PDA

View Full Version : September call ups

charlotteknights
08-11-2005, 01:49 PM
The strong rumor around the clubhouse is that McCarthy, Borchard, and Anderson will be the only ones called up by Chicago. None of the others seem to think that they will be moving up. The Sox also signed Jim Bullinger to a minor league contract and are sending Aceves back to Birmingham. Gload feels strongly that he won't be getting a call up. I would like to see them add Gload and Baj to their list. I was surprised to hear that they didn't mention Diaz or Munoz either.

CHIsoxNation
08-11-2005, 01:52 PM
I'm more surprised by who isn't getting called up then who is. I wish they would bring Gload up but I guess with Anderson and Borchard coming up you might not need an extra bat. And the fact that Blum is there probably has a lot to do with it.

Tekijawa
08-11-2005, 01:55 PM
Give Gio a taste... He'll want more!

He gone
08-11-2005, 02:17 PM
McCarthy, Anderson and Borchard are Understandable, but Gload and Bajenaru should be coming up too. I know it's been said 1,000 times, but I'd rather see Ross on the team then Timo Perez.

charlotteknights
08-11-2005, 02:18 PM
You're preaching to the choir here. I couldn't agree with you more.

maurice
08-11-2005, 02:45 PM
I'm 98% certain that they will call up Burke, if he stays healthy. Ozzie will want a guy who could be a 3rd catcher and would allow him to PH for Widger . . . or even DH Pierzynski. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Aceves demotion means that Burke will see plenty of action behind the plate in preparation for Sept.

If Gload doesn't get the callup, we'll know for certain that his extended stay at Charlotte was for personal reasons. I'm at a complete loss to explain why Baj is still in AAA and expect him to get traded to a team that will be very glad to have him in their MLB pen. The Sox can take their time with Diaz and Munoz.

As an aside, I'll be doing the Charlotte/Kannapolis/Winston-Salem/Birmingham tour late this month with Mrs. / Dr. Maurice. I'd appreciate any expert local input into "can't miss" stuff (aside from the obvious tourist stuff) I should do while I'm in these areas.

Tragg
08-11-2005, 03:10 PM
As an aside, I'll be doing the Charlotte/Kannapolis/Winston-Salem/Birmingham tour late this month with Mrs. / Dr. Maurice. I'd appreciate any expert local input into "can't miss" stuff (aside from the obvious tourist stuff) I should do while I'm in these areas.

What a wife! Game for a road trip to minor league parks.
You are blessed.

maurice
08-11-2005, 03:24 PM
What a wife!

I've been slowly training her over the past 15 years. When I met her, she was a fan of the cuddly blue corporation through her grandfather. She had a good time at minor-league parks in the past, and they make for relatively inexpensive weekend trips, compared to MLB prices. I tricked her into a MLB park tour last year by including some "romantic" elements. Then, I got her to go to Tucson by booking a trail ride through the Sonoran desert. (As a bonus, I got Mrs. / Lt. Deuce to go on the ride in my place.) I bought her off for the NC trip by including a full day in the Asheville area.

Ol' No. 2
08-11-2005, 03:30 PM
I've been slowly training her over the past 15 years. When I met her, she was a fan of the cuddly blue corporation through her grandfather. She had a good time at minor-league parks in the past, and they make for relatively inexpensive weekend trips, compared to MLB prices. I tricked her into a MLB park tour last year by including some "romantic" elements. Then, I got her to go to Tucson by booking a trail ride through the Sonoran desert. (As a bonus, I got Mrs. / Lt. Deuce to go on the ride in my place.) I bought her off for the NC trip by including a full day in the Asheville area.If she was a fan of the Cubs, she should feel right at home in a minor league park.:redneck

Tragg
08-11-2005, 03:33 PM
I've been slowly training her over the past 15 years. When I met her, she was a fan of the cuddly blue corporation through her grandfather. She had a good time at minor-league parks in the past, and they make for relatively inexpensive weekend trips, compared to MLB prices. I tricked her into a MLB park tour last year by including some "romantic" elements. Then, I got her to go to Tucson by booking a trail ride through the Sonoran desert. (As a bonus, I got Mrs. / Lt. Deuce to go on the ride in my place.) I bought her off for the NC trip by including a full day in the Asheville area.

I need to work on my skills.
We went to the mountains in Tennessee one time (which we both enjoy) and I thought it appropriate to take a little side trip to Nashville to watch the Sounds, who were at the time our AAA team. The price was 6 hours in Natchez Miss on the drive back touring antebellum homes. Ugh!

New Orleans is full of Cubby Blue. There's even a bar that has blue bleachers inside.

Ol' No. 2
08-11-2005, 03:46 PM
I'm 98% certain that they will call up Burke, if he stays healthy. Ozzie will want a guy who could be a 3rd catcher and would allow him to PH for Widger . . . or even DH Pierzynski. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Aceves demotion means that Burke will see plenty of action behind the plate in preparation for Sept.

