PDA

View Full Version : My Thoughts on Fenway

alohafri
08-14-2005, 08:53 PM
1. What an incredible dump Fenway is! We waited in the line for the day of game sale tickets and were lucky enough to score two on Friday. We sat in the right field grandstand section...facing the bullpens. We had to turn sideways to see, which was no easy task since my knees were resting on the top of the seat in front of me. We had to get up, and in some cases, get out of the row, in order to let people out. At least they had flush toilets, unlike another "Shrine" which shall remain nameless.

2. Speaking of Wrigley Field, the game is secondary to the "experience." Beachballs galore, and three innings of the wave had to be endured during Friday night's game. We sat next to two women who spent the entire time they were in their seats on the phone with their boyfriends who were sitting somewhere else.

3. They have no beer vendors at Fenway. You have to leave your seat (which, as explained earlier, is no easy feat) and go under the stands to get a beverage of an alcoholic variety. Everyone buying or consuming must show an ID...and I mean EVERYONE regardless of age or apperance of age. The good part is that they have a large variety of beers...everything from Coors Light to Miller Lite to Bud Light to Sam Adams to Guinness.

4. We met some great Sox fans in Fenway (actually of both varieties). A Red Sox fan sitting behind us spoke of how great White Sox fans are and how much he hated the Cubs and their fans. He also hated the fact that Fenway had become such a tourist attraction rather than a baseball park.

5. We had a chance to hang out for a bit with Terry21fg and his buddy while hitting the line on Friday (one at a time, so as not to lose our place). Mrs. Aloha and I owe youse guys a beer. We also tipped a few (okay, a minor understatement) with Steff and Jimmy Zooks, Ozzie Jr., Herm Schneider, and Freddie "The Rock" Garcia at the players' hotel.

6. And a final note on sCrUB fans. It is amazing the number of these mopes who took the trip to Boston in their Cubbie gear to root for the Red Sox. These idiots feel some kind of kinship with Red Sox fans. It ain't happening knuckleheads. Red Sox fans think they are a joke as much as we do. There were these to chicks waiting to get into one of the bars after Friday's game wearing home made shirts that said "Chicago only has one baseball team. Go Red Sox." (Naturally the 'C' in Chicago was the Cubbie logo).

PortlandSoxFan
08-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Shortly before the new owners took over, I was a total anti 'Save Fenway' guy...and while the seats still pretty much suck (you sat in the worst section in the park), and the recent success has made going to a Red Sox game 'trendy', the new owners have done a LOT to make going to Fenway much better than it was a few years ago.

The new concourse kind of behind where you sat was a cramped, dank area just a few years ago...the monster seats look like they have been there forever, and are a fantastic place to watch the game...haven't been in the RF roof tables yet, but they look pretty nice. The fact that they block off Yawkey Way before games has made everything underneath WAY more wide open...and rumors are that they are buying up stuff on Landsdown street to do the same on the other side of the park.

Oh, and before the new owners....Miller Light and Bud Light. And that's about it. Best deal in the park is a Guinness...domestics are $6.00 for 16 oz cups, most 'premiums' are $6.75 for 12 oz cups...but Guinness, Harp, and Smithwicks under the bleachers are $6.75 for 16 oz cups.

I hate the wave and the beach balls as well..but what are you going to do?

The seats do suck, though...even the expensive ones.

LongLiveFisk
08-14-2005, 10:52 PM
We met some great Sox fans in Fenway (actually of both varieties). A Red Sox fan sitting behind us spoke of how great White Sox fans are and how much he hated the Cubs and their fans.
And a final note on sCrUB fans. It is amazing the number of these mopes who took the trip to Boston in their Cubbie gear to root for the Red Sox. These idiots feel some kind of kinship with Red Sox fans. It ain't happening knuckleheads. Red Sox fans think they are a joke as much as we do.

You don't know how happy I am to hear that. I was beginning to think they all (Boston fans) liked the Cubs. I'm starting to think it's more the Cub fans who kiss Red Sox ass than vice-versa. Man these people are pathetic.

hose
08-14-2005, 10:59 PM
Looking at Fenway on tv all I could think of is what a dump it must be.

chitownhawkfan
08-15-2005, 02:15 AM
You don't know how happy I am to hear that. I was beginning to think they all (Boston fans) liked the Cubs. I'm starting to think it's more the Cub fans who kiss Red Sox ass than vice-versa. Man these people are pathetic.

Even if these people dont like each other, they act the same. Wearing pink hats, not paying attention to the game, their woe is us attitude, etc etc. THEY ARE THE CUBS OF THE AL, that will never change.

Dan H
08-15-2005, 08:37 AM
I think Fenway, as Wrigley, is overrated. I have never been there, and I don't have any desire to go. The left field monster is ridiculous. It is time the Red Sox played in a real stadium.

Baby Fisk
08-15-2005, 09:12 AM
I visited Fenway in 1999 (before it became overrun by posers). I enjoyed sitting in the RF bleachers surrounded by squawking, boisterous New Englanders, but of course they were all focussed on what was happening on the field. It must be very different there today. Just look at the fans in the background while the games are going on: lots of roaming around and socializing.

As for the park itself, it didn't strike me as a total dump at the time, but it was pretty cramped in there. I wouldn't want this as my home park. In that sense, it fails the dump/non-dump test.

downstairs
08-15-2005, 09:29 AM
As for the park itself, it didn't strike me as a total dump at the time, but it was pretty cramped in there. I wouldn't want this as my home park. In that sense, it fails the dump/non-dump test.

I agree with you there. I visited when I went to a trade show for sports park vendors.... so we got full run of the park and warning track all night. I loved the place.

But, then I got to thinking... if I lived there, and had to go there for every game, I would get awfully tired of the "quaint" nature of the place.

Terry21fg
08-15-2005, 09:59 AM
5. We had a chance to hang out for a bit with Terry21fg and his buddy while hitting the line on Friday (one at a time, so as not to lose our place). Mrs. Aloha and I owe youse guys a beer. We also tipped a few (okay, a minor understatement) with Steff and Jimmy Zooks, Ozzie Jr., Herm Schneider, and Freddie "The Rock" Garcia at the players' hotel.

Don't worry about the beer.....it was just nice to meet some friendly faces at Wrigley East.

I totally agree with you on a lot of points, the wave...horrible, seats were okay...I guess you can't get much better at a 90year old + stadium. The thing that bothered me most was when they gave Wells a standing ovation for giving up 5 runs in 5 or 6 innings??? The red sox fans were there just to say they were there, lots of cell phones, cameras, beach balls, and "baseball smart fans". One guy was giving Carl a ton of crap for not running out a ground ball. Calling him a loser, worthless, etc...I figured being the smartest baseball fans out there, they would know he had a bum groin muscle and was taking it a little easy?

I definitely preferred Yankee fans to Fenway fans....Yankee fans were buying us drinks and actually knew what was going on during the game. Oh well, good trip, glad to be back home.

1951Campbell
08-15-2005, 10:08 AM
But, then I got to thinking... if I lived there, and had to go there for every game, I would get awfully tired of the "quaint" nature of the place.

My wife and I went to about 25 games there during our time in Boston, and by, oh, the second time in the park it was clear that the Save Fenway! nuts had never really been in the park. If I'm 5'9" and cramped, I can only imagine what it's like for taller folks. And there's nothing quaint about a crick in your neck from seats that face the bullpens.

Fenway
08-15-2005, 10:12 AM
1. What an incredible dump Fenway is! We waited in the line for the day of game sale tickets and were lucky enough to score two on Friday. We sat in the right field grandstand section...facing the bullpens. We had to turn sideways to see, which was no easy task since my knees were resting on the top of the seat in front of me. We had to get up, and in some cases, get out of the row, in order to let people out. At least they had flush toilets, unlike another "Shrine" which shall remain nameless.

don't say I didn't warn you
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=810477&postcount=2

Fenway has become a theme park and now this ownership seems to want to keep the old girl going to 2012 so they can become the first park to turn 100.

With all the cosmetic improvements they have made they have remained silent on fixing the grandstand bowl.

Look as long as they keep getting 35,000 a night paying by far the highest prices in baseball nothing will change.

Ironic part is the Dodgers owner has a parcel along the waterfront that would be perfect for a new park with a new subway line just opened there.

TICKETS
If you don't have tickets, a limited number go on sale 2 hours before the game at Gate C on Lansdowne St. You can usually get Monster standing room.

Scalpers seeing you are from out of town will try to con you. Section 1 is not the best seat in the house, it is close to the worst. Try to avoid Sections 1-8 at all cost, the seats are terrible.

Another problem is the scalpers are selling the same tickets over and over and until you have the ticket scanned you don't know if it valid.

Fans that haven't been hear in a couple of years will notice the improvements but lets face it the park was built in 1912 and it has warts. The grandstand is brutal if you are more than 5'7"" and 150 pounds. 24 seats to a row to boot. Box seats are worth the extra cost.

JohnBasedowYoda
08-15-2005, 11:36 AM
..Herm Schneider...

