PDA

View Full Version : Selig speaks

Fenway
08-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Selig went to the Boston Globe to counter the Herald steriod story.

Meanwhile on WEEI both Gammons and Bryant think Bud is not telling the truth.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2005/08/11/seligs_resolve_has_been_put_to_the_test?mode=PF

Selig's resolve has been put to the test

By Dan Shaughnessy, Globe Columnist | August 11, 2005

These haven't been the best couple of days for baseball commissioner Bud Selig.

First, boorish Kenny Rogers had his 20-game suspension reduced to 13 games and was allowed to take the mound at Fenway Park last night. Tonight, disgraced slugger Rafael Palmeiro returns to action in Baltimore. And then there was a Boston Herald report citing unnamed sources who claimed that another 50 or more players had tested positive for steroids.

Last things first: The Commissioner isn't buying the explosive Herald story.

''There's only one player that I know about," Selig said yesterday. ''It's a young player and there's a question about him, and other than that there is no evidence that there is anybody else. I have no idea where that report is coming from. Nor does [Major League Baseball lawyer] Rob [Manfred], nor does anybody else. There's only the potential of one more guy that I've been told about and that's going through the grievance process. There's no way anybody could know about anyone else. I don't believe it."

Jaffar
08-11-2005, 01:56 PM
This is getting interesting, the fact that MLB issued a press release and now Bud Light is speaking about makes you wonder why they are being so defensive. Don't they normally just ignore such allegations?

Madvora
08-11-2005, 02:01 PM
I can't imagine that he's totally lying, because if 50 people's names were about to come out, then he wouldn't be up there saying this. He would say something about privacy and how their system works and crap like that.
Maybe a few people have been busted, but who knows how these rumors get started.

Fenway
08-11-2005, 02:27 PM
This is getting interesting, the fact that MLB issued a press release and now Bud Light is speaking about makes you wonder why they are being so defensive. Don't they normally just ignore such allegations?

PR is not a strong point for MLB

Example, you don't buy a full page ad in USAToday to honor a player you know is going down.

The truth sits at that lab in Quebec and if anything is amiss, you can bet the farm that Richard Pound will let the world know about it.

Chips
08-11-2005, 07:11 PM
50 players, thats a lot of guys out there. I wonder how true it is. I wonder if any other Oriole sluggers are positive.