08-13-2005, 09:36 PM
They have a good offense in Boston.

Joosh
Get AJ a new pair of gloves.

Forcasting Dark Clouds in the vicinity.

Viva Medias B's
Garland really didn't have it tonight. We just didn't play well overall, as Hawk said.

TomBradley72
08-13-2005, 09:37 PM
Tonight doesn't worry me....Everett was really laboring on the bases....I am worried about Carl and Pods and their overall health...

BeviBall!
08-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Carl just doesn't want to push it... he'll be fine. But, if there's truth to the Junior rumors, KW needs to jump now. Big home stand coming up and we could use the help.

Frankfan4life
08-13-2005, 09:40 PM
If the Sox could have had at least one or two men on base when they hit their home runs, it would be a totally different outcome.

HotelWhiteSox
08-13-2005, 09:41 PM
A Pods trip to the DL (if it is short) may be a blessing in disguise

Hawk can stop now with the comparing of the offensive numbers and HRs, no matter what, their lineup scares me.

I would've like to see Ozzie discipline Pablo by having Timo pinch hit after that WEAK effort in LF on the Ortiz ball. Ozzie had no problem blasting Uribe on not running out a fly ball in a blow out

LongLiveFisk
08-13-2005, 09:41 PM
I'd like to know what our record has been the past 5 years or so at Fenway. Is it Oakland East and we totally suck there or am I imagining things? :?:

Anyway here's hoping we take the finale. Getting swept sucks!!

Jurr
08-13-2005, 09:42 PM
The first two weeks of August have been pretty blahhhhhhh....the Sox aren't clicking at all, but they're still .500 for the month. pretty good stuff.

Mr. White Sox
08-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Tonight doesn't worry me....Everett was really laboring on the bases....I am worried about Carl and Pods and their overall health...

I agree, especially considering the status of our bench.
Anti-nanas tonight go to:
Jon Garland (just not a good night; an aberration this year), the home plate ump, Pablo Ozuna, Jon Adkins (proving my point of why Felix Diaz and Arnie Munoz deserve at least a look).

Congrats to Dye for breaking out of the slump, and congrats to PK and Rowand for doing their jobs offensively and defensively.

HotelWhiteSox
08-13-2005, 09:43 PM
I'd like to know what our record has been the past 5 years or so at Fenway. Is it Oakland East and we totally suck there or am I imagining things? :?:

Anyway here's hoping we take the finale. Getting swept sucks!!

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it seems like we've played them better at Fenway then we have at home (not including this year)

mdep524
08-13-2005, 09:44 PM
Carl and Pods should both go to the DL, IMO. Give 'em a break. Bring up Gload, Anderson or Borchard to get some at bats in their place.

Unregistered
08-13-2005, 09:45 PM
:chunks

Oh well. Somebody said we had the 3rd best record in the AL the last 30 days or something like that - sure doesn't feel like it. August is a crappy month for a team like the Sox - the division is all but wrapped up, and the playoffs can't get here soon enough.

mdep524
08-13-2005, 09:45 PM
I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it seems like we've played them better at Fenway then we have at home (not including this year) IIRC, didn't we take 2 out of 3 in Boston last year? And that was after Maggs and Frank were out and we started sliding a little.

Frankfan4life
08-13-2005, 09:49 PM
TB is up 7 to 1 on the Tribe in the 9th. It would be helpful if they can hold them. The Jndians have quite a kick in the last few innings.

MRKARNO
08-13-2005, 09:50 PM
This is by far the worst that Garland has done against a team that is liable to be in the playoffs, so it's not all that concerning. His ERA against Boston, Oakland and LAA nearly mirrors that of his regular ERA. He just didnt have all of his good pitches at his disposal tonight, and that happens to the best of them (except maybe Clemens this year. He's unreal). It is important though to win the next one because a .500 road trip is still a success, but I think losing 4 of 6 and getting swept against a likely playoff opponent would have to be considered a failure, regardless of the lack of implications it would have for our playoff future. It would not be pretty if the Red Sox managed to sneak up on us and gain home field advantage throughout the playoffs, but a win tomorrow would significantly reduce that possiblity. It's up to you El Duque.

Lip Man 1
08-13-2005, 09:51 PM
Since the start of the 2000 season through tonight the Sox are 9-12 in Boston. Not to bad actually, certainly not even close to what happens in Oakland.

Lip

Corlose 15
08-13-2005, 09:53 PM
Ugly Ugly two games. Too little too late offensively, crappy starting pitching and crappy relief means 0-2 in the series. I would like to see the sox start playing better against potential playoff teams in the AL.

Buehrle pitches like crap, Garland pitches like crap, hopefully El Duque can right the ship tommorrow in a "big game".

To be fair though I thought Garland had Ortiz and Ramirez struck out in the 3rd inning.

LongLiveFisk
08-13-2005, 09:54 PM
Since the start of the 2000 season through tonight the Sox are 9-12 in Boston. Not to bad actually, certainly not even close to what happens in Oakland.

Lip

Ok, thanks....I knew we didn't have a great record there as of late but I think I was primarily venting. :D:

Infallible
08-13-2005, 09:54 PM
This is exactly how I felt on some the calls from behind the plate by the big blue:
:chunks

Just garbage from the 2nd on. Garland didn't have a chance or a choice. He had to throw to everyone.

Mr. White Sox
08-13-2005, 09:56 PM
off-topic I know, but I feel bad for "our boy" Jeff Liefer. 0/4, 2 K, 7 LOB :o:...

Here's a disturbing trend, and someone can flame me if I'm wrong, but...has anyone noticed a sharp downturn in the number of walks the Sox have coaxed lately? The good Sox had only one walk the entire game today, and only one walk through two games in Fenway; one game featuring a knuckleballer.

Infallible
08-13-2005, 09:59 PM
Here's a disturbing trend, and someone can flame me if I'm wrong, but...has anyone noticed a sharp downturn in the number of walks the Sox have coaxed lately? The good Sox had only one walk the entire game today, and only one walk through two games in Fenway; one game featuring a knuckleballer.

Timmy was getting a lot of favorable calls on his pitches, especially his knuckler. If it was anywhere near the plate it was a strike.

SoxSpeed22
08-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Here's a disturbing trend, and someone can flame me if I'm wrong, but...has anyone noticed a sharp downturn in the number of walks the Sox have coaxed lately? The good Sox had only one walk the entire game today, and only one walk through two games in Fenway; one game featuring a knuckleballer.Good concern. We can't seem to get on-base and we're not doing any of those things pitching-wise that we did in Yankee stadium. Bad starting pitching, unable to hold 'em with relief.
http://xdarkzerox.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/blaz.gif"Dark clouds are lame."

Flight #24
08-13-2005, 10:02 PM
Oh well. Somebody said we had the 3rd best record in the AL the last 30 days or something like that - sure doesn't feel like it. August is a crappy month for a team like the Sox - the division is all but wrapped up, and the playoffs can't get here soon enough.

I can tell you this: at the beginning of the 2d half, the Sox were 57-29. They are now 74-40. That means they've gone 17-11 in the 2d half so far, for a winning percentage of .607.

For a "frame of reference" check, there were only 2 teams that bested .607 as a winning percentage in 2004. STL & NYY. So the Sox are still winning at a pretty good pace. Unfortunately, the pace they set was so great that anything less makes it seem like they're losing a ton.

BeviBall!
08-13-2005, 10:10 PM
:indianslose:

Magic Number: 35

Could've been worse. Rather lose twice to Boston on the road than twice to TB at home.

chisoxfanatic
08-13-2005, 10:16 PM
The Red Sox just flat out beat us...Plain and simple. :(

soxjim
08-13-2005, 10:21 PM
I can tell you this: at the beginning of the 2d half, the Sox were 57-29. They are now 74-40. That means they've gone 17-11 in the 2d half so far, for a winning percentage of .607.

For a "frame of reference" check, there were only 2 teams that bested .607 as a winning percentage in 2004. STL & NYY. So the Sox are still winning at a pretty good pace. Unfortunately, the pace they set was so great that anything less makes it seem like they're losing a ton.

I figured this out after the game as well. What is a positive if you want to call it that, the magic number shrunk to 35.

GiveMeSox
08-13-2005, 10:22 PM
That at least according to my friend and fellow WSI'er. He was in Boston for the series as he is working out east for a few months. He called me last night and is staying at the hotel the sox are staying at too. He said last night after the game the attitude of most of the players was a little sad and depressed, he used "let down". Kind of understandable considering we had em 4-0 and lost yesterday. I was just hoping they didn't bring it to the stadium with them today, maybe some of them did. Sox looked flat against wakefiled once again. Ozzies just gotta keep em happy and up beat, just play every game for everyday, nothing more nothing less.

NDSox12
08-13-2005, 10:27 PM
That at least according to my friend and fellow WSI'er. He was in Boston for the series as he is working out east for a few months. He called me last night and is staying at the hotel the sox are staying at too. He said last night after the game the attitude of most of the players was a little sad and depressed, he used "let down". Kind of understandable considering we had em 4-0 and lost yesterday. I was just hoping they didn't bring it to the stadium with them today, maybe some of them did. Sox looked flat against wakefiled once again. Ozzies just gotta keep em happy and up beat, just play every game for everyday, nothing more nothing less.

I think the best way to get the team in good spirits again would be to pick up a big win tomorrow, come home to big crowds and kick the crap out of the Twins. That ought to do it!

PAPChiSox729
08-13-2005, 10:29 PM
Well I am sure Ozzie won't let that attitude last much longer. Winning or not, he is going to want his players in the mindset of winning instead having them dwelling on the past couple of games. They'll be fine.

ChiSoxlukes
08-13-2005, 10:30 PM
This doesn't worry me at all. I'm not glad that we lost but this may cause the Red Sox to become overconfident against the White Sox come playoff time. They didn't see the best out of MB or JG and they will shut Boston down in the playoffs.

Madvora
Sox looked flat against wakefiled once again.
Maybe today yeah, but I wouldn't say "once again." They showed a stat that Wakefield is 4-10 against us with a ERA at about 5.53 or something. When we faced him last on 7/21, we scored 7 earned runs off him in 5.2 innings pitched.

soxjim
What the SOX need is to put a big butt whipping on someone.

Deuce
08-13-2005, 10:32 PM
Forcasting Dark Clouds in the vicinity.

http://www.cswu.cz/prequels/postavy/yoda/images/t-yoda.jpg

"Fear is the path to the dark cloud. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to posting. Posting leads to suffering."

GiveMeSox
08-13-2005, 10:44 PM
Maybe today yeah, but I wouldn't say "once again." They showed a stat that Wakefield is 4-10 against us with a ERA at about 5.53 or something. When we faced him last on 7/21, we scored 7 earned runs off him in 5.2 innings pitched.

I meant more like flat once again, not flat against wakefield.

soltrain21
08-13-2005, 10:45 PM
Red Sox are 22-5 in the last 27 games. Obviously they are still playing with a division on the line. We aren't doing that.

buehrle4cy05
08-13-2005, 11:01 PM
Red Sox are 22-5 in the last 27 games. Obviously they are still playing with a division on the line. We aren't doing that.

Something inside me makes me wish Cleveland was 4 or 5 back, because if you look at it, the last 3 teams to win the WS were Wild Card teams that were involved in tight races. You look at the Braves the last 4 or 5 years and they haven't made it out of the 1st round, and they've had the division locked up in early September.

That being said, the playoffs are a whole different season, and we're a whole different team. Ozzie Guillen is a totally different manager than Tony La Russa. Speaking of the Cards, they pretty much had that division locked up in early-mid September last year, too, and they made it to the World Series.

veeter
08-13-2005, 11:18 PM
I think after scoring the two runs Ozzie should have pulled Adkins. We jumped right back into the game and Adkins gave it right back.

JB98
08-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Ok, thanks....I knew we didn't have a great record there as of late but I think I was primarily venting. :D:

And we did take two of three in Boston last year. If you play .500 at Fenway, that's very good. We were 9-10 there in recent years until two subpar games the last couple of days.

Cleveland can't handle the Devil Rays, so our magic number drops by one despite another bad night in Boston. I hate losing to the Red Sox, but it's not the end of the world.

SoxSpeed22
08-13-2005, 11:29 PM
http://www.cswu.cz/prequels/postavy/yoda/images/t-yoda.jpg

"Fear is the path to the dark cloud. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to posting. Posting leads to suffering."Absolutely. I'm just gonna focus on tommarow.

SOXfnNlansing
08-14-2005, 01:37 AM
Boston is just red hot right now. They can't lose, especially at home. We just caught them at a bad time. Let's try to salvage one (if we don't it's ok) and get back home and start another 8 game winning streak! :bandance:

ChiSoxGirl
08-14-2005, 01:42 AM
Boston is just red hot right now. They can't lose, especially at home. We just caught them at a bad time. Let's try to salvage one (if we don't it's ok) and get back home and start another 8 game winning streak! :bandance:

Ah, the voice of reason. "I luuuv the voice of reason!"

I've been sulking and bummed about this and last night's loss for the past day and it's just depressing knowing what's come of this series- two losses.

But thanks for being the voice of reason. :smile:

chisoxfanatic
08-14-2005, 01:47 AM

They also have the deepest bench in the majors. When Damon and Varitek aren't in the lineup and you STILL score 7 runs, that's displaying a deep bench. Petagine is solid, Graffy is solid, Miribelli is solid, and the list goes on. This is not anything to hold your head low about.

RSN33
08-14-2005, 03:01 AM
Clement vs. El Duque is a great matchup for tomorrow.

Orlando always pitches well vs. Boston and Clement has thrown fairly well since taking that liner off his grill.

I just hope the weather co-operates tomorrow. I love Sunday afternoon ball! :cool:

chisoxfanatic
08-14-2005, 03:03 AM
I just hope the weather co-operates tomorrow. I love Sunday afternoon ball! :cool:

I HATE DAY GAMES!!!

Congrats on the season series win, my dear.

RSN33
08-14-2005, 03:15 AM
I HATE DAY GAMES!!!

Congrats on the season series win, my dear.

Thanks, but as far as I'm concerned, series-shmeries. Success is tallied in the playoffs and the best team has a way of winning the WS each year. Well, except maybe 2002 with the Angels and that stupid Rally Monkey !:angry:

Oh, and day games rock - well, unless of course it's 120 in RF before there's any shade!:tongue:

chisoxfanatic
08-14-2005, 03:18 AM
Oh, and day games rock - well, unless of course it's 120 in RF before there's any shade!:tongue:

Which was made ever-so-easier next to each other. :smile:

MushMouth
08-14-2005, 04:45 AM
Something inside me makes me wish Cleveland was 4 or 5 back, because if you look at it, the last 3 teams to win the WS were Wild Card teams that were involved in tight races. You look at the Braves the last 4 or 5 years and they haven't made it out of the 1st round, and they've had the division locked up in early September.

That being said, the playoffs are a whole different season, and we're a whole different team. Ozzie Guillen is a totally different manager than Tony La Russa. Speaking of the Cards, they pretty much had that division locked up in early-mid September last year, too, and they made it to the World Series.

You're right and I agree. Part of me thinks that. But the other part says, lets play out the season resting whom we need and playing whomever comes along in the playoffs.

I still think they play the right type of baseball for the playoffs. The Red Sox offense is ridiculous tho. Insane.

Still, its just regular season.

Dan H
08-14-2005, 08:32 AM
We can now see how important it is to have Pods in that leadoff position. Meanwhile, I hope Guillen sees the light and gets Osuna down to the bottom of the lineup. How about Rowand batting first? Anybody but Osuna.

SOXSINCE'70
08-14-2005, 08:57 AM
Hawk said it best:the Palehose have not played well these past 2 games,
and the Carmines*are the best hitting team in the A.L.,if not
in baseball,period.When Manny or Ortiz can decide games,and
you've got hitters like Mueller,Damon,Varitek,Renteria and Tony G
around them,it's going to be hard to stop a team this hot at home,
even if their starting pitching and bullpen SUCK.:angry:
And the Carmines are SMOKIN' at home.
If there were ever a game for Orlando Hernandez to win,
Sunday's tilt against fromer sCrUB Matt Clement is it.

*-Carmine is a shade of red,for those who did not know.

johnny_mostil
08-14-2005, 10:52 AM
Timmy was getting a lot of favorable calls on his pitches, especially his knuckler. If it was anywhere near the plate it was a strike.

I am surprised nobody else noticed that, since it was critical. Wakefield only had 24 called balls all night -- and he wasn't really that good. Garland aces Manny twice on the outer half in the 3rd inning with two strikes and the ump let Manny get a base hit on "strike five". Garland wasn't sharp, but Ted Barrett wasn't giving him anything at all, either. Now, I'm as big a stathead as anybody, but on 0-2 and 1-2, I want the umps calling people out consistently (other than Frank Thomas) when they take close strikes no matter how big their contract is. It's called "baseball", not "batting practice".

The best thing to remember is, if the strike zones really weren't the same, Boston's a QuesTec park and Ted Barrett got a report and a CD hilighting his mistakes.

soltrain21
08-14-2005, 11:20 AM
I was super pissed after Manny WALKED to first base after getting that single. This was even after he stayed in the box for like 2 seconds. I hate that man so much.

Rooney and Farmer were really pissed when his worthless butt went and sat down while Schilling warmed up.

I don't care if he is a good hitter, he is my least favorite player in the league.

Paulwny
08-14-2005, 11:23 AM
off-topic I know, but I feel bad for "our boy" Jeff Liefer. 0/4, 2 K, 7 LOB :o:...

Good call,
On the post game show , Bill Melton felt the sox weren't going deep into the count especially with Wakefield on the mound.

johnny_mostil
08-14-2005, 03:04 PM

You are right, but against Wakefield there just weren't going to be a lot of walks with Barrett calling almost 75% of the pitches strikes.

You can't "coax" a walk unless the pitcher throws the ball outside of the zone (unless you're Manny Ramirez or Jason Giambi and the umps simply won't call you out when you do take strikes, he cynically adds).

That said, they have been swinging at a lot of balls lately.