PDA

View Full Version : *Official* We had 'em postgame thread

SoxSpeed22
08-14-2005, 07:00 PM
Good job by El Duque givin' us exactly what we wanted. Glad to see that Uribe remembers how to hit to right. I liked Blum today and Widger.
Minnesota tommorow.
Game gets called and Boston keeps their streak.:(:

Fenway
08-14-2005, 07:01 PM
Good job by El Duque givin' us exactly what we wanted. Glad to see that Uribe remembers how to hit to right. I liked Blum today and Widger.
Minnesota tommorow.
Game gets called and Boston keeps their streak.:(:

nobody happy with this

we see you on Labor Day now 1 PM

ChiSox14305635
08-14-2005, 07:02 PM
Naturally the one game that the Sox were winning gets shut down by MLB, but I guess they couldn't wait any longer. :angry:

Nard

HotelWhiteSox
So do they start competely over or go as is?

They should cancel it til the end of the season and only play it if it's needed for the standings

anewman35
08-14-2005, 07:03 PM

If that's true, I really hope that the Sox don't send a full team to Boston (in-between 2 home games) for one game. Send a team of almost all minor leaguers, I almost think it's better to lose than to make the regulars do all that traveling.

CHISOXFAN13
08-14-2005, 07:04 PM
nobody happy with this

Oh please. The Yankees won today and were this close to inching to within four.

Your team was down 5-2 in the fourth to the best team in baseball and you aren't happy about it? Please.

CHISOXFAN13
08-14-2005, 07:05 PM
So do they start competely over or go as is?

They should cancel it til the end of the season and only play it if it's needed for the standings

That makes too much sense. It's a lose-lose situation here. The Sox lost a game they were in command of and now are forced to travel to Boston smack dab in the middle of a homestand.

:angry:

mr_genius
08-14-2005, 07:07 PM
That makes too much sense. It's a lose-lose situation here. The Sox lost a game they were in command of and now are forced to travel to Boston smack dab in the middle of a homestand.

yea, this sucks

booo!

sthbndsox
08-14-2005, 07:08 PM
when is the game being replayed?

HotelWhiteSox
08-14-2005, 07:09 PM
Was there really no chance of rain letting up, or how much had to do with Espn not wanting a game going on during their Sunday game?

PaleHoseGeorge
08-14-2005, 07:10 PM
You guys talk about Ozzie's "B" team? Brother, you haven't seen a "B" team till you see the dregs Ozzie picks to make the 24 hour round-trip to Baaaaahstin for the Labor Day makeup game. Plenty of AAA callups you can bet. If I'm Ozzie I don't take any of my everyday players or rotation starters... let them spend the day in Chicago with their families.

This will be Ozzie's "C" team, or maybe even "D" team.

:cool:

NSSoxFan
08-14-2005, 07:11 PM
It will be interesting to see if there are any dark clouds in THIS post-game thread.

:cool:

PAPChiSox729
08-14-2005, 07:12 PM

Eh, I woudn't say we had that game won. I think we would have won it but to say we were in command of a 3-run game against Boston through 4 innings is being a little too confident for me. Anyways, today sucked.

BeviBall!
08-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Baseball lays a big egg here. Now we have 21 games in 22 days. Ridiculous. Why make them hang out for all this time just to call it? If they knew the forecast, why even trot out there to begin with?

Pasqua's Posers
08-14-2005, 07:17 PM
nobody happy with this

IF YOU ARE A RED CUBS FAN, WHAT ARE YOU DOING ON THIS BOARD AND AS A CHURCH ELDER? PLEASE, ENLIGHTEN ME

soxjim
08-14-2005, 07:18 PM
Wish they would of called it sooner. Checked the radar myself and even I could tell the rain would not stop. I think the Labor day game will be a waste of time for both teams. Especially for the SOX who will be in the middle of a home stand. No sense at all MERCY!

GiveMeSox
08-14-2005, 07:19 PM
Baseball lays a big egg here. Now we have 21 games in 22 days. Ridiculous. Why make them hang out for all this time just to call it? If they knew the forecast, why even trot out there to begin with?

Exactly, they circumvented the FLorida vs Montreal last year. If the forecast calls for rain all afernoon but not im the morniong DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Make the game a night game or make an earlier start. What they did was not very fair at all. If anything they should just postpone it now and only reschedule it if the game would be meaningful in the end by any means.

