PDA

View Full Version : *Official* The Psychos are out in Force Post Game Thread

Viva Medias B's
08-12-2005, 10:08 PM
I liked the comeback in the ninth. As Hawk said, those walks in the previous half-inning really killed us.

C'monstretch
08-12-2005, 10:08 PM
my rally cap goes off to you guys.

johnny_mostil
08-12-2005, 10:09 PM
I liked the comeback in the ninth. As Hawk said, those walks in the previous half-inning really killed us.

I'd say David Ortiz personally killed us.

Argalarga
08-12-2005, 10:09 PM
I like that the offense got back on track. And MB is rarely that shaky, so I'm not too worried.

JB98
08-12-2005, 10:10 PM

A comeback doesn't do any good if you don't complete it. The moral of the story is, if you get a lead, don't sit on it. Keep scoring. It's hard to shut the Red Sox down, especially at Fenway. Our offense did not do much throughout the middle innings, and it came back to bite us.

Unregistered
08-12-2005, 10:12 PM
It's one of those Murphy's Law type of things. If we were down 6-5 in the 9th, we probably would have gone down 1-2-3.

NBD - we'll get 'em tommorrow.

Frankfan4life
If Tampa Bay can hold off the Jndians, we'll get another tick off the magic number at least.

I hope Garland is on his game tomorrow. He usually is after a Buehrle loss.

C'monstretch
I hate to say it but David Ortiz owned sox pitching today. 4 for 5. 6 ribbies. The guys a monster and thats not Mark or bobbys fault! My PG thread title was better but oh well... lets git em Garland!

Frankfan4life
It's one of those Murphy's Law type of things. If we were down 6-5 in the 9th, we probably would have gone down 1-2-3.

NBD - we'll get 'em tommorrow.Good thought. But, we'll never know.

TimoandAaron
08-12-2005, 10:13 PM
How come every time the sox are losing by 1 or 2 in the bottom of the 8th, they give up a ****load of runs. Then they score just enough to still lose the game in the top of the 9th?

LongLiveFisk
:angry:

Man was that frustrating. I know you can't win them all but it sucks to have a 4-0 lead and still lose.

Unregistered
A comeback doesn't do any good if you don't complete it. The moral of the story is, if you get a lead, don't sit on it. Keep scoring. It's hard to shut the Red Sox down, especially at Fenway. Our offense did not do much throughout the middle innings, and it came back to bite us.And you can't let that offense get a second chance - there were a couple plays tonight that did just that and they took advantage.

WhiteSox16K
Oh well, if you tell me we'd scored 8 runs with Buehrle pitching , I say that it's a win for sure. David Ortiz is good - hats off to him - he dominated the guys tonight. I guess they'll have to go get 'em tommorow and make it even.

The offense and timely hitting was there tonight, eh can't be toooo upset. I just wish Jenks could've AT LEAST kept Ortiz in the park, but that ball was smashed.

Heffalump
08-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Damn walks and errors kick our asses again.

DaleJRFan
08-12-2005, 10:15 PM
If we were down 6-5 in the 9th, we probably would have gone down 1-2-3.

No way. Shilling SUCKS. Too bad though, was fun to watch the could-be come back. Whatever. Sox lost the opener in Yankee Statium. GO get em 2 out of 3 this weekend, guys...

JB98
08-12-2005, 10:16 PM
And you can't let that offense get a second chance - there were a couple plays tonight that did just that and they took advantage.

Good point. Walks and errors are poison against that team. For whatever reason, we haven't done the best job of throwing strikes and catching the ball in our matchups with Boston.

Indians lose. Magic number is now 36.

Jerko
08-12-2005, 10:16 PM
Captain Obvious here. You can not walk players in front of Ortiz or Ramirez. Period. And somebody has to get Renteria below .800 against us this year. And the Red Sox are meat if Schilling rejoins the rotation IMO.

PeteWard
08-12-2005, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=Frankfan4life]If Tampa Bay can hold off the Jndians, we'll get another tick off the magic number at least.

IQUOTE]

They are rallying in the 9th. I hope Tampa dosn't pull a KC here:angry:

MRKARNO
08-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Ortiz beat us singlehandedly. He's really really good and I give him a ton of credit.

That being said, I was extremely dissapointed with Buehrle's effort today. After being given a four run lead in the second, he completely failed to get the job done. Carl Extended the lead to 5-3 and he promptly allowed a HR. I am usually the one sitting here apologizing for Buehrle and making excuses why he didnt get the job done, but tonight was just bad, especially considering his last outing against this team. It is disturbing that a large percentage of his worst outings have come against Oakland (three times) and Boston, two of our probable playoff opponents. That doesnt give me confidence that he can get the job done in a short series. I dont know what the problem is with him against these two teams, but he hasnt looked like the same pitcher against this team compared to all other teams.

Again, with that being said, we had a chance to win and we didnt. I really dont blame Jenks all that much, but I hope he learned why they tell you not to walk the two hitter, especially before a big bat like Oritz. Vizcaino shares a lot of the blame with his 6 pitch walk after going 0-2.

The positive side is the offense. We proved that we can hit with this team and that was a big question that many had, so there's definitely a bright side to this. Schilling aint got nothing on this team and it's good to see that we're doing well against the top AL East closers. It also shows the resiliancy of this team that they were able to put the tying run at the plate in a seemingly hopeless situation. Kudos to the offense.

The errors also killed us again. It seems like we rarely win when we make bad errors like we did, whether or not they lead to runs. I've said it before, when you play so many close games like we do, there is no room for errors, especially when your pitchers are so dependent on the defense.

The one thing that really bothered me today was Buehrle's effort, but overall, I'm not too worried. We scored about as many runs today as we did in the past week. That isn't a bad thing, any way you slice it.