That man looks like he could take down a keg.

alohafri
08-15-2005, 01:07 PM
It was a blast watching the Sox on the road (even though they lost) and seeing another ballpark. Since I had only been to 2 others (Wrigley and County St. in Milwaukee) where there was always a big contingency of White Sox fans, it was a bit disconcerting at Fenway trying to root for our Sox as there were so few of us there in relation to the BoSox fans, who, as Mr. Aloha pointed out, were decidedly alot like the Wrigley fans.

At one point during Friday's game, the BoSox fans were chanting, and it took me awhile but then I figured out that what they were chanting was "Let's go Red Sawks"--it sounded so funny! They also sang "Sweet Caroline" at the 9th inning (which I had heard was a tradition)--kinda goofy IMO. Oh, and before the game, they played "My Kind of Town" and throughout the game the screen showed different trivia facts about our Sox players, which was cool.

It was great meeting Terry (who is very cute, btw) and Kyle and other Sox fans in Beantown...we saw Sox fans just about everywhere we went! In all, it was a fantastic trip but waaaay too short.

------Mrs. Aloha

steff
08-15-2005, 01:25 PM

He doesn't drink.

steff
08-15-2005, 01:29 PM
Share in the comments by Mr & Mrs Aloha...

Although on Sunday we encountered a bit more of the "tourist Red Sox fan"... A few of them claimed to be ST holders but they sure were acting like asses. If they were sitting by me at Comiskey I would have been embarrassed.

Other than the heat wave and typhoon yesterday it was a decient trip. But likely not one we would make again.

TomBradley72
08-15-2005, 01:37 PM
I agree with you there. I visited when I went to a trade show for sports park vendors.... so we got full run of the park and warning track all night. I loved the place.

I agree....I've been there a few times...I think it's an awesome park to "experience"...totally unique...nothing like it anywhere else in the league. I strongly prefer it over Yankee Stadium (the 70's remodeling seems out of place) and Wrigley (I've been to 20+ ballparks.....those fans ruin that ballpark...such morons...and the food sucks).

But if they were my team....after the "experience" wore off....I'd want a ballpark like ours.

CPditka
08-15-2005, 04:15 PM
I though Boston and fenway was pretty solid. I loved seeing all of the out of town Sox fans, it was really nice meeting Steff (I was the one wearing the Payton Jersey). The ballpark is old, but the fans were very knowledgable where I sat, and I established a pretty nice banter with the fans. Other than the loss, I had a great time, we arrived at the ballpark a little under 2 hrs before the game. I had a nice talk w/ Widger about his pitching abilities, and generally the Sox were super friendly especially considering putting a loss on the board Fri night. Oh yeah, Man So Lee was Man So Lee, awesome.

Good times in general.

mr_genius
08-15-2005, 04:39 PM
meh, i've been to Fenway and really liked the park. Had a great time watching the game. I did have pretty good seats, so that probably had a lot to do with it. I'm sure there's some horrible seats in a park that old. As far as the Red Sox fans there... not too bad for me (nothing compared to moron scrubs fans), maybe I just got lucky.

LongLiveFisk
08-15-2005, 05:03 PM
meh, i've been to Fenway and really liked the park. Had a great time watching the game. I did have pretty good seats, so that probably had a lot to do with it. I'm sure there's some horrible seats in a park that old. As far as the Red Sox fans there... not too bad for me (nothing compared to moron scrubs fans), maybe I just got lucky.

And I think a lot of people are forgetting that some of the seats at Old Comiskey were just as bad, having to turn your body all the way to one side to see the action and some of the obstructed view seats. You can fault the old parks in comparison to the new but not otherwise. That's just the way it was in the early 1900s. Fortunately, things improve over time! :D:

JRIG
08-15-2005, 05:28 PM
don't say I didn't warn you
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=810477&postcount=2

Fenway has become a theme park and now this ownership seems to want to keep the old girl going to 2012 so they can become the first park to turn 100.

With all the cosmetic improvements they have made they have remained silent on fixing the grandstand bowl.

Look as long as they keep getting 35,000 a night paying by far the highest prices in baseball nothing will change.

Ironic part is the Dodgers owner has a parcel along the waterfront that would be perfect for a new park with a new subway line just opened there.

I spent Thursday and Friday at Yankee Stadium, so that might have altered my view on Sunday about Fenway. But I thought Fenway, for what it is, was pretty good. Yankee Stadium, by comparison, was a total dump. Dank, dreary, old, bad sound system.

mr_genius
08-15-2005, 05:42 PM
I spent Thursday and Friday at Yankee Stadium, so that might have altered my view on Sunday about Fenway. But I thought Fenway, for what it is, was pretty good. Yankee Stadium, by comparison, was a total dump. Dank, dreary, old, bad sound system.

