PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck, Milkman

Procol Harum
11-28-2001, 11:19 AM
Ah, Herbert, we hardly knew ye....in another organization that had some clue as to what it was doing you would have been a quality long-time back-up and spot-starter. You were a clutch guy and from everything I saw a professional with a good attitude--we could use a few more of those guys in these here parts.

kermittheefrog
11-28-2001, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Ah, Herbert, we hardly knew ye....in another organization that had some clue as to what it was doing you would have been a quality long-time back-up and spot-starter. You were a clutch guy and from everything I saw a professional with a good attitude--we could use a few more of those guys in these here parts.

That's probably not true. Veterans are rarely longtime backups for one club. They get expensive that way and if you're talking about a good backup he'll probably get an offer to start on a lesser team. The kinds of guys who end up backups for several years on one club are young guys who can't break the lineup and haven't hit free agency yet and guys who are past their usefulness as a regulars but stick around for their "veteran presence" like say Luis Sojo.

It would be weird for Herbert to just stick around here as a longtime backup. I think it's a good sign to see the Sox let Perry go, they aren't clinging to a guy who isn't going to make a big difference while his salary goes up. They'll even get something for him this way.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-28-2001, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
.... think it's a good sign to see the Sox let Perry go, they aren't clinging to a guy who isn't going to make a big difference while his salary goes up. They'll even get something for him this way.

Don't be so sure, Kermit. :(:

:KW
"I'm the one doing the trades, remember?"