PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Ken Griffey Super-Mega Rumor thread! (blah blah blah)

Pages : [1] 2 3

downstairs
08-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah.... we've heard all the rumors before....

But Bruuuuuuuuuce interviewed him (just played a clip) and Griffey wouldn't mind coming to Chicago.

They discussed it being possible that someone would block the trade, but that's $40 Mil to suck up, which is a lot for even the Yanks and/or Red Cubs.

I don't know... I think we gotta try, suck it up, pay him, and just make it happen this year.

Whitesox029
08-10-2005, 06:18 PM

But Bruuuuuuuuuce interviewed him (just played a clip) and Griffey wouldn't mind coming to Chicago.

They discussed it being possible that someone would block the trade, but that's $40 Mil to suck up, which is a lot for even the Yanks and/or Red Cubs.

I don't know... I think we gotta try, suck it up, pay him, and just make it happen this year.
I don't think Griffey realizes that a permanent move to Chicago would NOT mean he would get to face Cubs pitching every night.

Evman5
08-10-2005, 06:18 PM

Get him and implement the same rotation we had with Frank here. Griffey has been my favorite player for a long time and I think he is exactly what we need.

John Barrett
08-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Stick with Row ... he is getting us to the dance

fquaye149
08-10-2005, 06:26 PM
i'd be happy with this trade if we could use griffey as a dh

but since he's a gold glove CF that'd be kind of a waste of his talents. After all part of that 40 mill is on account of his glove.

OTOH no way do we slap Rowand in the face like that. Yes we need a bat, but not at the expense of Rowand who has been more than adequate in every part of his game.

ONLY AT DH is my opinion here.

downstairs
08-10-2005, 06:28 PM

Griffey would not be in CF. He would be our DH. Everett would be a platoon outfielder/DH at times.

DickAllen72
08-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Griffey would be used primarily at DH but he could also spell Rowand, Dye or Podsednik in the outfield once in a while.

With Pods, Rowand, Dye, Everett & Griffey, the Sox would have a great OF/DH rotation, and a strong bench to boot.

DickAllen72
08-10-2005, 06:35 PM
BTW, on "Tribune Live" tonight, Levine said Ken Griffey Jr. is currently on waivers.

Don't know exactly when he was first waived, but that means if anything is going to happen we should know in the next few days.

Stay tuned! :gulp:

BigEdWalsh
08-10-2005, 06:38 PM

I'd love to see this happen. We could use a little more punch in the lineup. Getting Griffey for his BAT would be similiar to getting Big Klu in '59. Hey, he was obtained from the Reds too, wasn't he? Rowand wouldn't have a thing to worry about. Sure, Griffey might play a game or two in cf but he would pretty much be strictly a DH.

OzzieBall2005
08-10-2005, 06:46 PM
After this past series, Rowand made a drastic case for a gold glove. He is not going anywhere. And for that, I shall dub him the human web jem.

socko82
08-10-2005, 06:56 PM
On Silvie & Carmen today they were talking about Griffey and saying that even if Griffey got through waivers they didn't think the minor leaguers going back to Cincy would make it to them. Since the Reds don't need the players this year would it be against the rules for the teams to agree to the players but just make the deal as Griffey for 2 or 3 players to be named later and send them after the season is over? Does anyone know if this is legal?

OzzieBall2005
08-10-2005, 07:01 PM
On Silvie & Carmen today they were talking about Griffey and saying that even if Griffey got through waivers they didn't think the minor leaguers going back to Cincy would make it to them. Since the Reds don't need the players this year would it be against the rules for the teams to agree to the players but just make the deal as Griffey for 2 or 3 players to be named later and send them after the season is over?

http://images.usatoday.com/money/_photos/2004/12/27/inside1-guinness.jpg
BRILLIANT!!!

Vernam
08-10-2005, 07:01 PM
I've got no problem w/ picking up Griffey now that Frank's down for the season, so long as Rowand still starts in CF. After the string of spectacular, clutch catches Aaron started Sunday against Seattle, I don't really want to hear from the people who think Griffey could or should replace him out there. Before the trade deadline some folks thought Rowand was pretty expendable, as I recall. :cool:

With the Sox having pushed NY to 4 back in the wild card and 5 back in the AL Least, maybe Jr. could slip through to us on waivers after all. Unless, after Uribe's triple, Steinbrenner is now convinced Bernie Williams is through and wants to upgrade.

VC

Domeshot17
08-10-2005, 07:03 PM
For all of those Anti Griffey, incase you did not notice, We scored 2 runs combined against SHAWN CHACON AND AARON SMALL. This would do a lot of things for us. Give us a Legitmate heart of the order. Get Timo Perez out of the 3 or 4 times a week role, and move Carl Everett to that role. I think Griff is such a key peice if we got him. You do not move Aaron to the bench just because you got Griff. Griff DH'ing also extends his career life.

I think the Yanks may be weary, they have about 200 million of dead contract. So adding 40 more mil owed to Griffey, who is older, may Scare Cashman.

I personally believe you may see Korey dealt to the yanks. He is younger, teams still believe he has an upside. He may wind up with the Yankees.

PatK
08-10-2005, 07:03 PM
I'd take him.

A big bat off the bench, he could DH, or spell Pods/Rowand if we needed him. I'd rather have him patrolling the field than Carl right now.

Just hope he's off that pesky nerve tonic.

veeter
08-10-2005, 07:07 PM
I just wonder who we give up. I assume prospects, B Mac, Anderson, etc.

OzzieBall2005
08-10-2005, 07:08 PM
If, and thats a pretty big if, Griffey gets here, what do u think the line up would look like?
My guess:
Pods
Gooch
Jr.
PK
AJP
Dye
Crede
Uribe

Chisox003
08-10-2005, 07:09 PM
As long as A-Row isnt going anywhere, and its just "prospects," it's a must....

But apparently the Reds havent realized they arent going anywhere this year, or next year for that matter, and they dont want to take some of the best young talent out there for a guy who wont be able to help them in the direction theyre headed anyway...

Sounds much like the Devil Rays....Obviously, losing isnt just the players you put out on the field....Its the stupidity of the people running the team, too

Thank you Kenny :gulp:

CHIsoxNation
08-10-2005, 07:10 PM
I'm all in!! I would love to see Griffey on the southside. He has been one of my favorite ball players since he broke into the league as a teen. I think his big left handed bat would be a huge lift for this offense. His numbers are pretty good this year and to slide him in the 3 hole in front of Paulie would be outstanding. Not to mention all of the publicity the team will get just by having someone of Griffey's caliber on the club. I'm all for flying under the radar, but you have to think that this would boost attendance even more than it has been lately.

BTW, I also heard on ESPN1000 that Griffey is in fact on waivers right now. I'm not sure when he was put on them. I am going to be pretty anxious the next few days.

CHIsoxNation
08-10-2005, 07:13 PM
I just wonder who we give up. I assume prospects, B Mac, Anderson, etc.

I'm pretty sure KW already made it clear that the both of them were untouchable. Rigowski and Young I believe were rumored to be part of the deal before the deadline. I would hate to see someone like Young leave but you have to figure these guys weren't going to be in the Sox's plans for a few years yet. Griffey will make an imidiate impact.

downstairs
On Silvie & Carmen today they were talking about Griffey and saying that even if Griffey got through waivers they didn't think the minor leaguers going back to Cincy would make it to them. Since the Reds don't need the players this year would it be against the rules for the teams to agree to the players but just make the deal as Griffey for 2 or 3 players to be named later and send them after the season is over? Does anyone know if this is legal?

I've never heard anything like that. You can trade for whatever you want. You can, indeed, trade for the proverbial "bag of balls" if you wish. Or $5.20 plus a Diet Coke. A deal is a deal.

Whitesoxtom
I think we need to get Griffey at any cost. I mean, this would be such a huge spark to this team. Can you imagine what adding a left handed bat like that would do? Do we trade the farm for Ken Griffey? Absolutely!!! The time is now.

Do you guys think Brian Anderson and Chris Young would add much of a spark when the Spetember 1st callups happen? Anderson looks ready, though his K numbers are a bit high. So if we don't get a Griffey, could a rookie do it? Miguel Cabrera added a huge punch for Florida, can Anderson or Young do that for us?

Letmehearya
08-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Jr. would be huge. Why play him in CF at all? The key to getting value out of him is keeping him healthy. Ergo, keep him out of CF. DH and possible RF duties for Jr. If he helps us get over the top and win the WS he'd become a Chicago sports legend. Let us pray.

downstairs
08-10-2005, 07:17 PM

You know what... I just re-read your message and now I understand. You're saying it may be illegal to pretend that players are "to be named later" but both teams know exactly what players they are.

You (and Silvy/Carmen) may be right on that... but I hardly doubt that is an issue. If the Reds want prospect players of ours, they DO want them for this year, so they can see them play in the majors and analyze them before next year.

downstairs
08-10-2005, 07:18 PM
I think we need to get Griffey at any cost. I mean, this would be such a huge spark to this team. Can you imagine what adding a left handed bat like that would do? Do we trade the farm for Ken Griffey? Absolutely!!! The time is now.

Do you guys think Brian Anderson and Chris Young would add much of a spark when the Spetember 1st callups happen? Anderson looks ready, though his K numbers are a bit high. So if we don't get a Griffey, could a rookie do it? Miguel Cabrera added a huge punch for Florida, can Anderson or Young do that for us?

Anderson and Young combined, plus a few of their friends, are not equal to a Ken Griffey Jr.

Whitesoxtom
08-10-2005, 07:19 PM
Anderson and Young combined, plus a few of their friends, are not equal to a Ken Griffey Jr.

I never said they were, but if we don;t make any moves, do you think they can contribute now?

TornLabrum
08-10-2005, 07:21 PM
I'd love to see this happen. We could use a little more punch in the lineup. Getting Griffey for his BAT would be similiar to getting Big Klu in '59. Hey, he was obtained from the Reds too, wasn't he? Rowand wouldn't have a thing to worry about. Sure, Griffey might play a game or two in cf but he would pretty much be strictly a DH.

Everybody remembers Big Klu in '59. The problem with him was that he was an absolute bust in '60 because of his bad back.

downstairs
08-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Everybody remembers Big Klu in '59. The problem with him was that he was an absolute bust in '60 because of his bad back.

That's fine with me. Take us to game 6 of the World Series, and I'll consider it all good.

(Of course, assuming, WE win this one 4 games to 2)

GoGoOzzie
08-10-2005, 07:30 PM

I was also under the impression that we would be paying a laaaaarrrge part of Griffey's salary as well as sending prospects if a deal was to be made. But what do I know? :D:

skobabe8
08-10-2005, 07:33 PM
If, and thats a pretty big if, Griffey gets here, what do u think the line up would look like?
My guess:
Pods
Gooch
Jr.
PK
AJP
Dye
Crede
Uribe

An 8 man lineup? Now thats thinking outside the box!

TomBradley72
08-10-2005, 07:34 PM

If the players aren't on the major league roster...do they need to clear waivers?

TornLabrum
08-10-2005, 07:36 PM
That's fine with me. Take us to game 6 of the World Series, and I'll consider it all good.

(Of course, assuming, WE win this one 4 games to 2)

One big difference is that Big Klu made a whole lot less in '60 than Jr. will make in '06.

P.S. I want more than one World Series out of this, so any deal KW makes had better have the long-term future of this club in mind.

Optipessimism
08-10-2005, 07:38 PM
I say we pick up Griffey and move Pods to DH. Griffey can play LF to put less damage on his knees and we upgrade in 2 areas. Carl becomes a DH/LF/RF and Dye can play 1B to spell Konerko instead of Crede #2, which would open RF for Everett. This way, even when we have to give a starter or two the day off, we still put out a dangerous lineup. Our starting line could be something like this:

Pods DH
Iguchi 2B
Griffey LF
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Pierzynski C
Rowand CF
Crede 3B
Uribe SS

I really like our postseason chances with this lineup, especially since KW would probably only have to give up a guy like Munoz or Diaz to get him since Cincy apparently doesn't want to eat any of that contract.

Tragg
08-10-2005, 07:45 PM
I'm all for it.
Just don't trade McCarthy

Ol' No. 2
08-10-2005, 07:52 PM

I don't know... I think we gotta try, suck it up, pay him, and just make it happen this year.Hey Bruce. Who was that guy running around last week talking as if he was Griffey's old drinking buddy and saying Griffey would NEVER come to the White Sox? Oh, yeah. Now I remember. It was YOU.

http://www.magicmakers.com/retail/clown%20stuff/shoesblueyellow.jpg

Flight #24
08-10-2005, 08:05 PM
For the record, the published prior trade nixed by Reds owner Lindner was Chris Young, Casey Rogowski, and a lesser prospect for Griff with the Reds eating $4.5 of his $12mil annual salary for 06-08.

I'm about 99% sure that since none of the Sox prospects are on the 40-man roster that they don't need to clear waivers. I.e., if Griffey clears, that deal can be done. I'm also guessing that if anything changes in the deal it'll be the amount of $$$ the Sox get in the trade.

Also, let's not forget that a perfectly viable option to put out a truly stellar defensive OF is to DH Pods and put one of Griff/ARow in LF. It's certainly not an "Arow or Griffey" debate, it's a "Griffey or Everett" and/or an "Everett or Timo" debate.

I'm hopeful this can get done. Although I'd have to think the Yanks would kill to get Griff on waivers and wouldn't balk at the possible cost. The BoSox could also look at him as a replacement for Damon in CF or for the Millar/Olerud duo (moving Ortiz from DH to 1B). Even the Angels could look at him as a DH. Plus any of them could claim him just to block the trade figuring the Reds would be unlikely to let him go for nothing.

What sucks is that if not for Lindner's stupidity, this deal would have been done already with no chance of it being blocked, and apparently Griffey after thinking on it, would have approved.:angry:

psyclonis
08-10-2005, 08:14 PM
Jr costs too much to be a DH... If JR sucks up the costs I'll have no problem with it. If next yr we still have a $70mil payroll with Jr... I'll be pissed. Plus wouldn't all the good players/prospects we would trade for Jr need to clear waivers? Unless we could move all our prospects off the 40man for a day, but I doubt we'll be able to do that.

Ol' No. 2
08-10-2005, 08:20 PM
For the record, the published prior trade nixed by Reds owner Lindner was Chris Young, Casey Rogowski, and a lesser prospect for Griff with the Reds eating $4.5 of his $12mil annual salary for 06-08.

I'm about 99% sure that since none of the Sox prospects are on the 40-man roster that they don't need to clear waivers. I.e., if Griffey clears, that deal can be done. I'm also guessing that if anything changes in the deal it'll be the amount of $$$ the Sox get in the trade.

Also, let's not forget that a perfectly viable option to put out a truly stellar defensive OF is to DH Pods and put one of Griff/ARow in LF. It's certainly not an "Arow or Griffey" debate, it's a "Griffey or Everett" and/or an "Everett or Timo" debate.

I'm hopeful this can get done. Although I'd have to think the Yanks would kill to get Griff on waivers and wouldn't balk at the possible cost. The BoSox could also look at him as a replacement for Damon in CF or for the Millar/Olerud duo (moving Ortiz from DH to 1B). Even the Angels could look at him as a DH. Plus any of them could claim him just to block the trade figuring the Reds would be unlikely to let him go for nothing.

What sucks is that if not for Lindner's stupidity, this deal would have been done already with no chance of it being blocked, and apparently Griffey after thinking on it, would have approved.:angry:Rogo is on the 40-man roster, but I'd think that the Reds would want to do the deal badly enough that the Sox could substitute another player they'd accept. And yes, the Yankees would grab him in a...well...a New York minute.

Brian26
08-10-2005, 08:21 PM
Just my two cents:

There's no way on Earth that Griffey Jr. clears waivers past the Yankees. No way, no chance, no how. You're telling me Steinbrenner wouldn't pull out his wallet for Jr. to play CF for the rest of the season and move Womack back to secondbase? We've still got the best record in baseball, which means he has to clear every other team. Unless Cashman is sleeping right now, I don't see how in the heck he clears past NY.

Optipessimism
08-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Just my two cents:

There's no way on Earth that Griffey Jr. clears waivers past the Yankees. No way, no chance, no how. You're telling me Steinbrenner wouldn't pull out his wallet for Jr. to play CF for the rest of the season and move Womack back to secondbase? We've still got the best record in baseball, which means he has to clear every other team. Unless Cashman is sleeping right now, I don't see how in the heck he clears past NY.

I agree totally. While I'm sure Cashman, the brains of the organization, would want to do something different, I'm willing to bet NY claims him in a heartbeat.

The Dude
08-10-2005, 08:44 PM
Just my two cents:

Way to tell it like it is! Unfortunately, you are right. The blunder in CF by Bernie is having the NYY fans calling for his head and a quick replacement. He will be picked up by the Yanks, but maybe Cashman will pull a Costanza and sleep under his desk when the time arrives.:D:

BeviBall!
08-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Just my two cents:

The Yankees have no one to trade. If they do it, it will be to solely block us and Junior will remain in Cincy.

Flight #24
08-10-2005, 08:54 PM
:supernana: The Yankees have no one to trade. If they do it, it will be to solely block us and Junior will remain in Cincy.

Exactly. They'll think of it this way:

Option A - Cinci pulls back Griffey (most likely): Sox are unimproved, making the Yanks road to the postseason a bit easier and their road in the postseason much easier. This to them is :bandance:

Option B - Cinci lets Griffey go (unlikely): Yanks are dramatically improved, both now and for the next year or so. This to them is :supernana:

Both options to us are :whiner: . Lindner's stupidity is :angry:

gosox3072
08-10-2005, 08:55 PM
Could Jr play LF next year, while JD plays 1st if we do not sign Paul Konerko?(Hypothetical......I personally would love to resign paulie)

Chisox003
08-10-2005, 08:56 PM
Could Jr play LF next year, while JD plays 1st if we do not sign Paul Konerko?(Hypothetical......I personally would love to resign paulie)

You want to eliminate one of the strongest arms in baseball and put a guy who, up until this season, is an automatic injury as his replacement in the OF?

What then? Rowand to RF? Scotty to CF?

Please.....No.......:o:

Optipessimism
08-10-2005, 09:00 PM
The Yankees have no one to trade. If they do it, it will be to solely block us and Junior will remain in Cincy.

They have Womack or some lower level prospects. He's not replacing Cano, that guy isn't ever going back to the minors unless it's for a rehab assignment. Besides, I doubt Cincy is going to want anything besides another team to pick up Griffey's contract.

tweek57
08-10-2005, 09:11 PM
Minor league players who are not on the 40 man roster (Young, other spect) do not need to clear through waivers in order to complete the trade, they simply go to the Reds with no interference. A player like Rogowski however, who is on the 40 man roster would have to pass through waivers before going to Cincy.

DVsoxfan
08-10-2005, 09:14 PM
Yea, can we PLEASE stop all the "I think Dye should play first base" posts??

SOXfnNlansing
08-10-2005, 09:18 PM
I'm all in!! I would love to see Griffey on the southside. . I'm all for flying under the radar, but you have to think that this would boost attendance even more than it has been lately.

. :(: no using the "A" word

SOXfnNlansing
08-10-2005, 09:25 PM
I say we pick up Griffey and move Pods to DH.
. I think I kind of like that idea. Give Pod's dogs a rest and get 4-5 plate appearances..... then Pods can switch with KG 2 games a week. I'm all for it.

CHIsoxNation
08-10-2005, 09:25 PM
:(: no using the "A" word

My bad, I figured since it's been so good lately it was no longer a sour subject.

SOXfnNlansing
08-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Just my two cents:

There's no way on Earth that Griffey Jr. clears waivers past the Yankees. No way, no chance, no how. You're telling me Steinbrenner wouldn't pull out his wallet for Jr. to play CF for the rest of the season and move Womack back to secondbase? We've still got the best record in baseball, which means he has to clear every other team. Unless Cashman is sleeping right now, I don't see how in the heck he clears past NY. they don't want Womack at 2nd base. The Yankees HATE Womack!

CYGarland20
08-10-2005, 10:19 PM
My guess:
Pods
Gooch
Jr.
PK
AJP
Dye
Crede
Uribe IF we do get Griffey, i think the lineup would look like this....Pods, Iguchi, Griffey, Pk, AJ, Dye, Rowand, Crede, Uribe.........We DESPERATELY need a bat like Griffey's, if he does clear through waivers then KW has got to find a way to get him.

TheOldRoman
08-11-2005, 12:38 AM
Just my two cents:

You are wrong.
Do the Yankees need a CF? Desperately.
Did they need one before the trade deadline? Yes.
Did they need one in the offseason? Yes.
The Yankees are MAXED OUT. As eerie as it sounds to say it, they cannot raise the payroll anymore. While nobody could have anticipated how horrible Williams would be this year, the Yankees KNEW that they needed a CF in the offseason. Carlos Beltran was available, and was looking like the next Willie Mays. This season has been rough for Beltran, but when he is done he might be considered one of the greatest of all time. The Yankees know how great he is, and how old Williams is, and they didn't sign Beltran. Why? Because they don't have anymore money.
At the trade deadline, Boston Gammons had the Yankees getting pretty much every CF short of Toriiiiiiii Hunter. They got nobody.

Griffey will clear waivers, I guarantee it. If the Yankees wanted him, they would do what the Sox plan on doing - dont claim him, wait for him to clear and then make a deal with the Reds. The Reds would have to pick up a substantial part of Junior's salary no matter where he is traded. No team will claim Griffey because the Reds would say "ok, take him". That team would be stuck with Griffey's entire contract. While Griffey could help the Yankees this year (if they would be able to pick up his salary) they would NOT want him 3 years from now. Three years from now, there will be better options available for them. There is no way on earth the Yankees would claim Griffey. If they do, I will buy you 5 beers, Brian.

Erik The Red
08-11-2005, 12:43 AM
I'd take him.

A big bat off the bench, he could DH, or spell Pods/Rowand if we needed him. I'd rather have him patrolling the field than Carl right now.

Just hope he's off that pesky nerve tonic.
:rolling:

Post. Of. The. YEAR!!!

Chips
08-11-2005, 12:43 AM
Could somebody help me figure out how a wavier deal works? This is what I gathered so far:

Is it that once a player is put on waivers he has 3 days before someone claims him. And then teams can put a claim on him and if more than one team claims him, the ****tier team in that league gets him. But if noone claims him he can be traded, but the team that does the trading, does their player also have to clear waivers. And what if it is minor leaguer?

The whole baseball roster situation confuses me every know and then, I understand it eventually, maybe.

gobears1987
08-11-2005, 12:49 AM
Griffey for DH

gosox3072
08-11-2005, 12:53 AM
You want to eliminate one of the strongest arms in baseball and put a guy who, up until this season, is an automatic injury as his replacement in the OF?

What then? Rowand to RF? Scotty to CF?

Please.....No.......:o:

Im very sorry, i made a mistake..... i meant to ask if JR could play RF next year if JD played 1st base. Big difference huh? There is no way we move either rowand or pods!

the_valenstache
08-11-2005, 01:32 AM
:hawk

"Where would we play him? Where...would...we...play...him?"

Domeshot17
08-11-2005, 03:05 AM
Is it that once a player is put on waivers he has 3 days before someone claims him. And then teams can put a claim on him and if more than one team claims him, the ****tier team in that league gets him. But if noone claims him he can be traded, but the team that does the trading, does their player also have to clear waivers. And what if it is minor leaguer

Okay I will TRY and help here, although this could be a little off.

I.E. Reds put Griffey on Waivers. He stays on for 41 hours. The team that wins his claim, which is the team with the lowest record, has the right to negotiate with the Reds. If the Sox and Yanks Claim, the Yanks win the claim. Reds have a choice to then trade him or pull him back. However, if they put him BACK on waivers, he can not be pulled off a 2nd time. Now say the Sox win the claim. Any player on the non 40 man roster can be dealt, Chris Young, Arnie Munoz. However, if Ross Gload or Casey Rogowski were part of this deal, they would then have to completely Clear waivers. The Level of play really does not hold much bearing, just the 40 man roster.

Sorry if I confused you, the 41 hours may be off, just seems to be a number i thought I had heard.

Soxzilla
08-11-2005, 07:31 AM
You were close. It's 47 hours.

Hitmen77
08-11-2005, 08:13 AM
If the Reds wouldn't trade Griffey before July 30, why would they trade him now? What has changed in the last 10 days?

