PDA

View Full Version : Is this another "turning" point of the season?

mrwag
08-10-2005, 03:51 PM
We've talked about key points in the season before. Could this be another one? The Sox were pretty flat for the past few weeks, but showed some true grit against the Yankees. Everyone was concerned about this rough stretch in the schedule, and with Frank going down things looked even more bleak. But they pulled this series win out, and played like true champions. I feel a strong run coming on!

Go Go White Sox!:supernana:

PatK
08-10-2005, 03:53 PM
I think it's more of a turning point for ESPN and the media in general.

SoxFan78
08-10-2005, 03:53 PM
It was a important series for the Sox BUT...

their offense really needs to wake up. These games should of been a sweep by the Sox if they could of got some clutch hitting.

Dont get me wrong, im very happy with the win today.

batmanZoSo
08-10-2005, 03:54 PM
I hope it is, though I don't buy into regular season melodrama like that too much. We needed to be woken up a little and I'm sure winning 2/3 hard fought games in the Bronx against a team and crowd fired up to beat us will give this team a boost of confidence.

This will be one of the more memorable series of the championship season, that's fo' sho'.

Madvora
08-10-2005, 03:55 PM
To be winning these games when our offense is total crap, just shows how good this team is.

Baby Fisk
08-10-2005, 03:59 PM
To be winning these games when our offense is total crap, just shows how good this team is.
If they are ON during the playoffs, The Big 3 (Buehrle, Garland, Garcia) will carry this team deep into October. It's all coming together nicely, and this series proved it. Of course, it's not so much that the Sox won an emotionally charged series, but the Yankees have stalled in their drive for the playoffs. :rolleyes:

Ol' No. 2
08-10-2005, 04:02 PM
If they are ON during the playoffs, The Big 3 (Buehrle, Garland, Garcia) will carry this team deep into October. It's all coming together nicely, and this series proved it. Of course, it's not so much that the Sox won an emotionally charged series, but the Yankees have stalled in their drive for the playoffs. :rolleyes:http://espn.go.com/i/columnists/phillips_steve_m.jpg "Yeah, but with this offense, if the pitching starts to falter they're going to be in trouble."

ChicagoHoosier
08-10-2005, 04:06 PM
I'd say this series is the beginning of what could be "another" defining moment. I want to see if we can keep this momentum going with our two studs pitching Friday and Saturday and then our big game pitcher out for revenge on Sunday. If we could win two out of three in Fenway, and have taken 4/6 on the road in this NY/Boston trip, that would make another statement.

If, however, we drop two of three, then we've gone .500 in this road trip and I'm not sure that proves anything other than we're still a good, solid ballclub with the best record and deservingly so in the majors. But I think it would eliminate the "statement" we have started to make with this game.

Having said all that... these two series do nothing to sway my opinion of this team. I don't need them to make a statement in every big series to show me this is a special ballclub.

Bucky F. Dent
08-10-2005, 04:13 PM
The next twelve games: three against the Red Sox, three against the Yanks, and six against the Twinkie can effectively salt away the regular season for the boys.

That said, GOOD GOD, we're 35 games over five hundred!

TornLabrum
08-10-2005, 04:13 PM
In answer only to the thread title: It's hard to have a "turning point" when you've been leading the pack since day one.

kevingrt
08-10-2005, 04:24 PM
This is a turning point in the season. The fielding (mainly Aaron) and the pitching we know can win any game put to them. If this hitting heats up like maybe more then three runs a game. This team is a serious World Series winning contender.

wdelaney72
08-10-2005, 04:47 PM
http://espn.go.com/i/columnists/phillips_steve_m.jpg "Yeah, but with this offense, if the pitching starts to falter they're going to be in trouble."

And this just in... the color of the White House is... WHITE!

Allow me to modify your quote No. 2
http://espn.go.com/i/columnists/phillips_steve_m.jpg"When I was GM of the Mets, many suggested building the kind of team the White Sox currently have. My response always was, 'with that kind of offense, if the pitching starts to falter we're going to be in trouble.'"

ma-gaga
08-10-2005, 04:58 PM
I think that the W.Sox need a 'defining moment'.

Unfortunately with the double digit division lead, I don't think that you are going to get one. Maybe if you sweep the Twins next week, something will happen. But there is almost no intensity/fight left in the Twins.

bah. :gulp:

Rooney4Prez56
08-10-2005, 09:45 PM
There are no turning points. We've been heading straight for October since day 1.

elrod
08-10-2005, 11:06 PM
The next twelve games: three against the Red Sox, three against the Yanks, and six against the Twinkie can effectively salt away the regular season for the boys.

I'm not convinced the Twins are a quality opponent anymore. They'll probably be below .500 when we get them next week.

The Red Sox series will be tough because they've won 11 straight at home and their offense is on fire.

elrod
08-10-2005, 11:07 PM
I think that the W.Sox need a 'defining moment'.

Unfortunately with the double digit division lead, I don't think that you are going to get one. Maybe if you sweep the Twins next week, something will happen. But there is almost no intensity/fight left in the Twins.

bah. :gulp:

That's what I was thinking. The Twins have checked it in already, like we did last year in August.

Chips
08-10-2005, 11:35 PM
I'm not convinced the Twins are a quality opponent anymore. They'll probably be below .500 when we get them next week.

The Red Sox series will be tough because they've won 11 straight at home and their offense is on fire.

The Twinkies are definetly not a quality opponent anymore, they have been playing like horse**** for the last few weeks and they don't show any signs of turning it around.

Boston doesn't scare me too much, we got Mark and Jon pitching the first two games and I think their stuff is good enough to slow their hitters down. But our offense needs to wake up because I think we might need more than 2 runs to win these games.

SOX ADDICT '73
08-10-2005, 11:54 PM
You're several months too late. Our turning point was the off-season, when KW acquired Dye, Pods, Hermanson, AJ, El Duque, & Iguchi, and (to a lesser extent) Ozuna, Vizcaino, Jenks, & Widger. Each of those guys has been a hero at one time or another this year.

Ditching Magg$ was pretty huge too - I don't care what he's been doing for Detroit lately, this team would be an absolute shambles right now if he'd accepted any of Uncle Jerry's contract offers. Try to imagine Borchard in RF until the All-star Break without throwing up.

elrod
08-11-2005, 01:10 AM
Boston is playing much better lately than when they came to the Cell. I think when the trade deadline passed without Manny going anywhere, the Red Sox settled in and have been playing solid baseball. They're on a real hot streak right now - especially the hitting.