PDA

View Full Version : Solutions to MAJOR rain delays that definitely cancel games

chisoxfanatic
08-14-2005, 08:19 PM
It was painfully obvious that they couldn't get this one in. And, this isn't the first time this has happened in MLB, as PPD games are quite regular. I don't know why they don't do this to decrease the amount of total PPD games.

The umpires should have the power to, with the approval of the home ballclub, move up the start time to whenever they see fit. If this game started at noon or 1 Boston time, we would have had an official, if not completed game, and there wouldn't be the need to come back on labor day, in the midst of a 10-game, 11-day homestand.

This should go to Selig to consider...I think my idea is very reasonable!

soxjim
08-14-2005, 08:26 PM
I wish they could do that myself. We did that in softball this weekend and it worked out well. We captured the CO REC title. However this is the major leagues despite the disclaimer on the back of your ticket that states time and dates subject to change. I do recall the Marlins did move up the time of their game last year because of a hurricane. My wife took the other road wanting the SOX to take outs if it would of been the 5th inning to get an official game.

TornLabrum
08-14-2005, 08:44 PM
I wish they could do that myself. We did that in softball this weekend and it worked out well. We captured the CO REC title. However this is the major leagues despite the disclaimer on the back of your ticket that states time and dates subject to change. I do recall the Marlins did move up the time of their game last year because of a hurricane. My wife took the other road wanting the SOX to take outs if it would of been the 5th inning to get an official game.

One big difference. 35,000 people weren't planning their day around coming to your softball game.

MarySwiss
08-14-2005, 08:51 PM
One big difference. 35,000 people weren't planning their day around coming to your softball game.

:rolling:

russ99
08-14-2005, 09:01 PM
If this game started at noon or 1 Boston time, we would have had an official, if not completed game, and there wouldn't be the need to come back on labor day,

Yeah - Why was this one a 2:05 start anyway?

If the game was a normal start time, we might have gotten 5 1/2 in.

Then again, doesn't Boston always have that horrible 10:05AM game?

soxjim
08-14-2005, 09:04 PM

To bad it wasn't that Patriot celebration game that starts at that time. I think it may be around Boston Marithon time.

pczarapa
08-14-2005, 09:17 PM

:D: Excellent point!

NDSox12
08-14-2005, 09:31 PM

It's hard to place any blame on Boston for starting at 2:05 since that is the starting time of all White Sox Sunday home games as well.

voodoochile
08-14-2005, 09:32 PM
:D: Excellent point!

And the only one that matters. Without the people paying to watch the game MLB is Sunday softball league...:rolleyes:

SOXintheBURGH
08-14-2005, 10:19 PM
And the only one that matters. Without the people paying to watch the game MLB is Sunday softball league...:rolleyes:

"Okay here's the rules. When you get to first, you chug a beer. At second, you chug a beer. At third, you got to chug a beer. And when you score, you chug another beer..."

"Hey! We know how to play softball!"

PortlandSoxFan
08-14-2005, 10:29 PM

The (Red) Sox started doing 2:05 Sunday games a couple years ago...I strongly suspect that it has something to do with the fact that you can't buy a drink in a bar in Boston before noon on Sundays.

And the morning game you are thinking of is actually an 11:00 start...it is the day of the Boston Marathon....

Railsplitter
08-15-2005, 10:34 AM
Rember. prior to last season, Sunday start times for Sox games were moved to 2 p.m. to accoidate folks who wanted to go to church and a Sox game.

kittle42
08-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Rember. prior to last season, Sunday start times for Sox games were moved to 2 p.m. to accoidate folks who wanted to go to church and a Sox game.

Going to a Sox game IS going to church.

itsnotrequired
08-15-2005, 12:18 PM
"Okay here's the rules. When you get to first, you chug a beer. At second, you chug a beer. At third, you got to chug a beer. And when you score, you chug another beer..."

Umpire: Okay, let's go over the ground rules. You can't leave first until you chug a beer. Any man scoring has to chug a beer. You have to chug a beer at the top of all odd-numbered innings. Oh, and the fourth inning is the beer inning.

Chief Wiggum: Hey, we know how to play softball!

:D:

Sad
08-15-2005, 12:19 PM

I'd be MVP in this league... hands down :D: