PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Sox brawl

HChappasJr
08-11-2005, 11:39 AM
The Sox haven't had a good bench-clearing brawl in a while. I think the last was vs. Detroit in 2000. What is your favorite bench-clearing brawl involving the Sox? I think mine is from 1980 when Al Cowens, of the Tigers, grounded out to short and instead of running to first, he charged Ed Farmer on the mound. That was pretty cool.

Railsplitter
08-11-2005, 11:42 AM
1975 vs. Royals, at KC. The Royal's Freddie Patek took umbrage at being tagged hard when caught stealing second base and duked it out.

skottyj242
08-11-2005, 11:44 AM
2000 by far just because I was there. I remember going the next day which was Easter Sunday just to see if anything would happen, it ended up being a rain delay and me and my buddy went to the bar and got tanked...boy were our families pissed.

DrummerGeorgefan
08-11-2005, 11:45 AM
The Tigers brawl was quite memorable. I was at the game and didnt know what fight to watch.

That said, there havent been all too many good bench clearers in the past year. Anyone have a reason why?

Baby Fisk
08-11-2005, 11:46 AM
1993: Blue Jay Mark Whiten gives Black Jack a shiner to remember.

jdm2662
08-11-2005, 11:53 AM
1990 in Texas. I wish someone would've jumped Nolan Ryan after he sat in the dugout the entire time. He walked out when it was all over with his hand in the air. He's the one that started the mess because he couldn't handle Grebeck homering off him in the previous game. I wished someone jumped him that day.

NMUSoxFan
08-11-2005, 11:56 AM
i cant believe no one mentioned the best one on August 4th, 1993!!! (it was in 93, i just mistyped)

NOLAN RYAN vs ROBIN VENTURA!!!!

That was a kick ass brawl, even though it only really included those two. But none the less you cant argue that it wasnt a good fight.

Baby Fisk
08-11-2005, 12:00 PM
i cant believe no one mentioned the best one on August 4th, 1983!!!

That was a kick ass brawl, even though it only really included those two. But none the less you cant argue that it wasnt a good fight.
It was in 1993. Don't mess with Texas, or something like that... :cool:

:nolanventura

Garland_IS_God
08-11-2005, 12:00 PM

Was that really 1983?? I can remember that and I was born in 82. I thought it was more like early 90's. Wow does time fly. That was a kick ass brawl. I got a baseball card of Nolan Ryan hittin Ventura in the head.

jackbrohamer
08-11-2005, 12:15 PM

Then the league suspended McDowall. Unbelievable.

IIRC there was a Sox/Tigers fight in the late 1960s where Dick McAuliffe dislocated Tommy John's shoulder. I once saw a picture of it and it was ugly but I haven't heard about it since.

Sxy Mofo
08-11-2005, 12:19 PM
It was in 1993. Don't mess with Texas, or something like that... :cool:

:nolanventura

It was '93, and it is hilarious to hear robin talk about that, the quote I remember most is, "I started out to the pitcher's mound and then after a few steps I thought 'what the hell am I doing?'"

TomBradley72
08-11-2005, 12:24 PM
I remember a pretty big fight against the Orioles in the early 70's....I was pretty young....but remember the red pin striped unis with the astro turf infield...

knocko94
08-11-2005, 12:29 PM
The Tigers brawl(s) were crazy, but I've got a soft spot for the Brewers fight in the late 90s.

We had Rob Dibble out of the bullpen (which was hillarious), and he got brought in to face Pat Listach. First pitch, off the noggin. The best part of the brawl was Bevington pounding Garner's head while he had him in a headlock.

I miss the Brewers. Good times.

TomBradley72
08-11-2005, 12:31 PM
I remember a pretty big fight against the Orioles in the early 70's....I was pretty young....but remember the red pin striped unis with the astro turf infield...

Just found this on "retrosheet"...game was May 31, 1971:

ORIOLES 9TH: JOHNSTONE STAYED IN GAME (PLAYING LF); EDDY
REPLACED WILLIAMS (PITCHING); Powell walked; Rettenmund out on a
sacrifice bunt (catcher to first) [Powell to second]; B.
Robinson singled to right [Powell scored]; ROMO REPLACED EDDY
(PITCHING); Johnson made an out to center; Belanger singled to
right ; Dalrymple singled to center [B.
Robinson scored, Belanger to second]; Dukes doubled [Belanger
scored, Dalrymple scored];[b] Buford was ejected when he went to
the screen to 'warn' a fan, and was jumped by another fan who
had ran across the field. The Orioles bench 'responded' to the
second fan; CROWLEY BATTED FOR BUFORD; Crowley singled to
center [Dukes scored]; Blair singled to center [Crowley to
second]; Powell grounded out (pitcher to first); 5 R, 6 H, 0 E,
2 LOB. Orioles 11, White Sox 3.

pdimas
08-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Mine was the Oakland White Sox fight that happened in the 80's when Rickey Henderson was still a part of the team. We had seats in right field and my dad was giving Rickey crap all game. Rickey clearly got aggravated and IIRC even started shouting back. Later on when the brawl started Rickey was nowhere near where the fight had begun. But he must have had a lot of pent up anger cause he ran and dove into the pile with reckless abandon. I remember thinking wow I couldn't believe my dad had gotten to him that badly. I mean he was at full sprint going into the fray like some crazed lunatic.

Edit: Was in '91 not 80's :redface:

HITMEN OF 77
08-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Just found this on "retrosheet"...game was May 31, 1971:

ORIOLES 9TH: JOHNSTONE STAYED IN GAME (PLAYING LF); EDDY
REPLACED WILLIAMS (PITCHING); Powell walked; Rettenmund out on a
sacrifice bunt (catcher to first) [Powell to second]; B.
Robinson singled to right [Powell scored]; ROMO REPLACED EDDY
(PITCHING); Johnson made an out to center; Belanger singled to
right ; Dalrymple singled to center [B.
Robinson scored, Belanger to second]; Dukes doubled [Belanger
scored, Dalrymple scored];[b] Buford was ejected when he went to
the screen to 'warn' a fan, and was jumped by another fan who
had ran across the field. The Orioles bench 'responded' to the
second fan; CROWLEY BATTED FOR BUFORD; Crowley singled to
center [Dukes scored]; Blair singled to center [Crowley to
second]; Powell grounded out (pitcher to first); 5 R, 6 H, 0 E,
2 LOB. Orioles 11, White Sox 3.

Oh to have that on video....

TimoandAaron
08-11-2005, 01:35 PM

:welcome:

Chez
08-11-2005, 01:55 PM
The Tigers fight in 2000 was the most memorable for me (I still hate Fick and Higgenson), followed by Ed Farmer v. Al Cowens.

thecell
08-11-2005, 01:56 PM
My favorite had to have been in '91 at home against the A's. I don't remember too much about the game or what happened to cause the brawl. But I remember a fight and Tony LaRussa throwing a bat onto the screen behind home plate. Ah, what a great game to bond with the ole man...haha.

jackbrohamer
08-11-2005, 01:59 PM
Orioles 11, White Sox 3.

Seems like that was the score of EVERY Sox/Orioles game between 1969 and 1971. I remember during the scuffle a fan reached over and took Frank Robinson's cap, Robinson tried to get it back but he was stuck in the middle of a scrum.

buehrle4cy05
08-11-2005, 02:34 PM
The Tigers fight in 2000. I still remember Jim Parque trying to defend himself against Dean Palmer. And I still hate Fick and Higgenson, mainly Fick. Didn't somebody pour some beer on him as he was walking off the field?

Lip Man 1
08-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Hitmen:

FYI from the Mike Andrews interview with WSI:

ML: With former Dodger catcher Johnny Roseboro passing away in August, I was reminded of the infamous fight he had with Giants pitcher Juan Marichal.. You personally saw almost another incident like that when Don Buford of the Orioles approached the mound with his bat against Sox pitcher Bart Johnson in 1971. What do you remember about that?

MA: "I remember that vividly because I saw the whole thing from second base. It was a Memorial Day doubleheader and Bart threw a close one at Buford. Buford started out towards the mound with his bat. I donít think Don intended using that bat though. It just happened that he started towards the mound and I donít think he realized he still had the bat in his other hand. Don played football at USC. If he was going to do something, he didnít even need a bat. Anyway nothing happened and Don went out to left field. The Sox fans in that lower deck just gave him hell. A few innings later heís in the on deck circle watching the game when I see a fan jump over the wall and start towards him. This drunk was headed his way when a bunch of guys started yelling to Don to look out. Buford turned, saw the guy, and cold cocked him. Just dropped him with one punch. Thatís when some of Donís teammates from the Orioles headed out of the dugout and beat the guy. He was bloody from head to toe. I heard afterwards that when they took the guy into the medical room at the park to get worked on, the medics turned their back for a moment and the guy disappeared!"

Lip

cubhater
08-11-2005, 02:48 PM

IIRC, Black Jack didn't offer any resistance when Whiten charged the mound because he didn't want any suspension but the league suspended him anyways.:angry:

cubhater
08-11-2005, 02:50 PM
The Tigers brawl(s) were crazy, but I've got a soft spot for the Brewers fight in the late 90s.

We had Rob Dibble out of the bullpen (which was hillarious), and he got brought in to face Pat Listach. First pitch, off the noggin. The best part of the brawl was Bevington pounding Garner's head while he had him in a headlock.

I miss the Brewers. Good times.

That was Bev's only shining moment in a Sox uniform.:cool:

cubhater
08-11-2005, 02:52 PM
My favorite had to have been in '91 at home against the A's. I don't remember too much about the game or what happened to cause the brawl. But I remember a fight and Tony LaRussa throwing a bat onto the screen behind home plate. Ah, what a great game to bond with the ole man...haha.

I think that was a Sunday night game when Thigpen drilled Steinback in the helmet. La Russa started chirping at Fisk but I don't remember an all-out brawl.

Muopsies
08-11-2005, 02:54 PM

I was at that game too. I had forgotten about the bat. I believe Canseco started it, I don't remember if he got hit or was just talking to someone and it got out of hand, but that was a good one. As was the one against the Blue Jays a few weeks prior to that. I remember Pat Borders got knocked out at a collison at the plate.

eriqjaffe
08-11-2005, 03:04 PM
I think mine is from 1980 when Al Cowens, of the Tigers, grounded out to short and instead of running to first, he charged Ed Farmer on the mound. That was pretty cool.
I was at that game. In fact, I was in the front row behind the tarp on the first-base line. What was most amazing about that fight was that Cowens charged the mound in retaliation for Farmer hitting him with a pitch THE PREVIOUS YEAR.

Cowens grounded out to short, but charged Farmer instead of running to first. It was very surreal, most of the crowd was following the ball. When the throw got to Mike Squires at first...no Cowens! Then there was this collective, "HEY, LOOK! HE'S CHARGING THE MOUND!"

Stranger still was Cowens' timing - he charged the mound in the top of the 11th in a game that was tied at the time.

Wish I had brought a camera that night.

HChappasJr
08-11-2005, 03:26 PM
I also remember one in '79 or '80 at Baltimore when Mike Proly drilled Doug DeCinces who charged the mound. You could clearly read Proly's lips when he yelled "Come on, Mother F-----!" There was another one from that era vs. Milwaukee at Comiskey when Tony LaRussa ended up hurting his shoulder and was in a sling for a couple weeks.

pdimas
08-11-2005, 03:30 PM

Amen brother! That's the game my dad was just hounding the hell out of Ricky Henderson. Man was he pissed. Do you remember Ricky flying into the middle of the fight? I'd like to give some credit to my old man for fanning Ricky's fire :cool:

LongLiveFisk
08-11-2005, 03:42 PM
I remember one against the Red Sox when Clemens was pitching (back in the 80s) but I don't recall exactly what happened. I do remember the benches clearing.

Chisox003
08-11-2005, 03:48 PM
The Tigers fight in 2000. I still remember Jim Parque trying to defend himself against Dean Palmer. And I still hate Fick and Higgenson, mainly Fick. Didn't somebody pour some beer on him as he was walking off the field?

Well since I dont remember many more brawls, this has got to be my favorite.

It pretty much symbolized the team for that season, young, tough and not backing down...

Dean Palmer...Ya, real tough Dean, charging the mound and stopping short to THROW YOUR HELMET at the pitcher, whos about 6 inches shorter than you

Then Fick and Higginson....Scumbags....Fick got hauled off the field while giving the entire Comiskey crowd the finger

That fight was awesome though.....I remember EL Caballo hunting people down, a man on a mission, looking for a Tiger to break in half....Foulke ended up with a black eye and a bloody face afterward, too

Good times :gulp:

gosox83
08-11-2005, 03:53 PM
You guys are forgetting the fight about two years ago with the twins at the cell.

Mantigkveivwhch or however you spell his name was talking all this crap about how the Sox shouldn't be able to host the all star game and then Garland plunked him and got tossed, and the next inning Maggs got plunked and it was on.

My wife and brother went to that game,,,they loved it..i had to work.

EastCoastSoxFan
08-11-2005, 04:08 PM
I think that was a Sunday night game when Thigpen drilled Steinback in the helmet. La Russa started chirping at Fisk but I don't remember an all-out brawl.
I remember the post-game interview after that game when LaRussa totally lost it and the A's herded all the cameramen and reporters out of the clubhouse with one of the longest continuous string of BLEEEEEP's that I can ever remember...

TornLabrum
08-11-2005, 04:35 PM
The best Sox brawl of all times, against our old friends, the NY Yankees:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2229

TheOldRoman
08-11-2005, 04:49 PM
I didn't see the Tigers brawl in 2000. Does anyone have footage of the game? If anyone has the tape or knows where the tape is posted online, please post it here.

soxfan1965
08-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Seems like that was the score of EVERY Sox/Orioles game between 1969 and 1971. I remember during the scuffle a fan reached over and took Frank Robinson's cap, Robinson tried to get it back but he was stuck in the middle of a scrum.

The funny part about that is on WBBM-2 (CBS) News sports report that evening, they played the video replay backwards and forwards (Frank Robinson's cap getting swiped) and Johnny Morris (sportscaster) lost it, he couldn't stop laughing and could not finish the sports report.