PDA

View Full Version : MLB Playoff Questions

whitesoxwin
08-13-2005, 12:54 PM
I was talking with a buddy of mine discussing the upcoming MLB playoffs.

One stumbling point came on the first day of the playoffs.

I know the day after the official end of the season is reserved for tie-breaker playoff game(s), if necessary, which would be Monday, Oct. 3rd.

If there are no tie-breaker playoffs necessary, then this would be a rest/travel day.

What day do the playoffs actually begin?

I thought it would be Tuesday, Oct 4th and Wednesday Oct. 4th—two games (one NL & AL) on each day.

MLB doesn't really have anything concrete in place (or I couldn't find it).

The second point is the 5 game Division and 7 game LC/WC series.

How are the series games played?

I thought the 5 game Division series is played 2/2/1 and the 7 game LC/WC series is 2/3/2.

I welcome opinions.

Thanks!

Chips
08-13-2005, 01:04 PM
IHow are the series games played?

I thought the 5 game Division series is played 2/2/1 and the 7 game LCS/WS series is 2/3/2.

I welcome opinions.

Thanks!

You're right, the ALDS/NLDS are 2-2-1 and the ALCS/NLCS/WS are 2/3/2.
I guess the Sox will have to win all the series on the road.

downstairs
08-15-2005, 10:42 AM
I thought it would be Tuesday, Oct 4th and Wednesday Oct. 4th

Yes, they will play on both October Fourths this year.

/smartass, sorry.

:cool:

Fenway
08-15-2005, 10:45 AM
FOX pretty much decides what series begins on Tuesday night as they have their pick of the litter

Recent years the Yankees got the prime time slot

ESPN carries whatever FOX doesn't want but the contract with MLB makes sure the game is on an over the air station in the home markets.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-16-2005, 09:58 PM
Does anyone have a link to the current tie breaker scenarios. The only one the Sox should be concerned with is a possible tie for the number 1 seed in the playoffs. I would like to know if there is a one game playoff if two teams are tied for the #1 seed (or #2 seed among division winners). I know there is a 1 game playoff (or more if more than 2 teams tie) for the wild card or if division winners tied for a seed revert to head to head record (which in this case the White Sox lose out to the Red Sox even if they play a make up game after the season).

Thanks

ChiSoxRowand
08-16-2005, 11:29 PM
Does anyone have a link to the current tie breaker scenarios. The only one the Sox should be concerned with is a possible tie for the number 1 seed in the playoffs. I would like to know if there is a one game playoff if two teams are tied for the #1 seed (or #2 seed among division winners). I know there is a 1 game playoff (or more if more than 2 teams tie) for the wild card or if division winners tied for a seed revert to head to head record (which in this case the White Sox lose out to the Red Sox even if they play a make up game after the season).

Thanks

There is no tie breaker for #1 seed. Team with the head to head advantage gets it.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-16-2005, 11:42 PM
There is no tie breaker for #1 seed. Team with the head to head advantage gets it.

So this means if the Sox are either tied or if Boston is 1 game back of Chicago they would replay the Sunday rain out game. If Chicago is 1 game back even if Chicago won the replay they would be tied and lose the tie breaker as Boston would have won the season series 4-3.

Hope the White Sox finish 2 games + over Boston. Would like to face Anaheim (Wild Card) and let Boston & Oakland beat each others brains out. Both teams looked pretty good against us but we have the pitching to keep it close and the bats will need to come through.

Thanks - I can't find this info on the MLB.com site and hope you are correct regarding the seeding. I know if a team is tied for the division lead or tied for the wild card they would have a play in game. I didn't know if that was the case with the seeding scenarios between teams already clinching a birth.

ChiSoxRowand
08-17-2005, 03:44 PM
So this means if the Sox are either tied or if Boston is 1 game back of Chicago they would replay the Sunday rain out game. If Chicago is 1 game back even if Chicago won the replay they would be tied and lose the tie breaker as Boston would have won the season series 4-3.

Hope the White Sox finish 2 games + over Boston. Would like to face Anaheim (Wild Card) and let Boston & Oakland beat each others brains out. Both teams looked pretty good against us but we have the pitching to keep it close and the bats will need to come through.

Thanks - I can't find this info on the MLB.com site and hope you are correct regarding the seeding. I know if a team is tied for the division lead or tied for the wild card they would have a play in game. I didn't know if that was the case with the seeding scenarios between teams already clinching a birth.

I thought they were gonna make up that game in a couple of weeks or so? But you're right, if the Sox and Boston are tied or Boston is a game back and they haven't made up the game yet, they would play the game on the day after the regular season ends(mon), which would suck ass.

chisoxmike
08-17-2005, 11:59 PM
The ALDS ticket order form says the ALDS will be played Oct 4 - Oct 10.
I assume...

Game 1- Oct 4
Game 2- Oct 5

Game 3- Oct 7
Game 4- Oct 8

Game 5- Oct 10

ChiSoxRowand
08-18-2005, 03:04 PM
The ALDS ticket order form says the ALDS will be played Oct 4 - Oct 10.
I assume...

Game 1- Oct 4
Game 2- Oct 5

Game 3- Oct 7
Game 4- Oct 8

Game 5- Oct 10

There will be an off day between games 2 and 3. There is also one series each year that starts on wednesday and one that starts on tuesday with an extra off day between games 1 and 2. We will get one of those this year because the NL had that schedule last year and it rotates.

SoxinAZ
08-23-2005, 03:21 PM
I think it all depends on which reality show Fox has on that night.