MarySwiss
08-14-2005, 07:21 PM

Excuse me, but before we all panic:

First: The Sox did not "lose a game they were in command of." It was the fourth inning.
Second: Has anyone yet determined by an authority--and I do not consider NESP, or whatever the hell their acronym is, an authority--that this game will be made up?

Again, as I recall, lost games deep in the season are only replayed if they have significance, i.e. their outcome could afect the final standings. The mere fact that the Sox and Wrong Sox both have Labor Day off does not necessarily negate this premise.

Therefore--unless someone actually KNOWS something to the contrary--let's wait and see, shall we?

Pasqua's Posers
08-14-2005, 07:24 PM

First: The Sox did not "lose a game they were in command of." It was the fourth inning.
Second: Has anyone yet determined by an authority--and I do not consider NESP, or whatever the hell their acronym is, an authority--that this game will be made up?

Again, as I recall, lost games deep in the season are only replayed if they have significance, i.e. their outcome could afect the final standings. The mere fact that the Sox and Wrong Sox both have Labor Day off does not necessarily negate this premise.

Therefore--unless someone actually KNOWS something to the contrary--let's wait and see, shall we?

FROM ESPN WEB SITE:
The Game Has Been Postponed Due To Rain And No Make Up Date Has Been Announced.probables: Min - Kyle Lohse (7-11, 4.21) Cha - Jose Contreras (7-6, 4.18)

MarySwiss
08-14-2005, 07:30 PM
FROM ESPN WEB SITE:
The Game Has Been Postponed Due To Rain And No Make Up Date Has Been Announced.probables: Min - Kyle Lohse (7-11, 4.21) Cha - Jose Contreras (7-6, 4.18)

Thank you, Pasqua; you are a voice of sanity! My point exactly. This game might very well not be rescheduled--in which case, our magic number will be reduced by 1.

People, get a grip! This is not a lose situation; at worst, it's a wash!

ilsox7
08-14-2005, 07:30 PM
IF YOU ARE A RED CUBS FAN, WHAT ARE YOU DOING ON THIS BOARD AND AS A CHURCH ELDER? PLEASE, ENLIGHTEN ME

BECAUSE HE DOESN'T TROLL AND PROVIDES A LOT OF GOOD INFORMATION THAT A LOT OF US ENJOY.

Do you have to yell? Hope you're enlightened, though I doubt it.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-14-2005, 07:35 PM
FROM ESPN WEB SITE:

IF it is made up, is the game picked up where it left off or played over in its entirety?

Steelrod
08-14-2005, 07:36 PM

Almost have to make this game up before the end of the season. If they wait until the end, and if either team is 1/2 game in or out of something, the game would then be played, which might force another game to be played the next day, instead of the first game of the playoffs. Which forces other teams(maybe) not to know if they are playing a game two days after end of season, or where they are playing! This is a greater nightmare for both, if not all three teams! (or perhaps even more)

Pasqua's Posers
08-14-2005, 07:39 PM
BECAUSE HE DOESN'T TROLL AND PROVIDES A LOT OF GOOD INFORMATION THAT A LOT OF US ENJOY.

Do you have to yell? Hope you're enlightened, though I doubt it.

Forgive the caps...at work and need to type in them for a bunch of things.

Just curious...thanks for the enlightenment...:bandance:

MarySwiss
08-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Almost have to make this game up before the end of the season. If they wait until the end, and if either team is 1/2 game in or out of something, the game would then be played, which might force another game to be played the next day, instead of the first game of the playoffs. Which forces other teams(maybe) not to know if they are playing a game two days after end of season, or where they are playing! This is a greater nightmare for both, if not all three teams! (or perhaps even more)

If...if...if....
The reason a season is played is basically to determine position rounds for the playoffs. The playoffs are determined once the season is over, and not before. For that reason, scheduling a game between the Sox and those other bozoes, based upon what MIGHT happen if MAYBE somebody got hot is nuts.

Also, and correct me if I am wrong, the playoffs will start on October 4th, with all tie-breakers and what not being played the day before--an off-day.

Threrfore, getting once again back to the argument about whether or not a make-up game between the Sox and those other guys needs to be played, my point is that it all depends on what the circumstances are at that time. The basic fact remains that a makeup date has not been announced. Until one is, speculation is useless.

Paulwny
08-14-2005, 07:52 PM

Plus, if Ozzie didn't start his "normal" line up and an "A" pitcher for this make up game (if at the end of the season) holy hell would break out since the sox would have a direct affect on the play-off team they may face, integrity of the game would be questioned.

Soxfest
08-14-2005, 08:03 PM
Got a sneaky feeling if boston was up 5-2 we would of found a way to play 5 :angry:

cheeses_h_rice
08-14-2005, 08:11 PM
A shame that the one game the good Sox had the big lead in is the one that gets negated.

The make up game, if it happens on Labor Day, will still matter for both teams, as the White Sox probably won't be clinching 'til mid-September or so.

But I still think the BoSox caught a break today.

TaylorStSox
08-14-2005, 08:17 PM

Fenway's contributed alot more to this site than you. He's not a troll and is always respectful.

voodoochile
08-14-2005, 08:29 PM
Actually, the Sox did just fine today because the toons lost...

What's that magic number down to now?

If I am a toons fan, I am pissed. Sox are playing Boston in Boston and in danger of getting swept and the Toons get the DRays at home for 3. So naturally the toons get swept...:o: :D:

:toonsowner:
"Anyone who thinks this team can catch the Sox is crazy..."

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

cheeses_h_rice
08-14-2005, 08:33 PM
If the Sox go 23-24 the rest of the year, the Jndjans would now have to go 32-11 (.744) just to tie them.

Life is good.

:)

Steelrod
08-14-2005, 08:41 PM
If...if...if....
The reason a season is played is basically to determine position rounds for the playoffs. The playoffs are determined once the season is over, and not before. For that reason, scheduling a game between the Sox and those other bozoes, based upon what MIGHT happen if MAYBE somebody got hot is nuts.

Also, and correct me if I am wrong, the playoffs will start on October 4th, with all tie-breakers and what not being played the day before--an off-day.

Threrfore, getting once again back to the argument about whether or not a make-up game between the Sox and those other guys needs to be played, my point is that it all depends on what the circumstances are at that time. The basic fact remains that a makeup date has not been announced. Until one is, speculation is useless.
If we have to play makeup game at end of season, the result of that game can create a tie between two teams, and may make another game needed to break a tie. There aren't any more open dates before playoffs.

Mr. White Sox
08-14-2005, 08:47 PM
IF it is made up, is the game picked up where it left off or played over in its entirety?

Played over in its entirety...:(:
Blum, Widger and Uribe could've used today stat-wise...this is a tough "loss", as the Sox were forced to hang out in the fendump visitors locker room for five extra hours, which throws off their getaway day plans quite a bit. Meh, rain is rain, there's nothing any of us can do about it. If the good Sox were losing 11-0 and it was rained out, Boston fans would be screaming bloody murder. The main thing is...
:indianslose

DarkCloudDropo
08-14-2005, 08:52 PM
A shame that the one game the good Sox had the big lead in is the one that gets negated.

The make up game, if it happens on Labor Day, will still matter for both teams, as the White Sox probably won't be clinching 'til mid-September or so.

But I still think the BoSox caught a break today.

As a few others have pointed out, 5-2 in the 4th doesn't mean the Sox got screwed. In fact they had a bigger lead in the first game and still managed to lose.
I agree it's a shame the game didn't get completed but maybe it prevented us from losing 3 straight also.

DaleJRFan
08-14-2005, 09:06 PM
stupid question, but...

Statistics from the game will be wiped out, and the contest will be replayed in its entirety. Will JD, PK and CW get to keep their RBI and HR stats from today??? That would completely suck ass if their stats were washed. Will El Duque get to keep his IP, Ks, etc... and just NOT get a W???

Unregistered
08-14-2005, 09:07 PM
stupid question, but...

Will JD, PK and CW get to keep their RBI and HR stats from today??? That would completely suck ass if their stats were washed. Will El Duque get to keep his IP, Ks, etc... and just NOT get a W???
Everything is reset - it's like they didn't even play today. No stats count.

UofCSoxFan
08-14-2005, 09:09 PM
If we have to play makeup game at end of season, the result of that game can create a tie between two teams, and may make another game needed to break a tie. There aren't any more open dates before playoffs.

True...in which case the playoffs would be pushed back a day for the teams involved. I really don't see them making the Sox travel across time zones in the middle of a homestand.

