PDA

View Full Version : Chip Caray sounding a bit Santo-like?

Whitesox029
08-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Watch MLB.com's FastCast recap of the highlights from 8/10. In the 12th of the Braves-Giants game, Chip Caray can be heard yelling at Wilson Betemit to "c'mon! c'mon!" in a rather Santo-like way. He was never like that on Cubs broadcasts, which makes me think he's more a Braves fan than he ever was a Cubs fan.

Also, I'll be in Germany Aug 12-22, so this is my last post until the 22nd unless I come upon an internet cafe there...hope I can find one for Sox news or I'll have to be phoning the states daily...

jdm2662
08-11-2005, 12:05 PM
I'm willing to bet he grew up a Braves fan since his father announced the Braves.

kcsportscaster
08-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Watch MLB.com's FastCast recap of the highlights from 8/10. In the 12th of the Braves-Giants game, Chip Caray can be heard yelling at Wilson Betemit to "c'mon! c'mon!" in a rather Santo-like way. He was never like that on Cubs broadcasts, which makes me think he's more a Braves fan than he ever was a Cubs fan.

Also, I'll be in Germany Aug 12-22, so this is my last post until the 22nd unless I come upon an internet cafe there...hope I can find one for Sox news or I'll have to be phoning the states daily...

Uhh, Chip Caray wasn't working the Braves game last night on either FSN-South or the Braves Radio Network. Wimpy was working the FSN-South telecast along with Bob Rathbun, and I believe it was Wimpy who was yelling at Wilson Betemit to "come on, come on" as he scored the winning run on Marcus Giles' game winning single.

Chip Caray does sound a bit more intelligent this year with the Braves crew on TBS, Turner South, and Braves Radio in his first year back than he ever did in his seven years with the Flubs crew.

jdm2662
08-11-2005, 12:12 PM
I think the Cubune had a lot to do with how he annoucned. If you ever listened to him being interviewed, he sounds like a normal person and he knew his baseball. He also sounded normal when he did games on Fox. The Cubune must have an effect on people.

Baby Fisk
08-11-2005, 12:13 PM
Chip Caray does sound a bit more intelligent this year with the Braves crew on TBS, Turner South, and Braves Radio in his first year back than he ever did in his seven years with the Flubs crew.
Agreed. I've watched a couple of Braves games this year. Chip can still be a monkey at times, but this year he's not nearly as ridiculous as when he was calling games for the Cubs. Something about the Cubs reduces people's brains to mush...

Optipessimism
08-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Chip's probably just loving the opportunity to watch a real baseball team play. I can't say I blame him either. He probably forgot that winning is more important than who sings Take Me Out to the Ballgame, and he probably didn't even know that somebody actually counts the number of wins at the end of the year, and if your team has enough of them they can go to the playoffs. He probably thought 2003 was Octoberfest and figured that as long as people kept showing up to drink then there would still be a bunch of guys on the field dressed in ugly uniforms and bobbling balls.

PaulDrake
08-11-2005, 03:31 PM
I think the Cubune had a lot to do with how he annoucned. If you ever listened to him being interviewed, he sounds like a normal person and he knew his baseball. He also sounded normal when he did games on Fox. The Cubune must have an effect on people. I agree and posted something similar in another thread. The Braves have a good broadcast team and Chip is holding his own. Getting away from the cubs was the best thing that ever happened to him. I still can't believe some crybabies on the north side made Chip and Stone feel compelled to leave. Who said there's no crying in baseball? What a thoroughly atrocious organization.

chaerulez
08-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Uhh, Chip Caray wasn't working the Braves game last night on either FSN-South or the Braves Radio Network. Wimpy was working the FSN-South telecast along with Bob Rathbun, and I believe it was Wimpy who was yelling at Wilson Betemit to "come on, come on" as he scored the winning run on Marcus Giles' game winning single.

When does Chip do Braves games? I've noticed he's sumetimes on the TBS broadcasts and sometimes he's not. Do the Braves have a rotation of commentators similar to the year Steve Stone was gone from the Cubs and they had Dave Otto, Joe Carter, and Randy Hundley (he was worse than Santo if that's possible)?

kcsportscaster
08-11-2005, 06:14 PM
When does Chip do Braves games? I've noticed he's sumetimes on the TBS broadcasts and sometimes he's not. Do the Braves have a rotation of commentators similar to the year Steve Stone was gone from the Cubs and they had Dave Otto, Joe Carter, and Randy Hundley (he was worse than Santo if that's possible)?

Chip Caray works around three to four games a week among TBS, Turner South, and Braves Radio, now heard in Atlanta on WGST 640 AM and WKLS 96.1 FM (96 Rock), usually paired with either his dad, Skip Caray, Joe Simpson, or Don Sutton, and is joined by former Braves outfielder Ron Gant on the TBS "Xtra" telecasts.

In addition to that, there are some occasions during the season when Skip wouldn't make every road trip and Chip would work in his place. There are some suggestions on a couple of Braves message boards that Skip will retire in a couple of years and that Turner Sports is grooming Chip to take Skip's place permanently when he does retire.

He is not working the series with the Giants at Turner Field this week, which concludes tonight at 6:30 Central on TBS, BTW. Tuesday night, Skip Caray was paired with Joe Simpson on the Turner South telecast while Pete Van Wieren was paired with Don Sutton on Braves Radio. Last night with FSN-South televising the game, Wimpy was working with Bob Rathbun, who is a Fox employee also working Atlanta Hawks and college football, baseball, and basketball telecasts for FSN-South, while Van Wieren and Sutton were on Braves Radio. Skip Caray and Simpson, and Chip for that matter, were all off last night.

Here is the announcer bio page from atlantabraves.com:

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/broadcasters.jsp?c_id=atl

Got all of that???? Good.

Chips
08-11-2005, 06:50 PM
I think the Cubune had a lot to do with how he annoucned. If you ever listened to him being interviewed, he sounds like a normal person and he knew his baseball. He also sounded normal when he did games on Fox. The Cubune must have an effect on people.

I totally agree, Chip sounds intelligent with the Braves. With the Flubs he was a babbling moron.

He really pissed me of when he announced "HE GONE" after a strike out last year when the Scrubs beat us one game.

robertks61
08-11-2005, 06:57 PM
I've heard somewhere that Chip is a big Cardinal fan. I don't remember the source though.

bigfoot
08-12-2005, 06:39 AM
Chip will have to brush up on his mis-pronuciations if he wishes to enter the Santo Wing of the Broadcasters Hall of Fame. And a bit more useless info about the various differences between The Addams Family and The Munsters. Santo, "Are they the same?":rolleyes: