-2005, 09:48 AM
As long as it isn't Willie, I'm happy.

Randar68
08-15-2005, 11:06 AM
Owens seems to be the player in the minors whose game is most like Podsednik's. If Podsednik goes on the DL - is Owens given a shot?

If Pods goes on the DL, they are going to be in a bit of a jam. They need that leadoff hitter to spark the offense since the middle of the order is pretty anemic. However, it is too much to ask, IMO, to bring a guy up from AA less than 12 months from playing in low-A, and expect him to take over that lead-off hitter role.

IMO, you bring up Borch or Anderson as they are already on the 40-man roster, IIRC, and you move Iguchi to lead-off and Rowand in the 2-hole and bat Anderson or Borch somewhere in the 6 or 7 spot in the order.

Either that, or you complete a deal for Griffey, LOL!

California Sox
08-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Either that, or you complete a deal for Griffey, LOL!

Randar, you know this stuff better than I do. Would you trade Chris Young? My feeling is that I wouldn't.

Randar68
08-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Randar, you know this stuff better than I do. Would you trade Chris Young? My feeling is that I wouldn't.

Only for a player of Griffey's caliber. Griffey is paid reasonably when healthy and he helps you win today.

I would be very sad to see Chris Young go, but if it means a World Series Championship, I'd fly to Birmingham and pack his bags for him. We have 3-4 other VERY good OF prospects who maybe don't have Chris' ceiling, but are better bets to be at least MLB regulars.

You don't trade a Chris Young unless you are getting a legit impact player on the MLB squad. IMO, Griffey, with his LH'd bat, is that kind of player. For a Sweeney within the division? No chance.

Flight #24
08-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Randar - are you sure Anderson's on the 40-man? Per this (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=cws)list on Whitesox.com, the only OF not on the 25-man who's on the 40 is Borchard.

Of course, personally, if we were to risk losing Kevin Walker or Ryan Wing to add Anderson to the 40, that would be OK with me.
Or is that list out of date?

Chisoxfn
08-15-2005, 12:24 PM
Anderson isn't on the 40, however the Sox have some options. Namely removing Ryan Wing or transferring Frank to the 60 day DL.

Randar68
08-15-2005, 12:30 PM
Randar - are you sure Anderson's on the 40-man? Per this (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=cws)list on Whitesox.com, the only OF not on the 25-man who's on the 40 is Borchard.

Of course, personally, if we were to risk losing Kevin Walker or Ryan Wing to add Anderson to the 40, that would be OK with me.
Or is that list out of date?

Yep, and I am wrong. I agree, Kevin Walker or Wing are pretty safe bets to pass through waivers or to be "don't cares" should they be claimed.

They need to make a move now if Pods is going to miss more than a couple days and Anderson was expected to be a Sept. call-up anyways.