C'monstretch
08-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Damn walks and errors kick our asses again.
That duck snort over paulies head was deffinatly a 2nd basemens catch. Paul shoula stuck to 1st and gooch makes the play. And Joe Joe. Crede, Crede, Crede.... i thought the wind was only a bitch in Chi but i guess Beantown has a fierce Atlantic cross wind.... screw the errors. i think its safe to say Ortiz is not human.

Frankfan4life
08-12-2005, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE=Frankfan4life]If Tampa Bay can hold off the Jndians, we'll get another tick off the magic number at least.

IQUOTE]

They are rallying in the 9th. I hope Tampa dosn't pull a KC here:angry:Magic Number 36. The Jndians finally lose one. Whew! That was close. Thank goodness Tampa Bay is not quite as bad as KC.

soxwon
im very disapointed- we are not the team we WERE

blowing a 4-0 lead... not good.

Unregistered
I hate to say it but David Ortiz owned sox pitching today. 4 for 5. 6 ribbies. The guys a monster and thats not Mark or bobbys fault! My PG thread title was better but oh well... lets git em Garland!
Yeah, I think the key to winning this series is pitching around Ortiz.

On the plus side, the last 2 series we played we lost the first game and won the next two.

Let the trend CONTINUE! :gulp:

FarWestChicago
08-12-2005, 10:21 PM
That being said, I was extremely dissapointed with Buehrle's effort today. After being given a four run lead in the second, he completely failed to get the job done. Carl Extended the lead to 5-3 and he promptly allowed a HR. I am usually the one sitting here apologizing for Buehrle and making excuses why he didnt get the job done, but tonight was just bad, especially considering his last outing against this team. It is disturbing that a large percentage of his worst outings have come against Oakland (three times) and Boston, two of our probable playoff opponents. That doesnt give me confidence that he can get the job done in a short series. I dont know what the problem is with him against these two teams, but he hasnt looked like the same pitcher against this team compared to all other teams.You're right. He's a bum!! Cut him!!

:darkcloud:

RSN33
08-12-2005, 10:21 PM
I hope Garland is on his game tomorrow. He usually is after a Buehrle loss.

He's totally got that "stopper" mentality about him. He'll make things extremely difficult on Boston tomorrow to say the least. Hey - if he does as he's done all year, he's got a great chance to bust up the Red Sox home win streak of 12 in a row. It's gotta end sometime. Garland is a quality starter to do it.

These teams have alternated wins all year thus far and they've all been exciting. I'm sure tomorrow and Sunday will be no different. Here's to great baseball and perhaps a prelude to October.

Cheers!:gulp:

FarWestChicago
08-12-2005, 10:22 PM
im very disapointed- we are not the team we WEREYep, the season is over!!

:darkclouds:

C'monstretch
:indianslose

MRKARNO
You're right. He's a bum!! Cut him!!

I'd much prefer McCarthy.

shoota
That duck snort over paulies head was deffinatly a 2nd basemens catch. Paul shoula stuck to 1st and gooch makes the play. And Joe Joe. Crede, Crede, Crede.... i thought the wind was only a bitch in Chi but i guess Beantown has a fierce Atlantic cross wind.... screw the errors. i think its safe to say Ortiz is not human.

Costly play right there. Notch up another unofficial error in the scorebook. Gold Glovers don't drop a popup, let alone two.

chisoxt
08-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Ortiz beat us singlehandedly. He's really really good and I give him a ton of credit.

That being said, I was extremely dissapointed with Buehrle's effort today. After being given a four run lead in the second, he completely failed to get the job done. Carl Extended the lead to 5-3 and he promptly allowed a HR. I am usually the one sitting here apologizing for Buehrle and making excuses why he didnt get the job done, but tonight was just bad, especially considering his last outing against this team. It is disturbing that a large percentage of his worst outings have come against Oakland (three times) and Boston, two of our probable playoff opponents. That doesnt give me confidence that he can get the job done in a short series. I dont know what the problem is with him against these two teams, but he hasnt looked like the same pitcher against this team compared to all other teams.

Again, with that being said, we had a chance to win and we didnt. I really dont blame Jenks all that much, but I hope he learned why they tell you not to walk the two hitter, especially before a big bat like Oritz. Vizcaino shares a lot of the blame with his walk after going 0-2.

My sentiments exactly re: Beuhrle. It really disturbed me to see Ortiz totally dominate him.

As far as Jenks' effort...maybe this will quell the notion that that this guy can close. Keep in mind, he has not been coming into a lot of game situations.

FarWestChicago
08-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Costly play right there. Notch up another unofficial error in the scorebook. Gold Glovers don't drop a popup, let alone two.It's nice to see your psychotic obsession is still in full bloom. :redneck

WhiteSox16K
08-12-2005, 10:24 PM

With the type of guy he seems to be, I'm sure he is too.

PeteWard
Not that worried about the Indians but with their schedule I was a tiny bit concerned that they were starting to play in a zone. And that could mean a lot of Ws if it's against bad teams. They have KC at home next and even more with TB in Sept. but I think the lead is too big and Sox pitching too good. Also looking for 4 or 5 of 6 in our next homestand which should really signal the beginning of the end for the Central race.

FarWestChicago
As far as Jenks' effort...maybe this will quell the notion that that this guy can close. Keep in mind, he has not been coming into a lot of game situations.That's right. No closer has ever given up a homer to a top tier hitter!!

Unregistered
08-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Costly play right there. Notch up another unofficial error in the scorebook.
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3139

C'monstretch
08-12-2005, 10:26 PM
http://tinypic.com/ae5zb7.jpg

Frankfan4life
08-12-2005, 10:27 PM
He's totally got that "stopper" mentality about him. He'll make things extremely difficult on Boston tomorrow to say the least. Hey - if he does as he's done all year, he's got a great chance to bust up the Red Sox home win streak of 12 in a row. It's gotta end sometime. Garland is a quality starter to do it.

These teams have alternated wins all year thus far and they've all been exciting. I'm sure tomorrow and Sunday will be no different. Here's to great baseball and perhaps a prelude to October.

Cheers!:gulp:The Red Sox are tough. I have to give them credit. they didn't look real good early in the season but they are getting stronger. Unfortunately, the Sox offense had me more worried today than the pitching. Since the Red Sox offense is so potent, our pitching has got to be a lot better. Here's to a good game tomorrow! :gulp:

Jerko
08-12-2005, 10:28 PM
It's hard to pitch around Ortiz with Ramirez behind him. It's REALLY hard to pitch around him with 2 guys already on base. I'm just glad he's not still on the Twins.

PeteWard
08-12-2005, 10:29 PM
That's right. No closer has ever given up a homer to a top tier hitter!!

Yeah and Torre needs to sit Rivera for giving up that triple to Uribe. What a bum!

MRKARNO
08-12-2005, 10:29 PM

:keith

"Nope."

C'monstretch
08-12-2005, 10:31 PM
It's hard to pitch around Ortiz with Ramirez behind him. It's REALLY hard to pitch around him with 2 guys already on base. I'm just glad he's not still on the Twins.AGREED

ilsox7
08-12-2005, 10:35 PM
I really need to invent a fast forward button for life. These games don't mean jack. As long as we clinch (and it's about 99.9% we do) nothing that happens now (barring injuries) has any bearing on October. When October rolls around, everyone starts from a clean slate.

Vernam
08-12-2005, 10:37 PM
It's hard to pitch around Ortiz with Ramirez behind him. It's REALLY hard to pitch around him with 2 guys already on base. I'm just glad he's not still on the Twins.Actually, since we'll probably need to go through Boston to reach the Series, I wish he were still on the Twins. :wink: Whether we'd still be 16 games ahead of them is definitely debatable!

Re: the game, yeah, it was a disappointing loss. But Boston knows they'll be in for a battle against us in the post-season. Bullpen walks are looking to be our Achilles heel, though.

VC

samram
08-12-2005, 10:38 PM

:keith
"Heck, they don't even have to be top tier. Denny Hocking will do just fine!"

BanditJimmy
08-12-2005, 10:38 PM
I just pulled up the stats for Buehrle vs our 4 potential 1st round play-off opponents, result is not pretty:

We cannot play the Indians in the 1st round because they are from our division, therefore the only possible opponents would be the BoSox, Angels, Oakland, & Yankees. He has not pitched versus the Yankees yet…

Games: ====7

Record:==== 0-3
ERA: =====4.71
Innings: ====49 2/3

Hits:=======66

ER:========26

BB:========15
Ks:=========21
HRs:========5

illinibk
08-12-2005, 10:39 PM
:chickenlittle

chisoxt
08-12-2005, 10:40 PM
I just pulled up the stats for Buehrle vs our 4 potential 1st round play-off opponents, result is not pretty:

We cannot play the Indians in the 1st round because they are from our division, therefore the only possible opponents would be the BoSox, Angels, Oakland, & Yankees. He has not pitched versus the Yankees yet…

You are about to be punished. Prepare for the consequences.

samram
08-12-2005, 10:41 PM
I really need to invent a fast forward button for life. These games don't mean jack. As long as we clinch (and it's about 99.9% we do) nothing that happens now (barring injuries) has any bearing on October. When October rolls around, everyone starts from a clean slate.

Yeah, I keep telling myself the same thing. Things annoy me, but then I remember that other teams are really in must win situations and the Sox aren't.

I was encouraged by Pods tonight. He looked like he was hitting the ball with some authority.

ilsox7
08-12-2005, 10:42 PM
Yeah, I keep telling myself the same thing. Things annoy me, but then I remember that other teams are really in must win situations and the Sox aren't.

I was encouraged by Pods tonight. He looked like he was hitting the ball with some authority.

Yea, Pods seems to be getting his swing back. And I know the Sox are trying their best and giving a full effort, but the bottom line is that when you basically have the division wrapped up and everyone else is playing for hteir lives, that is a HUGE intangible going against you. This happens in October and I am a little pissed. It's August. Life is good. Let's wait til mid-October when it's 45 degrees on a Boston evening to bitch and moan.

Viva Medias B's
08-12-2005, 10:43 PM
I didn't like how we played tonight, but with the lead we have in the division, I'm not worried. I think most of us are more bummed over Rex Grossman being out for the year.

FarWestChicago
08-12-2005, 10:44 PM

Yea, Pods seems to be getting his swing back. And I know the Sox are trying their best and giving a full effort, but the bottom line is that when you basically have the division wrapped up and everyone else is playing for hteir lives, that is a HUGE intangible going against you. This happens in October and I am a little pissed. It's August. Life is good. Let's wait til mid-October when it's 45 degrees on a Boston evening to bitch and moan.What's this? Rational thought is a post game thread after a loss. You guys are going to give this place a bad name. :redneck

RSN33
08-12-2005, 10:46 PM

Couldn't agree more.

There's no "measuring stick" right now, either way. One team could sweep the other this series and then be swept away in October. It's just that simple.

However, it does provide an entertaining twist to the "dog days" of summer, huh? :D:

I have to admit that as a RS fan, I get the same feeling when Iguchi is batting that I got whenever Bernie Williams (in his prime)/Hideki Matsui (currently) hit for the MFYs; here comes a hit.

A player like that is totally priceless come playoff time. He hit a couple clutch homers for you guys at games I've been at this year so far.

BanditJimmy
08-12-2005, 10:47 PM
You are about to be punished. Prepare for the consequences.

Punished for what?

Those numbers don't lie. I stated in the game thread that I would hesitate to start him game 1 of the play-offs vs Oakland or Boston.

A solid outing by Garland tomorrow, he becomes my lock the rest of the year.

soxwon
08-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Yep, the season is over!!

:darkclouds:
not by anymeans- finnished
but we have to step it up a few notches.

Chisox003
08-12-2005, 10:48 PM

:rolleyes:

ilsox7
08-12-2005, 10:51 PM
Couldn't agree more.

There's no "measuring stick" right now, either way. One team could sweep the other this series and then be swept away in October. It's just that simple.

However, it does provide an entertaining twist to the "dog days" of summer, huh? :D:

I have to admit that as a RS fan, I get the same feeling when Iguchi is batting that I got whenever Bernie Williams (in his prime)/Hideki Matsui (currently) hit for the MFYs; here comes a hit.

A player like that is totally priceless come playoff time. He hit a couple clutch homers for you guys at games I've been at this year so far.

As HUGE of a baseball fan as I am, August baseball has to be the worst month. You are either just sitting back and waiting for October...or trying to tread water until the September Pennant races come around. And I think a lot of people highly discount what the weather will be like come October. We most likely will have home field, meaning that a majority of the games are played in April-like conditons. As a White Sox fan, I take lots of comfort knowing how this team played in chilly, crappy weather.

ilsox7
08-12-2005, 10:52 PM

Trivia question:

When was the last time a team won the World Series in August?

This team will either step it up or falter in October, not August.

chisoxt
08-12-2005, 10:52 PM
Punished for what?

Those numbers don't lie. I stated in the game thread that I would hesitate to start him game 1 of the play-offs vs Oakland or Boston.

A solid outing by Garland tomorrow, he becomes my lock the rest of the year.

Punished for raising a valid point. Garland already is my lock. He has faired better than Mark in big games this year.

MRKARNO
08-12-2005, 10:53 PM
I stated in the game thread that I would hesitate to start him game 1 of the play-offs vs Oakland or Boston.

I woulda also hesitate start him in game one....

But I would start him in game two to have it so that he is set up to pitch Game Five if we need it or Game One of the ALCS. As dissapointing as tonight was, there's no pitcher on our team I'd trust more with game five than Mark Buehrle. Game 5 of the ALDS with Buerhrle on the mound versus Chokeland? You couldn't ask for any better game five ALDS situation. They've gone to game fives in 4 straight years (2000-2003) and lost ALL of them. Also, he's been better at home and that would maximize his home playoff starts. Garland has been pretty consistant all year long and has been as good at home as on the road, so it would make sense to put him in the position to start a home and a road game.

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2005, 10:54 PM
I was wondering how long before those obsessing over playing the A's in the playoffs would begin fretting over playing the Red Sox. I see I'm already too late. Can we arrange to play the Royals in the playoffs?

FarWestChicago
08-12-2005, 10:55 PM
I was wondering how long before those obsessing over playing the A's in the playoffs would begin fretting over playing the Red Sox. I see I'm already too late. Can we arrange to play the Royals in the playoffs?LOL, oh, I'm sure they would still find something to freak out about. You gotta love the Dark Clouds. They are consistent. :redneck

Jerko
08-12-2005, 10:55 PM
I was wondering how long before those obsessing over playing the A's in the playoffs would begin fretting over playing the Red Sox. I see I'm already too late. Can we arrange to play the Royals in the playoffs?

The heck with that; we need a bye!

RSN33
08-12-2005, 10:56 PM
As HUGE of a baseball fan as I am, August baseball has to be the worst month. You are either just sitting back and waiting for October...or trying to tread water until the September Pennant races come around. And I think a lot of people highly discount what the weather will be like come October. We most likely will have home field, meaning that a majority of the games are played in April-like conditons. As a White Sox fan, I take lots of comfort knowing how this team played in chilly, crappy weather.

Yup. Those variables that you never consider "stats" for always come into play. Boston had the same situation last year; games 4-5 of the ALCS and 1-2 of the WS were played in 40 degree (and below) weather. Cold weather ability completely becomes a necessity, especially for pitchers.

I've followed baseball for years as well and I HATE August. Too early to get excited or too late to make a serious run (in most cases) if your team is back 7 or so games.

Tell ya one thing, Comiskey could be even more of an advantage climate-wise to the home team than any advantage gained in front of home fans - ESPECIALLY if playing Oakland!

ilsox7
08-12-2005, 10:57 PM

You mean all of the teams in the playoffs are good (except for the Padres)? How can this be?

Mr. White Sox
08-12-2005, 10:58 PM
Costly play right there. Notch up another unofficial error in the scorebook. Gold Glovers don't drop a popup, let alone two.

You know, I usually don't agree with you on matters concerning Joe Crede, but if you're going to hit .243 and not be near-perfect on defense...well, let's just say Joe needs to learn how to catch pop-ups, as his errors (his few errors) have absolutely killed the sox.

Anti-nanas go to:
Joe Crede, Luis Vizcaino, Bobby Jenks (mini-anti-nana; he's a rookie and he'll learn), and Ozzie :o:, who I usually don't criticize, but Cotts really shouldn't be used as a 0.1IP lefty specialist. If you bring him in, use him for 0.2-1.0 innings; he's got a 2.06 ERA for a reason, and that reason is not pitching to only left-handers.

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2005, 11:00 PM
You know, I usually don't agree with you on matters concerning Joe Crede, but if you're going to hit .243 and not be near-perfect on defense...well, let's just say Joe needs to learn how to catch pop-ups, as his errors (his few errors) have absolutely killed the sox.

Anti-nanas go to:
Joe Crede, Luis Vizcaino, Bobby Jenks (mini-anti-nana; he's a rookie and he'll learn), and Ozzie :o:, who I usually don't criticize, but Cotts really shouldn't be used as a 0.1IP lefty specialist. If you bring him in, use him for 0.2-1.0 innings; he's got a 2.06 ERA for a reason, and that reason is not pitching to only left-handers.If you guys are looking for players with ZERO errors, you're going to find it pretty hard to fill out a 25-man roster.

Mr. White Sox
08-12-2005, 11:01 PM
If you guys are looking for players with ZERO errors, you're going to find it pretty hard to fill out a 25-man roster.

That's very true, but it just seems that every error that Crede commits is a big one. Two dropped pop-ups, and both led to a big run? :(:
Besides, if he's a defensive "specialist", he's got to learn how to catch popups. Juan Uribe seems to do just fine with them.

pczarapa
08-12-2005, 11:02 PM
Yup. Those variables that you never consider "stats" for always come into play. Boston had the same situation last year; games 4-5 of the ALCS and 1-2 of the WS were played in 40 degree (and below) weather. Cold weather ability completely becomes a necessity, especially for pitchers.

I've followed baseball for years as well and I HATE August. Too early to get excited or too late to make a serious run (in most cases) if your team is back 7 or so games.

Tell ya one thing, Comiskey could be even more of an advantage climate-wise to the home team than any advantage gained in front of home fans - ESPECIALLY if playing Oakland!

I pray we don't play Oakland, it won't matter if it's a blizzard

MRKARNO
08-12-2005, 11:03 PM

They're unbeatable. Especially in the ALDS

Argalarga
08-12-2005, 11:03 PM

I do find the numbers against Oakland worrysome. He's pitched against them three times and gotten whacked all three. A lot of unearned runs, but still...

RSN33
08-12-2005, 11:04 PM
That's very true, but it just seems that every error that Crede commits is a big one. Two dropped pop-ups, and both led to a big run? :(:
Besides, if he's a defensive "specialist", he's got to learn how to catch popups. Juan Uribe seems to do just fine with them.

Unfortunate for you guys, but true. Manny then Kapler seezed the day from his dropped foul balls.

However, Crede has made outstanding plays all year that have likely saved more than those two mistakes allowed.

(If anyone with a great memory cares to do the math involved)

He's a good one. Defensively, one of the best. Sure he makes some mistakes, but I'm willing to guarantee he'll make a defensive play in the playoffs that saves (or close to) a game for them when it matters.

balke
08-12-2005, 11:04 PM
I hate that the biggest errors from our team seem to come in a Buehrle start, and if not... then a Garland start (Or so it seems). But, what I really hate is Buehrle lets it kill him every single time. He was pretty much cruising til the dropped pop-up.

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2005, 11:06 PM
Besides, if he's a defensive "specialist", he's got to learn how to catch popups. Juan Uribe seems to do just fine with them.Sorry, but that's easily the dumbest thing I've heard today. FYI, Uribe has made 12 errors this season. Tonight was Crede's 8th. Or maybe you're talking about the "error" he committed when Hermanson threw the ball 5 feet behind him and he missed it. Or the "error" in Minnesota where he tipped the ball and Uribe couldn't get it.

Vernam
08-12-2005, 11:07 PM
That's very true, but it just seems that every error that Crede commits is a big one. Two dropped pop-ups, and both led to a big run? :(:The solution is clearly for Joe to make more errors, so the ratio of important-to-unimportant ones goes down. I'm more worried about Tadahito's ability to catch pop-ups, actually.

VC

RSN33
08-12-2005, 11:08 PM

Oakland's track record after the AS break the last 4 years is just not human.

Nobody truthfully *wants* to play anyone come playoff time. Of course certain teams matchup better with others.

Argalarga
08-12-2005, 11:08 PM
I hate that the biggest errors from our team seem to come in a Buehrle start, and if not... then a Garland start (Or so it seems). But, what I really hate is Buehrle lets it kill him every single time. He was pretty much cruising til the dropped pop-up.

Actually, JG is pretty good about pitching around errors...just 3 unearned runs, as opposed to 13 from MB.

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2005, 11:13 PM
I do find the numbers against Oakland worrysome. He's pitched against them three times and gotten whacked all three. A lot of unearned runs, but still...Maybe Buehrle shouldn't even be on the playoff roster. Is it too late to trade for Randy Johnson?

gobears1987
08-12-2005, 11:15 PM
:darkcloud::darkclouds:
DANGER DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!!

balke
08-12-2005, 11:23 PM
Actually, JG is pretty good about pitching around errors...just 3 unearned runs, as opposed to 13 from MB.

Yeah, they seem to error for Jon when he's out of the game, but it doesn't happen nearly as often as it does to Mark. Mark really needs to get over it after an error, its just one more out, it really seems to get to him.

For the record I'm not worried about him at all, its ridiculous to get upset with someone who's pretty much the MVP of this team. If anything, this might be good experience, and something he'll be aware of for the playoffs. Like, hey Boston hits left-handers really well... and I'm a lefty, gotta be more perfect when pitching to them.

MRKARNO
08-12-2005, 11:24 PM
Oakland's track record after the AS break the last 4 years is just not human.

The byproduct? Their second half runs end once October rolls around. I'm not sure that this one is going to get them all the way through, considering their awful start and the fact that it took them so much just to get where they are right now. If we do face them, I'll be looking forward to the sweet payback that they will receive for all the crap we took from them the past five years. I could honestly care less that they're the only team that swept us when we started Buehrle, Garland and Garcia in succession. Another healthy dose of the new big three should be more than enough to carry us past Chokeland.

ilsox7
08-12-2005, 11:26 PM
The byproduct? Their second half runs end once October rolls around. I'm not sure that this one is going to get them all the way through, considering their awful start and the fact that it took them so much just to get where they are right now. If we do face them, I'll be looking forward to the sweet payback that they will receive for all the crap we took from them the past five years. I could honestly care less that they're the only team that swept us when we started Buehrle, Garland and Garcia in succession. Another healthy dose of the new big three should be more than enough to carry us past Chokeland.

Their runs are similar to an NBA team coming back from 20 down to tie or take a small lead, then running out of gas and losing in the end. Oakland puts themselves in such an awful position that it takes every ounce of energy over 90 games to comeback, that in the end, they are dead.

balke
08-12-2005, 11:27 PM

I can't believe they won those 2 games against the Angels. Now teams are just giving them wins, its ridiculous.

RSN33
08-12-2005, 11:29 PM
Their runs are similar to an NBA team coming back from 20 down to tie or take a small lead, then running out of gas and losing in the end. Oakland puts themselves in such an awful position that it takes every ounce of energy over 90 games to comeback, that in the end, they are dead.

Absolutely. When they went up 2-0 vs. Boston in '03 in the ALDS, they were spent by game 3. Even though game 5 was down-to-the-wire, their pitchers were hardly as effective as they were in the first 2 games.

Remember, they haven't locked anything up yet either. Anaheim always plays well when it matters for a division and Cleveland has a nice section of schedule to finish the year.

A LOT can still happen here.

ilsox7
08-12-2005, 11:30 PM
Absolutely. When they went up 2-0 vs. Boston in '03 in the ALDS, they were spent by game 3. Even though game 5 was down-to-the-wire, their pitchers were hardly as effective as they were in the first 2 games.

Remember, they haven't locked anything up yet either. Anaheim always plays well when it matters for a division and Cleveland has a nice section of schedule to finish the year.

A LOT can still happen here.

Yep. And as we said earlier in the thread, wait til September b/c those teams will have to step it up ANOTHER notch.

RSN33
08-12-2005, 11:32 PM
I can't believe they won those 2 games against the Angels. Now teams are just giving them wins, its ridiculous.

Especially after the Halos hammered Harden in the first game. Oakland has a great record at home, but even still, LAA literally gave away their two losses.

infohawk
08-12-2005, 11:33 PM

Really! Imagine trying to see the ball amidst both the snow AND the white shoes!!!:tongue:

SOXSINCE'70
08-12-2005, 11:44 PM
I'd say David Ortiz personally killed us.

If Manny doesn't get you,Ortiz will.IMO,they are the deadliest 3-4
hitters in the A.L.,if not in MLB.

Oh yeah,I almost forgot:

:indianslose :bandance: :bandance:

Guess the magic # is 37.I may be wrong.Forgive me.

infohawk
08-12-2005, 11:46 PM
Nobody truthfully *wants* to play anyone come playoff time. Of course certain teams matchup better with others.

Thing is, everything can change in the blink of an eye in the playoffs, regardless of matchups. Teams can get hot or cold very suddenly. I wonder how many Red Sox fans figured the Red Sox were done after losing the first three games to the Yankees last year. I think Oakland had a two game lead in a best of five series more than once and lost. The Cubs had the Marlins up against the ropes in 2003 and it all fell apart. (Hee Hee!).

Things might have been different for the Sox in 2000 if they entered the playoffs as hot as they were when they went on that summer road trip and took seven straight from the Yankees and Indians. Instead, the Sox were stone-cold in the playoffs, the aformentioned hot streak a distant memory. They weren't hot when it mattered. The Yankees were, though, and won the World Series even though we owned them at Yankee Stadium earlier in the season.

Too me, the real question is, "Will the Sox be able to shut down the likes of Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz and Edgar Renteria (or whomever) when it REALLY matters?" Stay tuned.

RSN33
Yep. And as we said earlier in the thread, wait til September b/c those teams will have to step it up ANOTHER notch.

Precisely.

Those playoffs, man. In any sport, the winning team always finds that higher gear when it matters. Most times, even above and beyond the higher gear brought forth by the opposition.

:kermit
My apologies, cuz there's absolutely no need for this -- I just couldn't stop laughing when I saw it!

SOXSINCE'70
Maybe Buehrle shouldn't even be on the playoff roster. Is it too late to trade for Randy Johnson?

Can we coax Billy Pierce out of retirement?? He never pitched in the '59
Series.Here's the Sox' chance to make it up to him.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mr. White Sox
08-12-2005, 11:48 PM
Sorry, but that's easily the dumbest thing I've heard today. FYI, Uribe has made 12 errors this season. Tonight was Crede's 8th. Or maybe you're talking about the "error" he committed when Hermanson threw the ball 5 feet behind him and he missed it. Or the "error" in Minnesota where he tipped the ball and Uribe couldn't get it.

Both players have a Fielding % of .973 . Today's error was not ruled an error, and I'm not going to delve into the shoota scorebook and deem this an "error" and lower his FPCT accordingly. I'm also not going to talk about which errors have meant more than others, because I can't remember Uribe's specific errors and I don't know if they were costly or not. What I do know is that both are paid to be defensive specialists and both have a .973 fielding %. That's not bad, but I'd like to see some more offensive production from Crede; once that happens, his errors will be noticed a bit less.

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2005, 11:51 PM
Their runs are similar to an NBA team coming back from 20 down to tie or take a small lead, then running out of gas and losing in the end. Oakland puts themselves in such an awful position that it takes every ounce of energy over 90 games to comeback, that in the end, they are dead.Good is the enemy of great. You've just defined the difference. Good teams are constantly digging holes for themselves and spending their energy recovering. They get ahead a little bit, but can't hold it. They alternate between hot streaks and cold streaks, but never put together the stretch of excellence that defines greatness.

Make no mistake, Billy Beane has put together some good baseball teams. But he doesn't have the slightest idea how to put together great ones.

balke
08-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Both players have a Fielding % of .973 . Today's error was not ruled an error, and I'm not going to delve into the shoota scorebook and deem this an "error" and lower his FPCT accordingly. I'm also not going to talk about which errors have meant more than others, because I can't remember Uribe's specific errors and I don't know if they were costly or not. What I do know is that both are paid to be defensive specialists and both have a .973 fielding %. That's not bad, but I'd like to see some more offensive production from Crede; once that happens, his errors will be noticed a bit less.

Edit: Oops, I read your quote WAY wrong. I still think Crede's been hitting pretty well of late (For Crede), and the pitching lost this game, along with the boston hitters.

RSN33
08-13-2005, 12:01 AM
Thing is, everything can change in the blink of an eye in the playoffs, regardless of matchups. Teams can get hot or cold very suddenly. I wonder how many Red Sox fans figured the Red Sox were done after losing the first three games to the Yankees last year..