If Gload doesn't get the callup, we'll know for certain that his extended stay at Charlotte was for personal reasons. I'm at a complete loss to explain why Baj is still in AAA and expect him to get traded to a team that will be very glad to have him in their MLB pen. The Sox can take their time with Diaz and Munoz.

As an aside, I'll be doing the Charlotte/Kannapolis/Winston-Salem/Birmingham tour late this month with Mrs. / Dr. Maurice. I'd appreciate any expert local input into "can't miss" stuff (aside from the obvious tourist stuff) I should do while I'm in these areas.Personal reasons? Do you know something you're not telling us?

charlotteknights
08-11-2005, 04:14 PM
I can speak from first hand knowledge that Ross is not down here because of personal reasons. Both he and his wife were very dissapointed that he was sent down. However, in Ross Gload fashion, he continues to play hard every day and is a great motivator for the club. He is very well respected by the players who firmly believe that "he makes things happen." As for Burke, I'm agreeing with you that he should be getting more playing time behind the plate, something that he feels very comfortable doing. He's such a great guy that I too, hope he gets called up in Sept. Not much has been said about any other call ups. But the excitement in minor leagues is seeing who gets the call up. I wish for the best for them all.

rowand33
08-11-2005, 04:30 PM
with Anderson and Borchard coming up...

how can Timo be on the team and Gload not on the team?!

I'm also amazed by Adkins over Baj.

Ol' No. 2
08-11-2005, 04:47 PM
I can speak from first hand knowledge that Ross is not down here because of personal reasons. Both he and his wife were very dissapointed that he was sent down. However, in Ross Gload fashion, he continues to play hard every day and is a great motivator for the club. He is very well respected by the players who firmly believe that "he makes things happen." As for Burke, I'm agreeing with you that he should be getting more playing time behind the plate, something that he feels very comfortable doing. He's such a great guy that I too, hope he gets called up in Sept. Not much has been said about any other call ups. But the excitement in minor leagues is seeing who gets the call up. I wish for the best for them all.I'd bet he will be called up before Sept 1. There's no need to carry 12 pitchers on a playoff roster, but the extra LH bat would be most helpful. It's nice that Blum can play all 4 IF positions, but he can't hit a lick.

Mercy!
08-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Ditto to almost everything posted here (including the analysis of Mrs. Maurice:smile: ).

I’m just really looking forward to the call-ups, since I think that we’ll get to see them play quite a bit - given Ozzie’s predilection for taking extended looks at minor leaguers, and given the team’s big lead in the Central.

maurice
08-11-2005, 05:30 PM
I am absolutely not implying anything about Gload's personal life. What I meant by "personal" is that the motivation apparently is not performanced-based. Gload's performance over the past 2 years clearly dictates that he and Baj deserve a spot on the 25-man roster over Guillen's close personal friends (read: Perez and Adkins). Come Sept., their performance absolutely dictates that they should have a spot on the expanded active roster.

rdivaldi
08-11-2005, 05:30 PM
While I know most of you want Baj to be called up and be used as a late inning reliever, I am of the opinion that he's a AAAA pitcher. The guy really is a poor man's Matt Ginter. Slightly above average fastball with a slider that will get minor leaguers out, but major leaguers will more than likely crush. Adkins is the better choice for the roster IMO.

I appreciate the great job he's done in AAA, but until we clinch I'd keep him down there.

maurice
08-11-2005, 05:32 PM
If Baj has AAAA stuff, what do you call Adkins' stuff? Adkins can't even get AAA hitters out on a regular basis.

Nobody's saying that Baj should replace Politte, but Baj definitely deserves an extended look with some MLB team. His minor-league performance and, yes, even his "stuff" > the crap pitching in most bullpens.

rdivaldi
08-12-2005, 09:02 AM
If Baj has AAAA stuff, what do you call Adkins' stuff? Adkins can't even get AAA hitters out on a regular basis.

Nobody's saying that Baj should replace Politte, but Baj definitely deserves an extended look with some MLB team. His minor-league performance and, yes, even his "stuff" > the crap pitching in most bullpens.

I like the way Adkins goes after hitters, and his stuff is basically as good or better than Baj's IMO. I also think Adkins pitches have more movement on them, which gives him a significant advantage.

Baj nibbles at the corners with a slightly above average fastball and gets guys out with mediocre breaking stuff. I just see Baj getting crushed by major leaguers until he learns to go after guys more. They're not going to swing at his breaking stuff off the plate, and they're going to pound his fastball if he throws it in the zone.

It's not a popular opinion, but that's just the way I see it for the time being.

maurice
08-12-2005, 01:27 PM
I like the way Adkins goes after hitters

You mean by throwing strikes or something else about his approach? It's true that Adkins throws strikes, but the strikes are hit hard and often. Plus, it's not like Baj walks a batter per inning.

his stuff is basically as good or better than Baj's IMO. I also think Adkins pitches have more movement on them, which gives him a significant advantage.

I have to disagree. Adkins throws fairly hard but has very little movement on his pitches. That's why he gives up so many hits while K'ing so few. Remember, in Adkins, we're talking about a player who never had any real success at any high level (AA, AAA, or MLB). In fact, he's actually regressed from his previous, mediocre performance.

What I see or what you see is pretty subjective, so let's look at the most relevant objective evidence. They played in the same league and faced the same hitters almost all of this year. During that time, Baj posted the following outstanding numbers which IMO reflect good "stuff": 10.7 K/9, .175 BAA, and only 3 HR allowed in an extreme hitter's park. I might be willing to dismiss these numbers on account of "bad hitters" if they were low-A-ball numbers, but that's not the case. Facing the very same hitters, Adkins' numbers were significantly worse across the board. This can't be a coincidence. It must reflect "stuff."

I really don't think your opinion is that unpopular. I just don't see the basis in the numbers or my own observations (I've seen both guys pitch as recently as this year).

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2005, 02:26 PM
You mean by throwing strikes or something else about his approach? It's true that Adkins throws strikes, but the strikes are hit hard and often. Plus, it's not like Baj walks a batter per inning.

I have to disagree. Adkins throws fairly hard but has very little movement on his pitches. That's why he gives up so many hits while K'ing so few. Remember, in Adkins, we're talking about a player who never had any real success at any high level (AA, AAA, or MLB). In fact, he's actually regressed from his previous, mediocre performance.

What I see or what you see is pretty subjective, so let's look at the most relevant objective evidence. They played in the same league and faced the same hitters almost all of this year. During that time, Baj posted the following outstanding numbers which IMO reflect good "stuff": 10.7 K/9, .175 BAA, and only 3 HR allowed in an extreme hitter's park. I might be willing to dismiss these numbers on account of "bad hitters" if they were low-A-ball numbers, but that's not the case. Facing the very same hitters, Adkins' numbers were significantly worse across the board. This can't be a coincidence. It must reflect "stuff."

I really don't think your opinion is that unpopular. I just don't see the basis in the numbers or my own observations (I've seen both guys pitch as recently as this year).Isn't there an element of apples and oranges here? Adkins was a starter in AAA while Bajenaru was a reliever. That's almost like comparing defensive stats between players at two different positions. Sure, they both have to get hitters out. But it's different when you have to pace yourself to go 6+ innings than if you know you're just there for one.

maurice
08-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Isn't there an element of apples and oranges here? Adkins was a starter in AAA while Bajenaru was a reliever. That's almost like comparing defensive stats between players at two different positions. Sure, they both have to get hitters out. But it's different when you have to pace yourself to go 6+ innings than if you know you're just there for one.

Maybe, but the difference in the numbers is huge.

Let's compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Baj has been one of the very best relievers at the highest minor-league levels for a while now. Adkins hasn't been better than mediocre as a starter at AAA and AA, and sometimes has been really, really bad (especially this year). He also has been outpitched by some of his fellow Knights' starters, even though their starting staff has been pretty damn weak overall. Even projected reliever Arnie Munoz has been much more effective as a starter than Adkins has been this season. Heck, (IIRC) Josh Freaking Stewart outpitched Adkins, and he got shipped off to Japan, while Adkins gets a callup.

I guess my bottom line is that Adkins is far worse than everybody else on our staff and can't even get AAA batters out, yet he gets chance after chance -- probably because Ozzie likes his personality and/or because KW traded Ray Durham for him. Meanwhile, Baj has done absolutely everything asked of him and excelled as a closer for the past 3 years or so, and has yet to receive an extended look. That's really unfair. Plenty of other relievers have received similar treatment from the Sox and went on to have solid pro careers. IMHO, Baj is the most eggregious example and deserves an opportunity somewhere -- certainly ahead of batting practice pitchers like Adkins.

I feel pretty much the same way about Perez v. Gload.

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2005, 03:17 PM

Let's compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Baj has been one of the very best relievers at the highest minor-league levels for a while now. Adkins hasn't been better than mediocre as a starter at AAA and AA, and sometimes has been really, really bad (especially this year). He also has been outpitched by some of his fellow Knights' starters, even though their starting staff has been pretty damn weak overall. Even projected reliever Arnie Munoz has been much more effective as a starter than Adkins has been this season. Heck, (IIRC) Josh Freaking Stewart outpitched Adkins, and he got shipped off to Japan, while Adkins gets a callup.

I guess my bottom line is that Adkins is far worse than everybody else on our staff and can't even get AAA batters out, yet he gets chance after chance -- probably because Ozzie likes his personality and/or because KW traded Ray Durham for him. Meanwhile, Baj has done absolutely everything asked of him and excelled as a closer for the past 3 years or so, and has yet to receive an extended look. That's really unfair. Plenty of other relievers have received similar treatment from the Sox and went on to have solid pro careers. IMHO, Baj is the most eggregious example and deserves an opportunity somewhere -- certainly ahead of batting practice pitchers like Adkins.

I feel pretty much the same way about Perez v. Gload.I can't disagree. If it was my choice, I'd have gone with Bajenaru, too. Maybe it's the devil they know vs. the devil they don't know. Adkins was at least modestly effective last season, while they really don't know how Bajenaru will perform at the major league level. But IMO, they should have given him a shot earlier in the season. It's getting too close to Sept 1 now to be experimenting. It's probably moot, since Adkins won't be on the playoff roster anyway.

And I've tried to give Perez the benefit of the doubt, but enough is enough already. About the only thing good I can say about him is that he can put the ball in play, so he does have value as a pinch hitter. He does have knack for making things happen in those situations. But it's not worth a roster spot. Bring up Gload.

chaerulez
08-12-2005, 04:30 PM
The strong rumor around the clubhouse is that McCarthy, Borchard, and Anderson will be the only ones called up by Chicago. None of the others seem to think that they will be moving up. The Sox also signed Jim Bullinger to a minor league contract and are sending Aceves back to Birmingham. Gload feels strongly that he won't be getting a call up. I would like to see them add Gload and Baj to their list. I was surprised to hear that they didn't mention Diaz or Munoz either.

While I agree with those 3 as the ones that will be called up. I don't see why Harris or Gload wouldn't be brought up as well. Harris could be strictly a pinch runner and Gload can play 1B in games that Blum is already in at 3B or SS.

nodiggity59
08-12-2005, 05:14 PM

I feel pretty much the same way about Perez v. Gload.

Um, Gagne has awful #s as a starter. I feel like there's minimal difference between the 2 either way, though Baj IMO haas a slight edge. But for this time and this team adkins is better cause he can eat more innings, which is what we need.

maurice
08-12-2005, 06:20 PM
I can't believe somebody just compared Jon "BP" Adkins to Eric "50 Saves A Season" Gagne. Gagne was a failed MLB starter. He was a very good starter in AAA and AA, posting a sub-3.00 ERA and a great K/9 (like Baj). Adkins, OTOH, failed as a minor-league starter. He has a cumulative ERA near 5 in AAA and AA, and way fewer Ks than IP.

Ozzie's "innings" argument is BS, as evidenced by Adkins' grand total of 1 IP and the fact that the Sox pen has pitched the fewest innings in MLB, IIRC. The only problem with our outstanding BP is Ozzie's nonsensical insistance on going lefty-righty-lefty-righty for no apparent reason.

1stPlaceWhiteSox
08-13-2005, 04:20 AM
I can't wait to see Joe Bro (Borchard) again. I miss his 510 foot concourse rocket shots and that .180 batting average. I saw that homerun during a rain delay segment on CSN. The right fielder needed a visa to catch that ball.

rdivaldi
08-13-2005, 05:08 PM
I can't dispute the numbers between Adkins and Baj, I'm going on my observations only. I just don't like the way Baj throws the ball. His fastball is ok, he nibbles an awful lot, and his breaking stuff is pretty flat. I just can't project him being effective at the major league level. Adkins has had success at the major league level, and as mentioned before, has the stamina to go more than 1 or 2 innings.

I think it was the correct move to bring him up.

TaylorStSox
08-14-2005, 03:25 PM
with Anderson and Borchard coming up...

how can Timo be on the team and Gload not on the team?!

I'm also amazed by Adkins over Baj.

Adkins over Baj was a no brainer. The team wanted somebody that could go long and eat innings. We're in the dog days now. Pitchers are tired. We're facing some offensive power houses and the chance of our pitchers going more than 6 innings is slim.

maurice
08-15-2005, 12:20 PM
The team wanted somebody that could go long and eat innings.

Yes, that's what Ozzie said. The problem is that he is and was wrong. Adkins' alleged inning-eating ability was (1) not needed and (2) not used. You can not successfully argue that Baj is incapable of pitching a grand total of 3.2 innings in 2 weeks. Moreover, at least one other player would have been much more valuable during this period than Adkins. Remember, Perez started 6 games for the Sox during this time (going 3-22 and often batting 5th), while Gload raked in the minors and Adkins sat on his ass in the pen spitting seeds.

More likely, Ozzie wanted to promote his buddy and to avoid embarrassing himself again by running out of relievers, because he pitched Cotts and Politte for .1 inning each in the 7th inning again.

:angry: