PDA

View Full Version : Brooks being Brooks

rommel13
08-11-2005, 10:43 PM
On Elvis night, my wife and I were seated in the scout seats as Brooks introduced himself to us. We told him that we had named our baby boy Brooks. We spoke for a little, and appreciated the time he spent with us. But leave it up to him to go above and beyond. A short while later he came back with a baby outfit, unfortunately he assumed our child was a newborn. My wife informed him that he was 9 months old. He grabs the outfit, says he'll be right back, and comes back with the appropriate size.

These seem to be the things that Brooks does to set him apart from the rest. I can't tell enough people about Brooks' generosity.

SOX ADDICT '73
08-11-2005, 10:52 PM
Brooks is awesome! I seriously think he responds to every e-mail personally, and his life's mission appears to be making White Sox fans happy, whatever it takes.

BTW, when I mentioned in an e-mail to him that my wife and I were expecting, he suggested "Brooks" as a name if it was a boy. I couldn't sell my wife on the idea (we had a girl, so the closest we could've come was perhaps "Brooke" anyway), but I'm glad someone was able to provide him with a namesake!

ChiSoxGirl
08-11-2005, 11:03 PM
This thread prompted me to share a Brooks story of my own. The guy rules. Period.

At SoxFest this year, White Sox Charities had these gift bags you could buy for $15- they had a Sox Pride poster in them, and various other items, such as the White Sox Wives Cookbook. Unfortunately, I found out about these gift bags on the last day of SoxFest when they were all sold out, but a girl friend of mine had gotten one and showed me the SoxPride poster, which I just loved.

A few days after SoxFest, I sent Brooks an e-mail explaining the above paragraph and asked if there was any way I could get a Sox Pride poster for myself. I told him I'm a teacher in the northwest suburbs and wanted to show the Sox love in my classroom. He e-mailed me right back, saying he'd have his assistant send me a few, and even included a comment about spreading the Sox love in "Cubs Country."

A few weeks had gone by and I hadn't received anything in the mail yet, so I e-mailed Brooks again about it. He responded immediately (at 11p nonetheless!) and said that he'd personally take care of it on Monday (it was a Friday night, I believe). Wouldn't you know that by the end of that week, I had an envelope from the Sox in my mailbox?! In the envelope wasn't just 3 Sox Pride posters, but 5 pocket schedules, a book about season ticket plans, a Freddy Garcia poster (with a photocopied autograph on it), and a couple pamphlets on Group Outings, including Patio Parties. Upon receiving the package, I e-mailed Brooks back thanking him for everything that was included in my package, and he wrote back saying that it was the least he could do and appreciated the fact that I was so happy. :smile:

Hondo
08-11-2005, 11:15 PM
What's great about this is, Brooks is a homegrown guy and Uncle Jerry takes care of his own.
Expect Brooks to be around for a while and that's a great thing!

DumpJerry
08-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Ok. I think the marketing the Brooks has done has been great. However, I feel like the red-headed stepchild here. I read in the pre-season on here about how he answered all emails and was very responsive to fans. So, I emailed him twice with a couple of ideas using proper language (no swearing) with some marketing ideas I had some questions about the team. No response. Nothing. I did not use my WSI screen name, so that can't be it. Sigh.

I think next time I'll send him a letter via snail mail......

TimoPerez
08-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Can someone please give me Brooks' e-mail address? Thank you very much.

ChiSoxGirl
08-11-2005, 11:56 PM
Can someone please give me Brooks' e-mail address? Thank you very much.

Ask and you shall receive. :smile:

bboyer@chisox.com

TimoPerez
08-11-2005, 11:57 PM
Ask and you shall receive. :smile:

bboyer@chisox.com

Thanks a bunch. I really appreciate it.

SOXfnNlansing
08-12-2005, 12:40 AM
Brooks rules!:bandance:

ilsox7
08-12-2005, 03:53 AM
Brooks story here. E-mailed him in March. My Grandpa, who is 84, had a massive stroke in December. Told Brooks we wanted to take him out to a game this summer. Brought him out last week and Brooks made sure he had an autographed ball deliveered to our seats. Made my Grandpa's day. Truly amazing. The Sox are the best when it comes to looking out for long-time fans anf families.

jake27
08-12-2005, 07:23 AM
this past year i was up in the UP of michigan. i really love those calenders they give away every year but i couldnt coem home to go to the game. so i emailed brooks, seeing if he could send me one. and a week or so later i got one in the mail. while this story isnt as big as the baby outfit or giving the autograph ball away, its still brooks helping out his fellow sox fan

BainesHOF
08-12-2005, 10:10 AM
Let's not bother the guy with every little request. Use some discretion.

34 Inch Stick
08-12-2005, 10:15 AM
He is a can do type of guy after years of excuses under the old marketing exec. The smartest thing Jerry could have done was to hire from the Bulls. They did an excellent job of promoting a team that had nothing but past success to offer every year. Selling out those games during the lean years was a miracle P.T. Barnum would have been proud of.

TomBradley72
08-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Brooks is an example of what happens when you pay attention to every detail and every customer. He's done more in a little over a year for the White Sox image and for pride in the franchise than the entire previous 23 years combined since the "Sunshine Boys" bought the franchise. He's replied to every email I've ever sent...and has more (positive) visibility with the Chicago media than any other Sox executive has ever had (except possibly Hemond). Compare the Schueler/Gallas/(Lemont/Bevington/Manuel) regime vs. the Williams/Boyer/Guillen team....what a difference!

Piersall was right about Gallas!

Lip Man 1
08-12-2005, 12:27 PM
There was a mix up regarding some requested materials from one of the Sox departments. I got a letter back with no explanation about what I needed to do or what the issue was so I sent another letter with what I thought I needed to do to Brooks. (I didn't know anyplace else to send it...) He responded and personally made sure the matter was taken care of in a prompt fashion.

When I asked him about it he said, 'I didn't like the way it was handled...'

The guy knows marketing and as I said at the time, it'll turn out he will be the best hire Uncle Jerry ever made. He seems to actually like his job, like Sox fans and want the best for both.

A refreshing change from Rob Gallas.

Lip

pinwheels3530
08-12-2005, 12:59 PM
There was a mix up regarding some requested materials from one of the Sox departments. I got a letter back with no explanation about what I needed to do or what the issue was so I sent another letter with what I thought I needed to do to Brooks. (I didn't know anyplace else to send it...) He responded and personally made sure the matter was taken care of in a prompt fashion.

When I asked him about it he said, 'I didn't like the way it was handled...'

The guy knows marketing and as I said at the time, it'll turn out he will be the best hire Uncle Jerry ever made. He seems to actually like his job, like Sox fans and want the best for both.

A refreshing change from Rob Gallas.

Lip

If the Sox win the World Series, KW will be the best hire JR every made. :D:

Realist
08-12-2005, 01:47 PM
Let's not bother the guy with every little request. Use some discretion.

I just wanna touch his robe. :redneck

oldcomiskey
08-12-2005, 02:05 PM
This thread prompted me to share a Brooks story of my own. The guy rules. Period.

At SoxFest this year, White Sox Charities had these gift bags you could buy for $15- they had a Sox Pride poster in them, and various other items, such as the White Sox Wives Cookbook. Unfortunately, I found out about these gift bags on the last day of SoxFest when they were all sold out, but a girl friend of mine had gotten one and showed me the SoxPride poster, which I just loved.

A few days after SoxFest, I sent Brooks an e-mail explaining the above paragraph and asked if there was any way I could get a Sox Pride poster for myself. I told him I'm a teacher in the northwest suburbs and wanted to show the Sox love in my classroom. He e-mailed me right back, saying he'd have his assistant send me a few, and even included a comment about spreading the Sox love in "Cubs Country."

A few weeks had gone by and I hadn't received anything in the mail yet, so I e-mailed Brooks again about it. He responded immediately (at 11p nonetheless!) and said that he'd personally take care of it on Monday (it was a Friday night, I believe). Wouldn't you know that by the end of that week, I had an envelope from the Sox in my mailbox?! In the envelope wasn't just 3 Sox Pride posters, but 5 pocket schedules, a book about season ticket plans, a Freddy Garcia poster (with a photocopied autograph on it), and a couple pamphlets on Group Outings, including Patio Parties. Upon receiving the package, I e-mailed Brooks back thanking him for everything that was included in my package, and he wrote back saying that it was the least he could do and appreciated the fact that I was so happy. :smile:

That would be my luck--the sox have the best record in baseball exept when Im there.