Ol' No. 2
08-11-2005, 08:57 AM
You are wrong.
Do the Yankees need a CF? Desperately.
Did they need one before the trade deadline? Yes.
Did they need one in the offseason? Yes.
The Yankees are MAXED OUT. As eerie as it sounds to say it, they cannot raise the payroll anymore. While nobody could have anticipated how horrible Williams would be this year, the Yankees KNEW that they needed a CF in the offseason. Carlos Beltran was available, and was looking like the next Willie Mays. This season has been rough for Beltran, but when he is done he might be considered one of the greatest of all time. The Yankees know how great he is, and how old Williams is, and they didn't sign Beltran. Why? Because they don't have anymore money.
At the trade deadline, Boston Gammons had the Yankees getting pretty much every CF short of Toriiiiiiii Hunter. They got nobody.

Griffey will clear waivers, I guarantee it. If the Yankees wanted him, they would do what the Sox plan on doing - dont claim him, wait for him to clear and then make a deal with the Reds. The Reds would have to pick up a substantial part of Junior's salary no matter where he is traded. No team will claim Griffey because the Reds would say "ok, take him". That team would be stuck with Griffey's entire contract. While Griffey could help the Yankees this year (if they would be able to pick up his salary) they would NOT want him 3 years from now. Three years from now, there will be better options available for them. There is no way on earth the Yankees would claim Griffey. If they do, I will buy you 5 beers, Brian.Can I get in on that bet, too? The Yankees couldn't afford Beltran last winter, but the current situation is completely different. The Yankees would only be paying Griffey for less than 2 months for the rest of this year. I don't think that, given the problems they've had, they'd bat an eye at that. This year they're paying Bernie Williams $12M, but he's off the books for next year, so the money to pay Griffey is already there with no increase in payroll. I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that the Yankees would pass on Griffey.

GAsoxfan
08-11-2005, 09:04 AM
If the Reds wouldn't trade Griffey before July 30, why would they trade him now? What has changed in the last 10 days?

The Reds' fans reaction has shown the owner it wouldn't be as big of a PR blunder to trade Griffey as he thought.

downstairs
08-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Can I get in on that bet, too? The Yankees couldn't afford Beltran last winter, but the current situation is completely different. The Yankees would only be paying Griffey for less than 2 months for the rest of this year. I don't think that, given the problems they've had, they'd bat an eye at that. This year they're paying Bernie Williams $12M, but he's off the books for next year, so the money to pay Griffey is already there with no increase in payroll. I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that the Yankees would pass on Griffey.

Yeah... but they need starting pitching more than they need a CF. Of course they have a *massive* payroll, but its not *unlimited*.

Some of that money HAS to be earmarked for pitching.

Ol' No. 2
08-11-2005, 09:12 AM
Yeah... but they need starting pitching more than they need a CF. Of course they have a *massive* payroll, but its not *unlimited*.

Some of that money HAS to be earmarked for pitching.Kevin Brown is off the books next year, too. His money will buy a lot of pitching. Plus, half of Griffey's money is deferred, so he actually comes cheaper than Williams.

GAsoxfan
08-11-2005, 09:14 AM
As much as DHing Griffey would decrease his injury risk, I'd like to see him in the outfield if the Sox end up getting him. That's a big defensive weapon to leave on the bench for a team built on defense. However, due to the injury risk and the way Rowand has been playing, I wouldn't want him in CF. Personally, I'd stick him in LF. Pods is weaker defensively than Rowand and Dye, and the extra rest may rejuvinate Scott's legs and allow him to actually steal a base.

An outfield of Griffey/Rowand/Dye would be the best defensive outfield in the majors IMO.

sircaffey1
08-11-2005, 09:42 AM
The Yanks will not claim Griffey. No way.

1. They are in dire need of pitching, and will exaust all remaining resources on pitchers put on the waiver wire. (Odalis Perez?)

2. They do not need more offense.

3. What do you think they Yanks would rather do? Claim Griffey and end up paying him 14 million per year or go hard after Damon in the offseason? The Yanks missed out on Beltran, they declined Bernie's option, and Damon is a FA this offseason. I am sure the Yanks have a plan, and I have a sneaky suspision that Damon is part of it.

Flight #24
08-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Kevin Brown is off the books next year, too. His money will buy a lot of pitching. Plus, half of Griffey's money is deferred, so he actually comes cheaper than Williams.

Couple of points: There are some pay bumps the Yanks will have to deal with including minor ones for a couple of players and a decent one for Giambi. But more importantly, they'll have $23.5M freed up from Bernie & Brown. But they'll also have to fill at least one rotation spot to replace Brown, and possibly more than that depending on the health of Jaret Wright and Carl Pavano. They also have some FAs in the 'pen including Gordon, not to mention that they don't exactly have alot of depth behind him right now.

It can be very expensive to build the bottom half of a rotation and almost a complete 'pen from scratch.

If indeed they are working with some sort of budget, then I could see them passing to focus their resources on pitching. Lets' say they go after AJ Burnett and Kevin Millwood: that eats up about $20M right there, before addressing the 'pen.

Unlikely, but possible. It all depends on how much Big Stein's willing to spend. There were some indications that there was a cap of some sort on him last year or he would have signed Beltran, taken the 1-year hit on Bernie's deal, and then had him in hand for when Brown & Bernie's $$$ comes off the books.

Ol' No. 2
08-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Couple of points: There are some pay bumps the Yanks will have to deal with including minor ones for a couple of players and a decent one for Giambi. But more importantly, they'll have $23.5M freed up from Bernie & Brown. But they'll also have to fill at least one rotation spot to replace Brown, and possibly more than that depending on the health of Jaret Wright and Carl Pavano. They also have some FAs in the 'pen including Gordon, not to mention that they don't exactly have alot of depth behind him right now.

It can be very expensive to build the bottom half of a rotation and almost a complete 'pen from scratch.

If indeed they are working with some sort of budget, then I could see them passing to focus their resources on pitching. Lets' say they go after AJ Burnett and Kevin Millwood: that eats up about $20M right there, before addressing the 'pen.

Unlikely, but possible. It all depends on how much Big Stein's willing to spend. There were some indications that there was a cap of some sort on him last year or he would have signed Beltran, taken the 1-year hit on Bernie's deal, and then had him in hand for when Brown & Bernie's $$$ comes off the books.I understand all your points. Also, I believe Mussina is a FA, but he'll probably be re-signed for similar money, so there's no net change there. Maybe the Yanks are planning to go after Damon. But given a choice between Griffey in the hand or Damon in the bush, I think they'd opt for Griffey. He's a better fit for them anyway, and when you factor in the deferred money, he'll probably cost less than Damon, and with a smaller committment. I guess we'll see in a few days.

Also, Houston needs another OF, but it's doubtful the Reds would trade within the division, and by not claiming him, they don't have to face him next year. Would Boston claim him and let Damon go? Maybe. Anaheim is full up in the OF, so they're not likely. Oakland? HA! The Braves could use OF help, so they might put in a claim. That's about all the other possibilities I see.

Flight #24
08-11-2005, 11:04 AM
Also, Houston needs another OF, but it's doubtful the Reds would trade within the division, and by not claiming him, they don't have to face him next year. Would Boston claim him and let Damon go? Maybe. Anaheim is full up in the OF, so they're not likely. Oakland? HA! The Braves could use OF help, so they might put in a claim. That's about all the other possibilities I see.

Agreed on the Yanks. Unless they have some serious shopping plans for the offseason, I'd guess they'll put in a claim. The one caveat they might have is that this is the first year in 4-5 that Griffey's gone over 350ABs. I could see them thinking it's better to put more $$ into someone more reliable than risking a Griffey injury and trotting out Womack in CF again.

As for the other teams, IMO no way the Astros want the cost+injury risk. Same with the Braves (esp given their young OFs). AL teams make more sense since they can DH him at times. But Boston doesn't have a need and is wary of contracts like this. Anaheim's a possibility because they're DHing Kotchman/Davanon/Rivera, and because Finley sucks.

Still, I'd bet if the Yanks don't claim him he'll be available.

Ol' No. 2
08-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Agreed on the Yanks. Unless they have some serious shopping plans for the offseason, I'd guess they'll put in a claim. The one caveat they might have is that this is the first year in 4-5 that Griffey's gone over 350ABs. I could see them thinking it's better to put more $$ into someone more reliable than risking a Griffey injury and trotting out Womack in CF again.

As for the other teams, IMO no way the Astros want the cost+injury risk. Same with the Braves (esp given their young OFs). AL teams make more sense since they can DH him at times. But Boston doesn't have a need and is wary of contracts like this. Anaheim's a possibility because they're DHing Kotchman/Davanon/Rivera, and because Finley sucks.

Still, I'd bet if the Yanks don't claim him he'll be available.Anaheim is hard to figure. Figgins has played all over the place, but I think they'd like to settle him in the OF and have McPherson at 3B. That means their OF is full. DaVanon has had a down year, but I think they like him long-term as a DH and part-time OF. So do they really have room/need for Griffey?

GAsoxfan
08-11-2005, 11:21 AM
I can guarantee that Atlanta won't put in a claim. Schuerholz has said many times that the Braves don't have any money to spend.

Tekijawa
08-11-2005, 11:23 AM
I can guarantee that Atlanta won't put in a claim. Schuerholz has said many times that the Braves don't have any money to spend.

They also have a lot of money that will be going towards Rafi Fucal next year... If they are able to sign him.

PorkChopExpress
08-11-2005, 11:26 AM
I saw that two people here heard that Griffey is on waivers now. Has this been confirmed? I haven't heard anything anywhere else. I would think if he was on waivers we would be hearing more about teams pursuing him. Anyone know?

nodiggity59
08-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Anaheim is hard to figure. Figgins has played all over the place, but I think they'd like to settle him in the OF and have McPherson at 3B. That means their OF is full. DaVanon has had a down year, but I think they like him long-term as a DH and part-time OF. So do they really have room/need for Griffey?

The Yankees have a few of reasons not to grab Griffey:

Williams
Brown
Mussina
Johnson
Giambi

All bad experiences with players over 35 (cept Giambi) who can't earn their keep ($15mil plus) and will only decline from here on out. I doubt they want to walk down that road again with ANYONE, let alone the injury prone Griffey. Add to the fact that they need 3 starters for next year and a bullpen and their offense is still real good, they won't be focusing on his bat. Also, Griffey would be a defensive upgrade over what they have now but his days as a premier CF are long past.

Bottom line, Griffey doesn't help them win dogs***. Why put in the cash if your real needs are elsewhere and this dude's the definition of a question mark?

mdep524
08-11-2005, 11:36 AM
I agree with ON2 that the Yankees are likely to put a claim in on Griffey, but I don't think its with as much of an eye on the future as you present it. Honestly, if there were no waivers, I doubt the Yankees would even look to deal for Griffey.

I just think that with all this talk about the Sox and Reds talking about a deal, and Griffey now saying he would approve a deal, other AL teams (basically only NYY or maybe Bos or LAA) would put in a claim just to block the trade. Realistically, the Reds are not going to let Griffey go for nothing. If the Yankees put in a claim, the Reds will either briefly discuss a deal (if the Yankees have anything to trade) or just pull Griff back and play out the string with him in CF.

The Yankees know this, so why not put in a claim? It's possible, though unlikely, that you get Griffey in your OF but more importantly you've kept him off any other contender's line up by doing virtually nothing and taking zero risk. Besides the Yankees line up, while inconsistent, is the least of their worries.

GAsoxfan
08-11-2005, 11:44 AM
They also have a lot of money that will be going towards Rafi Fucal next year... If they are able to sign him.

Although it shouldn't be that big of an increase since he's making $5.6M this year.

BeviBall!
08-11-2005, 12:20 PM
The Yanks might also want to spend their money in free agnecy... opt for a younger, cheaper, better option.

BeviBall!
08-11-2005, 12:21 PM
I saw that two people here heard that Griffey is on waivers now. Has this been confirmed? I haven't heard anything anywhere else. I would think if he was on waivers we would be hearing more about teams pursuing him. Anyone know?

Players on waivers are not supposed to be public knowledge.

nodiggity59
08-11-2005, 12:22 PM
The Yanks might also want to spend their money in free agnecy... opt for a younger, cheaper, better option.

Ding Ding Ding!

GAsoxfan
08-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Players on waivers are not supposed to be public knowledge.

Neither was the substance Palmeiro used. Stuff always leaks.

Ol' No. 2
08-11-2005, 01:26 PM
Neither was the substance Palmeiro used. Stuff always leaks.It does, but sometimes the leaks turn out not to be true. Levine reported yesterday that Griffey was on waivers. I don't doubt that the Reds would put him on waivers, but I doubt that Levine has any actual inside information.

maurice
08-11-2005, 02:21 PM
It's not unusual for a team in the Reds' position to put their entire team on waivers between deadlines and then pull them all back if they don't like the proposed deals.

Flight #24
08-11-2005, 02:25 PM
It's not unusual for a team in the Reds' position to put their entire team on waivers between deadlines and then pull them all back if they don't like the proposed deals.

It would be surprising if the Reds hadn't already put Griff on waivers. I would have thought that that would be the first thing teams do after the deadline. For example, if they do it now, when the deal's being discussed again, etc I would think it increases the chance of someone trying to block.

Still, the Reds management isn't exactly full of Mensa candidates.

Hangar18
08-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Still, the Reds management isn't exactly full of Mensa candidates.

Heh heh, ditto for Pittsburgh Pirates Management

Hoffdaddydmb
08-11-2005, 07:09 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8829546/

It's all here folks.

ilsox7
08-11-2005, 07:11 PM

It's all here folks.

First of all, What's the Score?

Second, this is a wonderful example of taking a quote majorly out of context. By quoting Griffey as saying, "The Sox and Reds have to make a deal," it sounds like he is demanding a trade when if fact he was just saying, "Sure I'll go there, but I have little say in it until they make a deal."

Hoffdaddydmb
08-11-2005, 07:14 PM
I think what he's saying is that he approves of the trade. He has a the option not to be traded. I think he realizes he could provide another big bat for us. Not to mention this trade came very close to going through before the trade deadline anyways. Apparently the reds are gonna pick up some of the contract too.

TimoandAaron
"I enjoy being in Chicago," Griffey told WMVP-AM 1000 during the Reds' visit to Chicago this week to play the Cubs. of course he likes to be in Chicago while facing the cubs. It is an easy 3 W's.:D:

soxfan43
WEll put. I don't see griff going anywhere, especially now. but i'd rather have him than palmerio, who some people think will come to the sox.

Hoffdaddydmb
08-11-2005, 07:18 PM
before this article I had read somewhere that even though he had to clear waivers there wasn't alot of other teams looking to grab him. The only thing that is a big question for me is why the trade didn't originally go through before the trade deadline.

cheeses_h_rice
08-11-2005, 07:24 PM
So, in theory, since he's a 10/5 man, could he reject trade offers to any team that claims him off the waivers and only want to go to the White Sox?

whitesoxfan
08-11-2005, 07:24 PM
here's an article that i found online about Griffey wanting to come to the Sox.

MRKARNO
08-11-2005, 07:25 PM
If the Tribune gave this the same treatment that they'd give the Cubs to a similar situation, the headline would read tomorrow:

"Griffey: Trade me to the White Sox"

I'm not going to get my hopes up.

ShoelessJoeS
08-11-2005, 07:36 PM
If the Tribune gave this the same treatment that they'd give the Cubs to a similar situation, the headline would read tomorrow:

"Griffey: Trade me to the White Sox"

I'm not going to get my hopes up.
I've been away for a while, is there any solid evidence of Griffey wanting to come to the Sox or possibly a trade to get him here?

Jjav829
08-11-2005, 08:02 PM
here's an article that i found online about Griffey wanting to come to the Sox.

Is this for real? You have to be a complete idiot to write something like this. Whatever a horrible excuse for journalism. I listened to the cuts that Levine had the other day about Griffey. Griffey did say, "The Reds and Chicago have to make a deal." But......he didn't mean it as, "I really want to come to Chicago so the Reds have to trade me there." Griffey was talking about whether he would waive his 10-5 rights to come here. He said, "The Reds and Chicago have to make a deal," meaning that the Reds and Sox would have to make a deal first, so it isn't worth worrying about where he would or wouldn't go at this point.

This can't be real, can it? I mean this is just completely irresponsible journalism. The "NBCSports.com news services" might as well start working on an apology/retraction right now. Just sloppy journalism...

PaleHoseGeorge
08-11-2005, 08:09 PM
I've been away for a while, is there any solid evidence of Griffey wanting to come to the Sox or possibly a trade to get him here?

Well, of course there is. Haven't you heard Bruce Levine talk about it?
:wink:

http://images.radcity.net/5176/584831.jpg

"That's right. I asked Ken 'what are the last two letters in Chicago' and he definitely answered G-O."

jake27
08-11-2005, 08:33 PM
id take him in a second. i would like my outfield like this...

LF (mabye CF) - Rowand
CF (mabye LF) - Griffey
RF - Dye

an outfield like that??? :drool:

what about pods? well put him at DH. griffeys glove is just too good to waste at DH. while pods isnt a bad outfielder, hes the odd man out with this group.

mdep524
08-11-2005, 08:37 PM
WEll put. I don't see griff going anywhere, especially now. but i'd rather have him than palmerio, who some people think will come to the sox. To be clear, the ONLY human being in Chicago that wants or even thinks about Palmeiro coming to the Sox is Phil Rogers.

SOXfnNlansing
08-11-2005, 08:59 PM
:tomatoaward

Randar68
08-11-2005, 08:59 PM
id take him in a second. i would like my outfield like this...

LF (mabye CF) - Rowand
CF (mabye LF) - Griffey
RF - Dye

an outfield like that??? :drool:

what about pods? well put him at DH. griffeys glove is just too good to waste at DH. while pods isnt a bad outfielder, hes the odd man out with this group.

Hadn't even thought about it like that... That's one amazing OF...

Oh well, this whole thread needs to be in deeppink anyway.

TimoandAaron
08-11-2005, 09:02 PM
if we paid Griffey for a playoff run, wouldnt it be too risky to put him in the outfield?

That is like putting a 3 month healthy frank Thomas at first. Griff would obviously be opur DH

Randar68
08-11-2005, 09:06 PM
if we paid Griffey for a playoff run, wouldnt it be too risky to put him in the outfield?

That is like putting a 3 month healthy frank Thomas at first. Griff would obviously be opur DH

He would undoubtedly be playing in the OF a few times a week minimum, especially here at the end of the season when you're trying to get everyone fresh.

In the playoffs? I don't know what I would do. Probably the above OF of Griffey-Rowand-Dye or Rowand-Griffey-Dye w/ Pods at DH (if DH'ing and maybe not being as loose doesn't take away his speed threat)

Ol' No. 2
08-11-2005, 09:09 PM
He would undoubtedly be playing in the OF a few times a week minimum, especially here at the end of the season when you're trying to get everyone fresh.

In the playoffs? I don't know what I would do. Probably the above OF of Griffey-Rowand-Dye or Rowand-Griffey-Dye w/ Pods at DH (if DH'ing and maybe not being as loose doesn't take away his speed threat)That's what I'd worry about. Not playing the field can mess with your concentration, and that seems to be what he's been having trouble with lately. If they're even thinking about this, they ought to try it out a few times in September.

Flight #24
08-11-2005, 09:09 PM

In the playoffs? I don't know what I would do. Probably the above OF of Griffey-Rowand-Dye or Rowand-Griffey-Dye w/ Pods at DH (if DH'ing and maybe not being as loose doesn't take away his speed threat)

The nice thing is that you can tailor your lineup in a number of ways. Want more power? Griffey in LF, Everett at DH, Pods sits (Iguchi leads off). Want more D? Griffey in LF, Pods DH. Want more contact? Dye at 1B, Griffey in RF, Everett DH's. The possibilities are endless.

:jerry
"Don't get me started. I'm seeing Carl at SS, Griffey at C, Garland at 1B....."

Ol' No. 2
08-11-2005, 09:17 PM
The nice thing is that you can tailor your lineup in a number of ways. Want more power? Griffey in LF, Everett at DH, Pods sits (Iguchi leads off). Want more D? Griffey in LF, Pods DH. Want more contact? Dye at 1B, Griffey in RF, Everett DH's. The possibilities are endless.

"Don't get me started. I'm seeing Carl at SS, Griffey at C, Garland at 1B....."You've got the right guy there at the end. I don't care that much about batting order juggling, but I don't think you want to mess around that much with defensive positions in the playoffs. Leave guys where they're used to playing.

Flight #24
08-11-2005, 09:34 PM
You've got the right guy there at the end. I don't care that much about batting order juggling, but I don't think you want to mess around that much with defensive positions in the playoffs. Leave guys where they're used to playing.

That was meant to be half-teal. The only real flexibility that would be useful would be the ability to swap out someone who's in a deep slump. Ie, if Pods drops off the face of the earth or something. Otherwise I agree with you.

Iwritecode
08-12-2005, 10:09 AM
So, in theory, since he's a 10/5 man, could he reject trade offers to any team that claims him off the waivers and only want to go to the White Sox?

I believe Jamie Moyer did just that a couple of days ago when the Yankees claimed him...

nedlug
08-12-2005, 10:30 AM
But, if one team claims him off of waivers, and Griffey rejects the trade, he then can't be claimed by anyone else or pass through waivers.

The Dude
08-12-2005, 10:46 AM
New Rumor Mill material from sportsline.com

The Chicago Sun-Times says the White Sox still might be in the market for Ken Griffey Jr. to help jump-start their stagnant offense. The newspaper said Yankees GM Brian Cashman has said his team would not put in a claim for Griffey if he was waived by the Reds.

Very Interesting......

balke
08-12-2005, 10:53 AM

The Chicago Sun-Times says the White Sox still might be in the market for Ken Griffey Jr. to help jump-start their stagnant offense. The newspaper said Yankees GM Brian Cashman has said his team would not put in a claim for Griffey if he was waived by the Reds.

Very Interesting......

Yeah, they can't afford him. Like I said before, they probably won't even be able to pay Damon, they need financial flexibility in the offseason.

GAsoxfan
08-12-2005, 10:58 AM
I believe Jamie Moyer did just that a couple of days ago when the Yankees claimed him...

That's true.

BeviBall!
08-12-2005, 11:02 AM
Moyer wants no part of winning. Rejects trades to Houston and New York.

Yanks would only do it as a block move... but it seems that Cashman might have some honor about him. I can't say the same for Beane and Epstein.

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2005, 11:25 AM

Very Interesting......
I'd take this with a large grain of salt. GM's generally play this pretty close to the vest. He's not going to tip off his true intentions. Kenny's not the only one who tries to stay under the radar this time of year.

Edit: In the same Rumor Mill story it says this:
If the Orioles got Rafael Palmeiro through waivers, there are reports that the White Sox and Mets could be interested in trading for him.
-- Philadelphia Daily News They tend to hide behind the old "there are reports" dodge. The source could be some wino he met in an alley.

Brian26
08-12-2005, 11:30 AM
I'd take this with a large grain of salt. GM's generally play this pretty close to the vest. He's not going to tip off his true intentions. Kenny's not the only one who tries to stay under the radar this time of year.

Is there some professional courtesy between Cashman and KW dating back to the '02/'03 seasons?

mdep524
08-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Is there some professional courtesy between Cashman and KW dating back to the '02/'03 seasons? 2003 was an interesting season for Cashman and KW. Before the season, the Yankees basically helped steer Bartolo Colon in the Sox lap to keep him out of Boston. Then, during the waiver period in August, the Sox were in need of right handed relief pitching but for some reason let Seattle's Jeff Nelson slip through waivers to New York. At the time it was speculated KW let the Yankees have Nelson as some kind of payback for Bartolo, but that seems like a stretch.

Would any of that have an effect on what's going on now?

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2005, 11:44 AM
Is there some professional courtesy between Cashman and KW dating back to the '02/'03 seasons?The practice of "blocking" is relatively recent. Before that it was more or less a gentleman's agreement that teams wouldn't put in a waiver claim unless they genuinely wanted the player. That changed about 10 years ago, maybe a little longer. But when the Padres claimed Randy Myers in 1998 to try to keep him from going to Atlanta and got stuck with him, the landscape changed again. Teams are more careful about "blocking" now.

Would Cashman put in a claim to try to block the Sox from getting Griffey? Who knows? Given that the Reds have pretty much telegraphed to everyone that they're not going to let Griffey go for the waiver price, the risk of trying to block is a lot less. And Cashman also has to think about the possibility that the Red Sox MIGHT try to claim him.

