PDA

View Full Version : Cy Young

gobears1987
08-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Who will win the Cy Young?

SpartanSoxFan
08-12-2005, 07:01 PM
Hopefully not Mariano Rivera, like that ESPN blowhard stand-in said on Dan Patrick's radio show today.

soltrain21
08-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Deep down I have a feeling that Mark and Jon will split votes, and the East Coast bias will swing in and vote Rivera. Man will that piss me off.

Nothing against Garland, but I really want Mark to win it. He is the heart and soul of this team and, as much as I like Garland...he isn't Mark Buerhle.

RSN33
08-12-2005, 08:52 PM
This award reeked of Roy Halladay until he got hurt. His injury opened it up for either Buehrle or Garland to win.

A month ago I would have voted Halladay; NOW I would vote Buehrle. I really think at this point it's his to lose.

*note - Interesting point about Mo. Unless there is a Dennis-Eckersley-like turn of events in the AL, I don't see a reliever winning it. HOWEVER, Mariano is as dominant a pitcher at his role in baseball as there is today or any era, IMO. .

buehrle4cy05
08-12-2005, 09:09 PM
Rivera may be good, but he doesn't deserve to win CY Young the way Gagne did in 2003. In 2003, the top two starters were Jason Schmidt and the Messiah, but neither had 20 wins. Garland should get to 20 wins, and I have a feeling that if he can keep that ERA around 3.20, he will win the Cy.

I would vote for Buehrle, just to make me look like
:cleo

SOXintheBURGH
08-12-2005, 09:22 PM
If Garland keeps his ERA under 3.4 and wins over 20, its his. I wish MB would get it, but you have to give Garland respect for what he has done.

He gone
08-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Deep down I have a feeling that Mark and Jon will split votes, and the East Coast bias will swing in and vote Rivera.

I hope you're wrong, but I kind of feel the same way :angry:

chisoxfanatic
08-12-2005, 10:02 PM
NOW I would vote Buehrle. I really think at this point it's his to lose.

Why thank you, hunnie! :hug:

But I'm not so set on it being Buehrle just yet, since Garland has come out of nowhere to have the season he's had. It's just a great feeling to see TWO pitchers that could win it. And, I do not think a relief pitcher deserves as much consideration as pitchers who throw 6-8 times more than they do.

FredManrique
08-12-2005, 10:18 PM
I can't believe Bonderman is even a choice... "remember, it's the Cy Young Award... not the Cy Very Good Award."

My gut feeeling is that if Halladay can com eback at get to 17-18 wins, while keeping his era around 2.50, the voters will go with him.

I'm sensing some level of skepticism about Garland out here in California. I think a lot of people have it in their minds that he's a mediocre pitcher, and that could really hurt his chances. Buerhle has been good since the beginning of his career and I think that helps him.

There's still some very important baseball to be played. Whomever wins will have to distance himself from the pack in September.

ilsox7
08-12-2005, 10:36 PM
I can't believe Bonderman is even a choice... "remember, it's the Cy Young Award... not the Cy Very Good Award."

My gut feeeling is that if Halladay can com eback at get to 17-18 wins, while keeping his era around 2.50, the voters will go with him.

I'm sensing some level of skepticism about Garland out here in California. I think a lot of people have it in their minds that he's a mediocre pitcher, and that could really hurt his chances. Buerhle has been good since the beginning of his career and I think that helps him.

There's still some very important baseball to be played. Whomever wins will have to distance himself from the pack in September.

22-23 wins would say otherwise.

RSN33
08-12-2005, 11:28 PM
22-23 wins would say otherwise.

Maybe - Maybe not. Wins are a very subjective figure.

Derek Lowe won 21 games in 2002 and had an ERA almost a full run lower than Garland's is currently (2.58). He never won anything. THEN, last year he had 14 wins despite an ERA of almost 6.

I think what would hurt Garland this year is that he started off so well, but facing other teams' #5 starters; but that might be stretching it.

Then again, would you REALLY say he's more valuable this year on the mound than Buehrle?

As for the comment about Rivera not deserving the Cy "Like Gagne did", here's food for thought: he has allowed TWO earned runs in 42 innings with no blown saves since the 2nd game of the year - that includes the 1 Wed. vs. CHI. If any reliever deserved it and they decided to go that route, he certainly does.

TimoandAaron
08-13-2005, 09:40 AM
Deep down I have a feeling that Mark and Jon will split votes,
votes are 17 for Garland and 17 for Burly.

good call

TommyJohn
08-13-2005, 09:47 AM
How about Dustin Hermanson?

Chips
08-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Jon Garland deserves this award this season, and hopefully he can up what he is doing and win 20+ games with a sub 3 era.

PAPChiSox729
08-14-2005, 12:15 AM
I really want Buehrle or Garland to win it (preferably Mark). But I just have a strong feeling that Rivera is going to get it.

:(:

soltrain21
08-14-2005, 01:14 AM
Well, all three of them didn't help the cause this week. They all sucked.