PDA

View Full Version : Willie Harris in Left Field?

Madvora
08-15-2005, 08:01 AM
Both papers today mention the possibility that Guillen may give Harris a shot to lead off and play LF for Podsednik while he's out.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040814soxbits,1,6230830.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep15.html

''I think [we can] bring Willie so he can play some left field,'' Guillen said. ''I'm going to call down to the minor leagues to put Willie in left field and see how he plays there.''

Tragg
08-15-2005, 08:19 AM
Why?

As a lead-off hitter?

Why?

Get a young player up here.

harwar
08-15-2005, 08:26 AM
I will be very disappointed if Willie Harris gets called back up.
With his speed,if he could only bunt,steal,or hit ...

Optipessimism
08-15-2005, 08:28 AM
I hope Ozzie goes with Anderson over Willie there. Owens is mentioned, but I think Anderson is more likely since he's closer to the big leagues and IMO will be on the 40 man roster soon anyway.

On the other hand, I wonder if Borchard cleared waivers? I'm sure KW put him on the list, so if there is any possibility of a trade that would clear up another roster spot and make Owens available to come up.

That said, I still think Ozzie brings back Willie or decides to go with Timo full time. :angry: If given the choice between the two though, I take Timo any day of the week.

Dan H
08-15-2005, 08:28 AM
There is no way Willie Harris belongs in the lead off spot. You have to be able to reach base to be a lead off hitter. And in left field? This is a desperation move. There has to be a better solution than this.

Madvora
08-15-2005, 08:44 AM
There is no way Willie Harris belongs in the lead off spot. You have to be able to reach base to be a lead off hitter. And in left field? This is a desperation move. There has to be a better solution than this.
You're right. Don't confuse speed with the needed abilities of a lead off hitter because Willie doesn't have em.

- can't hit
- can't walk
- can't bunt
- can't steal

- oh yeah and played 1 game in LF before. I got an idea! Bring up an outfielder!

VenturaFan23
08-15-2005, 08:50 AM
In the words of Darth Vader:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Madvora
08-15-2005, 09:50 AM
I've got a question here. When Scotty was out earlier in the season, he didn't make it to the DL did he? From what I remember he just rested a couple of games right?

wdelaney72
08-15-2005, 10:31 AM
:bundy (sound of glass breaking)

Baby Fisk
08-15-2005, 10:38 AM
This idea is so outlandish that it might be Ozzie's way of saying: "Hey Kenny! Get off your ass and get me some players before I have to start hauling our rejects back up from the minors."

:ozzie
"I tell you what, I'm no Machiavelli, I'm just thinking outside the brick. Square, box, whatever."

Madvora
08-15-2005, 10:39 AM
This idea is so outlandish that it might be Ozzie's way of saying: "Hey Kenny! Get off your ass and get me some players before I have to start hauling our rejects back up from the minors.
Aha! Pack your bags Griff!

Malgar 12
08-15-2005, 10:41 AM
In the words of Darth Vader:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

couldn't have said it any better myself!:D:

Malgar 12
08-15-2005, 10:42 AM
[QUOTE=Baby Fisk]This idea is so outlandish that it might be Ozzie's way of saying: "Hey Kenny! Get off your ass and get me some players before I have to start hauling our rejects back up from the minors."

maybe the reds will take Willie as part of the Griffey package! After all they took D'Angelo!

PaulDrake
08-15-2005, 11:05 AM
Willie Harris or Timo Perez? You can't really expect to make it a WS if this is the $64 thousand dollar question.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-15-2005, 11:24 AM
maybe the reds will take Willie as part of the Griffey package! After all they took D'Angelo!

:KW
"Don't underestimate the value of Willie Harris. This is the *same guy* who beat out D'Angelo Jimenez in the 2003 "World's Tallest Midget" contest. You can't lose trading for this guy!"

:wink:

charlotteknights
08-15-2005, 11:31 AM
It doesn't matter. Anderson was called up last night to fill that spot.

MisterB
08-15-2005, 11:39 AM

There's no offical statement anywhere confirming this.

bafiarocks03
08-15-2005, 01:29 PM
YAY!! I'd LOVE to see my Willie come back up here! But there's no way that I want Scotty to go on the DL! Hopefully it's nothing to serious! And he'll be back soon! Willie coming back here would be aweseom, but not at the cost of losing scotty!

Randar68
08-15-2005, 01:39 PM
There's no offical statement anywhere confirming this.

That poster's name is not meaningless. We'll see, but the Sox usually announce moves like this a few hours before gametime (early afternoon), so we'll see.

It's not uncommon to put players on the plane and make the announcement when they arrive. If there are travel problems, no use making an announcement and move without a player present...

maurice
08-15-2005, 02:14 PM

:gulp:

Brian must be thrilled. Any idea how the "spot" was created?
Podsednik --> DL?
Adkins --> Charlotte?
Other?

Optipessimism
08-15-2005, 02:54 PM
YAY!! I'd LOVE to see my Willie come back up here!

I think you and Willie's mommy are they only two people left in the world who have hope that he can live up to his potential.

I don't think he's doing much these days, so why don't you give him a call? He probably has a car, maybe he can drive you around or something?

LongLiveFisk
08-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Refresh my memory: how good an outfielder is Willie again? We know he has speed but does he take good routes to the ball, etc?

bafiarocks03
08-15-2005, 05:11 PM
Refresh my memory: how good an outfielder is Willie again? We know he has speed but does he take good routes to the ball, etc?

yes he does! He was very good in center field when he played it!!:D:

BigEdWalsh
08-15-2005, 05:15 PM
YAY!! I'd LOVE to see my Willie come back up here! Willie coming back here would be aweseom!

I think, yourself excluded of course, Willie coming back would be cause for a lot of nausea.

balke
08-15-2005, 06:32 PM
I think you and Willie's mommy are they only two people left in the world who have hope that he can live up to his potential.

I don't think he's doing much these days, so why don't you give him a call? He probably has a car, maybe he can drive you around or something?

I never knew Willie's potential cause I never kept up on the Minorleagues til recently, but I'd rather have him on our roster than Timo or Walker or Adkins.

I want to see Anderson play with the team, but Willie wouldn't bother me coming back up. I just wish the guy would stop swinging for hr's late in the game. We just want singles or liner doubles Willie.

I don't think Harris will be a superstar ever, maybe not a starter ever. But, I think he's an above average bench player. Great range, experience at SS and 2B, speedy, and occasionally can swing the bat.

maurice
08-15-2005, 07:07 PM
FWIW, today's Charlotte lineup has Harris at 2B and Gload in RF.
Gload has been 1B/DH pretty much all season.

Garland_IS_God
08-16-2005, 01:55 PM
www.sportsline.com (http://www.sportsline.com) is reporting Podsednik has benn placed on the DL and that the Sox purchased the contract of Brian Anderson. Let's see what the kid can do. :gulp:

mweflen
08-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Hey, I've got an idea! Why not have :timo: lead off? He's due to bring his OBP up by, oh, 100 points!