PDA

View Full Version : Local Sports Reporter Wakes From Coma, Becomes Sox Fan

LuvSox
08-11-2005, 10:58 AM
I invited this fellow to WSI. He came to his senses.

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2005/08/11/sports/sports_columnists/f91a5f3ec6e0a24e862570590081b6a6.txt

Hangar18
08-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Funny article. I wrote him asking ....... WHAT TOOK SO LONG?
interested in what he says.

LuvSox
08-12-2005, 12:57 AM
He sent a message back, seems like a decent guy. He even took a jab at Dusty.

RadioheadRocks
08-12-2005, 04:00 AM
He even managed to sneak in a mention of Air Supply... love it!!! :D:

Tragg
08-12-2005, 09:07 AM
That's another thing that bugs me about the cubs - when they lose, the point fingers and they keep pointing and they use their media arm and finally there are 1 or 2 major scapegoats hanging out there. Look at what they did to Sosa - we all knew he was a jerk, but the Tribune ignores facts like cheating with corked bats, high strike-out totals for months - and when the cubs disappoint, they turn on him on a dime as he has suddenly become a bad clubhouse presence.

Gammons be damned, there is no way that a team that didn't make the playoffs last year and which loses its 2 best run producers (without replacing them) a key starting pitcher and doesn't do a thing to address it's weakest spot (bullpen) is going to the playoffs, much less winning a WS.

Baker never was a great manager. But he's the same manager he's always been. Get out before the Tribune pounds you under the dirt, Dusty.

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2005, 10:26 AM
That's another thing that bugs me about the cubs - when they lose, the point fingers and they keep pointing and they use their media arm and finally there are 1 or 2 major scapegoats hanging out there. Look at what they did to Sosa - we all knew he was a jerk, but the Tribune ignores facts like cheating with corked bats, high strike-out totals for months - and when the cubs disappoint, they turn on him on a dime as he has suddenly become a bad clubhouse presence.

Gammons be damned, there is no way that a team that didn't make the playoffs last year and which loses its 2 best run producers (without replacing them) a key starting pitcher and doesn't do a thing to address it's weakest spot (bullpen) is going to the playoffs, much less winning a WS.

Baker never was a great manager. But he's the same manager he's always been. Get out before the Tribune pounds you under the dirt, Dusty.But they got rid of Steve Stone and Chimp Carey!:redneck

Fungo
08-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Sounds like a bandwagon jumper to me.

Baby Fisk
08-12-2005, 10:54 AM
Sounds like a bandwagon jumper to me.
You're saying what many of us are thinking. Changing teams is a pretty drastic thing in someone's life, and often such talk is just a product of frustration with one's current team. Let's see if it sticks.

Jerko
08-12-2005, 10:56 AM
I don't know if he's a bandwagon jumper or not, but he's definately a front-runner, which is even worse.

PatK
08-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Sorry, but I don't want a bandwagon jumper like this with us.

He's another delusional, idiotic fan that just now realizes that the Tribune has been fleecing people for years?

Plus, he's amongst the legions of morons that still believe that the reason the Cubs didn't win a World Series is because of Steve Bartman.

Animals aren't allowed at the Cell unless it's Dog Day. Keep your scapegoats on the North Side, please.

nedlug
08-12-2005, 11:07 AM
Sorry, but I don't want a bandwagon jumper like this with us.

He's another delusional, idiotic fan that just now realizes that the Tribune has been fleecing people for years?

Hey, if this guy is for real, then welcome!:welcome:

I know the timing is a little odd with the Sox doing so well and the Cubs doing so bad, but hey, eventually a lot of Cubs fans will realize as much (the fleecing, I mean).

"Let's see if it sticks." Exactly, but I'd be optimistic, considering he's put it in print that he's not going back.

TornLabrum
08-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Hey, if this guy is for real, then welcome!:welcome:

I know the timing is a little odd with the Sox doing so well and the Cubs doing so bad, but hey, eventually a lot of Cubs fans will realize as much (the fleecing, I mean).

"Let's see if it sticks." Exactly, but I'd be optimistic, considering he's put it in print that he's not going back.

As I noted in an email to the writer, even Mike Royko dumped his Cubs allegiance for a year.

However, Royko was back to cursing his fate as a Cubs fan before you could say Tribune Company.

TimoandAaron
08-12-2005, 11:19 AM
You're saying what many of us are thinking. Changing teams is a pretty drastic thing in someone's life, and often such talk is just a product of frustration with one's current team. Let's see if it sticks.One of my friends is a cubs fan and after they lost to the Marlins in the NLCS, he said he was gonna be a sox fan. Then things turned around and the cubs got maddux, so all of a sudden he was a cubs fan again.

