PDA

View Full Version : Sox Train Keeps A Rolling...

DrCrawdad
08-10-2005, 09:46 PM
Les "Grobber" Grobstein reports on his site, "The Sox took the train to Boston.."

The Sox took the train to Boston? Is this something the Sox do regularly, or have they done this in the recent past?

The Sox train keeps a rolling!

SOXfnNlansing
08-10-2005, 09:48 PM
I think it's pretty cool that they are taking the train. Hawk was commenting on how they used to take the train back in his day. Let's get 2 wins atleast out there!:bandance:

mantis1212
08-10-2005, 09:49 PM
I heard Hawk and DJ chatting about it during Tuesday's game. My impression was that it rarely happens for them (taking the train), but they sounded kind of excited about it. Probably only happens when there's a day off in between road cities which are close to each other.

Keep it Rollin'!

Trav
08-10-2005, 10:59 PM
WSI's favorite White Sox official blogger mentioned this as well. Said it was a one time thing and the players were looking forward to doing it old school.

Banix12
08-10-2005, 11:32 PM
My guess is it actually might be a little easier for the sox to travel between Boston and New York by train than it is by plane. Unlike a plane which has to wait around for safety checks and takes longer to load the luggage and board while the train can pretty much just leave the station with less hassle.

Pretty much depending on when it leaves the whole trip by train takes around 3 1/2 to 5 hours. So the difference between train in plane is negligable.

chisoxfanatic
08-11-2005, 12:13 AM
My guess is it actually might be a little easier for the sox to travel between Boston and New York by train than it is by plane. Unlike a plane which has to wait around for safety checks and takes longer to load the luggage and board while the train can pretty much just leave the station with less hassle.

Pretty much depending on when it leaves the whole trip by train takes around 3 1/2 to 5 hours. So the difference between train in plane is negligable.

I always thought the Sox took a charter plane...Wouldn't that mean they wouldn't have to worry about all those "checks" and luggage hassles, since they'd be on their own private plane?

DumpJerry
08-11-2005, 12:34 AM
I always thought the Sox took a charter plane...Wouldn't that mean they wouldn't have to worry about all those "checks" and luggage hassles, since they'd be on their own private plane?
Nope. ALL flights from any US airport must go through screening. Charter or commercial.

Banix12
08-11-2005, 12:38 AM

Not sure if they always take a charter plane, though even if they did that I would think they would still have to run most of the safety checks and still have a longer wait for takeoff in a plane with the taxiing and all.

It's probably likely only a difference of an hour or two though between train and plane between Boston and NY. Negligable

Unregistered
08-11-2005, 12:41 AM
I'm thinking they probably took one of those fast Acela trains. They go to Boston from NY in about 2 hours, probably making it a real easy trip.

chisoxfanatic
08-11-2005, 12:43 AM
I'm thinking they probably took one of those fast Acela trains.

Ha! I guess the Sox were REALLY riding the A-Train!!! I wonder how our old gridiron #35 felt afterwards! :D:

RadioheadRocks
08-11-2005, 01:22 AM
Not sure if they always take a charter plane, though even if they did that I would think they would still have to run most of the safety checks and still have a longer wait for takeoff in a plane with the taxiing and all.

It's probably likely only a difference of an hour or two though between train and plane between Boston and NY. Negligable

When you factor in the usual air traffic delays for any of the NYC airports (Kennedy, LaGuardia and Newark) and Boston Logan, I'd say the train from New York to Boston is not a bad idea!

ode to veeck
08-11-2005, 02:21 AM
Charter air security performs much of the same procedures as commercial (& continually upgrading processes as well) but there's typically, much, much less hassle and crowds getting through security, making it a breeze by comparison.

Trains are fun by comparison to air travel drudgery these days and the NY-Boston trains probably are a reasonably short ride (~3-4 hours)

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-11-2005, 02:26 AM
Me and my g/f were just thinking about trains in our hot tub

DrCrawdad
08-11-2005, 08:56 AM
From Scott Reifert's blog (http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/):

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/photos/uncategorized/train_1.jpg

Train
We are turning back the clock after the game today. Ed Cassin, our terrific manager of team travel, has arranged for our own train to take us from New York to Boston. The 3 1/2-hour trip, just like they travelled in the "old days," should be very cool.

MsSoxVixen22
08-11-2005, 09:25 AM
Wow...it'd probably be awesome to be on the same plane or train as the team. I guess Hawk and DJ were saying there's card games going on. DJ said Harold Baines would have the best poker face! *****! It would be awesome to hang out with the guys and play poker with them! I just learned to play no too long ago and I bluff well!