Plus, as I've said before, given the black hole the Yankees have in CF and the fact that Griffey makes about the same as Bernie Williams (less when you factor in the deferrals), I think the Yankees might want Griffey.

Soxzilla
08-12-2005, 11:50 AM
We'll, we will hopefully know by today if he cleared waivers. Either that or Levine gets yet another story wrong.

Brian26
08-12-2005, 11:52 AM
2003 was an interesting season for Cashman and KW. Before the season, the Yankees basically helped steer Bartolo Colon in the Sox lap to keep him out of Boston. Then, during the waiver period in August, the Sox were in need of right handed relief pitching but for some reason let Seattle's Jeff Nelson slip through waivers to New York. At the time it was speculated KW let the Yankees have Nelson as some kind of payback for Bartolo, but that seems like a stretch.

This is what I was alluding to. I just couldn't remember if the Nelson thing happened in late 2002 before the Colon trade or after the Colon trade in 2003.

maurice
08-12-2005, 01:04 PM
They tend to hide behind the old "there are reports" dodge. The source could be some wino he met in an alley.

Given the topic, I wouldn't be surprised if the "source" was Phil Rogers.
If Rogers is the best they can do, they should stick to winos.
:tongue:

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2005, 01:14 PM
Given the topic, I wouldn't be surprised if the "source" was Phil Rogers.
If Rogers is the best they can do, they should stick to winos.
:tongue:You're undoubtedly right. On both counts.

JermaineDye05
08-12-2005, 01:39 PM
damn espn and their stupid insider articles now it says "Griffey to white sox?", when are they ever right, they've had tons of rumors this year and I don't think any of them have been right

Taliesinrk
08-12-2005, 02:06 PM
I've only read the ESPN insider article and it made it seem as though it was all speculation if Griffey were placed on waivers? Is that wrong? Has Griffey already been placed on waivers and we're just waiting now? If so, when was he placed on them??

The Racehorse
08-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Has Griffey already been placed on waivers and we're just waiting now? If so, when was he placed on them??

I don't know that answer...

... as for Erik Kuselias [filling in for Dan Patrick today], he said his "sources" are saying that the Yankees will pass on Griffey, making a deal [with the Sox] very possible.

balke
08-12-2005, 02:28 PM
They don't list it as a transaction on ESPN.com. I have interpreted everything as "The Yankees WOULDN'T pickup Griffey" or "Cashman says he WOULDN'T pickup Griffey" not that they are presently faced with the decision. Maybe who's been placed on waivers isn't officially reported though, so who knows.

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2005, 02:34 PM
They don't list it as a transaction on ESPN.com. I have interpreted everything as "The Yankees WOULDN'T pickup Griffey" or "Cashman says he WOULDN'T pickup Griffey" not that they are presently faced with the decision. Maybe who's been placed on waivers isn't officially reported though, so who knows.Waivers are not publicly reported. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in these "sources". The same Rumor Mill page says the Sox are interested in trading for Rafael Palmeiro.

Kogs35
08-12-2005, 02:41 PM
this reminds me of when espn did the eddy curry trade rumor of the day on the insider thanks to sam smith. i hate the tribune

BeviBall!
08-12-2005, 02:43 PM
Waivers are not publicly reported. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in these "sources". The same Rumor Mill page says the Sox are interested in trading for Rafael Palmeiro.

Picking up Raffy is not that outlandish. The Sox need offense... pill-popping or otherwise.

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Picking up Raffy is not that outlandish. The Sox need offense... pill-popping or otherwise.I'd rather lose.

BeviBall!
08-12-2005, 02:51 PM
I'd rather lose.

I'm with you... but it's not unfathomable.

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2005, 03:01 PM
I'm with you... but it's not unfathomable.I think it is. Kenny wouldn't touch Palmeiro with a 10-foot pole. (No Viagra jokes, please! We don't want this to get sent to the ****house.)

White Sox Randy
08-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Picking up Raffy is not that outlandish. The Sox need offense... pill-popping or otherwise.

If the choice was pick up Palmeiro and maybe make the WS or don't pick him up and NO WS for the Sox .......I would rather not have the WS.

Soxzilla
08-12-2005, 03:15 PM
Picking up Palmeiro would be a PR nightmare. KW knows White Sox fans, and he knows for damn sure we wouldn't appreciate that scumbag on our ballclub.

MushMouth
08-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Yeah - No palmeiro

I just can't stomach it - Not with people like Frank getting the short end of the stick throughout the 90's because of jerks like Raffy and Giambi and Bonds and Sosa and McGwire hitting absurd numbers and threatening to cheapen Thomas's accomplishments.

Griffey's too for that matter- look at Frank and Griffey, probably the best two non-Anabolic using 90's hitters.

davenicholson
08-12-2005, 05:42 PM
If the choice was pick up Palmeiro and maybe make the WS or don't pick him up and NO WS for the Sox .......I would rather not have the WS.
I surprised myself with how easily I agree with this. No thanks.

CYGarland20
08-12-2005, 06:48 PM
I surprised myself with how easily I agree with this. No thanks. If Raffy really was the missing piece to getting us to the WS, I'd do it in a heartbeat!...........I don't think he is, but Griffey might be. :cool:

pczarapa
08-12-2005, 10:00 PM
I surprised myself with how easily I agree with this. No thanks.

What? Seriously, you'd rather not win the world series than have Palmeiro on your team? Do you know how many of your baseball idols probably juiced or did amphetamines? The surface hasn't been scratched on this steroid stuff.

balke
08-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Raffy sucks, I don't know why this thread still brings him up. We already have a DH that can do exactly what he does, and he's a switch hitter.

Griffey can actually play the field and add 36 doubles however many more HR's he has and hit lefty with more RBI.

Domeshot17
08-12-2005, 11:46 PM
ESPN INSIDER Rumor Mill claims that a Yankees source said the team would not claim Griffey on Waivers, making a deal to the sox and very good possibility. Doesnt say who the source is, also said the angels may attempt to block, but it is only a slight possibility

SABRSox
08-12-2005, 11:48 PM
ESPN INSIDER Rumor Mill claims that a Yankees source said the team would not claim Griffey on Waivers, making a deal to the sox and very good possibility. Doesnt say who the source is, also said the angels may attempt to block, but it is only a slight possibility

The word here in LA is that Stoneman won't block a trade. He needs a right handed bat much more than a left handed bat, and is counting on a resurgance of Steve Finley, Orlando Cabrera, and Dallas McPherson to push the Angels into the post-season.

Good luck with all of that...

FJA
08-13-2005, 09:19 AM

It is believed that Griffey already has cleared waivers, without being claimed, so the Reds could trade him if they wish, although O'Brien has said he is not interested in trading any of his outfielders.

This from the Dayton Daily News ... not exactly the center of the baseball world, but here's a link.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0813griffey.html

Soxzilla
08-13-2005, 09:44 AM
This from the Dayton Daily News ... not exactly the center of the baseball world, but here's a link.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0813griffey.html

Don't be ridiculous. If they weren't planning on trading him the first place, the White Sox would have claimed him off waivers.

***** O'Retard.:rolleyes:

balke
08-13-2005, 10:11 AM
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Angels blocked. I know they don't need a lefty, but one more bat wouldn't hurt them right now, and they have money. They seem the most likely to block out of anyone IMO, unless Beane feels like he can afford Griff for a legitimate playoff run.

Flight #24
08-13-2005, 11:28 AM
Don't be ridiculous. If they weren't planning on trading him the first place, the White Sox would have claimed him off waivers.

***** O'Retard.:rolleyes:

Why? If KW/JR aren't willing to take on the full contract, then you don't claim him. The only reason to do that was if you were worried they might trade him to someone else. But that's highly unlikely since there aren't any other teams that can use him that are willing to take on much salary.

If the Sox did claim him, he'd be pulled back and they'd work on a trade. I..e the same thing they're doing now, but you'd add the risk of having them let him go and absorbing the full contract.

Soxzilla
08-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Why? If KW/JR aren't willing to take on the full contract, then you don't claim him. The only reason to do that was if you were worried they might trade him to someone else. But that's highly unlikely since there aren't any other teams that can use him that are willing to take on much salary.

If the Sox did claim him, he'd be pulled back and they'd work on a trade. I..e the same thing they're doing now, but you'd add the risk of having them let him go and absorbing the full contract.

Cheap and stupid.

That is, if they aren't trading for him eventually now that he has cleared waivers.

CHEAP AND ****ING STUPID.:rolleyes:

balke
08-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Man, I'm leaving Chicago for 8 months next week, with no real time to come back for a game. I'll be upset if I don't get to go to a game with Griffey in a Sox uniform, if all this ends up working out. Its bad enough I won't have a shot to catch the playoffs. :(:

Flight #24
08-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Cheap and stupid.

That is, if they aren't trading for him eventually now that he has cleared waivers.

CHEAP AND ****ING STUPID.:rolleyes:

I'm as much in favor of a Griffey deal as anyone, but you have to at least notice that this is the first time in 5 years that he's topped 350 ABs. Yes, by now he's a solid bet to last through the rest of the season, but he's a great bet to get hurt again before the contract is up.

Would they still be "cheap & stupid" if and when they have $6mil sitting on the DL with another $6mil deferred? Or are you from the school that believes in the bottomless, budgetless team where if a big salary guy gets hurt you simply go out and replace him with another one?

(or was that "cheap & stupid" comment supposed to be in teal?)

harwar
08-13-2005, 02:46 PM
Man, I'm leaving Chicago for 8 months next week, with no real time to come back for a game. I'll be upset if I don't get to go to a game with Griffey in a Sox uniform, if all this ends up working out. Its bad enough I won't have a shot to catch the playoffs. :(:

I know how you feel.
In 83 i had to leave the day of the first playoff game with the orioles and go to sea for 2 months.
I didn't find out what happened to the White sox for a couple of weeks,until we put in somewhere in England.

davenicholson
08-13-2005, 02:48 PM
What? Seriously, you'd rather not win the world series than have Palmeiro on your team?
Yes.

NDSox12
08-13-2005, 03:01 PM
Yes.

I agree, especially since I don't see how acquiring Rafael Palmeiro would assure any post season success anyway. If he's in the lineup, that most likely means Everett is on the bench. I'd say that is a step in the wrong direction.

Now Griffey is a different story....

JermaineDye05
08-13-2005, 03:22 PM
does anyone have a pic yet with griffey in the sox hat

JermaineDye05
08-13-2005, 03:24 PM
if not could some1 make 1 for me, I'd just love to have that just in case

Jjav829
08-13-2005, 03:43 PM
if not could some1 make 1 for me, I'd just love to have that just in case

No. Absolutely not. We went through this during the last offseason and not one person from another team who had a Sox hat photoshopped onto their picture ever came to the Sox. Besides that, it's annoying as hell.

Soxzilla
08-13-2005, 04:39 PM
I'm as much in favor of a Griffey deal as anyone, but you have to at least notice that this is the first time in 5 years that he's topped 350 ABs. Yes, by now he's a solid bet to last through the rest of the season, but he's a great bet to get hurt again before the contract is up.

Would they still be "cheap & stupid" if and when they have $6mil sitting on the DL with another $6mil deferred? Or are you from the school that believes in the bottomless, budgetless team where if a big salary guy gets hurt you simply go out and replace him with another one?

This is the season where you roll the dice and hope you hit it big. Griffey is no more at a chance to get injured this season then Aaron Rowand right now.

If he gets hurt this year before the playoffs, peanuts. He'll more than likely be ready to go for another run at the WS next year. We need a 'true' power alley in our lineup, and Griffey - Konerko - Dye would supplement each other well.

Jjav, it wasn't annoying seeing Randa in WSJ's sig every time he posted in EVERY thread...was it?:tongue:

Brian26
08-13-2005, 05:02 PM
No. Absolutely not. We went through this during the last offseason and not one person from another team who had a Sox hat photoshopped onto their picture ever came to the Sox. Besides that, it's annoying as hell.

Especially the Joe Randa one.

DickAllen72
08-13-2005, 05:10 PM
FWIW, George Offman of WSCR has been reporting that Griffey Jr. now has "likely" cleared waivers.

MIgrenade
08-13-2005, 05:13 PM
FWIW, George Offman of WSCR has been reporting that Griffey Jr. now has "likely" cleared waivers.

Yeah I just heard this, and I can't believe it. As long as Aaron is the center fielder I say get him.

NDSox12
08-13-2005, 05:15 PM
Yeah I just heard this, and I can't believe it. As long as Aaron is the center fielder I say get him.

I assume you mean as long as Aaron remains the center field, go ahead and get Griffey? If so, I agree.

At first read, I thought you were saying that as long as Aaron is our center fielder, we need to find someone else (Griffey).

samram
08-13-2005, 05:15 PM

That's assuming he's actually been put on waivers.

MIgrenade
08-13-2005, 05:29 PM
I assume you mean as long as Aaron remains the center field, go ahead and get Griffey? If so, I agree.

At first read, I thought you were saying that as long as Aaron is our center fielder, we need to find someone else (Griffey).

I'm agreeing with you.

tsamdog
08-13-2005, 05:48 PM
The future is now as far as I'm concerned. My perspective, however, is that of a 50 year old, who has seen limited opportunities present themselves to MY team to get to the WS, while other teams 'rented' hired guns and played in October. When I was 28 in 1983, I thought that the Sox with their pitching staff would be contenders for years to come, and that did not happen. In '83 would I have wanted a major player to come in and disrupt the 'Winning Ugly' boys' chemistry? Hell, no. But now.....older...wiser (or more pragmatic).

BeviBall!
08-13-2005, 06:50 PM
That's assuming he's actually been put on waivers.

ESPN has reported the same. They are also saying there is a Junior for 3 prospects deal in the works.

MRKARNO
08-13-2005, 07:35 PM

We dont need his glove. We need his bat. He may not be too happy about it, but if he's here he would have to play as the DH about 1/2 the time or more. There is no other way to make sure that we get proper return on the investment. It seems that most of his injuries occured in the field and DHing him would eliminate that possiblity. The DH was created for aging superstars who could still hit but were a liability in the field for health or defensive purposes. Griffey fits that description.

Malgar 12
08-13-2005, 07:41 PM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050813/SPT04/508130363

Flight #24
08-13-2005, 08:27 PM
This is the season where you roll the dice and hope you hit it big. Griffey is no more at a chance to get injured this season then Aaron Rowand right now.

If he gets hurt this year before the playoffs, peanuts. He'll more than likely be ready to go for another run at the WS next year. We need a 'true' power alley in our lineup, and Griffey - Konerko - Dye would supplement each other well.

No disagreement there, I'm just saying it's not surprising that a team would be wary of picking up that huge contract and basically guaranteeing that if/when he gets injured, that year is wrecked. In that case, if you DON'T win this year, you've basically screwed yourself for a while.

This way, even if you don't win now, you're still in decent shape for next year. In fact, you're arguably in better shape than for this year since you added Griffey to basically the same team and you don't lose anyone major (assuming Paulie's resigned).

skobabe8
08-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Get this deal done. We need a bat. The pitching has been great all year, but hasnt had much room for error either. If not Griffey, then someone else. Just get a bat, KW.

Jurr
08-13-2005, 08:44 PM
I have a feeling that Podsednik's going to be making a rest trip to the DL for his adductor muscle strain. That's a bad injury to have, and it'll take a little time to heal. Bringing in Griffey's starting to look like a true possibility.

brewcrew/chisox
08-13-2005, 08:58 PM
"Asked if he'd prefer to stay in Cincinnati, Griffey said: "I'd prefer to win."

You will win if you come here KG jr. Do it KW...Do it now.

BeviBall!
08-13-2005, 09:06 PM
I have a feeling that Podsednik's going to be making a rest trip to the DL for his adductor muscle strain. That's a bad injury to have, and it'll take a little time to heal. Bringing in Griffey's starting to look like a true possibility.

Not to mention Pablo's play in LF tonight. I have a feeling Junior can play a better LF.

mdep524
08-13-2005, 09:35 PM
I have a feeling that Podsednik's going to be making a rest trip to the DL for his adductor muscle strain. That's a bad injury to have, and it'll take a little time to heal. Bringing in Griffey's starting to look like a true possibility. Bringing in Griffey just to spell Pods while he's on the DL would be a little excessive, IMO. But, the Sox are in an enviable position of being able to rest anybody at anytime, given their standing in the AL Central. So I wouldn't mind them "taking turns" so to speak on the DL. Pods, Everett, Dye, Crede, Hermanson, Duque. Possibly even guys that aren't injured per se but have been worked more than normal- Cotts, Politte, Konerko.

Eveyone gets "15 days off" at the end of August/beginning of September so they come back rested and at full strength for the playoffs. Plus, it would get at bats/innings to everyone from youngsters worth a cup of coffee-- McCarthy, Jenks, Baj, Borchard, Anderson-- and vets who need their work- Gload, Timo, Blum, Vizcaino. Then of course if you go out and get Griffey, all the OF/DHs get their at-bats.

Probably a little radical to do with the DL, plus rosters expand to 40 on September 1 anyway. But worth a thought.

Jurr
08-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Bringing in Griffey just to spell Pods while he's on the DL would be a little excessive, IMO. But, the Sox are in an enviable position of being able to rest anybody at anytime, given their standing in the AL Central. So I wouldn't mind them "taking turns" so to speak on the DL. Pods, Everett, Dye, Crede, Hermanson, Duque. Possibly even guys that aren't injured per se but have been worked more than normal- Cotts, Politte, Konerko.

Eveyone gets "15 days off" at the end of August/beginning of September so they come back rested and at full strength for the playoffs. Plus, it would get at bats/innings to everyone from youngsters worth a cup of coffee-- McCarthy, Jenks, Baj, Borchard, Anderson-- and vets who need their work- Gload, Timo, Blum, Vizcaino. Then of course if you go out and get Griffey, all the OF/DHs get their at-bats.

Probably a little radical to do with the DL, plus rosters expand to 40 on September 1 anyway. But worth a thought.
Getting Griffey isn't about getting other guys AB's. I don't think it's an August/September move. We're talking October. It's about getting a bat to protect our power hitters, balancing up the lineup, and putting together a World Series caliber offense.

I like what you're saying..you've thought it out well about who's in the lineup and what that would cause, but I think getting Griffey's left handed power bat in the three hole opens up a can of worms for opposing teams to deal with.

mdep524
08-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Getting Griffey isn't about getting other guys AB's. I don't think it's an August/September move. We're talking October. It's about getting a bat to protect our power hitters, balancing up the lineup, and putting together a World Series caliber offense.

I like what you're saying..you've thought it out well about who's in the lineup and what that would cause, but I think getting Griffey's left handed power bat in the three hole opens up a can of worms for opposing teams to deal with. Agreed. Griffey would be here for October, definitely.

tsamdog
08-13-2005, 10:13 PM

You're absolutely correct....rest, stretching and stim.... It could take weeks to heal. Pods' crossover has sufferred as a result of the strain. KW needs to pull the trigger on this one.....NOW.

ChiSoxlukes
08-13-2005, 10:23 PM
Bring in Griffey, Rest Pods, and when Pods is ready: DH. Let Griffey play left to give Pod's groin a break from the outfield.

PAPChiSox729
08-13-2005, 10:25 PM
Bring in Griffey, Rest Pods, and when Pods is ready: DH. Let Griffey play left to give Pod's groin a break from the outfield.

Well yeah, that is a good plan. I just want his bat in the lineup more than anything.
:D:

Flight #24
08-13-2005, 10:34 PM

If you think about it, keeping Carl @ DH and putting Griffey in LF changes the O but doesn't make it any less potent.

Iguchi
Rowand
Griffey
Konerko
Everett
Dye
AJ
Crede
Uribe

Is a pretty damn solid order. More of a typical MLB order than we used to have since it's got more power and less speed than what we've rolled out so far. But I'd go to war with that crew, let Pods get nice & healed up, and then bring him back strong, giving Griffey & Everett some good solid rests in September to keep everyone fresh.

chisoxfanatic
08-13-2005, 10:36 PM
According to Foxsports.com, Cashman has basically stated he's not gonna claim Griffey off waivers. This bodes well for us. It looks like Griffey could really be on his way here in the next day or two! Let's give him a standing-o for his first AB if he DOES come!

SOX ADDICT '73
08-13-2005, 10:41 PM
I (like many Sox fans) tend toward pessimism, so I'm not getting my hopes up until there's an official statement by the team.

That said, picking up Griffey would go a long way toward curing my blues after a weekend like this one (Grossman injury/dropping at least 2 to the Red Cubs/Cardinals catching us in the win column).

ChiSoxGirl
08-13-2005, 10:53 PM
Personally, I've never been a fan of Griffey on-field... only because I thought he had a pompous, arrogant attitude about him. The way he'd stand there at the plate and "admire" his homeruns when he was with Seattle really pissed me off as a young baseball/Sox fan.

That said, after listening to & watching these last two games against Boston, I think we must go get Griffey! His would be a hell of a bat to insert into the lineup. As was said by a couple other posters in this thread, with Pods nursing that sore groin area and possibly going on the DL, inserting a guy like Griffey into the outfield in Pods' place seems so much more appealing than the likes of Pablo Ozuna, he of the gift two-bagger to Ortiz.

These damn Red Sox just don't quit, no matter how good our pitching is; unfortunately, our pitching has been less than stellar this series, but that's neither here nor there. Konerko, Rowand, Everett, and Dye have significant averages and HR & RBI totals, but it just seems to me that those numbers would increase for all four if Griffey were inserted behind one of them.

The future is now. It's now or never. Insert any other appropriate cliches you'd like, but the bottom line is this: KW MUST do everything in his power to land Griffey!

buehrle4cy05
08-13-2005, 10:56 PM
"Asked if he'd prefer to stay in Cincinnati, Griffey said: "I'd prefer to win."

You will win if you come here KG jr. Do it KW...Do it now.

It's not on KW. It's on that tightwad of a Reds owner, Carl Lindner. And he won't do it. Lindner is above and beyond the worst owner in baseball right now. Look what he's done to the once great Cincinnati franchise...

Jurr
08-13-2005, 11:10 PM
It's not on KW. It's on that tightwad of a Reds owner, Carl Lindner. And he won't do it. Lindner is above and beyond the worst owner in baseball right now. Look what he's done to the once great Cincinnati franchise...
Ohhh..Marge Schott had her hands in a lot of that business.

gosox3072
08-13-2005, 11:29 PM
GOD.....I love griffys attitude, PLLLLEEEEEAAASSSEEE make this happen KW!

Ventura Fan 23
08-13-2005, 11:37 PM
Wow, you guys want him, and I'm thinking "NO, do not do this!"

We do not need Griffey. Aaron Rowand is a great defensive CF, and he is hitting well as of late, and Carl is doing fine as well. He's not a big step up from either of those players, and we'd have to part with some kick ass prospects to get him. Plus there's his contract...and his history of injuries...

rbitime
08-13-2005, 11:41 PM
I say we get him and screw carl then next year put him in right and dye dh's or keep him as dh.

by the way this is my first post.

TomBradley72
08-13-2005, 11:41 PM
With Pods and Carl dealing with injuries...and Dye and Rowand's history of injury...I say go for it. This (so far) is one of the top 2-3 teams in our 105 year history...we can deal with replenishing the prospects we give up and with Griffey's contract after we win the World Series.

DVsoxfan
08-13-2005, 11:46 PM

We do not need Griffey. Aaron Rowand is a great defensive CF, and he is hitting well as of late, and Carl is doing fine as well. He's not a big step up from either of those players, and we'd have to part with some kick ass prospects to get him. Plus there's his contract...and his history of injuries...

Yea but having Carl on the bench makes our bench a whole lot more threatening...Carl as a pinch hitter in the playoffs could do some serious damage

rbitime
08-13-2005, 11:50 PM
What is the chance of us getting him, Should I get my hopes up?

TheOldRoman
08-13-2005, 11:53 PM

We DO need Griffey. He will not replace Rowand, Aaron would still start in CF. Griffey IS a big step up from Carl, and Rowand for that matter. Griffey is a much better hitter than Everett. Most important factors are: get Junior in here to play some LF while Scotty gets a couple of weeks to rest his groin; and get Griffey so we will have seen the last of Timo Perez. Come October, Griffey and Scotty will rotate LF and DH. This is huge because it moves Carl to the bench. He is fine with that- he knew all year he would be a bench player when Big Frank came back. Carl would be HUGE in the playoffs. Any team would kill to have a clutch switch hitting power hitter coming off the bench late in the game.
Getting Griffey would improve the Sox greatly. Probably the most important aspect is, besides him being a big upgrade over Carl and Carl being a huge upgrade over Timo, is that we have been HORRIBLE against right handed pitching this year. Look at this week, where we have been shut down by such aces as Aaron Small and Shawn Chacon. We need a big left handed bat in the middle of the lineup, and Griffey is just that. He makes a lot of money, but we are only paying him $6mil a year for 3 more years. He has deferred money, of which the Reds will pick up some. In the trade reported earlier, we were only giving the Reds one really good prospect and one average one, according to people who know the minors. Griffey has a history of injuries, but he has been healthy this year, and is he remains healthy into the playoffs, he would greatly increase our chances at winning it all. It is a worthwhile risk.

TheOldRoman
08-13-2005, 11:58 PM
What is the chance of us getting him, Should I get my hopes up?
Well, no report has gotten word from the Reds that they would trade Griffey. However, we do know that he has been placed on waivers. If the Reds had no intentions of moving Griffey, they wouldn't put him on waivers. George (jag)Offman reported that Griffey has probably cleared waivers, and the only team that would possibly claim Griffey, the Yankees, seem likely to pass on him (if they haven't already). If Griffey has cleared waivers, the Reds are free to trade him to anyone they want. Things are looking good right now.

rbitime
08-14-2005, 12:03 AM
good, i am happy because I think he is the final piece to the puzzle this year.

rbitime
08-14-2005, 12:10 AM
I think that I need to get a jersey made of him because I did that wih freddy and it happened! so whichjersey should I get?

Domeshot17
08-14-2005, 12:16 AM
Griffey= Consistency( sorry I am on this wierd portable pc of my aunts while on vacation, apologize for any other typos i missed)

Carl is good, but since Frank Went Down, it seems like Carl has too ( in terms of production). Griffey brings it all, offense defense presence and LEADERSHIP. Out of our entire starting lineup, the only 3 everyday players with some playoff experience= AJ-Dye-PK. Griffey has been there and knows what it takes, he will do nothing but help. We have no increased payroll at all this year since opening day and attendance is through the roof ( great job everyone!) so the sox should feel safe opening up that wallet, especially with playoff revenue also on the way

Whitesoxtom
08-14-2005, 12:51 AM
Well, no report has gotten word from the Reds that they would trade Griffey. However, we do know that he has been placed on waivers.

I am just curious, how do we know Griffey was put on waivers? I thought it was all speculation. The reports on the radio seemed to be rumors.

TheOldRoman
08-14-2005, 02:08 AM
I am just curious, how do we know Griffey was put on waivers? I thought it was all speculation. The reports on the radio seemed to be rumors.
It isn't reported to the public when players go on waivers, but baseball "insiders" Offman and Levine have reported that Griffey was placed on waivers. On Wed, Levine came forth with the "Griffey loves Chicago, would play for the Sox" and the revelation that he was placed on waiver. Whether Levine is full of it, we will see.

Dan H
08-14-2005, 08:44 AM
I am not a big fan of Mike Downey's but he had a great column today. The two losses to Boston are no call to panic, but it also exposed the Sox as a team that still needs help. I can't believe people who say the Sox don't need Griffey. A potent left handed hitter is exactly what they need. I don't like the idea of trading away the future anymore than anyone else. But we have been waiting long enough and Griffey may still have two more good years in him. Or would Sox fans prefer to see Pablo butchering up left field? Physcially, the team is hurting. If Williams can make this move, he should do it, and not lose any sleep over something that may never happen in the future.

Trav
08-14-2005, 09:00 AM
Does anyone know if he has been put on waivers? Cleared waivers?
This move should have been done before the deadline if it is done at all. Remember, every other team has a chance to nix this deal for the SOX.

hose
08-14-2005, 09:05 AM
Griffey's stick would be a great addition to the team.

If KW did pick up Griffey then Paulie would not be resigned for next year.

2006:

CF-Griffey or Rowand
RF-Griffey or Rowand
LF- Pods
1B- Dye/Gload as back up
DH- Carl

it works for me

SOXSINCE'70
08-14-2005, 09:11 AM
Whether Levine is full of it, we will see.

Whether he's right or he's wrong,Bruce Levine-Line is full of it.:angry: :angry:

Clarkdog
08-14-2005, 09:29 AM
According to Buster Olney - Ken Griffey Jr. has cleared waivers. This was reported this morning (Sunday) on ESPN Radio.

hose
08-14-2005, 09:36 AM
According to Buster Olney - Ken Griffey Jr. has cleared waivers. This was reported this morning (Sunday) on ESPN Radio.

:KW

"Let's make a deal"

:supernana::supernana::supernana::supernana::super nana::supernana::supernana::supernana:

harwar
08-14-2005, 10:06 AM
I read somewhere that there is a rule that waiver activity can't be released to the public.
I wouldn't be sirprised if Griffey was already through and,i for one,hope that KW is going to get him.
If Griffey has passed throught the waiver process and no one has put in a claim as of yet,then maybe KW is biding his time to see what deal he can make and there is no hurry.
Also,i don't think we should blame Osuna for not being able to play a position where he doesn't belong anyway.
Pablo seems to do a good job at short and second.
I'm not sure what Ozzie was thinking in putting the kid out there instead of,maybe Timo.

Optipessimism
08-14-2005, 10:15 AM
I'm guessing that KW takes Sox losses just as personal as anyone here. That said, I'm sure he's been pretty pissed about the Boston Series so far, so I would imagine that if Griffey has cleared, Kenny is on the phone right now.

Optipessimism
08-14-2005, 10:22 AM
Personally, I've never been a fan of Griffey on-field... only because I thought he had a pompous, arrogant attitude about him. The way he'd stand there at the plate and "admire" his homeruns when he was with Seattle really pissed me off as a young baseball/Sox fan.

I used to hate AJ with a passion, but he's quickly become my second favorite catcher in Sox history, right behind Fisk. Opinions quickly change.

KW MUST do everything in his power to land Griffey!

Yes!

And I think he will, but there's only so much a sensible human being can do in terms of persuading the Reds to give up their oldest, most injury prone, and most expensive bargaining chip. I'm sure Kenny will try though.

To the pursuit of Griffey! :gulp:

hose
08-14-2005, 10:25 AM
I think Griffey wants to play for a contending team and having the option to DH is another advantage in the Sox favor.

If the Reds are willing to pick up some of Griffey's salary like the Yankees did with Contreras it would be a win win situation for both teams.

Jjav829
08-14-2005, 10:54 AM
I say we get him and screw carl then next year put him in right and dye dh's or keep him as dh.

by the way this is my first post.

Hey, Welcome Aboard. :rolleyes:

santo=dorf
08-14-2005, 10:54 AM
Why didn't the Sox just put a claim in for Griffey instead of letting him clear completely? Do the Sox need more than 72 hours to get a trade done?

beckett21
08-14-2005, 11:04 AM
Why didn't the Sox just put a claim in for Griffey instead of letting him clear completely? Do the Sox need more than 72 hours to get a trade done?

Given the recent track record with Reds ownership, probably.

balke
08-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Griffey's stick would be a great addition to the team.

If KW did pick up Griffey then Paulie would not be resigned for next year.

2006:

CF-Griffey or Rowand
RF-Griffey or Rowand
LF- Pods
1B- Dye/Gload as back up
DH- Carl

it works for me

Would Griffey really play RF? I mean I know he can, and might see action there, but how hard would it be for a Gold Glove CFer to learn LF? IF things work out well, every outfielder will have someone who can back them up, and every outfielder should see a chance to DH.

Getting Griffey doesn't "Screw" Carl. He might not start everyday, but the majority of the time, he'll find a way into the lineup. I really hope this trade/waiver thing goes down.

hose
08-14-2005, 11:30 AM

Any team can claim Griffey up till November now that he has cleared waivers.

It still comes down to Griffey willing to except going to the Sox. He has 10 and 5 rights and can veto any trade.

If Griffey did except being moved to the Sox then the Sox would be on the hook for all of his salary to the tune of $41 million over 3 years if he was claimed off waivers.

A trade is really the only realistic way Griffey will come to the Southside with prospects going to the Reds and Griffey and cash going to the Sox.

Now that the waiver wire hurdle is a reality it only takes Reds management and Griffey to make it happen.

sircaffey1
08-14-2005, 11:37 AM

Guess it's mainly because they don't want to pick up Jr.'s whole contract. Perhaps also out of courtesy to the Reds. KW just playing nice when ultimately KW knows that if the Reds decide to trade Jr. he'll beat any offer.

BeviBall!
08-14-2005, 11:40 AM
Guess it's mainly because they don't want to pick up Jr.'s whole contract. Perhaps also out of courtesy to the Reds. KW just playing nice when ultimately KW knows that if the Reds decide to trade Jr. he'll beat any offer.

And they don't have to pay the $50,000 fee.

santo=dorf
08-14-2005, 11:50 AM
And they don't have to pay the $50,000 fee.

.....ahhh, good call.

soxwon
08-14-2005, 12:22 PM

we need GRIFFEY now.
In boston we are looking bad, we are missing a huge bat
now with pods hurt.
a deal MUST be done NOW!!!!

DarkCloudDropo
08-14-2005, 12:33 PM
we need GRIFFEY now.
In boston we are looking bad, we are missing a huge bat
now with pods hurt.
a deal MUST be done NOW!!!!

Two losses in a row. It's just too much to take. :rolleyes:

Trav
08-14-2005, 12:48 PM
If Jr comes to the Sox then next year we will have Carl and Jr splitting time between DH and OF when giving the three regulars a break. This means that a full time DH named Thomas will not have a spot on the team.

Ol' No. 2
08-14-2005, 12:50 PM
If Jr comes to the Sox then next year we will have Carl and Jr splitting time between DH and OF when giving the three regulars a break. This means that a full time DH named Thomas will not have a spot on the team.If the Sox get Griffey, Carl will be playing elsewhere next year.

SoxFan76
08-14-2005, 12:51 PM
My first reaction was this: Rowand has been doing great in centerfield, and Everett has been doing good at the DH spot. BUT, as great as Rowand has been in center this year, Griffey is better. AND, as good as Everett has been with the bat, Griffey is better. So what if either Rowand or Everett have to sit once in awhile...Griffey is a better option at both spots. Plus, having Everett or Rowand on the bench is a really nice tool to have, especially since both have been so clutch this year. I wouldn't want anybody else coming in to pinch hit in the playoffs.

Speaking of clutch, maybe Dye should go to 1st, Griffey in center, Rowand in right, Everett DH, and trade Konerko for another bullpen guy!!! haha, ok so that won't happen, but it sure would be nice, not to mention it's a little late to be trading players.

Optipessimism
08-14-2005, 12:53 PM
If the Sox get Griffey, Carl will be playing elsewhere next year.

I don't think so.

If the Sox get Griffey, Frank will be playing elsewhere next year and Carl will be the rotating LF/RF/DH where he still plays 4-5 days per week and gives a guy the day off without Tim/Gload/Ozuna 'who wants to be an outfielder' experiment.

Griffey, in my own perfect world, spends 3 days per week in LF with Pods DH'ing and 3 days per week DH'in with Pods in LF.

SoxSpeed22
08-14-2005, 12:56 PM
If Jr comes to the Sox then next year we will have Carl and Jr splitting time between DH and OF when giving the three regulars a break. This means that a full time DH named Thomas will not have a spot on the team.Carl won't be back next year, they either already used their option on him or this is the last year of his deal. Brian Anderson will be in a Sox uniform by this time next year and depending on what happens with Paulie, I don't want to hear any more **** about Dye being a full-time first baseman. This also depends on when and if Frank returns for keeping extra outfielders. If this gets through, the outfield stays the same for the time being and in the World Series, against a right hander, I'd have Griffey play RF.

Optipessimism
08-14-2005, 01:05 PM
Carl won't be back next year, they either already used their option on him or this is the last year of his deal. Brian Anderson will be in a Sox uniform by this time next year and depending on what happens with Paulie, I don't want to hear any more **** about Dye being a full-time first baseman. This also depends on when and if Frank returns for keeping extra outfielders. If this gets through, the outfield stays the same for the time being and in the World Series, against a right hander, I'd have Griffey play RF.

There's a team option on Everett I believe. Plus KW likes him, so there's no reason to trade for him a third time.

Carl is one of the biggest keys to this team this year. He has given us something that we haven't had in the past and that is depth. Every single game that Carl is in I thank god that I'm not looking at Gload in RF or Timo DHing.

Whether it is starting or coming off the bench, we need Everett. You can't just pretend that the bench isn't important. You can't just pretend that the world is perfect and we'll only need our starters, because the first time someone goes down with an injury KW would be stuck having to overpay for a bat.

And, I'm as much of a Big Hurt fan as anyone, but if I were running this team I would buy out his option. Period. Give the money to Carl. Frank will either have another surgery or else he will take another route, but still be on the verge of one. Carl stays, bye bye Frank.

DarkCloudDropo
08-14-2005, 01:06 PM
as great as Rowand has been in center this year, Griffey is better.

Maybe the 90's version of Griffey was better. Not today.

Optipessimism
08-14-2005, 01:09 PM
Maybe the 90's version of Griffey was better. Not today.

Even if he was running around like the Griffey of old, I still would rather save his legs and DH him or put him in LF.

Trav
08-14-2005, 01:14 PM
If the Sox get Griffey, Carl will be playing elsewhere next year.

I was under the impression that Carl is under contract for next year as is the OF. If not then I agree with you.

Chisox003
08-14-2005, 01:15 PM
. BUT, as great as Rowand has been in center this year, Griffey is better.

Youre kidding right?

Have you been :gulp:, or did you miss that entire series in NY this week?

Or are you not aware the price Griffey is going to cost, and the risk he comes with?

Im all for adding Griff, no doubt in my mind he will be HUGE for this team....Just not in CF

Aaron Rowand IS our CF, its that simple....

Flight #24
08-14-2005, 01:46 PM
I was under the impression that Carl is under contract for next year as is the OF. If not then I agree with you.

Sox have a team option on Carl for '06 at IIRC 5M. If Griffey's here, you have the choice of keeping Carl or resigning Paulie at $9M (the rumored offer). Either is feasible. I doubt with Anderson in the wings that they keep Carl at that price.

SoxFan76
08-14-2005, 02:27 PM
Youre kidding right?

Have you been :gulp:, or did you miss that entire series in NY this week?

Or are you not aware the price Griffey is going to cost, and the risk he comes with?

Im all for adding Griff, no doubt in my mind he will be HUGE for this team....Just not in CF

Aaron Rowand IS our CF, its that simple....

Price and risk are what you are concerned about? See, this is my problem. You HAVE to take risks to win. You can't sit back and say "well, this COULD work out good, but it also could go horribly wrong." WHO CARES! This is the year, this is the year to go for it all. You can't hold back. I didn't expect the reaction to my statement that Griff is better than Rowand in center. First, I love Rowand. He's one of my favorites on the team. However, I've also heard that Griffey is one of the best centerfielders defensively ALL TIME. Of course there is also the option of DH'ing Podsednik and putting Rowand in left. But that isn't very likely.

He gone
08-14-2005, 05:02 PM
ESPN News said Junior cleared waviers :o:

Has any one else heard this? It's not that I don't trust ESPN :cool:

tsamdog
08-14-2005, 05:04 PM

Has any one else heard this? It's not that I don't trust ESPN :cool:

Gammons reported it this morning. Jr. and Sweeney cleared.

FarWestChicago
08-14-2005, 05:05 PM

Has any one else heard this? It's not that I don't trust ESPN :cool:Judging from the existing 7 threads about this subject, I would say yes.

SOX ADDICT '73
08-14-2005, 05:05 PM
Oh, goody - another thread on this subject!

He gone
08-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Judging from the existing 7 threads about this subject, I would say yes.

I just got home from work and I didn't see the other 7 :D:

So I guess it's true.

Chisox003
08-14-2005, 05:22 PM
Thank God!

This, the 27th thread on Griffey clearing, confirms ALL doubts I had of the rumor being true...

The first 20 something threads just dont cut it like they did in the old days, do they?

:rolleyes:

fquaye149
08-14-2005, 07:50 PM
Price and risk are what you are concerned about? See, this is my problem. You HAVE to take risks to win. You can't sit back and say "well, this COULD work out good, but it also could go horribly wrong." WHO CARES! This is the year, this is the year to go for it all. You can't hold back. I didn't expect the reaction to my statement that Griff is better than Rowand in center. First, I love Rowand. He's one of my favorites on the team. However, I've also heard that Griffey is one of the best centerfielders defensively ALL TIME. Of course there is also the option of DH'ing Podsednik and putting Rowand in left. But that isn't very likely.

Griffey would probably be a minimal upgrade in center. Clearly he is a major talent, but Rowand has been establishing himself as an excellent centerfielder. To cut out the legs from under a young guy like this who has given and given to our team and performed in every role imaginable (3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th spot) would be so ridiculous that the marginal (if any) improvement would not be worth it. Plus Griffey's an injury risk. Period. Put him at DH to minimize potential for injury and to keep one of the major components of the best team in baseball in his original defensive position.

Trade for Griff. We need him in the lineup. Put him, however, at DH

MarySwiss
08-14-2005, 08:05 PM
Griffey would probably be a minimal upgrade in center. Clearly he is a major talent, but Rowand has been establishing himself as an excellent centerfielder. To cut out the legs from under a young guy like this who has given and given to our team and performed in every role imaginable (3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th spot) would be so ridiculous that the marginal (if any) improvement would not be worth it. Plus Griffey's an injury risk. Period. Put him at DH to minimize potential for injury and to keep one of the major components of the best team in baseball in his original defensive position.

Uh-oh! It's the end of the world as we know it! I actually AGREE with you, fquaye149! :wink:

Well, sort of. I don't think Jr. is an upgrade at CF--however minimal. Once, but not now. The Sox absolutely do not move Aaron! But adding Griffey as DH is the way to go. Sure, we're going to hear from Dark Cloudsters who think that--goldarnit--if we're gonna pay that guy all that money, he needs to be an everyday position player. Wrong! It's all about winning the World Series, people! Look at Jr. this way; he's standing in for Hurt. And that's all he has to do, IMO!

BRDSR
08-14-2005, 08:06 PM

I agree. The biggest asset that Griffey brings to the table is a powerful lefthanded bat in the middle of the lineup. He also provides some extra flexibility in the outfield which is needed because Pods has been so difficult to get healthy. Griffey would be a huge boost to this team.

Frater Perdurabo
08-14-2005, 08:23 PM
I agree. The biggest asset that Griffey brings to the table is a powerful lefthanded bat in the middle of the lineup. He also provides some extra flexibility in the outfield which is needed because Pods has been so difficult to get healthy. Griffey would be a huge boost to this team.

Agreed. Should the Sox acquire him, Griffey would not supplant Rowand on a regular basis. He might, however, allow Ozzie to give Rowand an infrequent day off or day to DH. Griffey would get the majority of starts at DH, with the other outfielders (Dye, Pods, Rowand) getting occasional starts at DH and Griffey occasionally playing the outfield (like Everett does now).

Like many others have posted, Griffey replaces Everett while Everett replaces Timo. It also keeps Ozuna out of the outfield (which those of us who watched Saturday night's game in Fenway can appreciate). In essence, it upgrades THREE spots on the team: DH, fourth outfielder and fifth outfielder.

Griffey > Everett
Everett > Timo

In the everyday lineup, Griffey would fit perfectly as the #3 hitter to make opposing managers cringe late in games when pondering pitching changes to face the top half of the lineup:

Pods-L, Iguchi-R, Griffey-L, PK-R, AJ-L, Dye-R, Rowand-R, Crede-R, Uribe-R

PaleHoseGeorge
08-14-2005, 08:40 PM
In the everyday lineup, Griffey would fit perfectly as the #3 hitter to make opposing managers cringe late in games when pondering pitching changes to face the top half of the lineup:

Pods-L, Iguchi-R, Griffey-L, PK-R, AJ-L, Dye-R, Rowand-R, Crede-R, Uribe-R

"Frater, you don't know baseball. See, going lefty/righty/lefty is EXACTLY what the other team is expecting. That's why the smart move is to bat Griffey #9... that way you've got him turning over the lineup every 2-3 innings. And Griffey is the perfect sort of guy to come off the bench as a late-inning substitute. That's important in the National League with the pitcher batting... Griffey is almost wasted in the A.L. ..."

:wink:

sircaffey1
08-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Griffey would probably be a minimal upgrade in center.

Griffey would be a clear downgrade in CF. He zone rating is not what it used to be and is far below Aaron's. Moving Aaron from CF would be a huge mistake.

northshoresoxfan
08-14-2005, 09:47 PM
I'm surprised no one has been talking about all the Ken Griffey Rumors. Today ESPN TV and radio mentioned rumors that Griffey has cleared waivers. If that's true, it sounds like a deal is in the works.

Would getting Griffey be a good thing?

While he would provide the offensive spark the team needs, he is not the Griffey of old. And he could potentially cause a line up head ache. I think he could take time away from Everett and Rowand's playing time who are two key components to the offense as it is.

On the other hand we do need help on the offensive front. I think, and a lot of others agree, that we need more offensive strength to get past Boston and get to the world series. Griffey would provide offense we need. And on a public relations note, Griffey would provide a superstar face to the SOX that would garner more national attention. He could bring more people to our cause across the nation. (Gammons mentioned today that he'd love to see Griffey in the post season. So would a lot of other people in the media.)

Will Griffey solve our offensive problems and take us to the next level?
What does everyone think???????

PAPChiSox729
08-14-2005, 09:48 PM
I'm surprised no one has been talking about all the Ken Griffey Rumors. Today ESPN TV and radio mentioned rumors that Griffey has cleared waivers. If that's true, it sounds like a deal is in the works.

While he would provide the offensive spark the team needs, he is not the Griffey of old. And he could potentially cause a line up head ache. I think he could take time away from Everett and Rowand's playing time who are two key components to the offense as it is.

On the other hand we do need help on the offensive front. I think, and a lot of others agree, that we need more offensive strength to get past Boston and get to the world series. Griffey would provide offense we need. And on a public relations note, Griffey would provide a superstar face to the SOX that would garner more national attention. He could bring more people to our cause across the nation. (Gammons mentioned today that he'd love to see Griffey in the post season. So would a lot of other people in the media.)

What does everyone think???????

Are you serious? Have you been to What's the Score AT ALL?? You'll find more than enough answers there.
:cool:

soxfan43
08-14-2005, 10:05 PM
Corey McPherin is reporting griffey cleared waivers today, looks like he's there if kenny wants him

SOX ADDICT '73
08-14-2005, 10:10 PM
Are you serious? Have you been to What's the Score AT ALL?? You'll find more than enough answers there.
:cool:
I wonder what the WSI record is for individual threads merged together. At this rate, there will be six more Griffey threads started before the Reds' moron owner can even nix the deal - again.

LuvSox
08-14-2005, 10:19 PM
Corey McPherin is reporting griffey cleared waivers today, looks like he's there if kenny wants him

Point your eyes up one thread.

LuvSox
08-14-2005, 10:20 PM
I wonder what the WSI record is for individual threads merged together. At this rate, there will be six more Griffey threads started before the Reds' moron owner can even nix the deal - again.

There's another one coming soon........

whitesoxfan
08-14-2005, 10:24 PM
AWESOME! The 15th different thread about this.

SOX ADDICT '73
08-14-2005, 10:26 PM
There's another one coming soon........
Yeah, I spotted it, and had to restrain myself from a teal-drenched post.

Why is it so hard for some people to simply scan the message board for some mention of their topic?

For a example, if I wanted to start a thread about, oh I don't know, Manny Ramirez being a douchebag, I would first look for certain key words, such as "Manny" or "Ramirez" or "douchebag". Having found none of those, I would then be free to begin my thread.

TimoandAaron
08-14-2005, 10:29 PM

What does everyone think???????i dont see those threads either. There are only 240 replies, but nooooooobody has talked about these rumors.

SOX ADDICT '73
08-14-2005, 10:30 PM
i dont see those threads either. There are only 240 replies, but nooooooobody has talked about these rumors.
:tealpolice:

LuvSox
08-14-2005, 10:49 PM
if I wanted to start a thread about, oh I don't know, Manny Ramirez being a douchebag, I would first look for certain key words, such as "Manny" or "Ramirez" or "douchebag". Having found none of those, I would then be free to begin my thread.

:rolling::kneeslap: