PDA

View Full Version : Podsednik out with sore groin

buehrle4cy05
08-13-2005, 07:47 PM
Per Hawk, just said it on the air. I might consider sitting Scotty for a little while, we will need his legs come playoff time.

Unregistered
08-13-2005, 07:53 PM
Per Hawk, just said it on the air. I might consider sitting Scotty for a little while, we will need his legs come playoff time.Agreed - he had groin problems earlier and might have come back sooner than he should have. We can win without him for now - as long as he's getting healed up and ready for the playoffs.

cwsfannick
08-13-2005, 09:45 PM
I have to wonder if he has been playing with this sore groin for the past couple of weeks. Batting average has been down and the caught steals have been up.

TomBradley72
08-13-2005, 09:55 PM
I hope we go the DL route...get him healed up...give a call up from Charlotte or Birmingham a chance for a few weeks.

HotelWhiteSox
08-13-2005, 09:55 PM
Whitesox.com is speculating that a trip to the DL may be needed

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050813&content_id=1169211&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

On the pregame, Ozzie said they were just giving him a rest or a day off

Madvora
08-13-2005, 10:46 PM
Whitesox.com is speculating that a trip to the DL may be needed

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050813&content_id=1169211&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

On the pregame, Ozzie said they were just giving him a rest or a day off
It says this...

Brian Anderson is also a possible callup to temporarily replace Podsednik. But the first-round pick from 2003 is more of a third or fourth hitter, especially with his 106 strikeouts and 43 walks for Triple-A Charlotte. Anderson is hitting .297, with 15 home runs and 54 RBIs.
Crap, that's a lot of strikeouts. That's not good at all. If he's called up, it might be Iguchi in the leadoff spot. I couldn't see Ozzie starting Ozuna every day for 2 weeks.
Pablo Ozuna could fill in for Podsednik, as he did on Saturday, and so could Timo Perez. A logical choice would be Jerry Owens, who is batting .340 over 104 games for Double-A Birmingham, with 32 stolen bases in 48 attempts. Guillen is a little apprehensive, though, of turning to a player in just his third year of professional baseball.

Infallible
08-13-2005, 10:56 PM
I hope we go the DL route...get him healed up...give a call up from Charlotte or Birmingham a chance for a few weeks.

but why? We need him now! Bring him back now when he's not 100% because we need to force the issue!

mdep524
08-13-2005, 10:59 PM
Pablo Ozuna could fill in for Podsednik, as he did on Saturday, and so could Timo Perez. A logical choice would be Jerry Owens, who is batting .340 over 104 games for Double-A Birmingham, with 32 stolen bases in 48 attempts. Guillen is a little apprehensive, though, of turning to a player in just his third year of professional baseball. Wow, I'm surprised the Sox would even consider Owens at all, considering how inexperienced he is. I wouldn't want to rush him, besides Anderson and Borchard have earned the big league promotion.

Infallible
08-13-2005, 11:00 PM
Wow, I'm surprised the Sox would even consider Owens at all, considering how inexperienced he is. I wouldn't want to rush him, besides Anderson and Borchard have earned the big league promotion.

and Timo Perez has earned himself some more minor league demotion.

tsamdog
08-13-2005, 11:08 PM
A groin injury can have lingering effects for weeks. Pods' cross-over step has not been good for a month; consequently his jumps have been mediocre at best. Rest, stretching, and stim treatments ..... I don't think 'a day off' will do him much good.

GiveMeSox
08-13-2005, 11:18 PM
The DL probably sounds like the best bet. It would probably be retroactive considering him its bothered him for some time. Let him rest it now and work it out with Herm while on the Dl and come back fresh in a couple weeks ready to get back in the grove for the playoffs.

flo-B-flo
08-13-2005, 11:42 PM
The DL probably sounds like the best bet. It would probably be retroactive considering him its bothered him for some time. Let him rest it now and work it out with Herm while on the Dl and come back fresh in a couple weeks ready to get back in the grove for the playoffs. Will this be Borchards' last shot?

Unregistered
08-13-2005, 11:43 PM
Will this be Borchards' last shot?
Uch, might as well, I guess... unless he's re-signed, I'm pretty sure this is his last year with the organization.

buehrle4cy05
08-13-2005, 11:50 PM
Uch, might as well, I guess... unless he's re-signed, I'm pretty sure this is his last year with the organization.

He's out of minor league options, so I would say it's likely.

peeonwrigley
08-13-2005, 11:52 PM
The DL probably sounds like the best bet. It would probably be retroactive considering him its bothered him for some time. Let him rest it now and work it out with Herm while on the Dl and come back fresh in a couple weeks ready to get back in the grove for the playoffs.

I think it can only be retroactive to the day after the last game he played. So, they could make it retroactive to today if they decide after a couple days rest he needs to go on the DL.

StockdaleForVeep
08-14-2005, 05:11 AM
When did this "injury" occur

and is this to blame why he has been 50% safe while tryin to steal bases after the break?

MushMouth
08-14-2005, 05:43 AM
Sit our boy pods, let him rest! Playoffs are a long, long 40+ games away.

I have no problem with Borchard or the other kid coming up. Especially since we'll have Griffey soon :smile:

yeah, wishfull thinking

anyway, I just turned 30 tonight and I think some good Sox news would rock, not the red kind either. So sick of my new englander friends killing me on sports talk. I'm both a White Sox and Colts fan, nothing worse. They've been dominating us at football physically, now they just schooled our best two pitchers. All I can say is, playoffs aren't for awhile and I believe in this sox team.

Including tomorrow. Huge game.

ArkanSox
08-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Pablo Ozuna is gonna have to step it up if he wants to play as Pods replacement. I thought Ozzie might pull him mid-inning when he gave up and watched that fly ball land fair for a double in yesterday's game. I agree that we definately need to rest Podsednik until he's back to speed. Get well soon, Pods. :cool:

wassagstdu
08-14-2005, 12:31 PM
The Sox have been a .500 team since Podsednik "went down."

buehrle4cy05
08-14-2005, 12:31 PM
Pablo Ozuna is gonna have to step it up if he wants to play as Pods replacement. I thought Ozzie might pull him mid-inning when he gave up and watched that fly ball land fair for a double in yesterday's game. I agree that we definately need to rest Podsednik until he's back to speed. Get well soon, Pods. :cool:

This is exactly why we need to DL Pods and bring up somebody with outfield experience, whether that be Brian Anderson, Joe Borchard, or even Jerry Owens. Anybody but Timo.

soxwon
08-14-2005, 01:17 PM
time for griffey to become a chisox.

ArkanSox
08-14-2005, 01:52 PM
Well, Griffey cleared waivers. According to some reports, the White Sox are continuing to pursue a trade for him, but his full no-trade rights make that unlikely. If he does leave the Reds, Griffey wants to stay close to his Orlando home for spring training. According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, the Atlanta Braves, Houston Astros and St. Louis Cardinals are all thought to be on his list of preferred destinations. Griffey told the Cincinnati Post: "If the organization feels that they need to make a change with me, then we'll look at it, and I'll make up my mind when and if it happens. It's in my control, but it's not in my control. The only thing I have control over is do I want to go. I have no control over who they talk to and what they talk about."'
I've read that he likes Chicago, so who knows. You know that he wants to play for a winner. He won't come cheaply, and his health's a gamble, but he sure is playing well lately. Junior's a great ball player. I hope we can land him. He would be quite an addition for the Sox.

StockdaleForVeep
08-14-2005, 03:18 PM
Well, Griffey cleared waivers. According to some reports, the White Sox are continuing to pursue a trade for him, but his full no-trade rights make that unlikely. If he does leave the Reds, Griffey wants to stay close to his Orlando home for spring training. According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, the Atlanta Braves, Houston Astros and St. Louis Cardinals are all thought to be on his list of preferred destinations. Griffey told the Cincinnati Post: "If the organization feels that they need to make a change with me, then we'll look at it, and I'll make up my mind when and if it happens. It's in my control, but it's not in my control. The only thing I have control over is do I want to go. I have no control over who they talk to and what they talk about."'
I've read that he likes Chicago, so who knows. You know that he wants to play for a winner. He won't come cheaply, and his health's a gamble, but he sure is playing well lately. Junior's a great ball player. I hope we can land him. He would be quite an addition for the Sox.

Heh, maybe the sox are throwin games to get their record down to win the waiver race

ArkanSox
08-14-2005, 05:30 PM
It was announced yesterday that Griffey cleared waivers, meaning that he was not chosen by any other big-league club. Now any team can try to trade for him. His huge salary and his extended time on the DL over the past few years, make him an expensive gamble for the future, but wouldn't it be nice to see him in a White Sox uniform for the playoffs? I don't think that it's gonna happen, but you never know.

StockdaleForVeep
08-14-2005, 05:41 PM
It was announced yesterday that Griffey cleared waivers, meaning that he was not chosen by any other big-league club. Now any team can try to trade for him. His huge salary and his extended time on the DL over the past few years, make him an expensive gamble for the future, but wouldn't it be nice to see him in a White Sox uniform for the playoffs? I don't think that it's gonna happen, but you never know.

The season he is having is not a gamble, he's been healthy and hittin well.

Unfortunately, any major pickup more than likely confirms thomas' career is over in chicago

Unregistered
08-14-2005, 06:38 PM
The season he is having is not a gamble, he's been healthy and hittin well.

Unfortunately, any major pickup more than likely confirms thomas' career is over in chicago
If you listen to some reports, Thomas' career itself may be over. While that hasn't been confirmed, it seems the Sox need to be proactive regardless.

soxjim
08-14-2005, 08:31 PM
I herd on Comcast sports tonight. That Pods may go on the DL tomorrow. I think this would be a good move let him get the rest he needs.