PDA

View Full Version : Should SOX open the park for road playoff games

tacosalbarojas
08-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Okay, I know this has been done before, but what does everyone think about opening the park and showing the road games on the jumbotron? The potential of bad weather might discourage the SOX if they were ever to consider such a venture, but it might be a nice way for SOX fans to have fellowship for playoff games.

rowand33
08-11-2005, 01:02 PM
Okay, I know this has been done before, but what does everyone think about opening the park and showing the road games on the jumbotron? The potential of bad weather might discourage the SOX if they were ever to consider such a venture, but it might be a nice way for SOX fans to have fellowship for playoff games.

they should.

Personally, I wouldn't go.

I'm gonna try to get playoff tickets, but I think campus will be real fun during the playoffs and I look forward to hitting the bars after every Sox win.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-11-2005, 01:04 PM
I would prefer they do the Allstate Arena or United Center because of the weather element. The key is getting together with like minded people. Imagine how loud we could get a place with a roof, could be cool! And they wouldn't get as many people as you think. Getting 15,000 to the Cell may look embarrassing on the news reports, where 15,000 at the Allstate jams it to the rafters.

Tekijawa
08-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Getting 15,000 to the Cell may look embarrassing on the news reports...

I actually Preferr Comiskey that way!

The Dude
08-11-2005, 01:20 PM
I say, email Brooks with this suggestion. It might end up happening.

Ol' No. 2
08-11-2005, 01:22 PM
I say, email Brooks with this suggestion. It might end up happening.I emailed my rep a few weeks ago suggesting that they do this for the clinching game if it's on the road. He thought it was a good idea and kicked it up to his boss. We'll see what happens.

JohnBasedowYoda
08-11-2005, 01:24 PM
i'd go for road playoff games! just as long as seats are way discounted.

the game would sound awesome on the cell's pa system; maybe nancy can play during commercial breaks!

C-Dawg
08-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Getting 15,000 to the Cell may look embarrassing on the news reports.

And you can bet the headline in the Cubune the next day would be:

THOUSANDS OF EMPTY SEATS AT SOX PARK FOR PLAYOFFS

ATTENDANCE WOES CONTINUE

OH, DID WE MENTION ITS AN "AWAY" GAME?

CHIsoxNation
08-11-2005, 01:34 PM
I would be all for this. I think it would be a great time. I wonder how much they would charge or if they would have vendors there.

SaltyPretzel
08-11-2005, 01:42 PM
One a smaller scale, they could open up the Bullpen Bar.

na_na_na_na
08-11-2005, 01:59 PM
I think that opening it and giving the Gate to White Sox Charities would be a winning Idea.

he_gone_89
08-11-2005, 02:09 PM
I would prefer they do the Allstate Arena or United Center because of the weather element. The key is getting together with like minded people. Imagine how loud we could get a place with a roof, could be cool! And they wouldn't get as many people as you think. Getting 15,000 to the Cell may look embarrassing on the news reports, where 15,000 at the Allstate jams it to the rafters.

It's a great idea,but they may conflict with the Wolves/Hawks game

The cell would work because I would think that more than 15,000 people would show up,especially if we go into the world series.

34 Inch Stick
08-11-2005, 04:38 PM
I think it would be great if they made they put a huge screen in the parking lot along with concessions and opened that up for a congregation. There is too much trouble with opening the whole stadium for likely less than 5,000 people.

putherawaywet
08-11-2005, 04:45 PM
that would be great - they could make some loot on the concessions as well (sold at a discount of course)

MarySwiss
08-11-2005, 05:09 PM
They did this in Arizona in 2001: Set up a Jumbotron in the plaza outside Bank One Ballpark. Not sure if they did it all the way through the playoffs, but at least during the World Series, including--IIRC--the last two home games, 6 & 7.

And it was awesome! Happy fans cheering in the plaza. The local news stations ate it up, although I don't remember seeing any coverage of it on national TV. (But, after all, the D'Backs were playing the Yanks, so what would you expect?)

Of course, the weather out here is a little more predictable, but I would venture to say that if Sox management did something similar, White Sox Army wouldn't care if it was 10 below, with freezing rain! And can you--in your wildest dreams--imagine Cubs management doing something similar? Not that they will ever have the chance.

Ol' No. 2
08-11-2005, 05:12 PM
They did this in Arizona in 2001: Set up a Jumbotron in the plaza outside Bank One Ballpark. Not sure if they did it all the way through the playoffs, but at least during the World Series, including--IIRC--the last two home games, 6 & 7.

And it was awesome! Happy fans cheering in the plaza. The local news stations ate it up, although I don't remember seeing any coverage of it on national TV. (But, after all, the D'Backs were playing the Yanks, so what would you expect?)

Of course, the weather out here is a little more predictable, but I would venture to say that if Sox management did something similar, White Sox Army wouldn't care if it was 10 below, with freezing rain! And can you--in your wildest dreams--imagine Cubs management doing something similar? Not that they will ever have the chance.I can see Cubs management doing this. They could do it this year, in fact. They'd just show tape of the 2003 playoffs and none of the fans would know the difference. They'd think the Cubs were in the playoffs.

MarySwiss
08-11-2005, 05:16 PM
I can see Cubs management doing this. They could do it this year, in fact. They'd just show tape of the 2003 playoffs and none of the fans would know the difference. They'd think the Cubs were in the playoffs.

:rolling:

Never thought of that, Nellie. Let's hope no one in their org reads your post!

UofCSoxFan
08-11-2005, 05:20 PM
They've done this a lot in hockey and the NBA...usually they don't charge anything, but make money off beer/food sales. Seating is typically on a first come first serve basis, although it really isn't an issue. I for one would much rather watch from home or at a bar.

Sargeant79
08-11-2005, 05:27 PM
I think it's a great idea to do something like that, and it makes sense for the Sox from a financial standpoint as well. It's a chance to actually make money on ticket sales and concession sales while the team is on the road. I would definitely attend, even if it was outside at the Cell on a 45 degree evening, as long as the tickets are only in the $5-$10 range.

MarySwiss
08-11-2005, 05:29 PM
I for one would much rather watch from home or at a bar.

Normally, that would be true for me as well. But damn, Sox in the WS? You want to be sure you're among like-minded souls...the last thing a Sox fan would want is to be in a bar and hear some Flubs fan yahoo saying that the only reason the Sox are there is because the Flubs weren't. Could get ugly in a hurry!

Imagine actually being there, even if only outside. SOX WIN!, the roar erupts, and the fireworks go off for who-knows-how-long? This would be HEAVEN!

MarySwiss
08-11-2005, 05:34 PM
I think it's a great idea to do something like that, and it makes sense for the Sox from a financial standpoint as well. It's a chance to actually make money on ticket sales and concession sales while the team is on the road. I would definitely attend, even if it was outside at the Cell on a 45 degree evening, as long as the tickets are only in the $5-$10 range.

When they did it here (outside), there was no charge. It was a goodwill PR gesture.

DumpJerry
08-11-2005, 05:37 PM
I've been thinking lately this would be a great idea (unless you're stuck in the outfield of Third base line past Third).

I think if we have any home World Series games with three victories under belt, they should have the radio broadcast on speakers in Armour Square Park. That would be tooooooooo sweet.:D:

Sargeant79
08-11-2005, 05:38 PM
When they did it here (outside), there was no charge. It was a goodwill PR gesture.

That would be great, if that was the case. It would definitely be a nice goodwill gesture, and they could still sell concessions to make money and justify the expense of the extra personnel needed to operate things.

Ol' No. 2
08-11-2005, 05:38 PM
I've been thinking lately this would be a great idea (unless you're stuck in the outfield of Third base line past Third).

I think if we have any home World Series games with three victories under belt, they should have the radio broadcast on speakers in Armour Square Park. That would be tooooooooo sweet.:D:Don't forget the air-raid sirens.:cool:

DumpJerry
08-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Don't forget the air-raid sirens.:cool:
That is the city's job. I'm picturing that taking place, too. Scare the (daylights) out of the Northsiders.

Chips
08-11-2005, 05:45 PM
I think I'd rather watch the game at home, but I would think about watching from the Cell. I think its a good idea and they should do it.

MarySwiss
08-11-2005, 05:49 PM
That would be great, if that was the case. It would definitely be a nice goodwill gesture, and they could still sell concessions to make money and justify the expense of the extra personnel needed to operate things.

Absolutely! It would be a terrific goodwill gesture.

I apologize for once again being optimistic, but I actually--oh I don't know--BELIEVE Jerry Reinsdorf when he says he wants a World Series ring.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Dark Clouds, I know we're not there yet, but WHEN--not if--we are, I truly believe Sox management will make it special. After all, it's not like they're Flubs management. And another thing they're not is stupid; they will realize they've been handed a golden opportunity to reclaim the love of the city. Unlike the 2003 Flubs, they will not blow it.

Ah, yes! Guess we'll have to just sit back, cinch it up, hunker down, and wait!

JohnBasedowYoda
08-11-2005, 06:01 PM

I think if we have any home World Series games with three victories under belt, they should have the radio broadcast on speakers in Armour Square Park. That would be tooooooooo sweet.:D:

why armour square? they could do it at that new theater at northerly island or maybe grant park. they already have free movie night on tuesday after all....

Stroker Ace
08-11-2005, 06:50 PM
I would prefer they do the Allstate Arena or United Center because of the weather element. The key is getting together with like minded people. Imagine how loud we could get a place with a roof, could be cool! And they wouldn't get as many people as you think. Getting 15,000 to the Cell may look embarrassing on the news reports, where 15,000 at the Allstate jams it to the rafters.Yeah, and imagine the noise when the Sox win!!!!

itsnotrequired
08-11-2005, 06:57 PM

$5 is the most I would pay to see a game at The Cell on the Jumbotron. Hopefully, they will show some Sox playoff games at the Brew & View. I went there for a couple of the Cubs playoff games in 2003 and it was great. Free admission and a full bar with theater-style seating. Good times. I know a lot of the staff are Sox fans so this could be a realistic possibility.

They also showed the Packers-Bears MNF games there. Another good time.

ShoelessJoeS
08-11-2005, 07:44 PM
they should.

Personally, I wouldn't go.

I'm gonna try to get playoff tickets, but I think campus will be real fun during the playoffs and I look forward to hitting the bars after every Sox win.
I know, I can't wait...time for redemption from 2003

rowand33
08-11-2005, 07:59 PM
I know, I can't wait...time for redemption from 2003

oh I know.

I'm sure all the same people that cheered for the Cubs in 2003 will be cheering for us this year. :rolleyes:

fair weathers or not, campus is a lot of fun during this sort of thing. I'll never forget how awesome the final four game was down at U of I.

the only bad thing is, if we lose, I'll be so unbelievably bummed out and it'll ruin my night just like the Illini loss did.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-11-2005, 08:40 PM
Don't forget the air-raid sirens.:cool:

God, if Daley wants to get re-elected in a cake walk, he better blast them if the WS comes back to the South Side.

I want Mags back
08-11-2005, 09:11 PM

Oh yeah... were gonna drive all the way to Rosemont watch the game on TV. The UC id could see, cause Reinsdorf is a part owner, but Allstate would never happen. I say do it at the sell. It wont look to embarrassing as long as everyone is toghether and not scatttered thoughtout the park

jenmcm76
08-11-2005, 10:39 PM
fair weathers or not, campus is a lot of fun during this sort of thing. I'll never forget how awesome the final four game was down at U of I.

Maybe an organized get-together in campustown? I missed the one on opening day (went to the game in person)....

RedPinStripes
08-11-2005, 11:34 PM
I'd go. It's a win-win situation for the Sox business wise. i can't see how they'd lose money if they charged 5.00 to get in and sold beer and food.

skottyj242
08-12-2005, 09:47 AM
I would go to at least one game at Comiskey, I would actually pay up to sit at the picnic tables in the Fan Deck, especially if we had a waiter/waitress. I think it would be hard though justifying $5.50 for a pop during a road game though.

pinwheels3530
08-12-2005, 01:11 PM
This is a great idea. Didn't the Bulls do this at the United Center when they played on the road in the NBA Finals?

Jerko
08-12-2005, 01:38 PM
I would go to at least one game at Comiskey, I would actually pay up to sit at the picnic tables in the Fan Deck, especially if we had a waiter/waitress. I think it would be hard though justifying $5.50 for a pop during a road game though.

Therein lies the problem. People want all the amenities of a regular game but at a lesser price. That is fine, but if the Sox have to pay people to work those nights slinging food and beer, I'd expect to pay normal, home game prices. I think we had this discussion on WSI months ago as to why they don't keep the bullpen bar open year-round.

cubhater
08-12-2005, 04:14 PM
I'd go as long as they don't cut off beer sales after the seventh innning. After all, I want a cold one in my hand as I toast a World Series winner!:gulp:

chisoxfanatic
08-12-2005, 04:38 PM
Do you think they could put simulated robots out on the field that move to every play of every player so that we can see a simulated real game live?

bigfoot
08-12-2005, 04:53 PM
I can see Cubs management doing this. They could do it this year, in fact. They'd just show tape of the 2003 playoffs and none of the fans would know the difference. They'd think the Cubs were in the playoffs.

#2~I'm struggling to imagine how the CubCorp would show any away game at the Urinal. Is it possible to have everyone call a server line with their cellphones and be able to watch a game that way? Or would there be flipcards in the outfield scoreboard?

Teal is too understated for this poo!:rolleyes:

ewokpelts
08-12-2005, 05:32 PM
the bulls did this in the jordan 2 era......i think tix were 10 bucks....had the luvabulls, benny, and all thier normal activities going on during commercial breaks...sold out completely....to see footage of it, watch jordan to the max right near the end

Gene

p.s. I'd go if it were at the cell or the uc

Ol' No. 2
08-18-2005, 09:37 AM
#2~I'm struggling to imagine how the CubCorp would show any away game at the Urinal. Is it possible to have everyone call a server line with their cellphones and be able to watch a game that way? Or would there be flipcards in the outfield scoreboard?

Teal is too understated for this poo!:rolleyes:Watch the game? Have you forgotten who we're talking about?

peeonwrigley
08-18-2005, 10:34 AM
Watch the game? Have you forgotten who we're talking about?

All they have to do is open Wrigley. That is all that matters. They could tell them the Cubs will be there, charge $50 a head to get in and kick them out 4 hours later and they'd all be happy as a pig in poop.