PDA

View Full Version : Shingo signs minor leauge deal w/ Mets

chisox117
08-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2132281

shaunburnette
08-12-2005, 11:36 AM
good for him. glad to hear he did not just hang it up and head back to japan.

i wish mr. zero the best..................

itsnotrequired
08-12-2005, 11:39 AM
Good news. Let's see how the NL handles the frisbee.

BigEdWalsh
08-12-2005, 11:47 AM
Good luck, Shingo! Go get 'em!
Let's go Mets!!
:D:

Madvora
08-12-2005, 11:48 AM
Go get em Shingo!

VeeckAsInWreck
08-12-2005, 12:07 PM
I'm just glad he's not a Cub. Good luck Shingo, I miss you.

TDog
08-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Good news. Let's see how the NL handles the frisbee.

Are the Rockies left on the Mets' schedule?

SOX ADDICT '73
08-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Though I think we are a better team with Jenks coming out of the bullpen, I was really pulling for Shingo to avoid the dreaded "sophomore slump." I felt bad when the Sox released him, and I hope he can succeed with the Mets.

RallyBowl
08-12-2005, 12:41 PM
What, so he'll play for their minor league team and not ours? Why Shingo, why?

Stroker Ace
08-12-2005, 01:52 PM
Good to hear he landed with the Mets. He will improve their bullpen. Seriously.

The Dude
08-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Good to hear he landed with the Mets. He will improve their bullpen. Seriously.

I think the switch to the NL will do him good. I hope he has a lot of success with the NY Mets.

Rocky Soprano
08-12-2005, 01:57 PM

Same question!

Madvora
08-12-2005, 02:04 PM
I wonder how he hits?
Do pitchers in the minors hit for National League teams?

Tekijawa
08-12-2005, 02:08 PM
GOod Luck Shingo!

PAPChiSox729
08-12-2005, 02:08 PM

He probably think that there is a better likelihood of him getting called up to the Mets than to the White Sox. And I would have to agree with him. Good luck to Shingo in New York!
:gulp:

SOXfnNlansing
08-12-2005, 02:22 PM
I hope you make it Shingo!

soxfan1965
08-12-2005, 10:37 PM
He probably think that there is a better likelihood of him getting called up to the Mets than to the White Sox. And I would have to agree with him. Good luck to Shingo in New York!
:gulp:
Kaz Ishii is also there with the Norfolk (Mets) AAA team. Nevertheless, there are probably a lot of reasons Shingo didn't stay with Charlotte. Maybe he didn't want to be a financial burden on the Sox. If he was younger, maybe he would have stayed. Maybe he wanted to try a NL team before retiring, if he feels it's his last year. If he gets called up, he may get to swing away once, hit a home run like Hoyt Wilhelm did at his first at bat!!

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2005, 10:56 PM
Kaz Ishii is also there with the Norfolk (Mets) AAA team. Nevertheless, there are probably a lot of reasons Shingo didn't stay with Charlotte. Maybe he didn't want to be a financial burden on the Sox. If he was younger, maybe he would have stayed. Maybe he wanted to try a NL team before retiring, if he feels it's his last year. If he gets called up, he may get to swing away once, hit a home run like Hoyt Wilhelm did at his first at bat!!Or maybe Kenny just told him that despite the happy talk issued for public consumption, his chances of returning to the White Sox were remote, and he saw a better opportunity with the Mets.

TimoandAaron
08-12-2005, 11:01 PM
i guaranytee you the mets will not have a *gong*

Chips
08-13-2005, 11:44 AM
I wonder how he hits?
Do pitchers in the minors hit for National League teams?

I don't think he will bat on account that relief pitchers rarely hit, there is usually some sort of switch on if that were to occur.

I hope he does good, most of the NL has never seen him and probably won't hit him good. He still needs to gather his control.

buehrle4cy05
08-13-2005, 11:49 AM
I hope Shingo makes it back. He was a great part of the team last year and should help the Mets in 2006.

slavko
08-13-2005, 11:51 PM
Kaz Ishii is also there with the Norfolk (Mets) AAA team. Nevertheless, there are probably a lot of reasons Shingo didn't stay with Charlotte. Maybe he didn't want to be a financial burden on the Sox. If he was younger, maybe he would have stayed. Maybe he wanted to try a NL team before retiring, if he feels it's his last year. If he gets called up, he may get to swing away once, hit a home run like Hoyt Wilhelm did at his first at bat!!

I believe he gets the remainder of his 2.5M contract paid by the White Sox, regardless of his release. Tell me if I'm incorrect.

soxfan1965
08-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Shingo on Roster (#18) Norfolk Tides
http://norfolktides.com/team/roster/?id=1937

CHIsoxNation
08-18-2005, 10:13 AM
Shingo on Roster (#18) Norfolk Tides
http://norfolktides.com/team/roster/?id=1937

Does DOB stand for Date of Birth on his description? Because that's pretty interesting.

Urban Legend
08-18-2005, 12:38 PM
http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050818/SPORTS07/508180445

It was Shingo time in Toledo last night. Shingo started and pitched the first two innings (he had a two inning or 30 pitch count, whichever came first). He didn't look as if he very good command in the first inning, getting behind most of the hitters. Marcus Thames hit a 92 MPH (according to the scoreboard) fastball off the left field scoreboard in the first inning. But then, Marcus does that to almost everyone - he has about 25 homers this season between playing in Toledo and Detroit.

Shingo threw a couple pitches - his frisbees - that the scoreboard had at 52 and 51 MPH. He struck out two and walked one. Thames' HR was the only hit he gave up. Shingo was the LP. Japanese media were on hand.

BTW - Former Sox Brian Daubach is having a good season for Norfolk; .340 with 15 HRs and 67 RBIs.

Saw Charlotte play at Toledo Monday and Tuesday nights. Joe Borchard did not play in either game (reason was not given). Russ Gload looked tough - hit the ball hard - he's batting close to .370 with 11 home runs. Gload played RF. Jamie Burke is playing third for the Knights (.267 with 9 HRs). Willie Harris is batting .286 (playing second - I wondered if the Kniights would have him in left as a possible replacement for Pods). Willie struck out four times in the two games, but made a few very good plays, had a couple hits and was playing hard. Greg Norton had three hits in Monday's game and is hitting .283 with 13 HRs and 41 RBIs. Jeff Bajenaru was the loser Monday night. He came in the ninth in a 0-0 game, immediately walked the first two batters and then gave up the winning hit to lose 1-0. He is 4-3 with 16 saves and 75 strikeouts in 61 innings.

BTW - Mud Hens are 75-48, but, the Tigers are dismantling them again, just as they did right before the last time the Hens made the playoffs, in 2002. They called up 1B Carlos Pena yesterday (they have no place to play him), and CF Curtis Granderson earlier this week. Toledo fans are pretty disgusted.

soxfan1965
08-18-2005, 01:16 PM
http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050818/SPORTS07/508180445

It was Shingo time in Toledo last night.

Saw Charlotte play at Toledo Monday and Tuesday nights. Joe Borchard did not play in either game (reason was not given).

Thanks - please keep posting. Hard to get timely or detailed minor league info. Shingo's got some rust but still has his media following. I wonder if Borchard can still quarterback, if he doesn't make it in baseball.

Mr. White Sox
08-18-2005, 03:36 PM
***? That article says they're trying to transition Shingo to starter...either
A. The Mets are complete morons
B. The person who wrote that article is wrong and a complete moron

...'nuff said.

slavko
08-19-2005, 12:33 AM
Thanks - please keep posting. Hard to get timely or detailed minor league info. Shingo's got some rust but still has his media following. I wonder if Borchard can still quarterback, if he doesn't make it in baseball. If he can, he could be the best QB in Chicago.

HotelWhiteSox
08-19-2005, 12:51 AM
So why didn't he just go to his assignment in Charlotte if he was going to end up in the minors for another team? I'm guessing he assumed he'd get a major league gig, because everyone on the board assumed he didn't go to Charlotte out of pride of not going to the minors

Shorty1983
08-19-2005, 09:22 AM
Am I the only one who feels betrayed? Shingo was playing for a winning team and if he took the assignment. Improved his control and put up some good number in Charlotte we may have called him back up in Sept.

ChiSoxRowand
08-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Am I the only one who feels betrayed? Shingo was playing for a winning team and if he took the assignment. Improved his control and put up some good number in Charlotte we may have called him back up in Sept.

I'm with you, it makes me mad that he could have played in the minors for us, got called up in September and have a chance to win a ring. Plus we are on the hook for his salary.