Chances are this game won't be played, and if it is it will not impact the Sox one way or another. In that case, the Sox can play their September call ups and rest their starters. Forget this "intergrety of the game" crap. You play your scrubs, but as long as they play hard and play to win, they are still respecting the integrety of the game. I mean should NFL teams play their starting QB in week 17 even though they've already clinched home field? NO. If a team doesn't make the playoffs b/c we lose to Boston in the make up game, they have no one to blame but themselves for not winning 2 more games in the regular season.

CHISOXFAN13
08-14-2005, 09:13 PM

Ahh, my bad. I worded my post poorly. I am more upset about wasting a whole day in Boston when there was no reason to. I should have said the rain cost the Sox a game they were in command of.

I was rattled :)

Unregistered
08-14-2005, 09:33 PM
True...in which case the playoffs would be pushed back a day for the teams involved. I really don't see them making the Sox travel across time zones in the middle of a homestand.

Chances are this game won't be played, and if it is it will not impact the Sox one way or another. In that case, the Sox can play their September call ups and rest their starters. Forget this "intergrety of the game" crap. You play your scrubs, but as long as they play hard and play to win, they are still respecting the integrety of the game. I mean should NFL teams play their starting QB in week 17 even though they've already clinched home field? NO. If a team doesn't make the playoffs b/c we lose to Boston in the make up game, they have no one to blame but themselves for not winning 2 more games in the regular season.
What would be awesome/hilarious is if the game DID have to played because the Red Sox were tied with the Yankees for the division and the Sox already had theirs wrapped up, so we sent a handful of minor leaguers to get the game out of the way, who subsequently beat the living **** out of the Red Sox, a team desperately trying to win the game. :D:

UofCSoxFan
08-14-2005, 09:44 PM
one could only dream :)

SoxSpeed22
08-14-2005, 09:49 PM
Chances are this game won't be played, and if it is it will not impact the Sox one way or another. In that case, the Sox can play their September call ups and rest their starters. Forget this "intergrety of the game" crap. You play your scrubs, but as long as they play hard and play to win, they are still respecting the integrety of the game.The Sox have a 10 game homestand to start September, if they try it on labor day, the Sox would have to go well out of their way to play Boston and then get on the plane back to Chicago. I agree with the use our scrubs idea, if the game is played.

billyvsox
08-14-2005, 10:17 PM
Allow me to be the voice of conspiracy.

I understand there was a window when the lightning stopped until the heavy rain was coming in (about 1 and a half hours). This would have allowed about 3 more innnings to be played (along with warmup time), before another delay would have occured.

That would have made it at least an OFFICIAL game. Chances are good we would have been ahead. With the Red Sox being at home, I'm sure they convinced the umps to hold off and not play during the dry window to avoid another stoppage,,,instead wainting all day until the field was unplayable and cancelled.

This is BS....we ended up waiting around all day only to be denied a much needed victory. At a minimum, we need to send a complaint to the league even though it won't do anything. Going back to Boston for 1 game later in the season is unacceptable and I hope the Sox brass makes themselves heard regarding this.

When will we start getting the respect we deserve (best record all year long) instead of it all being about the YANKS and RED SOX. I sure ESPN's take on this will be about the the poor Red Sox had to delay flight plans for their long trip to Detroit!

LuvSox
08-14-2005, 10:17 PM
Send Minnie Minoso!!!!!!!!

Maybe he would get a hit and break his own record again.:D:

anewman35
08-14-2005, 10:20 PM
This is BS....we ended up waiting around all day only to be denied a much needed victory.

A "much needed victory"? Huh? We're the best team in baseball, we have a 12.5 game lead. Sure, it's always better to have a bigger lead, but until October 4th, NO victory for us is a "much needed victory".

billyvsox
08-14-2005, 10:23 PM
I meant "much needed" in terms of a happy flight home to get ready to bury the Twinkees, instead of a pissed off bunch who sat around all day and got home late.

Tragg
08-14-2005, 10:23 PM
nobody happy with this

***** - right

This is just more Bosox BS... you'd think ESPN is running MLB. Why couldn't they wait until 8PM to cancel the game? They both play night games tomorrow in Detroit and Chicgo, hardly long trips.

We now have ONE off day between August 23 and the end of the season.

Mohoney
08-15-2005, 01:03 AM
***** - right

This is just more Bosox BS... you'd think ESPN is running MLB. Why couldn't they wait until 8PM to cancel the game? They both play night games tomorrow in Detroit and Chicgo, hardly long trips.

We know have ONE off day between August 23 and the end of the season.