Really? I alwas thought the sound system sounded really "cool" at Yankee stadium. I like the natural echo effect. Oh well, the Yankees must agree with you because they plan on building a new stadium.

HotelWhiteSox
08-15-2005, 05:51 PM
Yankee Stadium, by comparison, was a total dump. Dank, dreary, old, bad sound system.

So Shea Stadium without the history?

flo-B-flo
08-15-2005, 11:16 PM
Been there. That place blows. There were some aspects of ol' Sox park i hated too. Fenway sucks.

Daver
08-15-2005, 11:32 PM

How many times can you polish a turd before you realize it will never shine?

SOXintheBURGH
08-15-2005, 11:47 PM

Well put.

santo=dorf
08-16-2005, 01:12 AM
Krispy Kremes come in cardboard boxes, not kegs. :cool:

Fenway
08-16-2005, 11:47 AM

at least the new Boston owners are trying.

The Tribune on the other hand thinks putting a net up to catch falling concrete is showing how much they care about the fan

Fenway in 1999 was really in bad shape and the Yawkey Trust was trying to get the City and State to fund the new park.....put since Massachusetts is broke because of the Big Dig, that went nowhere.

My biggest complaint now is that Fenway has become like Great America. Many happily pay just to say they have been there. I miss the good old days where on a whim after work you could go to the park and get decent seats for most games. Now a fan in Boise has the same shot at seats as someone who lives across the street.

I suspect somewhere around 2015 they will finally decide on building a new park, or gut the old one and play in Foxboro for a year or two.

MRKARNO
08-16-2005, 11:50 AM
I suspect somewhere around 2015 they will finally decide on building a new park, or gut the old one and play in Foxboro for a year or two.

Or they could play at Wrigley for a year. No one would be able to tell the difference. They'd still sell out every game.

Fenway
08-16-2005, 12:19 PM
I will say Fenway has the most interesting seat of any ballpark :?:

http://prescott.imbri.com/bpmagic/BosFenway/P8090092a_funnychair.jpg

LuvSox
08-16-2005, 01:02 PM

The Tribune on the other hand thinks putting a net up to catch falling concrete is showing how much they care about the fan

None of us give a **** about Wrigley either.

wdelaney72
08-16-2005, 01:32 PM
Been there. It's a turd. Blow it up.

JohnBasedowYoda
08-16-2005, 01:50 PM
He doesn't drink.

then he needs to cut back on the fast food

JohnBasedowYoda
08-16-2005, 01:55 PM

are you trying to make the boston owners more appealing in our eyes? we could care less

Sad
08-16-2005, 02:12 PM

or, start drinking...
never too late to discover a new hobby :redneck

Baby Fisk
08-16-2005, 02:22 PM
:herm

"I've just got big bones, that's all."

alohafri
08-16-2005, 03:38 PM
One guy was giving Carl a ton of crap for not running out a ground ball. Calling him a loser, worthless, etc...I figured being the smartest baseball fans out there, they would know he had a bum groin muscle and was taking it a little easy?

They were harder on Crazy Carl than we ever were on Corky Sosa.

alohafri
08-16-2005, 03:43 PM
I will say Fenway has the most interesting seat of any ballpark :?:

http://prescott.imbri.com/bpmagic/BosFenway/P8090092a_funnychair.jpg

Come on you bastads! We can squeeze one more fanny in Fenway Pak!

LongLiveFisk
08-16-2005, 04:16 PM

Wow, JBY, a little harsh there today? :redneck

JohnBasedowYoda
08-16-2005, 04:21 PM
Wow, JBY, a little harsh there today? :redneck

i am johnbasedow, fitness extraordinaire

winning ugly 72
08-16-2005, 05:25 PM
i was at the game at fenway on saturday we were all cramped in our seats and i too was wondering how it would be if you were a bigger person i would agree that it is a wrigley east the fans at on point in the game cheered for a base hit like someone had hit a homerun and another time someone from boston hit a fly ball to center and the fans in front of me screamed "THERE IT GOES" i thought red sox fans knew a lot about the game but then i started to realize that this place had become more of a tourist attraction. i am glad to have gone to the park and i thought boston was a great city

steff
08-16-2005, 05:33 PM

Just a tad bit ignorant..

steff
08-16-2005, 05:34 PM
They were harder on Crazy Carl than we ever were on Corky Sosa.

You got that right.