PDA

View Full Version : Klap: Jury Out on Sox

saltwater farmer
08-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Klap: Jury Still Out On White Sox (http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkyNjgmZmdi ZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY3NDM1NDMmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZU VFeXk2)

The back-handed compliments keep pouring in from the east.

fquaye149
08-10-2005, 06:08 PM
if Bob Klapisch is the jury, I wouldn't be dissatisfied with the eponymous "hung jury"

GiveMeSox
08-10-2005, 06:15 PM
if Bob Klapisch is the jury, I wouldn't be dissatisfied with the eponymous "hung jury"

Ill bet 10:1 odds gullien gets fat furhter into his managing career, the older he gets. I dont care as long hes the same ozzie and we are still winning.

Frankfan4life
08-10-2005, 06:25 PM
Seems like having the best record in baseball means little when it comes to the Sox and the playoffs. Hardly surprising given our recent playoff crash and burn history. Quite simply, the Sox are going to need some playoff success to get respect.

maurice
08-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Klap: Jury Still Out On White Sox (http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkyNjgmZmdi ZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY3NDM1NDMmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZU VFeXk2)

What do you expect from a guy who is named after a venereal disease and lives in New Jersey?

PatK
08-10-2005, 06:55 PM
I dunno. That article seemed slightly positive, but only after backhanded comments.

It seems there's a new wave of sports journalism that writes a basically negative article, then tries to throw one or two comments in the end to make it sound positive.

fquaye149
08-10-2005, 07:13 PM
What do you expect from a guy who is named after a venereal disease and lives in New Jersey?

those two things are closely related.

ba ba ba zing

jehosaphat
08-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Seems like having the best record in baseball means little when it comes to the Sox and the playoffs. Hardly surprising given our recent playoff crash and burn history. Quite simply, the Sox are going to need some playoff success to get respect.

I agree. I did not find the article negative or full of backhanded complements. The Sox have done a fine job this season and have won mostly because of an outstanding pitching staff, great defense, and "small ball/Ozzie ball/smart ball" baseball. But good regular season records are not all that unusual and do not qualify a team as a great team in my book. Although Seattle's 116 win season in 2001 is the classic example, the Minnesota and Oakland teams of recent years are other examples of strong pitching/good fielding/small ball type of teams that fizzled in the face of more "star studded" teams when the playoffs came around. Only time will tell if the 2005 White Sox will go down in history as another "great season/playoff fizzling" team, or if they will be remembered as champions, a status that NY and Boston have earned. Until we win the pennant or the world series, I think it is fair to withhold judgment and suggest that the jury is still out.

By the way, I really do believe this team is special and that they will make it to the Series this year. The Cardinals have me shaking in my boots a bit, but now I'm the one who is getting way ahead of things. I suppose I should just enjoy it while I can

SOXfnNlansing
08-10-2005, 08:59 PM
I don't know but I thought it was a good story. At this stage of the season the jury is still out (if you're not a Sox fan). During the season everyone was afraid to speak out in support of the Sox, Nats, and O's. It's a very long season. I guess now the people that report on MLB were right about being overly 'gushing' on the Nats and O's and are now starting to ponder and look more closely at our Sox. I think as we get near September most people will start to get excited at a fresh dominant force steamrolling into October. Maybe that last sentence should be in teal but I'm just stating that as a fact of human nature. :bandance:

bunnybrief
08-10-2005, 09:01 PM
I couldn't give a crap about respect. This article wasn't as bad as some I've seen.

kojak
08-10-2005, 09:24 PM
I thought it was a fabulous article. We should have this guy on our team. Can we trade the windsock for him?

And he is right. The jury is out until we do something in October. You don't have to like it, but it is the truth...

AJPosguchi
08-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Bad Title... Fair arcticle.

fquaye149
08-11-2005, 03:35 PM
And he is right. The jury is out until we do something in October. You don't have to like it, but it is the truth...

*** does this mean? what does it even mean? is it the earth shattering claim that nothing is guaranteed until the games are played? mercy.

of course the jury's out on us, but no more so than any other team. Nobody knows what any regular season team will do come playoff time. We are no exception, but certainly shouldn't be singled out for it. I read the article. It was...all right I guess, but essentially he was saying we somehow have more to prove than NY or Boston, which is essentially bullass****

edit: for instance, I take issue with this (including Duque's statement that I'm surprised has not gotten blown up on this board. I would blow it up myself but I'm too goldurned tired.):

But despite their 12Ĺ-game lead over the Indians, the largest cushion in the big leagues, and their projected 105 wins, it's still fair to ask if the White Sox are actually the AL's best team.

Somehow, it's hard to imagine them outlasting the Red Sox in October, and there's even sentiment in the clubhouse that suggests the Yankees are the superior force as well.

So says Orlando Hernandez, who got a firsthand look at the Bombers on Monday night, losing a 3-2 masterpiece to Mike Mussina. Asked to compare the two clubs, El Duque said, "My team [White Sox] does all the little things - we pitch well, we play great defense - but to me, the Yankees have the most power, the best talent on paper. They have all the stars.

gee bob, why is it so hard to imagine? is it because our pitching is so vastly superior to them? Or is it that we actually know how to turn batted balls into outs on defense?

I mean, I realize it is just so damned hard to imagine us beating Boston in the playoffs, but I just can't figure out why, for the life of me.

MIgrenade
08-11-2005, 03:54 PM
After reading the article I kinda think a lot of it goes into the El Duque comment. He makes it sound as if the White Sox haven't figured out if they can win it all. Let's face it, the White Sox hitting this year can make anyone look good on the mound, while our pitching can make any hitting look bad.

Anyway, I don't get what the hell El Duque is saying. Was this taken out of context or is he being polite to his former team or does he not believe in the White Sox? Everyone knows who the best team is on paper. The Sox were for the last few years in the central and that amounted to squat. These are PK-esque comments.

Iwritecode
08-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Anyway, I don't get what the hell El Duque is saying. Was this taken out of context or is he being polite to his former team or does he not believe in the White Sox? Everyone knows who the best team is on paper. The Sox were for the last few years in the central and that amounted to squat. These are PK-esque comments.

El Duque's comments make sense. Just look at what he says.

the Yankees have the most power, the best talent on paper. They have all the stars

Giambi, A-rod, Sheffield, Matsui... That's potentially a lot of home-run power. Add Jeter, Posoda, Williams, Mussina, RJ, Rivera, Gordon etc... and they pretty much have an all-star (or ex all-star) at every position.

Translating all that star-power into wins is another story entirely. :wink:

Hangar18
08-11-2005, 04:09 PM
It seems there's a new wave of sports journalism that writes a basically negative article, then tries to throw one or two comments in the end to make it sound positive.

Its a style of Writing known commonly in the industry as Tribunesque, and was developed specifically as a style for writing about the Chicago White Sox, a team that competes Directly with the Cubs for profit and popularity

fquaye149
08-11-2005, 04:24 PM
El Duque's comments make sense. Just look at what he says.

Giambi, A-rod, Sheffield, Matsui... That's potentially a lot of home-run power. Add Jeter, Posoda, Williams, Mussina, RJ, Rivera, Gordon etc... and they pretty much have an all-star (or ex all-star) at every position.

Translating all that star-power into wins is another story entirely. :wink:

nothing at all incorrect about what you wrote or how it relates to the duque excerpt you quoted. However he goes on to say this:

"We might have the best record, but I wouldn't say we're the best team," Hernandez said.

which I am curious as to your thoughts on

Iwritecode
08-11-2005, 04:28 PM
nothing at all incorrect about what you wrote or how it relates to the duque excerpt you quoted. However he goes on to say this:

which I am curious as to your thoughts on

Obviously he's been reading the Tribune too much. :o:

If he's only looking at the teams on paper (and we know how that goes) then the Sox probably aren't the best team. There's plenty of people out there that still can't figure out how/why the Sox keep winning.

It's a good thing they don't play the games on paper...

Mercy!
08-11-2005, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the link. I couldnít determine what in that column would rate as "back-handed compliments."

The piece is not exactly heavy on the stats, but I think itís fair and an okay read. Itís always nice to see the White Sox getting their props outside of the Chicago market.