PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Fenway is Wrigley East

Fenway
08-10-2005, 05:45 PM
soon they will be selling seats on the CITGO sign :angry:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/08/10/in_his_debut_nothing_goes_right_for_lefty/?page=2
CEO Larry Lucchino said the team is considering placing seats atop a building adjacent to Fenway along the right-field side, creating a Wrigley Field effect. ''We thought about it after we came back from Wrigley, but it's really a long-range consideration," Lucchino said. ''There's nothing imminent. The area we're talking about is actually a part of Fenway, an area beyond the Dunkin' Donuts and Ford sign where we already have a full concourse." . . . Tony Danza threw out the first pitch.http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/File-Based_Image_Resource/dingbat_story_end_icon.gif

http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/photos/cambridge_boston/images/Citgo%20sign%20&%20Fenway%20lights.jpg

The Dude
08-10-2005, 06:46 PM
soon they will be selling seats on the CITGO sign :angry:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/08/10/in_his_debut_nothing_goes_right_for_lefty/?page=2
CEO Larry Lucchino said the team is considering placing seats atop a building adjacent to Fenway along the right-field side, creating a Wrigley Field effect. ''We thought about it after we came back from Wrigley, but it's really a long-range consideration," Lucchino said. ''There's nothing imminent. The area we're talking about is actually a part of Fenway, an area beyond the Dunkin' Donuts and Ford sign where we already have a full concourse." . . . Tony Danza threw out the first pitch.http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/File-Based_Image_Resource/dingbat_story_end_icon.gif

Again, I am totally shocked with this!

Seriously Fenway, you cant be that shocked with this news. The media and MOST, not all fans of these two teams root for the other hand and hand. Two stadiums that keep finding new ways to not demolish their shrines.

Brian26
08-10-2005, 08:34 PM
CEO Larry Lucchino said the team is considering placing seats atop a building adjacent to Fenway along the right-field side, creating a Wrigley Field effect.

I can't picture where these seats would be. Would they be in the outfield or actually down the first base line (sort of in the right field corner)?

Chips
08-10-2005, 08:44 PM
I cannot wait until 2025 when both teams are playing in different ballparks and everyone stops talking about how great they are because of their old crappy stadiums.

Brian26
08-10-2005, 08:57 PM
I cannot wait until 2025 when both teams are playing in different ballparks and everyone stops talking about how great they are because of their old crappy stadiums.

I might even make the trip out to Schaumburg to visit the new scrubs Stadium as a gesture of goodwill to the north-suburban-side franchise.

:bandance:

eriqjaffe
08-11-2005, 09:11 AM
I might even make the trip out to Schaumburg to visit the new scrubs Stadium as a gesture of goodwill to the north-suburban-side franchise.Crap, I don't want the Cubs in my backyard. I mean, my parents live in Schaumburg, what would that do to their property value?

Oh, well. At least Alexian Field has decent parking. ;)

34 Inch Stick
08-11-2005, 11:12 AM
IIRC that Citgo sign is an optical illusion. It is actually several blocks from the stadium.

harwar
08-11-2005, 11:49 AM
I watch a lot of red sox games but i would ask for two things.
1 .. stop doing the wave.
2 .. Tell Remdog to prop Wallys' chair up,he looks damned uncomfortable.

RavenswoodFan
08-12-2005, 08:38 AM

Amen!!!!:mad:

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2005, 09:28 AM
I cannot wait until 2025 when both teams are playing in different ballparks and everyone stops talking about how great they are because of their old crappy stadiums.You won't have to wait nearly that long. Concrete doesn't last forever. They've already got nets up. 5 more years. 10 at the outside.

nedlug
08-12-2005, 09:53 AM
Crap, I don't want the Cubs in my backyard. I mean, my parents live in Schaumburg, what would that do to their property value?

Whatever they lose in property value, they can gain with a $50 parking spot for 81 days a year. That's 4K right there just for 1 car!

PaleHoseGeorge
08-12-2005, 10:27 AM
You won't have to wait nearly that long. Concrete doesn't last forever. They've already got nets up. 5 more years. 10 at the outside.

The crumbling concrete and irreparable structural decay (something the Cubune *still* hasn't admitted to) will ultimately be the excuse the Cubune uses for tearing off the entire upper deck and triple-decking everything along the foul lines -- plus luxury boxes, of course.

The nets are strictly there for show. "Look, we're doing everything we can to make it safe but netting can't fix the REAL problem... we need a whole new upper deck."

If that doesn't work, they'll bring in the Commissioner's Office to do their bidding. "MLB has informed us we cannot hold playoff games at Wrigley Field and requires us to name an alternate site before the season begins. We at the Cubune have chosen St. Louis, because it is a National League park."

Mark my words. The work will all be completed inside of the next 10 years. If the Cubune can shove lights down City Hall's throat, you can bet they'll get their triple-deck grandstand, too.

:knue
"Not that the Cubune newspaper would have any special interest in swaying public opinion on this subject, of course..."

cheeses_h_rice
08-12-2005, 10:39 AM
The crumbling concrete and irreparable structural decay (something the Cubune *still* hasn't admitted to) will ultimately be the excuse the Cubune uses for tearing off the entire upper deck and triple-decking everything along the foul lines -- plus luxury boxes, of course.

The nets are strictly there for show. "Look, we're doing everything we can to make it safe but netting can't fix the REAL problem... we need a whole new upper deck."

If that doesn't work, they'll bring in the Commissioner's Office to do their bidding. "MLB has informed us we cannot hold playoff games at Wrigley Field and requires us to name an alternate site before the season begins. We at the Cubune have chosen St. Louis, because it is a National League park."

Mark my words. The work will all be completed inside of the next 10 years. If the Cubune can shove lights down City Hall's throat, you can bet they'll get their triple-deck grandstand, too.

:knue
"Not that the Cubune newspaper would have any special interest in swaying public opinion on this subject, of course..."

Does this mean that Sox fans can soon start making fun of the Flubs' ballpark for its ridiculously steep upper deck?

:)

Ol' No. 2
08-12-2005, 10:41 AM
Does this mean that Sox fans can soon start making fun of the Flubs' ballpark for its ridiculously steep upper deck?

:)No. Then it will be transformed into a virtue that the White Sox copied.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-12-2005, 10:44 AM

Oh don't think Blair Kamin won't be doing side by side comparisions of each ballpark's upper deck. I *guarantee* the Flubs will make their deck at least 1 degree less steep with 100 fewer obstructed view seats. Then they'll invite all the media to do comparisions in all of their press releases and public relations efforts. You can book it.

:cubune
Cubs Do Upper Deck Right!

chitownhawkfan
08-12-2005, 12:53 PM
"Maybe Fenway is Wrigley East"... This comes as a revelation to you? :?: Maybe the Red Sox are the Cubs East, Maybe their fans are just as annoying and self absorbed. etc

The only reason I dont want the shrine to completely crumble is it would mean a lot more dumbasses at our games. But man would it be funny to see the look on their faces when it does happen. HAHA thats a good one.

Nellie_Fox
08-12-2005, 11:59 PM

The nets are strictly there for show. "Look, we're doing everything we can to make it safe but netting can't fix the REAL problem... we need a whole new upper deck." This is not the kind of "fix" that can be done in one off-season. I doubt that the foundation of the lower deck is structurally sound enough to support that kind of addition, and even if it were, putting up a whole new upper deck with layered luxury suites would take more than a few months.

Where do you suppose the Cubs would play while an entire season is lost to the rebuilding? The Yankees were able to use Shea during the season that Yankee Stadium was renovated because Shea belongs to the city, but the Sox have the right to veto any other use of U.S. Cellular, and there is no way they'd allow the Cubs to use it.

They're going to have to bite the same bullet the Sox did, and build a whole new place while still playing in Wrigley, then move after construction is complete. However, with the recent Supreme Court decision, I'm quite certain that they could use "eminent domain" to seize a bunch of property right in the same neighborhood to build the new park. They'll make it reminiscent enough of Wrigley to sell the lemmings on the idea that it's Wrigley, only better!

Ol' No. 2
08-13-2005, 08:03 AM
This is not the kind of "fix" that can be done in one off-season. I doubt that the foundation of the lower deck is structurally sound enough to support that kind of addition, and even if it were, putting up a whole new upper deck with layered luxury suites would take more than a few months.

Where do you suppose the Cubs would play while an entire season is lost to the rebuilding? The Yankees were able to use Shea during the season that Yankee Stadium was renovated because Shea belongs to the city, but the Sox have the right to veto any other use of U.S. Cellular, and there is no way they'd allow the Cubs to use it.

They're going to have to bite the same bullet the Sox did, and build a whole new place while still playing in Wrigley, then move after construction is complete. However, with the recent Supreme Court decision, I'm quite certain that they could use "eminent domain" to seize a bunch of property right in the same neighborhood to build the new park. They'll make it reminiscent enough of Wrigley to sell the lemmings on the idea that it's Wrigley, only better!The Sox don't own USCF, either. It's owned by the ISFA. I don't know what exclusivity arrangements they have with the Sox, but if Reinsdorf could make a nice profit on the deal, it would not surprise me if Reinsdorf would allow it.

SpringfldFan
08-13-2005, 09:17 AM
Tony Danza threw out the first pitch.http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/File-Based_Image_Resource/dingbat_story_end_icon.gif

Why Danza? Didn't he play for the Angels?

:tongue:

Nellie_Fox
08-14-2005, 01:40 AM
The Sox don't own USCF, either. It's owned by the ISFA. I don't know what exclusivity arrangements they have with the Sox, but if Reinsdorf could make a nice profit on the deal, it would not surprise me if Reinsdorf would allow it.Reinsdorf didn't get to where he is by being a stupid, short-sighted businessman.

The Cubs are his #1 competition in Chicago. Wrigley Field is a huge attraction. To take short-term dollars to allow the Tribune Company to renovate Wrigley instead of having to move and tear it down would be foolish. The death of Wrigley would level the playing field for the Sox in Chicago.