PDA

View Full Version : I hate names on uniforms...

alevitan
08-14-2005, 01:28 PM
Since this team has proved that the name on the front of the uniform is all that matters, I suggest that for the month of September or perhaps for Fan Appreciation Day, the names on the back of the uniforms be removed.

Thanks,

Arnie Levitan

Optipessimism
08-14-2005, 01:41 PM
Since this team has proved that the name on the front of the uniform is all that matters, I suggest that for the month of September or perhaps for Fan Appreciation Day, the names on the back of the uniforms be removed.

Thanks,

Arnie Levitan

Nice thought, but then how will the ESPN analysts recgonize us? Freddy Guzman would probably turn into Ozzie Hampton.

santo=dorf
08-14-2005, 01:41 PM
:?:
Since when has every White Sox fan been in favor of removing the names on the back of jerseys? Or is this some kind of test to weed out the bandwagon fans?

Optipessimism
08-14-2005, 01:44 PM
:?:
Since when has every White Sox fan been in favor of removing the names on the back of jerseys? Or is this some kind of test to weed out the bandwagon fans?

Personally I'd rather see the jerseys without the names on the back, but that's just me.

Jurr
08-14-2005, 01:56 PM
I absolutely despise that trend. Let the Red Sux, Cubs, and Yankees do that crap. Let's not rock the boat.

wsoxfan
08-14-2005, 02:07 PM
i like having the names on the back of the jerseys so i say keep 'em on there :smile:

sox7235
08-14-2005, 02:21 PM
I absolutely despise that trend. Let the Red Sux, Cubs, and Yankees do that crap. Let's not rock the boat.

I agree, The Dodgers and Giants are doing it now too. Leave the names there.

Clembasbal
08-14-2005, 02:33 PM
The Cubs were one of the last teams to put names on the back of their uniforms about 5-7 years ago. This was for home games because for a long time before that they had the names on their backs for road games.

They recently went back, because that is the trend. I recall reading something out uniform history once, and I could be wrong...but I think I am right in saying that the Sox were the first team to put names on their backs.

In any rate, even if that is not true, I believe they need to stay. We are the White Sox, not the Cubs, Yankees or Giants. We have our own traditions. We need to keep the names on the back, they look good!

Daver
08-14-2005, 02:48 PM
Leave the names. get rid of the numbers.

Now that would be a throwback move.

Baby Fisk
08-14-2005, 02:54 PM
One of the White Sox' many pioneering innovations was putting names on unies in the first place (thank you Bill Veeck). It's a White Sox tradition.

LuvSox
08-14-2005, 03:28 PM
Why waste the time and money? I'm pretty sure whomever sews the jerseys doesn't do it for free, the names would go right back on for the playoffs.

Brian26
08-14-2005, 04:53 PM

Thanks,

Arnie Levitan

I like the names on the back of the jerseys. Keep them there!

hose
08-14-2005, 05:14 PM

Thanks,

Arnie Levitan

No way, leave the names alone.

SOXfnNlansing
08-14-2005, 05:58 PM
ESPN analysts recgonize us? :tealtutor:

PaleHoseGeorge
08-14-2005, 06:22 PM

Thanks,

Arnie Levitan

Hey Arnie, why don't you just make a big sign that says, "Yuppie Scum Go Home!" You're a real Sox Fan. We wouldn't want anyone to come out to the ballpark and feel welcome or anything. We can't play the "victim card" if the Sox ever got popular, right? And wouldn't that be a shame...

:kukoo:

Palehose13
08-14-2005, 06:29 PM
One of the White Sox' many pioneering innovations was putting names on unies in the first place (thank you Bill Veeck). It's a White Sox tradition.

Yep.

LongLiveFisk
08-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Terrible idea. The names must stay!

MarySwiss
08-14-2005, 06:48 PM
No way, leave the names alone.

Agree; national media have a hard enough time recognizing us as it is. You wouldn't want to make them do any--oh, I don't know--research, would you?

Jerko
08-14-2005, 08:22 PM
What's worse? The idea of taking the names off or actually emailing Boyer about it? :rolleyes: Good grief.

chitownhawkfan
08-15-2005, 01:10 AM

Thanks,

Arnie Levitan

I Smell A Cubs fan, is this engineer Arnie from WGN? Either way, if you dont like names on jerseys go to the urinal, no real Sox fan would ever reccomend this.

ClaudelSleptHere
08-15-2005, 03:50 AM
I Smell A Cubs fan, is this engineer Arnie from WGN? Either way, if you dont like names on jerseys go to the urinal, no real Sox fan would ever reccomend this.

I don't care if they have the names on or not, but I'm not sure this should be the test of a real Sox fan. I know a lot of real Sox fans, and they don't always agree on everything.

chaerulez
08-15-2005, 09:45 AM
I don't care if they have the names on or not, but I'm not sure this should be the test of a real Sox fan. I know a lot of real Sox fans, and they don't always agree on everything.

Agreed, I don't think not wanting names on unis makes you any less of a Sox fan at all. Also keep in my mind the Sox used to wear the pinstripe unis without names just 10 years ago. Does that make us the Yankees or Cubs? No, it still makes us the Sox. Names or not it doesn't really matter to me.

CaptainBallz
08-15-2005, 10:08 AM
Leave the names. Waaaaayyy too trendy right now. Might as well throw the guys in manpris while we're at it.

mrfourni
08-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by chitownhawkfan
I Smell A Cubs fan, is this engineer Arnie from WGN?

Isn't he dead?

jackbrohamer
08-15-2005, 11:58 AM
Isn't he dead?

Yes. It is arrogant for teams to leave names off of uniforms, as shown by the teams that have done it.

Hangar18
08-15-2005, 12:07 PM

Thanks,

Arnie Levitan

SORRY ARNIE. I couldnt disagree more. The SOX were the innovators
of this ....... lets not all jump off a bridge just because all our friends are
doing it. When I see a team without names on the uniforms, reminds me
of high school teams who CANT AFFORD to put names on. We dont need
that stigma being reinforced. Names are awesome.

tebman
08-15-2005, 12:49 PM
Why is this an issue? As Daver and others pointed out, the White Sox were the first team to think to do this. Specifically, it was Bill Veeck who thought to do it. I remember an interview with him long ago where he was asked about it -- he said he got flack from the other owners and from sportswriters who said that he was desecrating the game by doing that. His reply was (paraphrased), "I just thought people might like to know the players' names."

The Sox are the team of common sense. Leave the jerseys alone.

Optipessimism
08-15-2005, 01:43 PM
I'd rather see the uniforms without the names on the back because I think it says 'team' more than the uniforms normally do with the names. Previous Sox teams IMO were more about individual stats and performances, but this team is just the opposite.

BTW, I can't stand how people are saying that since Veeck did it we have to. And what's even worse is saying that if the Sox did this they would be following suit with other teams like the Yanks and Flubs. It's simply a matter of preference, not bandwagon jumping.

Also, are fans really that stupid that they can't look at the video screen and read the name of the guy up to bat? Do they really need to read the back of a uniform to know that the guy running into walls in CF is Aaron Rowand and not AJ Pierzynski? And even if someone didn't know, he could always ask the fan sitting next to him.

StockdaleForVeep
08-15-2005, 02:02 PM

Thanks,

Arnie Levitan

I suppose all the new people who havent been watchin the sox will just have to buy the media guide

Hell, i dont know the yankees or redsox lineups by heart and theyre the top of mainstream

I think this fits perfectly

:threadsucks
:threadblows:

TimoandAaron
08-15-2005, 02:05 PM

Thanks,

Arnie Levitanwait, you've been here since january, and your one post has something to do with not putting names on the back of jersey's? How long have you lurked here?

Then, your first post is a thread that is stupid and should not be thought about at all. You are saying the Sox should be like the Cubs and the Red Sox.

My first thought that comes to my mind when i read your post was.....:dtroll:

Optipessimism
08-15-2005, 02:30 PM
wait, you've been here since january, and your one post has something to do with not putting names on the back of jersey's? How long have you lurked here?

Then, your first post is a thread that is stupid and should not be thought about at all. You are saying the Sox should be like the Cubs and the Red Sox.

