PDA

View Full Version : Nastiest Collision Ever

TimoPerez
08-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Carlos Beltran and Mike Cameron just had a terrible collision in the outfield. Beltran is walking around but Cammy stayed down. He was moving around but is being taken off on a stretcher. It was nasty.

Unregistered
08-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Hmmm... doesn't sound like the "Nastiest Collision EVER." :cool:

I'll standby for video.

Kogs35
08-11-2005, 05:20 PM
video is up on mlb.com

mantis1212
08-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Hmmm... doesn't sound like the "Nastiest Collision EVER." :cool:

I'll standby for video.

I saw the video, it could very well be- they both dove and their HEADS collided

Ol' No. 2
08-11-2005, 05:35 PM
video is up on mlb.comOw!!!! I have to go take an aspirin after that.

maurice
08-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2131766)
I really hope that Cameron is okay.

Joosh
08-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Just Awful. Who didn't call off who is the question now!

Seriously, ouch. That was bad, very bad.

Chisox003
08-11-2005, 05:45 PM
While looking for this collsion (which was terrible....I wish both of them quick recoveries), I clicked on 8/10 recap on the right hand side of MLB.com, it has a picture of Rowand on it

It's highlights, of just A Row, in the Yankees series with the NY announcers play by play and astonished calls as Rowand makes great play after great play....Gave me the chills

I_Liked_Manuel
08-11-2005, 05:58 PM
that one was really bad, but i think the johnny damon one a few years ago was worse

StockdaleForVeep
08-11-2005, 06:09 PM
What about that horrendous collision with johnny damon that still is messing up his caveman memory

sox1970
08-11-2005, 06:18 PM
The Lyle Mouton/Dave Martinez collision was bad. The Beltran/Cameron is probably the worst I've seen.

SOXfnNlansing
08-11-2005, 06:34 PM
I feel shook and I am saddened from watching the video. I don't follow the NL but they are ball players and it was just sick. I hope that they recover from that collision. I watched the video with my 5 yr old son and he said we should say a prayer for the players. I agree.

Unregistered
08-11-2005, 06:35 PM
Yeah, this one is definately one of the worst.

Is this an issue of Cameron being reckless out there? I say this because he also collided with Cliff Floyd in late May on a similar play.

They need to work on their communication out there.

Hope everyone is alright.

TimoPerez
08-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Just Awful. Who didn't call off who is the question now!

Seriously, ouch. That was bad, very bad.

The Mets announcers brought up a good point. They said that the centerfielder is supposed to call the ball. The problem is that both Cammy and Carlito are centerfielders.

The latest news is that Cammy is alert and conscious. He is at Mercy hospital in San Diego. I don't believe he lost consciousness at all. He also has some cuts on his upper and lower lips. Carlito has a cut above his left ear(it looked pretty deep on television) and has pain in the front of his left shoulder. He did not go to the hospital. He was checked out by the Padres' doctor and all of the tests were normal. Hopefully both of them will fully recover soon.

Stroker Ace
08-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Man, that was one NASTY collision. I hope the both of the return soon.

TimoPerez
08-11-2005, 07:03 PM
Is this an issue of Cameron being reckless out there? I say this because he also collided with Cliff Floyd in late May on a similar play.

No.

TimoPerez
08-11-2005, 07:55 PM
From ESPN:

Cameron broke his nose, had multiple fractures of both cheekbones and a slight concussion, Mets spokesman Jay Horwitz said. Cameron underwent two CT scans and was to be hospitalized overnight. He was placed on the disabled list.

It could have been much worse. I hope he gets better soon.

TimoPerez
08-11-2005, 07:59 PM
ESPN News said that the Mets think that Beltran will be able to play tomorrow. I am sure he will have at least a day off though.

havelj
08-11-2005, 08:09 PM
Lose the term, "EVER."

Overused; the term "ever" has become very tired. Why? I'm not sure, but maybe it's just a term the youth of today choose to overuse - again and again and again.

Sure-that was a very bad one, but please re-think when the valley-girl term "ever" is used.

I hope Beltran is O.K. - I have him in fantasy baseball and is very over-rated by the way. The Mets overpaid for him, yet his averages this year are very close to his career numbers.

TimoandAaron
08-11-2005, 08:53 PM
:o:

Hope Cameron was okay. It looked worse in normal speed than in slow motion.

SOXfnNlansing
08-11-2005, 08:57 PM
Lose the term, "EVER."

Overused; the term "ever" has become very tired. Why? I'm not sure, but maybe it's just a term the youth of today choose to overuse - again and again and again.

Sure-that was a very bad one, but please re-think when the valley-girl term "ever" is used.

I hope Beltran is O.K. - I have him in fantasy baseball and is very over-rated by the way. The Mets overpaid for him, yet his averages this year are very close to his career numbers. dude, he's a human being that was just hurt badly. Who give af about fantasy league? or being overpaid?

Viva Medias B's
08-11-2005, 09:02 PM
ESPN News said that the Mets think that Beltran will be able to play tomorrow. I am sure he will have at least a day off though.

Beltran should probably get the day off. I am sure the birds are still flying around his head as they are Cameron's.

Ol' No. 2
08-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Beltran should probably get the day off. I am sure the birds are still flying around his head as they are Cameron's.The story (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050811&content_id=1166603&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb) on MLB.com says Cameron has multiple fractures of both cheekbones and a broken nose. He's on the 15-day DL.

SomebodyToldMe
08-11-2005, 09:09 PM
Lose the term, "EVER."

I hope Beltran is O.K. - I have him in fantasy baseball and is very over-rated by the way. The Mets overpaid for him, yet his averages this year are very close to his career numbers.

That whole post deserves a "Wow".

Clembasbal
08-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Lose the term, "EVER."

Beltran is the biggest fantasy bust ever!

TimoPerez
08-11-2005, 09:29 PM
Lose the term, "EVER."

Have you seen a more gruesome outfield collision? I don't know what went on before games were taped but this is one of the two nastiest collisions I have seen on tape. I thought it was the worst so that is why I wrote, "ever."

Like everyone else, I don't believe that it was appropriate to complain about a player's production when he just escaped a collision that could have easily ended his career.

ChiSoxGirl
08-11-2005, 10:45 PM
I just watched the video and got goosebumps watching that! It doesn't help that FSN New York showed a replay of it three times! Sure hope Cameron recovers soon!

Mercy!
08-11-2005, 11:26 PM
Lose the term, "EVER."

:hawk
"Your WHAT hurts?"

TimoPerez
08-11-2005, 11:48 PM
I just watched the video and got goosebumps watching that! It doesn't help that FSN New York showed a replay of it three times! Sure hope Cameron recovers soon!

The Mets' broadcasts are amazing. They show replays of every play from every angle. The producers are great and at Shea they get some camera angles that other teams could only dream of. That being said, I am surprised that they only showed the replay a couple of times. Right at the end of the last time they showed it one of the announcers said, "okay, that's enough." They didn't show it again.

ChiSoxGirl
08-11-2005, 11:54 PM
The Mets' broadcasts are amazing. They show replays of every play from every angle. The producers are great and at Shea they get some camera angles that other teams could only dream of. That being said, I am surprised that they only showed the replay a couple of times. Right at the end of the last time they showed it one of the announcers said, "okay, that's enough." They didn't show it again.

I heard that announcer say "okay, that's enough" and let me tell you, I was in complete agreement with him. That little disclaimer they had in parentheses next to the replay was right- "it's not for the faint of heart!"

TimoPerez
08-11-2005, 11:56 PM
I heard that announcer say "okay, that's enough" and let me tell you, I was in complete agreement with him. That little disclaimer they had in parentheses next to the replay was right- "it's not for the faint of heart!"

I said it at the same time that he said it!

StockdaleForVeep
08-12-2005, 12:59 AM
just a joke but what about that collision in the anahiem angels game when a guy lost his head!!!(referin to the scene in naked gun)

Soxzilla
08-12-2005, 01:00 AM
Lose the term, "EVER."

This has to be one of the worst, and most insensitive posts I've ever read. You should be ashamed.

Joosh
08-12-2005, 01:08 AM
This has to be one of the worst, and most insensitive posts I've ever read. You should be ashamed.

I agree. How bout I take a sledgehammer to your head and we'll see how you feel after that? That's close to what Cameron felt. Geez... People can amaze you every time.

Muopsies
08-12-2005, 01:35 AM
just a joke but what about that collision in the anahiem angels game when a guy lost his head!!!(referin to the scene in naked gun)

Mel Allen: "How about that?!" as Dick Enberg looks on shockingly

Nellie_Fox
08-12-2005, 01:54 AM
I heard that announcer say "okay, that's enough" and let me tell you, I was in complete agreement with him. That little disclaimer they had in parentheses next to the replay was right- "it's not for the faint of heart!"I had already seen it a couple of times when my wife joined me in the family room for the ten o'clock news. When sports came on, they showed it first at full speed. Then they started the slo-mo replay, and she said "I can't watch" and turned away.

buehrle4cy05
08-12-2005, 11:18 AM
This one ranks up there with the most gruesome plays in baseball history. I would put it behind the one where Kendall was running to first, slipped on the bag, and a bone literally popped out of his skin. Makes my foot hurt just thinking about it.

That being said, Cameron and Beltran are extremely lucky to come away with the injuries they got, Cameron especially. It could have been worse for Cameron, possibly ending his career, and at worse, he could have been paralyzed.

TimoPerez
08-12-2005, 03:13 PM
From Newsday.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/met...ports-headlines (http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spcameron0813,0,4955703.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines)

SAN DIEGO -- Further tests on Mike Cameron and Carlos Beltran revealed Friday that both are more seriously injured than previously thought, and the hospitalized outfielders are doubtful to rejoin the Mets anytime soon.

Cameron could be lost for the season after the Mets announced Friday that the fractures of both cheekbones he sustained in Thursday's collision with Beltran will require surgery. He also suffered a broken nose and a slight concussion, though a CT scan did not show any more severe damage to his brain.

Beltran was held overnight at Scripps Clinic in La Jolla and a CT scan indicated that he had suffered a minimally displaced facial fracture that the Mets said "most likely will not require surgery." The Mets centerfielder, who also sustained a concussion, was scheduled for more tests Friday.

maurice
08-12-2005, 04:15 PM
Two broken faces?!? That's nasty.

Get well soon, fellas.

itsnotrequired
08-12-2005, 06:46 PM
I just watched the collision for the first time on mlb.com. Nasty. Gives me the chills...