PDA

View Full Version : Biggest clutch performance in Yankees Series

pinwheels3530
08-10-2005, 05:35 PM
My vote goes to Jose Contreras. His dominating performance Tuesday night is the key reason why the Sox took the series against the Yanks. When he pitches with that kind of confidence he can dominate any team.

Aaron Rowand comes in second with his spectacular plays in centerfield through out the whole series.

Chips
08-10-2005, 05:37 PM
I would give it to Rowand. He was everywhere all three games. Make some of the best catches this season. Jose only pitched in one game, and pitched great, very clutch, but I give the nod to Rowand and Jose can come in second, with Hermanson deserving some credit as well. They all played great.

SouthSideSid
08-10-2005, 05:39 PM
Conteras and Freddie get my vote. We win with pitching and defense and they stepped up and did their part of it. Even El Duque was strong as hell.
We just took two out of three from the Yankees in New York with their starting pitchers stringing what is probably their best three consecutive starts in a good long time.

Sweet.

pinwheels3530
08-10-2005, 05:57 PM
I would give it to Rowand. He was everywhere all three games. Make some of the best catches this season. Jose only pitched in one game, and pitched great, very clutch, but I give the nod to Rowand and Jose can come in second, with Hermanson deserving some credit as well. They all played great.

I still say Jose because he has been inconsistent. That's the one game everyone thought the Yankees would just pound the Sox.

hawkjt
08-10-2005, 06:00 PM
I agree with Jose cuz he took the pressure off today by winning last nite.

soxjim
08-10-2005, 06:40 PM
My vote goes to Rowand. Also we had 2 lights out starts by Garcia and Contreras. Throw in a quality start by Hernandez. 2 out of 3 at the Bronx zoo I will take it.

SOXfnNlansing
08-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Rowand and Hermy (because I read that he's been having back problems lately) playing flawlessly throughout the whole series

Brian26
08-10-2005, 08:29 PM
Anyone remember that big night game Britt Burns pitched at Yankee Stadium in August of '83? Contreras' start reminds me a lot of that performance. Unexpected and gutsy.

veeter
08-10-2005, 08:31 PM
What a fun problem to have. Which guy had the best performance and there are many grinders to choose from. I have to give it to Rowand because he set the tone with the very first AND second batters of the series. He lit the fire for the team.

jehosaphat
08-10-2005, 08:54 PM
Anyone remember that big night game Britt Burns pitched at Yankee Stadium in August of '83? Contreras' start reminds me a lot of that performance. Unexpected and gutsy.

Britt Burns was one of my alltime favorite players. His gutsy performance in the ALCS deserves special mention/remembrance. He'd fit in great with the 2005 team.

I think there is a possibility that Jose just had a good night, and that the inconsistent (but underrated in my mind) Jose will return. But, there is also the possibility that this game will put him over the hump. Perhaps he exorcised some mental demons in Bronx. He really does have just as good of stuff as the "Big 3" - hopefully we'll all be talking about the "Big 4" at the end of the season.

And as for Rowand, he has truly come into his own. Move over Britt, there another player coming in to join you in the Jehosaphat Hall of Fame.

Brian26
08-10-2005, 09:03 PM

I actually just looked it up on Retrosheet. It was August 15, 2003 (almost exactly 22 years ago) at Yankee Stadium:Chicago White Sox IP H R ER BB SO HRBurns (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/Pburnb001.htm) W(7-6) 9 3 0 0 0 7 0