My first thought that comes to my mind when i read your post was.....:dtroll:

So what if he waited so long to post? Maybe he didn't want to post something unless it contributed to the discussion? :rolleyes:

Take your comments for example. Blah, blah, blah, stupid, you shouldn't think like that, blah, blah, blah, you're a Cubs fan. I'd rather not post at all than post that.

soxgirl617
08-15-2005, 04:51 PM
I would prefer that the names stay. To me, the names are convenient and fan friendly, especially for kids. If we want to increase the size of the Sox fan base, it's important to hook the kids. Not everyone can get to a game to ask in person, and there isn't always a handy name on the screen (either video at the game or on TV). (I've been a season ticket holder since 1991, so I am no bandwagon fan, and yes, I can reel off the Sox roster.)

Perhaps most importantly, for me: I think it's ridiculous to say that names/no names on the jersey have a darn thing to do with whether the team plays as a team, or as a collection of individuals.

Leave the names.

chisoxfan64
08-15-2005, 06:29 PM

Exactly, hit the nail on the head. The names stay.

MIgrenade
08-15-2005, 06:49 PM
So what if he waited so long to post? Maybe he didn't want to post something unless it contributed to the discussion? :rolleyes:

Take your comments for example. Blah, blah, blah, stupid, you shouldn't think like that, blah, blah, blah, you're a Cubs fan. I'd rather not post at all than post that.

I waited a long time to post for the very reason that I not get lambasted when I did. I don't think this guy is coming back.
I like the names because sometimes guys grow crazy sideburns and I can't tell who they are even when they are at third base...it can be very confusing.
Add teal in your mind if needed.

alevitan
09-01-2005, 01:07 AM
While I'm an engineer, I never worked for WGN. Thanks for the feedback on the idea. Let's get on to the next thread...

SouthSide_HitMen
09-01-2005, 01:19 AM
Leave the names. get rid of the numbers.

Now that would be a throwback move.

http://www.blackbetsy.com/imagefarm/tycobb-joejackson2.jpg

Ultimate Old School - No Name, No Number (Ty Cobb & Shoeless Joe).

Huisj
09-01-2005, 09:36 PM
Innovations and changes are made because they make things better. Putting names on jerseys seems to be an improvement over not having names because it helps fans identify who players are on both teams. It's sad when being trendy or cool seems to take modern-day innovations backwards.

I think typewriters sound cool, a lot cooler than computer keyboards, especially when you watch old detective shows on nick at nite. But that doesn't mean I think we should or will go back to using typewriters instead of computers.

Bias ply tires with neat white walls look neat on old classic cars. This doesn't mean I should put them on my Focus hatchback. Radials are better.

ok, enough analogies. sorry

Stroker Ace
09-01-2005, 09:40 PM
I absolutely despise that trend. Let the Red Sux, Cubs, and Yankees do that crap. Let's not rock the boat.Yeah, I like the names on the back of the jersey. The jersey's just don't look complete unless the names are on the back.

CallMeNuts
09-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Leave the names. And instead of the number, put their initials.

santo=dorf
09-02-2005, 01:40 PM
Leave the names. And instead of the number, put their initials.

I say you're nuts. :D:

Tekijawa
09-02-2005, 02:55 PM
I say we put the names on the Pant legs!

http://www.logosoftwear.com/images_graphics/hoodedsweatshirtjackets/2493_triple.jpg
Save the Backs For Advertising!!!!! I also think that the players shouldn't have Numbers BUT LETTERS.... Imagine Gene Honda yelling out "First Baseman, Letter F, PAUL KONERKO!"

SOXSINCE'70
09-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Nice thought, but then how will the ESPN analysts recgonize us? Freddy Guzman would probably turn into Ozzie Hampton.

And what about the player Jeff Brantley bragged about in April??
C'mon,guys.You remember Chad Hermanson,right????:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:dustin:

Chips
09-04-2005, 09:48 PM
http://www.blackbetsy.com/imagefarm/tycobb-joejackson2.jpg

Ultimate Old School - No Name, No Number (Ty Cobb & Shoeless Joe).

My favorite ballplayer next to one of another one of my favorites.