Good thing the cubs got maddux.:redneck

PaulDrake
08-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Too many cub fans lack balance. They get absolutely euphoric with each 2 game winning streak, and then they crash like this writer did. The level of bitterness and discontent is at an all time high among the cubbie faithful. After 03 they really believed that their time was at hand. Now the bubble has burst. The myth of the whole Wrigleyville thing is exposed for all to see. This is going to be one REAL bad hangover. In the meantime, some fans have made the change from the dark side to our side. It remains to be seen if Steve Hanlon can complete the journey. Like I said, after each 2 game winning streak.

TDog
08-12-2005, 01:20 PM
One of my friends is a cubs fan and after they lost to the Marlins in the NLCS, he said he was gonna be a sox fan. Then things turned around and the cubs got maddux, so all of a sudden he was a cubs fan again. ...

The day the Cubs fans in my office saw the Maddux news, it was like the National League season had been canceled the the Cubs needed only to keep in shape for the postseason.

The rest of the league apparently didn't get the memo.

So.ILSoxFan
08-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Too many cub fans lack balance. They get absolutely euphoric with each 2 game winning streak, and then they crash like this writer did. The level of bitterness and discontent is at an all time high among the cubbie faithful. After 03 they really believed that their time was at hand. Now the bubble has burst. The myth of the whole Wrigleyville thing is exposed for all to see. This is going to be one REAL bad hangover. In the meantime, some fans have made the change from the dark side to our side. It remains to be seen if Steve Hanlon can complete the journey. Like I said, after each 2 game winning streak.

So true, yesterday, I had a cub fan at work tell me that since the cubs won against the cards, they had turned it around and would most certainly win the wild card.

After I pointed out that the cubs had just finished losing 8 straight he still sounded convinced of a postseason run, so I asked him how sure...

I feel $20 coming my way

:cool:

chitownhawkfan
08-12-2005, 01:45 PM
This man better be careful before the Tribune secret police come to his house in the middle of the night. 2+2=5

PS. His beloved "Baby Bears" can have him back, these are the exact type of people I dont want to see at the Cell, thanks, but no thanks.

Steakpita
08-12-2005, 02:56 PM
There's still room on the bandwagon. I'll take any converted Cubs fan as long as they can name our manager, starting pitching rotation, at least three relievers, and the position players off the top of their head. Otherwise... stay at the Urinal, keep wondering when Sammy's coming up to bat.

Stroker Ace
08-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Sounds like a bandwagon jumper to me.Same here

hose
08-12-2005, 05:37 PM
My best friend, who is a diehard Cub fan, called me Wednesday and went into a long rant about the Cubs. He said he is finished with this team and hopes they only draw 4,000 per game next year. The loss at Philadelphia pushed him over the edge.

He isn't converting to a Sox fan, but he said he will watch and root for the Sox in the playoffs and wants them to win the WS.

:o:

I couldn't believe my ears, we've been going at it since kindergarten with the Sox vs. the Cubs. Just the fact that he wants the Sox to win the WS is a absolute shocker.

I also work with a guy that converted over to the Sox after the Bartman game. He has been wearing his Sox cap to work for the last couple of years and is now a big fan.

All casual and converts are welcome as far as I'm concerned. The casual fan that brings their kids or a friend to a Sox game could be planting a seed for potential Sox fans down the line years later.:bandance:

Baby Fisk
08-12-2005, 05:43 PM
All casual and converts are welcome as far as I'm concerned. The casual fan that brings their kids or a friend to a Sox game could be planting a seed for potential Sox fans down the line years later.:bandance:
It's the converts that stick who are always welcome. Converts who start to follow the team, learn ALL the players, learn the team's history, go to Sox games, etc. Always welcome!

However, converts who become "Sox fans" for a week until the Cubs go on a winning streak are not. They are the aforementioned "bandwagoners", "frontrunners", and are also "unwelcome." You know they'll disappear once November rolls around, and be back in disco blue in the spring.

:reinsy
"Stick a white sock in it, boy. Their money's just as good as yours."

malbert346
08-12-2005, 06:28 PM
This man better be careful before the Tribune secret police come to his house in the middle of the night. 2+2=5

PS. His beloved "Baby Bears" can have him back, these are the exact type of people I dont want to see at the Cell, thanks, but no thanks.

Cool reference chitownhawkfan! I love 1984.

chitownhawkfan
08-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Thanks Malbert, and maybe for a promotion we could have White Sox baptismal night next year after we win the WS, where we take former Cubs fans and annoint them Sox faithful. "Do you reject Satan/Tribune Company, and all of its evil"

RavenswoodFan
08-13-2005, 03:25 PM
I also got a reply from this guy and he was very gracious!
It sure would be nice if more of the media would take off the "Rose Tinted Glasses"!:smile:

TornLabrum
08-13-2005, 03:29 PM
I also got a reply from this guy and he was very gracious!
It sure would be nice if more of the media would take off the "Rose Tinted Glasses"!:smile:

Same here. He says he's in it for the long haul, and he says he likes the idea of being a part of a group of fans who hate losing.