PDA

View Full Version : Garbage Time Players

na_na_na_na
08-11-2005, 01:56 PM
I was watching the late inning blow out of the Rangers by the Redsox last night and the ESPN announcers started talking about how the Redsox we're substituting in there "garbage time" players. And how at the end of games you are winning big you might put in the kickoff team on defense or let your center play point gaurd.

That got me thinking about the White Sox and how there really isn't anyone I consider garbage time(a guy who never gets meaningful playing time in a close situation). Even another serious contender like the Red Sox had a guy with like an 8 era to trot out of the bullpen. This is what makes our Sox special, even the bottom of our bench isn't a garbage player.

Am I wrong? Is there anyone on this team you would consider as a "Garbage Time Player"? Does anyone have any fond memories of past White Sox "Garbage Men" who might have been fan favorites?

Unregistered
08-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Jon Adkins?

The Dude
08-11-2005, 02:03 PM
Am I wrong? Is there anyone on this team you would consider as a "Garbage Time Player"?

Here's a garbage player for ya...even though he gets meaningful AB's and rarely comes through.
:timo:
"This just in....I SUCK!"

Rocky Soprano
08-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Timo Perez. Yes he has had some big hits, but 99.999 percent of the time he is garbage.

na_na_na_na
08-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Timo Perez. Yes he has had some big hits, but 99.999 percent of the time he is garbage.

funny ... but I'm talking about someone Ozzy would only play if we we're up 8 runs in the ninth.

Madvora
08-11-2005, 02:08 PM
Well, it used to be Shingo, but our closest guy to that would be Vizcaino right now.
I know what you mean though because even Willie Harris was getting more starting time then "garbage" guys on other teams. Adkins hasn't even had a chance yet to be considered in that role.

I think it's because we're never far ahead or far behind. Us or our opponents are always in these games, so whenever anyone gets in there, it's meaningful.

Baby Fisk
08-11-2005, 02:08 PM
Does anyone have any fond memories of past White Sox "Garbage Men" who might have been fan favorites?
Who could turn a 6-4 deficit into a 12-4 deficit in the blink of an eye? MIKE JACKSON!

The Dude
08-11-2005, 02:09 PM
funny ... but I'm talking about someone Ozzy would only play if we we're up 8 runs in the ninth.

Adkins is the only one i can think of. Viz also has been used in mop up work as well. Maybe Ozuna or Gload(when he was w/ the team)

na_na_na_na
08-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Jon Adkins?

Granted the guy isn't a top line pitcher but lets look at his career stats:
W L ERA
Totals 2 3 4.60

Not great but not garbage

Rocky Soprano
08-11-2005, 02:10 PM

Well Ozzie should ONLY play Timo if we are up 8 runs in the 9th inning.

Little Willie gets a vote too, well thats if he ever makes it back to the majors.

SoxyStu
08-11-2005, 02:10 PM
This team UP by 8 runs? It'll be a rarity.

SOXPHILE
08-11-2005, 02:13 PM
This is why I want them to clinch the division as soon as possible. Then, they can rest some of these guys, and use some the of September 1 call-ups more for garbage time, when the roster expands to 40. I'd especially like to see Hermanson get alot of rest with that back of his.

na_na_na_na
08-11-2005, 02:16 PM
I guess the point I'm making is that right now the team we have is probably who we go to the playoffs with. And on that team there isn't one player who we would only see in gabage time. Even our closest AL competitors have a guy like that. To me this is a really positive sign.

skottyj242
08-11-2005, 02:19 PM
Remember Rick White? What about Jose Paniagua?

fquaye149
08-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Well Ozzie should ONLY play Timo if we are up 8 runs in the 9th inning.

Little Willie gets a vote too, well thats if he ever makes it back to the majors.

damn, Kenny should have hired you back in 2004

DrummerGeorgefan
08-11-2005, 03:29 PM
If the lead was big enough and the right moves made pre-game, I'd love to see Ozzie, Rock, Cora, Walker and Baines go in. And let Man Soo Lee start the game.

SOXfnNlansing
08-11-2005, 04:52 PM
vizz the fizz

na_na_na_na
08-12-2005, 10:27 AM
Is Man Soo Lee eligable to play as the BP catcher. I really like that guy(he is always interacting with the fans in left field) and would love to see him in a game. Is it even possible?

fquaye149
08-12-2005, 10:32 AM
Is Man Soo Lee eligable to play as the BP catcher. I really like that guy(he is always interacting with the fans in left field) and would love to see him in a game. Is it even possible?

no. he is not on the twenty five man roster. he is not on the forty man roster. he is not on the infinity man roster. he can not play. nor can ozzie, harold, joey, or rock.

buehrle4cy05
08-12-2005, 11:20 AM
If the lead was big enough and the right moves made pre-game, I'd love to see Ozzie, Rock, Cora, Walker and Baines go in. And let Man Soo Lee start the game.

And they still could beat the Royals.

So.ILSoxFan
08-13-2005, 04:09 PM
:bkoch:
"I don't know about garbage time, but I was garbage"