PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on Baldwin

KempersRS
07-26-2001, 11:15 PM
Ok, lemme start off by saying the trade was chicken-sh#t. Give me a break KW, this was the BEST possible pick up for a solid 4-5 starter? It's a joke. These prospects have little upside and I doubt he seriously put any thought into this deal at all other than to dump salary, complete joke. I understand you wanna dump salary, but a lot of teams need pitching and you are telling me not one team could offer a player at a position we actually need? When I found out he also got the wrong player, I nearly flipped. That just tells you he is completely incompitant. Obviously he doesn't even care who gets, as long as he lowers salary. What a joke of a GM. He doesn't even take these things seriously. ITS A JOKE, btw, good game tonight.

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2001, 11:28 PM
Ok this is going to be my last post on this, I argued with West and Ate on this and lost. Yes this was a salary dump, was it a good deal? Well that depends on your point of view. Is Kenny Williams a boob for getting the wrong player? YES! Could he have gotten a better deal? YES! But lets not kid ourselves and think teams were beating on the door trying to get JB. It was either LA, Giants or the Diamondbacks. Arizona made a trade last night so cross them off. That is two teams and if SF didn't want him that is one team, which backs you into a corner if you really want to dump a guy because you have to take what they offer. Was there more then one team who wanted him? I'm sure that will come out at some point in time. This is just another pile tossed onto to this train wreak of a season.

KempersRS
07-27-2001, 12:09 AM
Trust me, I am not trying to oversell Baldwin, he ain't that good. I just think KW didn't even make an attempt, he had salary dump on his mind the whole way.

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2001, 12:11 AM
he had salary dump on his mind the whole way.

Gee I wonder why....

:reinsy
Don't look at me!
Damn fans don't come to the park.

Tragg
07-27-2001, 12:38 AM
Did we ever get clarification whether we would have gotten 2 comp picks had we offered and he rejected and signed with someone else after the season?

Seems like those 2 picks would have been better than this - at least it would have been top talent, albeit among high schoolers.

doublem23
07-27-2001, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
Did we ever get clarification whether we would have gotten 2 comp picks had we offered and he rejected and signed with someone else after the season?

Seems like those 2 picks would have been better than this - at least it would have been top talent, albeit among high schoolers.

I'm pretty sure that if JB was named a Type A Free Agent (which he probably would have), we would have gotten at very least a sandwich round pick (somewhere between the 1st and 2nd round). That was a guarantee. If JB had signed on with a team picking somewhere between #16-30 in the 1st round, I also think that we would get that pick for compensation.