PDA

View Full Version : When the White Sox Played "Home" Games @ County Stadium

TomBradley72
08-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Below is a list of the White Sox "home" games played at Milwaukee's County Stadium in 1968 and 1969....anyone remember seeing these on television? photos? any particular memories? what did Sox fans and the media think of this?

It seems like a pretty "quiet" chapter in our history.

White Sox "Home" Games Played at County Stadium:

05/15/1968 AL California
05/28/1968 AL Baltimore
06/17/1968 AL Cleveland
06/24/1968 AL Minnesota
07/11/1968 AL New York
07/22/1968 AL Oakland
08/02/1968 AL Washington
08/08/1968 AL Boston
08/26/1968 AL Detroit
04/23/1969 AL California
05/22/1969 AL Detroit
05/28/1969 AL New York
06/11/1969 AL Cleveland
06/16/1969 AL Seattle
07/02/1969 AL Minnesota
07/07/1969 AL Oakland
08/06/1969 AL Washington
08/13/1969 AL Boston
09/01/1969 AL Baltimore
09/26/1969 AL Kansas City

JimH
08-14-2005, 12:41 PM
There's a picture of one of the White Sox games, actually the pre-game ceremony for the 5/15/68 game in the Sporting News book "Take Me Out To The Ballpark". It shows the White Sox players lined up down the 1st base line for the National Anthem.

When they sold County Stadium seats at the yard sale when it was being torn down, they had info on a place in St. Paul MN that specializes in stadium seats called Seitz and Co., I don't know if they're still in business. Anyway, they sold a hologram small gold placque you could mount onto the seat back, and on it showed Chicago White Sox, 1968-69. I have one in my basement.

I vaguely remember watching a few of those games on tv, pretty sure it was Channel 32, and my father being disgusted because he knew it was a thinly veiled attempt to yank the Sox out of Chicago. I recall him saying it was a similar situation to the Chicago Cardinals.

cheeses_h_rice
08-14-2005, 04:08 PM
What was the reasoning behind the Sox playing there?

ewokpelts
08-14-2005, 04:11 PM
:tool

ahem.....i was trying to get a team to replace my beloved braves at county stadium......

chisoxt
08-14-2005, 04:17 PM

I believe that the motivation was twofold:
One, in those days, Sox couldn't draw flies at Comiskey, but did well at the gate with the sporadic games in Milwaukee. Two, it was also a test to guage the acceptance of the Sox in Milwaukee, because there were considerations by the Allyns to move the club there.

Southsider101
08-14-2005, 04:26 PM
:tool

ahem.....i was trying to get a team to replace my beloved braves at county stadium......

That sums it up.

This was the first time I can remember hearing the move to Florida ruse. JR wasn't the first owner to use it.

I do remember seeing some games on TV and, as I recall, the games at County Stadium did draw well. However, it seemed that most of those in attendence were from Milwaukee.

TommyJohn
08-14-2005, 05:37 PM
That sums it up.

This was the first time I can remember hearing the move to Florida ruse. JR wasn't the first owner to use it.

I do remember seeing some games on TV and, as I recall, the games at County Stadium did draw well. However, it seemed that most of those in attendence were from Milwaukee.

Actually, Allyn got an offer from Bud Selig after the 1969 season. Bud was
ready to move the Sox and make them the Brewers. Allyn declined because
the votes to move the team out of Chicago weren't there.

Just think, if history had gone differently, it would be the Sox having
their history tied in with the Milwaukee Braves. People would be hearing
about Hank Aaron, Eddie Mathews, Ted Lyons, Luke Appling, Warren
Spahn, Nellie Fox and other Brewer greats.

SOXintheBURGH
08-14-2005, 07:39 PM
Would they have gone to Brewers or kept the White Sox? Or perhaps Beers ala Baseketball?

Brian26
08-14-2005, 11:14 PM
There's a picture of one of the White Sox games, actually the pre-game ceremony for the 5/15/68 game in the Sporting News book "Take Me Out To The Ballpark". It shows the White Sox players lined up down the 1st base line for the National Anthem.

Yep...I have that book. I'll try to scan the photo in later.

Viva Medias B's
08-15-2005, 07:58 AM
I recall him saying it was a similar situation to the Chicago Cardinals.

In their last year in Chicago (1959?), the Big Red played home games at Soldier Field and in Minnesota.

JimH
08-15-2005, 08:40 AM
In their last year in Chicago (1959?), the Big Red played home games at Soldier Field and in Minnesota.

Yes, it was 1959. The Cardinals played two "home" games at Metropolitan Stadium, the current site of the Mall of America. The other 4 actual home games were at Soldier Field, the last one vs. the Bears on 11/29/59. The Cardinals and the Chicago Park District each chipped in to have north end zone bleachers constructed in Soldier Field to cut down on the then mammoth size of the inner bowl.

In 1958, the Cards played another "home" game on the road ... Buffalo I believe. Through the 1950's most of their exhibition games were played in other cities ... Buffalo, Minneapolis, St. Louis ... to test the markets for their eventual move.

My dad saved an article from the Chicago American, early Feb. 1960, where Cardinals managing director Warner Wolfner was quoted as saying "The Chicago Cardinals will remain the Chicago Cardinals". Not for long, the move to St. Louis was announced in mid February 1960 and they were gone. Talk about bad to worse, they ended up playing at Sportsmans Park in St. Louis for several years until Busch Stadium opened in 1966.

BigEdWalsh
08-15-2005, 11:19 AM
I remember watching some of the Milwaukee games on TV. The games drew pretty well, certainly better than the Sox were drawing at home. I remember wishing that the Sox wouldn't draw well up there or if they did they might become the Milwaukee White Sox. Which wouldn't have been the worst place in the world to move to but the whole situation was lousy and made me really heartsick. I felt really betrayed and kinda like the end was near. When I went to Comiskey Park and I went a LOT back then it was awful being one of maybe one or two thousand people in the park. I went to a few games that didn't even draw 1,000. Man, what a dark, dark time.

Fenway
08-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Actually, Allyn got an offer from Bud Selig after the 1969 season. Bud was
ready to move the Sox and make them the Brewers. Allyn declined because
the votes to move the team out of Chicago weren't there.

Just think, if history had gone differently, it would be the Sox having
their history tied in with the Milwaukee Braves. People would be hearing
about Hank Aaron, Eddie Mathews, Ted Lyons, Luke Appling, Warren
Spahn, Nellie Fox and other Brewer greats.

If my memory is correct the other reason the AL wanted Allyn to stay was to prevent Charlie Finley from moving the A's out of Oakland to Chicago.

Finley knew he had made a mistake with Oakland when their second home game in 1968 drew about 5,000.

Then Chicago would have had those great A's teams of the 70's....

Brian26
08-15-2005, 01:08 PM
Then Chicago would have had those great A's teams of the 70's....

Ah, the "what-if's":

And the Chicago A's would never have to make a west coast trip and get swept out of their pants in Oakland :D:

And think of all those great teams we would have had in the late 80's with Canseco and McGwire hitting bombs onto the roof of Old Comiskey :D:

ewokpelts
08-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Ah, the "what-if's":

And the Chicago A's would never have to make a west coast trip and get swept out of their pants in Oakland :D:

And think of all those great teams we would have had in the late 80's with Canseco and McGwire hitting bombs onto the roof of Old Comiskey :D:
the ownership group had changed long before the roid brothers even were drafted...who knows if they woul dhave been drafted by the "chicago athletics"
Gene