PDA

View Full Version : Sun-Times wants Jenks to close

VeeckAsInWreck
08-12-2005, 04:50 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluca/cst-spt-deluca122.html

I like the idea of letting Jenks close, he has the stuff to do it. But would it really be a good idea to start having him close against the Sawx?

What does everyone think?

na_na_na_na
08-12-2005, 04:52 PM
After the way he mistreated A-rod at Yankee stadium I feel confident in his ability to pitch wherever whenever

SOXfnNlansing
08-12-2005, 04:55 PM
He's tough as nails. The more gamers we have the better. It would be nice to throw him out there with the pressure lower now.

daveeym
08-12-2005, 04:57 PM
I was scared to read that article, then it actually made sense. Unfortunately it seems like his back problems are the type that 15 days may do nothing for him. It's more about loosening up rather than pitching in pain, or so it seems. This organization has made all the right moves so far including regular rests for players, extended time out of the lineup for pulls and strains and the handling of the DL so I'll trust em with any move they make.

Madvora
08-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Yeah, the question should be IF Hermy needs to rest his back.

If so then hell yeah!

brewcrew/chisox
08-12-2005, 05:02 PM
As someone who has suffered from a bad back, I can say from first hand experience that the only thing that is going to allow Hermie to get better is rest; not rub downs, not ice packs, not whirlpools--only rest. Therefore, I say that you shut him down, maybe even put him on the 15 day DL and use Jenks, or the rest of the pen for that matter until he can get better and at full strength for the playoffs when we need him. I agree with Bernstein today from the B&B show, who says that it can only help the ballclub in the longrun. It helps the Whitesox see if Jenks can be someone to be trusted with the game on the line, and it helps Hermie get better. I say do it.

cubhater
08-12-2005, 05:02 PM
Sure! Why not? We have a big lead so it's a good time to see if the kid can handle the pressure in case Dustin won't be around later in the year.

MarySwiss
08-12-2005, 05:03 PM
My only problem with having Jenks close instead of Hermie is that the idea originated at one of the Chicago papers, which should make it automatically suspect.

Baby Fisk
08-12-2005, 05:07 PM
"Pass the biscuits, mama! I'm closin' tonight!"

VeeckAsInWreck
08-12-2005, 05:08 PM
My only problem with having Jenks close instead of Hermie is that the idea originated at one of the Chicago papers, which should make it automatically suspect.

True, but many of us would like to see Jenks close. He has Brad Lidge-like stuff.

MarySwiss
08-12-2005, 05:12 PM
True, but many of us would like to see Jenks close. He has Brad Lidge-like stuff.

Oh, I agree, and that's why I voted yes. Jenks could really give potential playoff opponents something to think about!

GAsoxfan
08-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Sounds good to me. Then call up Baj to take Hermanson's place so the Sox can see if he'll be able to contribute.

bumptious96
08-12-2005, 05:15 PM
Without a doubt I would have Jenks close until Hermy's back gets back to full form, or the best form he can get to.

The last thing I want is Hermy hurting back to totally blow up trying to close a game against some bum team when we really don't need him out there.

maurice
08-12-2005, 05:19 PM
I'll let the two Herms decide if and when he needs to stop closing, not the Cub-Times.

CHIsoxNation
08-12-2005, 05:24 PM
I would throw him out there just to get some more playoff like experience under his belt. The last series was the probably the closest thing we've played to playoff baseball and I would love to see Jenks get some more action in it. I would wait until after this series ends with Boston and maybe even Minnesota next week before sending Hermie to the DL for rest. In the next 6 games I am sure everyone will be able to see how much Jenks can handle the pressure.

fquaye149
08-12-2005, 05:43 PM
Without a doubt I would have Jenks close until Hermy's back gets back to full form, or the best form he can get to.

The last thing I want is Hermy hurting back to totally blow up trying to close a game against some bum team when we really don't need him out there.

Exactly. Hell - healthy it's not question - Hermy has earned the role and done nothing to lose it. BUT these games mean nothing, and it's better to have a healthy Hermanson than to worry about him getting the ball in close games. Give Jenks a few shots.

And something to consider is that the world series winner's of the past 3 years have all had young players step into key roles - Arroyo, Cabrera and K-Rod. We all thought our guy would be Anderson...but it looks more and more like it will be Jenks. I love that "little" guy

PicktoCLick72
08-12-2005, 05:45 PM
It's a nice safety net to have in Jenks if Hermie goes down.

Rooney4Prez56
08-12-2005, 05:51 PM
Yeah, put him in to rest Hermanson. I want him ready for the postseason.

