PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 8/12/05

Hangar18
08-12-2005, 10:55 AM
The SOX were off yesterday and understandably, didnt get the backpage/coverpage in the sports dailies. However, I do remember the Cubs being off and the SOX playing, yet the Cubs still getting backcovers.
The Cubs are quietly pulling away from the SOX in stories and coverage.
The fact that the Cubs even have half the Coverage the SOX have is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING in itself .......... considering that Cubs are in 4th place,
18 games out of first place, and the SOX are having the BEST season in their 105 year Existence, and well on their way into the playoffs.

Todays stories are very chipper and very high spirited, talking about the Cub offense and how Brilliant Maddux looked yesterday. Theyre treating his performance as if it were a near No-Hitter, despite fact that he gave up 12 hits. HIs talk of retiring will only start another cycle of heavy coverage,
radio call-in shows.

Using the "Cub Principle", a team that is "winning" gets 5X the Media Coverage and Sensationalism. However, this only applies if its the Cubs who are doing the Actual "winning". If its the White Sox who are "winning", then normal sports journalistic rules apply.

Cubune:
3 cub stories
2 sox stories
Cub-Times:
5 cub stories
3 sox stories

Standings since only 7/25
4th place, 5 games BELOW .500, 18 games out of first ........CUBS 155
1st place, 35 games ABOVE .500, Best Record in 105 yrs.......SOX 108

whitesoxfan
08-12-2005, 11:53 AM
dont know if anyone else saw this, but on the Sox Magic Number box, it says on the Back Page: "Our Guy chats with lefty reliever Cliff Politte."

that my friends is Cubune journalism at its best :rolleyes:

cheeses_h_rice
08-12-2005, 12:06 PM
dont know if anyone else saw this, but on the Sox Magic Number box, it says on the Back Page: "Our Guy chats with lefty reliever Cliff Politte."

that my friends is Cubune journalism at its best :rolleyes:

Well, what's wrong with that?

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3294/polittecliff2tb1hx.jpg

BedfordChisox
08-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Did anyone catch Rick Telander's 8/12 column in the Sun-Times?

http://www.suntimes.com/output/telander/cst-spt-rick12.html

In this article, ostensibly about the Cubs dwindling chances, Telander takes two broad swipes at Ozzie, both times implying strongly that Chicago should be less concerned about the job Baker is doing, and should be critically focusing upon the "foul-mouthed Guillen".

I don't know much about Telander other than he's seems compelled to mention in every other sentence that he played football at Northwestern, but if this article isn't an example of bias, I don't know what bias is. While a columnist has every right to express his opinion (which, is what a column is all about), to sit down and write a column about a team that finally wins a game and let everyone know that they've still got a chance, while basically ignoring all the Sox have accomplished with the exception of off-color remarks by their manager, is not only a waste of ink and paper, but a waste of the precious oxygen that Telander consumed while producing this pap.

Rick: I know I don't have the right to question your sports judgment because you played college football and I didn't. But I can critique your writing skills because I once did well in a spelling bee in 8th grade.

elrod
08-12-2005, 01:16 PM
I do happen to remember last weekend when the Sox game against Seattle was front page, top-billing and a Cubs loss was relegated to page 3. I'd never seen that before. No Cub coverage on the front page at all.

JB98
08-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Did anyone catch Rick Telander's 8/12 column in the Sun-Times?

http://www.suntimes.com/output/telander/cst-spt-rick12.html

In this article, ostensibly about the Cubs dwindling chances, Telander takes two broad swipes at Ozzie, both times implying strongly that Chicago should be less concerned about the job Baker is doing, and should be critically focusing upon the "foul-mouthed Guillen".

I don't know much about Telander other than he's seems compelled to mention in every other sentence that he played football at Northwestern, but if this article isn't an example of bias, I don't know what bias is. While a columnist has every right to express his opinion (which, is what a column is all about), to sit down and write a column about a team that finally wins a game and let everyone know that they've still got a chance, while basically ignoring all the Sox have accomplished with the exception of off-color remarks by their manager, is not only a waste of ink and paper, but a waste of the precious oxygen that Telander consumed while producing this pap.

Rick: I know I don't have the right to question your sports judgment because you played college football and I didn't. But I can critique your writing skills because I once did well in a spelling bee in 8th grade.

Telander hates Ozzie, Chief Illiniwek and anyone or anything else that is politically incorrect. Personally, I love political incorrectness, so Telander can take a hike. I can't stand columnists who act as if they are morally superior to the rest of the world.

Who cares if Ozzie called one of his friends a homosexual? Let he who has never done such a thing cast the first stone......

Hangar18
08-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Who cares if Ozzie called one of his friends a homosexual? Let he who has never done such a thing cast the first stone......

Remember wen DUSTY made comments like this on a daily basis,
and the MEdia chuckled and laughed? They said Dusty was just being "dusty", hes "great" and "Respected by his players" and hes a calling-it-like-he sees-it, take-no-guff kind of guy. The Media here in Chicago fell down running to report how Dusty was this kind of guy (meanwhile, the REAL description of the manager was describing Ozzie just 8miles south)

forrestg
08-14-2005, 12:16 AM
I was watching tv when an ad for the tribune interactive came up. It said something to the effect of getting your chicago news and then it said you can you can keep up with your cubs. No mention of the bull, bears, fire, blackhawks or the sox. If they weren't so BIAS they could have just said your favorite sports team but their ad said keep up with the cubs no other team was mentioned.