Not many. I sure thought they were done anyway - but I'm a pessimest (that's what you get for being a Red Sox/Blackhawks fan for so many years)

You're right. They got hot last year and won 8 in a row (playoff record). The one thing to consider is the number of chances the Yankees had to win and finish them off in games 4,5 (especially) and 6 -- 7 was a laugher.

If I'm thinking from your guys' perspective, I see the following:

1) Your team has great starting pitching (minus a bump here or there) and a steady bullpen. Everyone knows those are MUSTS in the playoffs, so that's a great start.

2) They're great at manufacturing runs - advancing runners - and have guys that can hit the ball out of the park.

3) They NEED Scott Podsednik on base. Period. They also NEED guys on base from the 6-spot, down; but also to take some pitches and make those pitchers work. It's safe to say that they are not the Yankees or Red Sox as far as danger in the lower part of the lineup, so they need to keep constant offense/rallies going to counter what the Yanks/Sawx do to wear their opponents down. Those teams are extremely patient at the plate and that can really change the outcome of a series as they force teams to dip into their pen early.

4) Can Hermanson hold up the entire way through? He's been almost as close to a state of *Rivera* as you can get, he needs to be that way in the postseason. The Red Sox wouldn't have gone anywhere if Keith Foulke doesn't pitch the way he did last year. 1 ER in his appearances all postseason.

If they can do as the Angels did in 2002 and turn every game into a 6 or 7-inning contest, they'll have a great shot to win some ballgames in Oct.

Edit: all this talk about Oakland and they were 3-hit tonight in Oakland by Johan.. Nice karma in this thread HAHA.

Ol' No. 2
08-13-2005, 12:07 AM
I don't know, this sounds a little ridiculous to me. The only reason the error stands out so much is because Buehrle couldn't pitch out of it, and in the following innings, noone could stop the Red Sox. Crede's bat has been there of late, and I'd agree with the scorekeeper here, not officially an error. It was a makeable play, but it was also quite aways from 3rd base, and it took a funny hook, just like last time.

Crede didn't lose this game. The pitching, and Boston's bats lost it for the Sox. We lost by one, and gave up 5 runs after the error inning.Let's not over-analyze this. After the first two innings, the Red Sox scored in every inning but one. All that scoring didn't happen because Crede lost a pop foul in the wind. The Sox lost this game because Buehrle and his successors were throwing meatballs against one of the best hitting lineups in the majors. Most of those pitches had WAY too much of the plate. That's going to get you killed every time. **** happens. Even Cy Young got hammered once in a while.

JB98
08-13-2005, 12:15 AM

Anti-nanas go to:
Joe Crede, Luis Vizcaino, Bobby Jenks (mini-anti-nana; he's a rookie and he'll learn), and Ozzie :o:, who I usually don't criticize, but Cotts really shouldn't be used as a 0.1IP lefty specialist. If you bring him in, use him for 0.2-1.0 innings; he's got a 2.06 ERA for a reason, and that reason is not pitching to only left-handers.

Agree with your statement about Cotts. The guy is perfectly capable of getting right-handed hitters out. I thought Ozzie overmanaged that eighth inning. I know we need to find out what Jenks can do in pressure situations, but I would have felt totally comfortable with Neal facing Renteria. Contrary to the way Ozzie has been using him, Cotts is NOT a lefty specialist. He is too good of a pitcher to be wasted in that role.

slobes
08-13-2005, 12:20 AM
We just gotta bounce back tomorrow and win 2 out of 3, it's what we've done all year.

spiffie
08-13-2005, 12:23 AM
Not having seen tonight's game, I can thankfully have the perspective of someone who did not suffer through what sounds like a VERY annoying game:

-We are the best team in baseball
-We have the best pitching in baseball
-We are the best equipped for October team in baseball
-We basically have our division clinched on the 12th of August

We got unlucky and made a couple of bad plays. It's a long season, and sometimes focus slips when the individual games don't really matter at this point. At this point even 60-70% intensity will win enough games to go to the playoffs and even if they never explicitly think that, it will begin to impact you as the season wears on.

So deep cleansing breaths, remember that Mark Buehrle is still the best pitcher in the AL, even if he had a bad outing, and that tomorrow the second best pitcher in the AL goes. Push those dark clouds away and wait for the sun to come up tomorrow.

chisoxfanatic
08-13-2005, 12:31 AM
Not many. I sure thought they were done anyway - but I'm a pessimest (that's what you get for being a Red Sox/Blackhawks fan for so many years)

You're right. They got hot last year and won 8 in a row (playoff record). The one thing to consider is the number of chances the Yankees had to win and finish them off in games 4,5 (especially) and 6 -- 7 was a laugher.

If I'm thinking from your guys' perspective, I see the following:

1) Your team has great starting pitching (minus a bump here or there) and a steady bullpen. Everyone knows those are MUSTS in the playoffs, so that's a great start.

2) They're great at manufacturing runs - advancing runners - and have guys that can hit the ball out of the park.

3) They NEED Scott Podsednik on base. Period. They also NEED guys on base from the 6-spot, down; but also to take some pitches and make those pitchers work. It's safe to say that they are not the Yankees or Red Sox as far as danger in the lower part of the lineup, so they need to keep constant offense/rallies going to counter what the Yanks/Sawx do to wear their opponents down. Those teams are extremely patient at the plate and that can really change the outcome of a series as they force teams to dip into their pen early.

4) Can Hermanson hold up the entire way through? He's been almost as close to a state of *Rivera* as you can get, he needs to be that way in the postseason. The Red Sox wouldn't have gone anywhere if Keith Foulke doesn't pitch the way he did last year. 1 ER in his appearances all postseason.

If they can do as the Angels did in 2002 and turn every game into a 6 or 7-inning contest, they'll have a great shot to win some ballgames in Oct.

Edit: all this talk about Oakland and they were 3-hit tonight in Oakland by Johan.. Nice karma in this thread HAHA.

First off, welcome to WSI, sweetie. :smile:

I must admit that your team is exactly who I want to face in the playoffs, since I think they are very evenly matched. How exciting these first five games have been against you...Just imagine this taken up tons of knotches in OCTOBER?! Our team isn't scared of anyone, your team has been there before.

Oh, and what if a score to the final game of the series was 10-4? :cool:

ilsox7
08-13-2005, 12:35 AM
First off, welcome to WSI, sweetie. :smile:

I must admit that your team is exactly who I want to face in the playoffs, since I think they are very evenly matched. How exciting these first five games have been against you...Just imagine this taken up tons of knotches in OCTOBER?! Our team isn't scared of anyone, your team has been there before.

Oh, and what if a score to the final game of the series was 10-4? :cool:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you two kids know each other. I'd also guess you're truck drivers (with the 10-4 reference and all) but I see that one is a teacher and one an I-Banker (yikes, sorry about that!).

Or maybe the 10-4 is an anniversary. :smile:

OK, done guessing for now.

RSN33
08-13-2005, 12:40 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you two kids know each other. I'd also guess you're truck drivers (with the 10-4 reference and all) but I see that one is a teacher and one an I-Banker (yikes, sorry about that!).

I know HER????? That's hearsay. :cool:

You'll have to keep guessing on the 10/4 --actually, don't. You'll thank me later. :wink:

chisoxfanatic
08-13-2005, 12:43 AM

RSN33 and I are total enemies with a lot of angst towards each other. :cool:

mrwaffle
08-13-2005, 02:58 AM
:tomatoaward.

Frater Perdurabo
08-13-2005, 11:21 AM
If you guys are looking for players with ZERO errors, you're going to find it pretty hard to fill out a 25-man roster.

Not really. Just sign a bunch of career DHs! :tongue:

jabrch
08-13-2005, 11:40 AM

That being said, I was extremely dissapointed with Buehrle's effort today.

Buehrle's EFFORT? You think he was dogging it? He got hit by the best hitting team in baseball, in one of the best hitters parks in baseball. I don't think it is Mark's effort that is the problem. Only the results.

elrod
08-13-2005, 11:44 AM
Agree with your statement about Cotts. The guy is perfectly capable of getting right-handed hitters out. I thought Ozzie overmanaged that eighth inning. I know we need to find out what Jenks can do in pressure situations, but I would have felt totally comfortable with Neal facing Renteria. Contrary to the way Ozzie has been using him, Cotts is NOT a lefty specialist. He is too good of a pitcher to be wasted in that role.

Here's the elephant in the room, folks. Cotts is a RIGHTY specialist. Pollitte is a LEFTY specialist. Look at the numbers. Cotts dominates righties and Pollitte dominates lefties. If Ozzie puts those guys in in those situations, opposing managers will stupidly oblige every time.

Ol' No. 2
08-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Here's the elephant in the room, folks. Cotts is a RIGHTY specialist. Pollitte is a LEFTY specialist. Look at the numbers. Cotts dominates righties and Pollitte dominates lefties. If Ozzie puts those guys in in those situations, opposing managers will stupidly oblige every time.Hmmm...what if the BATTER hits lefties better than righties? Who do you put in then?

MRKARNO
08-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Buehrle's EFFORT? You think he was dogging it? He got hit by the best hitting team in baseball, in one of the best hitters parks in baseball. I don't think it is Mark's effort that is the problem. Only the results.

Well he did leave a few too many meatballs for a team that can and will hit them a long way, but I was using the word more as a synonym for performance.

voodoochile
08-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Hmmm...what if the BATTER hits lefties better than righties? Who do you put in then?

I'd also bet that due to he way they were used early in the year the sample size of opposite arm batters is too small to create a meaningful sample. I mean if Cotts has a BAA against RHB of .190 but has only faced 20 of them all year, it doesn't really mean much...

fquaye149
08-13-2005, 11:59 AM
LOL, oh, I'm sure they would still find something to freak out about. You gotta love the Dark Clouds. They are consistent. :redneck

Anyone but the Royals! Don't you know how hard it is to beat a team that many times in a season. They've seen us too much. It's like March Madness when you face a team you've swept in the tourney. Always a loss. Is it too early to be hoping for the Tigers to eliminate the Royals?

chisoxfanatic
08-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Anyone but the Royals! Don't you know how hard it is to beat a team that many times in a season. They've seen us too much. It's like March Madness when you face a team you've swept in the tourney. Always a loss. Is it too early to be hoping for the Tigers to eliminate the Royals?

I don't think that will be possible. The Royals are going to win it all this year. You heard it here first..."The 2005 Kansas City Royals are World Champions!"

Ambiorix Burgos will be World Series MVP, and Joe Posnanski will be seen running naked from home plate to the centerfield wall, jumping in the water out there between the outfield seats.

wassagstdu
08-13-2005, 12:26 PM

Sad. Sounds like you don't much like baseball. So every year one team wins -- and one minute later the season is over. And every other team and their fans have wasted the season.

fquaye149
08-13-2005, 01:33 PM
Sad. Sounds like you don't much like baseball. So every year one team wins -- and one minute later the season is over. And every other team and their fans have wasted the season.

i think you missed the point. He's not looking forward to the handwringing that will be going on over the next two months if we wonder if the Sox will peak in time for the playoffs after this inevitable letdown that pretty much comes from having more or less locked up the division (and probably HFA) in July

maurice
08-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Cotts is a RIGHTY specialist. Pollitte is a LEFTY specialist.

Actually, neither of them are specialists. They're simply 2 of the best all-around relievers in baseball this year, and Ozzie needs to stop pitching them for .1 of an inning, so that he can later pitch a Vizcaino or a Jenks for (1) multiple batters and (2) against the heart of the order.

I agree with your general point that Ozzie's lefty-right BS ignores the actual statistics, but my solution would be to pitch Cotts and Politte for 1+ inning at a time, especially in close games.