ArkanSox
08-12-2005, 06:13 PM
Bobby Jenks could turn into the REAL DEAL and may become the Sox closer for years to come. He def has the stuff to dominate. If he learns consistent control and develops a better off speed pitch, this guy will be automatic. From what I've heard, his personal problems seems to be behind him, and it sounds like he basically just grew up. He's an exciting addition to the team. Who wouldn't want to see him pitch and succeed?
Go get 'em, Bobby!!!

HebrewHammer
08-12-2005, 06:13 PM
No.

He's had a nice run, but he's not completely trustable yet. I realize he is a power arm that people like in that role, but I'd rather try guys who can get people out.

Chips
08-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Sounds good to me. Then call up Baj to take Hermanson's place so the Sox can see if he'll be able to contribute.

I don't think we need to be calling up players to see if they can contribute and end up losing games. If Hermanson does go on the DL, I would rather bring up a bat like Borchard or Sweeney or Anderson, but I guess we can send Timo down for that.

TomBradley72
08-12-2005, 06:26 PM
No.

He's had a nice run, but he's not completely trustable yet. I realize he is a power arm that people like in that role, but I'd rather try guys who can get people out.

I'd wait until after the BoSox series....and I'd put him on the DL....and bring up someone that can help (Baj? Borchard? Anderson?) and that could use the experience.

slobes
08-12-2005, 08:04 PM
I don't think there's any doubt that Jenks is a very good pitcher. If Hermanson does need a rest, I would be fine with the game in Jenks' hands. But Hermanson has been near perfect as a closer, if he's healthy, then there is no reason to replace him.

SpartanSoxFan
08-12-2005, 08:07 PM
I would feel a little better about having Jenks close against AL Central opponents in a few weeks. These games against the Yankmees and Red Sawx are too important and pressure-filled to have him in there.

HebrewHammer
08-12-2005, 08:07 PM
I'd wait until after the BoSox series....and I'd put him on the DL....and bring up someone that can help (Baj? Borchard? Anderson?) and that could use the experience.

:o:

Maybe you've read something I haven't but is Hermanson's back that bad?

We're in the middle of a pennant chase, this is not the time to "get guys some experience."

TomBradley72
08-12-2005, 08:31 PM

We're in the middle of a pennant chase, this is not the time to "get guys some experience."

The theory of the thread is "Jenks is the closer because Hermanson needs to rest his back"....I'd rather DL him to give him that rest...and have a productive spot on the roster vs. playing short handed.

fquaye149
08-12-2005, 09:06 PM

i think the point is that we're not really in a pennant chase

MarySwiss
08-12-2005, 09:36 PM
i think the point is that we're not really in a pennant chase

And this is an excelllent point. Everybody else in the AL is in a pennant chase, not us.

So even if Hermie is able to come in, holding tryouts for a back-up closer is not a bad idea.

buehrle4cy05
08-12-2005, 09:50 PM
I'd rather DL him to give him that rest...and have a productive spot on the roster vs. playing short handed.

Definetly. Recall Gload or even Borchard to take Hermy's spot. I'm confident that Jenks can close for now, and it will leave Hermanson to rest and be fresh for the playoffs. It also would give Jenks an audition to possibly be the full-time closer next year.

balke
08-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Jinx!!!!!

SOXfnNlansing
08-13-2005, 12:15 AM
He's tough as nails. The more gamers we have the better. It would be nice to throw him out there with the pressure lower now. umm, can I change my mind now after tonight?

FarWestChicago
08-13-2005, 12:18 AM
umm, can I change my mind now after tonight?Sure, you windsock.

:windsock:

soxfan43
08-13-2005, 01:20 AM
even though he blew and it might not have been the right game to do it, he's gotta get some closing experience just in case...

RedFoxSoxFan
08-13-2005, 02:28 AM
Jinx!!!!!

My vote for BJ's new nickname

FarWestChicago
08-13-2005, 02:35 AM
My vote for BJ's new nicknameYet another GW. :rolleyes:

1stPlaceWhiteSox
08-13-2005, 05:12 AM
I believe Jenks should be the closer while the Herm is resting his back. Jenks features some wicked stuff. That 102 mph fastball he has can certainly make any hitter tardy, and his offspeed stuff is above-average...well i wouldnt consider a 90mph curveball offspeed....

Jenks should get some oppurtunities to close.....God help me if I see Vizcaino in there, everytime I see Vizcaino come in he serves it up to 2 bit hitters. :angry:

A_ROW33
08-13-2005, 05:13 PM
I like Jenks, I think he can succeed in the closer's role. However I don't think you just give it to him should Hermanson need to go on the DL. I'd like to see how Cotts would do in that role as well, Marte has proven unreliable in save situations and Politte has some mental problems dealing with the 9th inning.

Basically I would welcome open competition should hermanson go down.