Hopefully, a couple of games against the Royals get rained out, since those DEFINITELY won't be made up.

Lip Man 1
08-15-2005, 01:22 AM
All things considered I don't have any issues with not playing today. At least the bullpen got some rest. It's to bad they waited five hours before calling this thing though.

It's another game off the schedule, Cleveland lost and I don't think they will be playing a make up game for this one unless Boston needs it the day after the regular season ends.

Lip

Steelrod
08-15-2005, 07:11 AM
All things considered I don't have any issues with not playing today. At least the bullpen got some rest. It's to bad they waited five hours before calling this thing though.

It's another game off the schedule, Cleveland lost and I don't think they will be playing a make up game for this one unless Boston needs it the day after the regular season ends.

Lip
I agree with you! Boston is more likely to need it than us. One issue however, does Bud force the first string if game is needed? No too concerned, as I still can't figure the 8 men who are our first string! By the end of the season, Ozzie will have started 50 different lineups and batting orders! First string with us is no more that a matter of opinion!

harwar
08-15-2005, 07:24 AM
I don't know why they waited so long either.
There was a huge squall line running almost straight west-east feeding the boston area with new cells stretching out to the west a couple of hundred miles.
Anyone that can read radar knew by mid-afternoon that there would be no more baseball yesterday.

Fenway
08-15-2005, 09:20 AM
Lucchino was just on WEEI explaining the problem with a reschedule.

If the game was played Sept 5, the Red Sox would go 30 days without an off date so the players are balking. However MLB does not want to play on October 3. They are worried that another hurricane season like last year and the downpours that happen in the northeast because of the storms will cause more rainouts in September.

If the players refuse to OK Labor Day, the only other alternative would be on September 12th where Boston would have to play in the late morning in Chicago then continue to Toronto and play a second game that night.

Given that option Lucchino believes the players will agree to the 5th.

maurice
08-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Widger confirmed on the radio this morning that the rain stopped for 1+ hour, but the grounds crew told the umps that it would start raining any minute. He estimated that they could have played another 3 innings easy. If he's right, that's a chicken**** move by the defending champs.

captain54
08-15-2005, 03:19 PM
with the way the Red Sox have been hitting, a three run lead is nothing......and the White Sox haven't exactly been the sharpest lately, in all departments....so consider the possibility that the White Sox avoided a sweep and call it a day....

maurice
08-15-2005, 03:32 PM
The PPD cost us a huge advantage. In addition to the lead we held, it presumably would have been our bullpen (3.15 ERA - 3rd in MLB) v. their bullpen (5.20 ERA - 29th in MLB).

maurice
08-15-2005, 06:17 PM
More on the "delay" from the Sox official 'blog (http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/inside_the_white_sox/):
Yesterday was frustrating in that had we been able to quickly begin playing the game after the second rain delay, we (the White Sox) felt there was enough time to make it an official game. The weather did not cooperate, and we waited quite a while to see if we could resume play. Of course, once the game was called (about 8 p.m. Boston time, IIRC), the rain let up quite a bit.

Fenway
08-15-2005, 06:45 PM
for what it is worth Ozzie had no complaints

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/08/15/resilient_fans_were_good_til_last_drop?mode=PF

Using as much patience as they could, the umpires waited for an opening. A radar showed it was raining ''cats and dogs" to the southeast, Reed said, and that the deluge would be coming to Fenway soon. Knowing this awaited, Reed met with managers Terry Francona and Ozzie Guillen to explain why, though skies stayed closed for roughly an hour and a half at one stretch, they had to wait for baseball to resume.

''We gave it every chance we could," Reed said. ''After waiting four hours and having no favorable forecast, it was enough for us to call it. When you've waited a while, it takes a while for the crew to get the drains started, to get the field prepped for the next go around. What we had to do is consider all that, and by the time we were done, the next batch of rain was on its way.

''You try to give both teams a fair shot at it and go from there. You try to be cognizant of the fact that it's the last meeting between the two teams, which makes it our game."

From the perspectives both of visiting manager and the fans, the umpires were praised for the way they went about trying to preserve the game.

''If the umpires treated it a different way, I would have minded," Guillen said. ''But they were real professional. They came to me every half hour to give me updates. They showed me the computer, something I didn't understand. They showed me the weather, how it's going to come on and off. They were protecting both pitching staffs. There's no reason to go in there and throw one inning -- don't play anymore and we run out pitchers."