PDA

View Full Version : **Official Wild Card Thread NL/AL**

SOXfnNlansing
08-12-2005, 01:38 AM
I thought this would be a good thread to start since there is only the A's thread.

SOXfnNlansing
08-12-2005, 01:39 AM
Houston picked up a game on the 5 teams below them tonight. Up 2 1/2 games now. Angels are leading the AL wild card now.

DaleJRFan
08-12-2005, 03:10 AM
Is it wrong to root for the A's right now? Man... the thought of facing the Angels in the ALDS is a lot more attractive than facing the A's. Let the RedSox and A's duke it out....

In any event, go Houston! :cool:

chisoxfanatic
08-12-2005, 03:12 AM
I'm actually rooting for Oakland to win the AL West and the Indians to win the Wild Card. It would be awesome to see two from the same division in there! That would most likely put us against Boston and Cleveland against Oakland. And that would make me happier, since we wouldn't have to face Oakland in the first round, who have owned us a lot lately. Let Cleveland try to take them down first!

OEO Magglio
08-12-2005, 03:58 AM
I think you'll see the NL wildcard come down to the Astros and Fish, the AL wildcard will be the A's/Angels loser or the Indians just because of their cakewalk schedule. So there are really 4 legit wildcard contenders in the AL and I cut it down to 3, I'm such a big help.:?::redface:

Madvora
08-12-2005, 08:25 AM
Anyone see how the Angels blew the game last night to the A's?

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/recap/MLB_20050811_ANA@OAK

This is something that I would expect from us out in Oakland. Francisco Rodriguez got kind of pissed at a missed call and became distracted by it. He turned his back when the catcher returned the ball to him, it bounces off his glove and rolls behind the mound. At the same time Jason Kendall comes in to score the winning run from 3rd base..

The video link is also on mlb.com

BRDSR
08-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Right now the Angels lead the Indians by 2.5 for the wild card, but the way the Indians are playing, that doesn't seem like much right now. I'm telling you, the Sox have a 12 game lead on the Indians and it seems like the Sox better not lose 12 games for the rest of the season because the Indians might not lose a game at all.

The problem with the Indians winning the Wild Card is that the Sox would face the Athletics in the first round, assuming their record isn't as good as the winner of the East(Boston I would expect). I'm rooting for the A's to win the West, the Angels to win the Wild Card, and Boston to win the East. That way we take out the Angels in the ALDS, let Boston take care of the A's, who can't win a playoff series for their life, and I'll take our chances with Boston in a 7-game series. Basically, I want the season to end today.

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2005, 12:55 PM
If I hear one more person fretting about playing the A's in the post-season I'm going to puke. If you can't beat all comers, you don't deserve the title of Champion.

MIgrenade
08-12-2005, 01:55 PM
Right now the Angels lead the Indians by 2.5 for the wild card, but the way the Indians are playing, that doesn't seem like much right now. I'm telling you, the Sox have a 12 game lead on the Indians and it seems like the Sox better not lose 12 games for the rest of the season because the Indians might not lose a game at all.

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are kidding. But, in all seriousness, while the A's and Angels are beating up on eachother, the Indians are playing the Royals and the D-Rays. They have a really easy schedule and could easily slip into the wildcard. They do play the Angels once and the A's once I think. If they win against those teams, they could make it. I thought they were done after the 4 game sweep by the Sox, who, by the way, play the Indians in 2 of the last 4 series including the last of the year.

BRDSR
08-12-2005, 02:04 PM
I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are kidding. But, in all seriousness, while the A's and Angels are beating up on eachother, the Indians are playing the Royals and the D-Rays. They have a really easy schedule and could easily slip into the wildcard. They do play the Angels once and the A's once I think. If they win against those teams, they could make it. I thought they were done after the 4 game sweep by the Sox, who, by the way, play the Indians in 2 of the last 4 series including the last of the year.

Of course I'm kidding, of course the Indians are going to lose their fair share of games the rest of the way. All I'm saying is that they're finally playing up to the potential that many thought they'd play all year long. If they had played this well for the entire season we'd have a real division race on our hands. But of course the Sox still have it locked up.

And ON2, I don't think analyzing playoff matchups should make you puke. The A's have proved tough on the Sox for half a decade now. It's not a fluke. I don't want the Sox to play them in the first round.

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2005, 02:22 PM
Of course I'm kidding, of course the Indians are going to lose their fair share of games the rest of the way. All I'm saying is that they're finally playing up to the potential that many thought they'd play all year long. If they had played this well for the entire season we'd have a real division race on our hands. But of course the Sox still have it locked up.

And ON2, I don't think analyzing playoff matchups should make you puke. The A's have proved tough on the Sox for half a decade now. It's not a fluke. I don't want the Sox to play them in the first round.Would it make you feel better if they were playing the Royals and Rockies? What a victory that would be!

If you're afraid of any team you shouldn't be there at all.

chisoxfanatic
08-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Would it make you feel better if they were playing the Royals and Rockies? What a victory that would be!

Putting the Red Sox and Angels in the same bracket as the Royals and Rockies is just ludacris. The Royals and Rockies suck...the Red Sox and Angels don't. We'd never be facing a non-quality team in the playoffs. And, tho the Red Sox and Angels are great teams, our Sox haven't had the problems with them as they do the A's. That's just stating a FACT!

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2005, 03:03 PM
Putting the Red Sox and Angels in the same bracket as the Royals and Rockies is just ludacris. The Royals and Rockies suck...the Red Sox and Angels don't. We'd never be facing a non-quality team in the playoffs. And, tho the Red Sox and Angels are great teams, our Sox haven't had the problems with them as they do the A's. That's just stating a FACT!You're kidding yourself. You only want to play teams that they "haven't had problems with". But you're trying to make yourself feel better by telling yourself they're quality teams. If you can't beat anyone, you're not worthy of the title of Champion. And if you're afraid of any team, you shouldn't be there at all.

chisoxfanatic
08-12-2005, 03:06 PM
You're kidding yourself. You only want to play teams that they "haven't had problems with". But you're trying to make yourself feel better by telling yourself they're quality teams. If you can't beat anyone, you're not worthy of the title of Champion. And if you're afraid of any team, you shouldn't be there at all.

Uhhhhh, I don't have to tell myself that they're quality teams just to make myself feel better; because it's a FACT that the Red Sox and Angels are quality teams. And it's a FACT that our Sox haven't had the same troubles against them as they do the A's.

SOXfnNlansing
08-12-2005, 03:29 PM
I think you can't compare a playoff series with results from the regular season. Whoever is playing top ball come the playoffs, wins the series.

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Uhhhhh, I don't have to tell myself that they're quality teams just to make myself feel better; because it's a FACT that the Red Sox and Angels are quality teams. And it's a FACT that our Sox haven't had the same troubles against them as they do the A's.I see. So you want to play teams that are good enough to make you think you've accomplished something, but not good enough that you can't beat them.

BRDSR
08-12-2005, 03:48 PM
I see. So you want to play teams that are good enough to make you think you've accomplished something, but not good enough that you can't beat them.

No, I won't be on the field. I don't want to play any of those teams, they would certainly all beat me. Even the Royals and the Rockies. I would never, by any stretch of the imagination, believe that if the Sox beat the Athletics in the ALDS, delude myself into thinking that I had accomplished anything. I'm not a member of the Chicago White Sox, I'm a fan of the Chicago White Sox, and as a fan I will continue to worry about playoff matchups without having to worry about my accomplishments.

The Red Sox are definitely a better team than the Athletics, yet I would rather the Sox played them in the first round because they match up better. I can think this and still be a fan of the Chicago White Sox.

chisoxfanatic
08-12-2005, 04:47 PM
I see. So you want to play teams that are good enough to make you think you've accomplished something, but not good enough that you can't beat them.

Don't downplay what beating the Red Sox and Angels would mean either, because they are high quality teams as well. :rolleyes:

Optipessimism
08-12-2005, 05:09 PM
Don't downplay what beating the Red Sox and Angels would mean either, because they are high quality teams as well. :rolleyes:

The Angels are...

I kind of hope NY takes the Wildcard and we end up playing them in the ALDS and Boston beats the West team so we play them in the ALCS. Besides wanting to stick it to NY and Boston, I think those are the easiest teams for us to beat. We have the pitching to hold their potent offenses to a low score, and their pitching sucks enough to allow our struggling offense to score just enough to win.

A's or Angels = no good, because that would be a test for us.

Chisox353014
08-12-2005, 05:09 PM
Seeing as how the Sox haven't won a playoff series since before my grandparents were born, I could care less who we beat in the first round.

downstairs
08-12-2005, 05:20 PM
Its nice to be rooting for any one of 12 out of 13 teams to win the NL Wild Card. I'm almost guarunteed to be happy with the result....

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2005, 06:57 PM
The Angels are...

I kind of hope NY takes the Wildcard and we end up playing them in the ALDS and Boston beats the West team so we play them in the ALCS. Besides wanting to stick it to NY and Boston, I think those are the easiest teams for us to beat. We have the pitching to hold their potent offenses to a low score, and their pitching sucks enough to allow our struggling offense to score just enough to win.

A's or Angels = no good, because that would be a test for us.And we want to avoid being tested at all costs.

Maybe some people would like the easy road. I'd LOVE to draw the A's in the first round.

SOXfnNlansing
08-14-2005, 02:40 AM
I'd like to draw the wild card Angels than the red hot Red Sox, especially after this weekend

chisoxfanatic
08-14-2005, 02:49 AM
The Angels are...

The Red Sox have the deepest bench in the majors. They too are a solid team. And, aside from tonight's game, the games have been pretty close played. I'd like the chances of a series going at least 6 games if we were to meet them in the playoffs.

RSN33
08-14-2005, 03:56 AM
The Angels are...

So is that saying the defending WS Champs or the best team in the last 10 years wouldn't be a test?

The White Sox have a good team, yes, but some people are of the mindset that they'll just steamroll either Boston or NY. Be careful what you wish for, is all...