PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 8/11/05

Hangar18
08-11-2005, 09:08 AM
The Chicago Media thinks its funny to keep talking about some cubby bimbette who took a sign that said "please stop losing". She gets coverage in both papers. For being the best team in baseball, beating the Yankees in NY, and still being in 1st place this late in the season, the SOX somehow lose in coverage to the Cubs today. How does this keep happening?

Cubune:
5 cub stories
4 sox stories
Cub-Times:
4 cub stories
3 sox stories

Standings as of only 7/25
4th Place, 6 games UNDER .500, 18 games out .........CUBS 147
1st Place, 35 games OVER .500, best record in mlb .....SOX 103

Whats wrong with this Picture?

DaveIsHere
08-11-2005, 09:21 AM
Who are these Whitesox you speak of????? :o:

ode to veeck
08-11-2005, 09:37 AM
Are we closing the gap with the big win over YankMes yesterday, losing by only one story each in the Cubune and ScrubTimes?

credefan24
08-11-2005, 10:02 AM
I think it is because the Sox still "haven't played anybody." So until the martian baseball team comes in for a weekend series against the Sox, our guys won't get the credit as the "best team in baseball." Idiot Cubune.

Kogs35
08-11-2005, 11:11 AM
Whats wrong with this Picture?

Dan Mcrath of the cubune still has a job at the cubune thats whats wrong. see yesterdays chicago tribunbe live, to see why this idoit should not have his editor job.

34rancher
08-11-2005, 11:25 AM
Does anyone understand what Rick Morrissey (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050810morrissey,1,2535576.column?coll=cs-home-utility) is trying to say in his article? It seems that he is trying to create a story to put himself in a limelight. I see no point or purpose at all in his article...

ughhh

Hitmen77
08-11-2005, 11:26 AM
The Cubbie Lovers covering sports in this town will never be fair. Now that the Cubs have fallen to the point that they can't realistically play up their playoff chances, they are switching to their old standby: How heartbreaking this is for Cub fans, how great those fans are, how great Wrigley Field is, fill-in-the-blank 2nd rate celebrity sang the 7th inning stretch, blah blah blah.

It's all total BS. Anything to keep covering the Cubs and to keep the Sox down.

SOXPHILE
08-11-2005, 11:56 AM
Dan Mcrath of the cubune still has a job at the cubune thats whats wrong. see yesterdays chicago tribunbe live, to see why this idoit should not have his editor job.

I saw his handsome mug on there last night, but only for a few minutes. I hardly watched any of it. What did he say ? (I also saw they had resident genius Jesse Rogers on too. That show must have been a train wreck.)

CHIsoxNation
08-11-2005, 12:03 PM
Isn't this topic played out by now? We have almost gone 3/4 of the season and it really seems like nothing has changed. Nor does it look like it will any time soon. I don't care how much team this publicity gets, and I am willing to guess that the team doesn't care either. I'm sorry, I just don't see the point to having a thread like this when everyone has talked about this issue ALL season. IMO, this topic is as bad as all of the attendance threads.

Kogs35
08-11-2005, 12:03 PM
I saw his handsome mug on there last night, but only for a few minutes. I hardly watched any of it. What did he say ? (I also saw they had resident genius Jesse Rogers on too. That show must have been a train wreck.)

he thought a-rod play the other night when hit that messed up the double wasnt on purpose. thought it would be funny to put the cubs as the headline when the sox r in the playoffs.

mdep524
08-11-2005, 12:27 PM
Between Phil Rogers' joke of a column about Palmeiro and Rick Morrisey's insignificant rant about Ozzie, today's Trib was an absolute joke. The only well-written article today, ironically, was Dave van Dyck's column about how the Cubs/Cards series has lost all significance with the Cubs in free fall.

I expected some kind of trash about how the series is still super-important and relevant because its such a great rivalry, and fans will hang on every pitch like its the World Series, and this will test the Cubs' mettle for a final Wildcard push... but van Dyck actually avoided the sap and got it right.

maurice
08-11-2005, 12:53 PM
I am enjoying the magically growing "wildcard standings" section of the newspapers. You'd think that as the season goes on, the number of wildcard contenders would dwindle. That's not the case for the Chicago media, who has to accomodate irrational optimism for their beloved cubs.

Case in point: the Cub-Times NL "wildcard standings / watch" now includes an amazing 8 teams, 3 of which have sub-.500 records. Oddly, the AL "wildcard standings" include only 6 teams, only 1 of which has a sub-.500 record. Even that team (Texas) is only 1 game under .500.

Hangar18
08-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Isn't this topic played out by now? We have almost gone 3/4 of the season and it really seems like nothing has changed. Nor does it look like it will any time soon. I don't care how much team this publicity gets, and I am willing to guess that the team doesn't care either. I'm sorry, I just don't see the point to having a thread like this when everyone has talked about this issue ALL season. IMO, this topic is as bad as all of the attendance threads.

Well, theres 2 things we can do about this. This BS has been going on for YEARS, and the SOX chose to IGNORE THE PROBLEM, and hoped it would magically fix itself. It Didnt. Ignoring the problem has made it 10X as hard now for whitesox fans and the SOX themselves having to overcome such nonsense as "Bridgeport is Bad" etc etc

C-Dawg
08-11-2005, 02:18 PM
You'd think that as the season goes on, the number of wildcard contenders would dwindle. That's not the case for the Chicago media, who has to accomodate irrational optimism for their beloved cubs.

