PDA

View Full Version : interesting/dumb though

JermaineDye05
08-12-2005, 02:54 PM
seeing as they have switch hitters, imagine if they had switch pitchers who could pitch either way, crazy idea, let me know what you think, even if you dont care or even if this thread sucks

Chisox003
08-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Dont be so hard on yourself!

:threadblows:

Seriously though, I think there was someone who did that, but it was many a year ago....

Steakpita
08-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Can a switch hitter switch sides in mid-AB? I've often wondered this.

re starting pitchers: it would take a pretty incredible amount of talent to be able to switch pitch. Dunno if this is really possible...

Stroker Ace
08-12-2005, 02:58 PM
I've thought the same thing too.

TheOldRoman
08-12-2005, 02:58 PM
I believe there have been switch pitchers in the past, because there is a rule on it. While a batter can turn around during an at bat, a pitcher must pitch the entire at bat with the hand he started it with. Also, it would be physically impossible to stay warm. A pitcher would probably throw left the majority of the time, and then suddenly start throwing 90mph on a cold right arm every 4 batters or so. That is an injury waiting to happen.

BeviBall!
08-12-2005, 03:00 PM
Can a switch hitter switch sides in mid-AB? I've often wondered this.

I believe you can change every at-bat... but not from pitch to pitch.

Madvora
08-12-2005, 03:01 PM
That would mean the same guy could start both games of a double header.

voodoochile
08-12-2005, 03:09 PM
I believe you can change every at-bat... but not from pitch to pitch.

Carl did it a few years ago so I am pretty sure you can move around at will as a hitter.

BTW, CC did it on an 0-2 count and promptly.... (drum roll please)... stuck out swinging...:(:

PAPChiSox729
08-12-2005, 03:11 PM
I believe there have been switch pitchers in the past, because there is a rule on it. While a batter can turn around during an at bat, a pitcher must pitch the entire at bat with the hand he started it with. Also, it would be physically impossible to stay warm. A pitcher would probably throw left the majority of the time, and then suddenly start throwing 90mph on a cold right arm every 4 batters or so. That is an injury waiting to happen.

I remember reading in SI about a minor league pitcher in the Braves' organization that pitched both ways. I can't remember his name but I would be interested to see how he turned out.

Iwritecode
08-12-2005, 03:14 PM
Carl did it a few years ago so I am pretty sure you can move around at will as a hitter.

BTW, CC did it on an 0-2 count and promptly.... (drum roll please)... stuck out swinging...:(:

I did it one time when I was playing.

I can't really hit all that well left-handed so it was all really just to mess with the pitcher. He turned around and told his infield "He's gonna bunt! Get ready!" Then forgot how to throw strikes. :wink:

After 2 straight balls he finally managed to get one over the plate. Then I just stepped into the right-handed batter's box. I honestly don't remember if I got a hit or not...

Taliesinrk
08-12-2005, 03:21 PM

Interesting FYI, but Billy Wagner used to be right-handed and pitched in high school. Then he broke his arm and started throwing left... I believe the rest is history.

Also, not that I'm trying to challenge anyone here, but it was my understanding of the rule that a hitter must continue batting from the same side of the plate as when the first pitch was thrown (the beginning of the AB)???

itsnotrequired
08-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Interesting FYI, but Billy Wagner used to be right-handed and pitched in high school. Then he broke his arm and started throwing left... I believe the rest is history.

Also, not that I'm trying to challenge anyone here, but it was my understanding of the rule that a hitter must continue batting from the same side of the plate as when the first pitch was thrown (the beginning of the AB)???

I'm pretty sure you can switch between pitches but cannot switch once a pitcher is ready to pitch. Doing so is an out.

SOXfnNlansing
08-12-2005, 04:30 PM
I believe you can change every at-bat... but not from pitch to pitch. That is correct. The pitcher must commit to one way or the other per plate appearance. A batter may switch during his plate appearance. Hawk was talking about it once and I looked it up.

GAsoxfan
08-12-2005, 04:43 PM
If someone could switchpitch effectively they would be a great weapon, especially as a reliever.

akingamongstmen
08-12-2005, 04:49 PM
I've read that Randy "Macho Man" Savage of WWF fame pitched ambidextrously in the low minor leagues, but wasn't particulary great from either side. I still think that's pretty impressive. When I try to throw left handed, I feel like an idiot.

DumpJerry
08-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Either Denny McLain or Mickey Lolich of the 1960's Tigers switched his pitching arm after an injury. I can't remember which one did it.

GAsoxfan
08-12-2005, 05:21 PM
I've read (although I've never actually seen him, so I don't know for sure if this is true) that throwing a football is the only thing Michael Vick does lefthanded.

HebrewHammer
08-12-2005, 06:02 PM
Last I remember hearing about someone who did this in a game, it was John Dopson formerly of the Red Sox, but I may be mistaken.

ssidebeatdown
08-12-2005, 06:42 PM
We did it in a high school game a few years ago, had the batter fake bunt in the left handed batters box to let the baserunner steal 2nd (harder throw for the catcher). The ump wouldnt let the batter switch back even after the rule book was presented to the ump. The kid obviously struck out.

nedlug
08-12-2005, 07:31 PM
I didn't read the whole thread, so here's the switch-pitching rule:

You can only have one glove out in the field for each inning. Therefore, you'd have to select whether you want to pitch lefty or righty for the whole inning. You can't switch gloves in the middle of the inning.

However, the bat is the same for each player. Therefore, you can go and stand on whatever side you want for whatever pitch you want. I've always thought that switch hitters should be able to take advantage of this in some kind of way by switching in the middle of an AB... oh well.

I know the rule because I read in SI (I think, either way, it was a magazine) a couple of years ago about a HS pitcher that pitched both ways.