LOL Yeah I was noticing that as well too a couple days ago. If the Cubs were in 3rd in the wild card race, they'd probably just have a listing of about 4 teams.

CHIsoxNation
08-11-2005, 02:30 PM
Well, theres 2 things we can do about this. This BS has been going on for YEARS, and the SOX chose to IGNORE THE PROBLEM, and hoped it would magically fix itself. It Didnt. Ignoring the problem has made it 10X as hard now for whitesox fans and the SOX themselves having to overcome such nonsense as "Bridgeport is Bad" etc etc

I guess I have come to the realization that we many never be able to win over the media in Chicago as long as the Flubs are in town. I know the northersiders get all kinds of publicty across the nation and there isn't anything we can do about it. I don't like to be reminded by the fact that the Cubs had more articles in the paper today then the Sox because it does make me mad. But I just don't get how threads like this are supposed to change that.

I know the stereotype that goes along with being a sox fan or the reviews Bridgeport has recieved over the years. But unless we all go out there and start building trendy bars, nice condos, and fancy restaraunts...I don't see how we could change anyone's opinion.

I have been doing my part to bring people to Sox games that haven't gone in years to show them the changes made to the park and the community surrounding it. Once they are there they realize how much things have changed. The media hasn't been on our side in a long time and may not be for even a longer time. I just don't know why we need threads to point that out when everyone knows.

Chisox353014
08-11-2005, 02:48 PM

I saw part of this show and it was indeed a train wreck. The best part was when all the guests were trying to figure out why the Braves keep developing great players and pitchers while winning the division every year as the Cubs' players never seem to live up to their potential. Jesse Rogers says something like "we'll never know the answer to that" while everyone else just nods stupidly in agreement. And I'm thinking "shouldn't you at least have a clue about it, because, you know, you cover sports as your frickin' job?!?"

maurice
08-11-2005, 03:27 PM
The best part was when all the guests were trying to figure out why the Braves keep developing great players and pitchers while winning the division every year as the Cubs' players never seem to live up to their potential.

I know the answer. It's pretty obvious that teams like the Braves and the Twins have good GMs and player development people, while teams like the cubs have overrated schmucks who hype mediocre or crappy players like Kelton, while trading away or releasing talented players like Willis and Sisco. Heck, they probably would have traded Pie, if he didn't get injured before the deadline. I'm amazed that they never ditched Zambrano, since they apparently valued him much much less than crap like Wood.

Hitmen77
08-11-2005, 04:05 PM
I guess I have come to the realization that we many never be able to win over the media in Chicago as long as the Flubs are in town. I know the northersiders get all kinds of publicty across the nation and there isn't anything we can do about it. I don't like to be reminded by the fact that the Cubs had more articles in the paper today then the Sox because it does make me mad. But I just don't get how threads like this are supposed to change that.

I know the stereotype that goes along with being a sox fan or the reviews Bridgeport has recieved over the years. But unless we all go out there and start building trendy bars, nice condos, and fancy restaraunts...I don't see how we could change anyone's opinion.

I have been doing my part to bring people to Sox games that haven't gone in years to show them the changes made to the park and the community surrounding it. Once they are there they realize how much things have changed. The media hasn't been on our side in a long time and may not be for even a longer time. I just don't know why we need threads to point that out when everyone knows.

I disagree. I like that people on this site are willing to call the media on their ridiculous pro-Cubs slant. I remember when the Sox clinched the AL West in '93 and then they fielded a B-lineup the next day against a last place team in order to rest their starters and lost the game. The Trib had a front page blurb about how the Sox may be champs, but they can't even beat a last place team. I mean, it was really insulting. I was infuriated, but there was no outlet to challenge the Trib on such outrageous statements at that time. Sox fans had no voice.

I'm glad we have this medium to publicize the outrageous way the media treats the Sox. Don't think it makes no difference - people in the media read and post on this website. It bothers some of them that we mock their coverage - otherwise why would the likes of George Knue keep showing up to debate this topic with us? The pro-Cub bias is still there, but I think it has softened alot since 2000 when the 1st place Sox were mercilessly trashed in the media throughout the season. So I'm all for calling them on their pro-Cubs, anti-Sox slant and getting the message out to people.

If you don't like reading threads about media coverage, then my advice is that you not select a thread titled "Chicago NewsMedia Watch" which is posted in the "what's the score" section of this site. Did Hanger18 take control of your mouse and force you to read this thread?

minastirith67
08-11-2005, 04:32 PM
This is why I canceled my subscription. **** the cubune...

Hangar18
08-11-2005, 05:32 PM

Dont get me wrong Chisoxnation, yours is a valid and tempting thought.
HOWEVER .............
If we stop caring, things will get even WORSE. I'll fight the good fight every day, in hopes it doesnt get any worse .........better than moaning about the unfairness in private.

Kogs35
08-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Dont get me wrong Chisoxnation, yours is a valid and tempting thought.
HOWEVER .............
If we stop caring, things will get even WORSE. I'll fight the good fight every day, in hopes it doesnt get any worse .........better than moaning about the unfairness in private.

hangar im ready to go to war against the cubune and there media outlets. after watching troll shows like pti and around the horn, morrisy deserves hell for what he wrote about today