PDA

View Full Version : 3:23 PM CDT: All is Right in Cubbieville

TomBradley72
08-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Flipping channels following another "White Sox Winner"....as I surf by the Cubs game, I happily notice they are losing their 3rd straight to the Reds...8-1....then see their embarrassing 7th Inning stretch ritual...this time it's Wade Boggs (sporting his Harry Caray costume glasses) and as the PA announcer described: "standing next to him...future Hall of Famer...Ryne Sandberg")...Wade then sings the whole song doing a horrible Harry Caray impression.

Sandberg just smiles blankly though the entire thing...doesn't say a word....like a mannequin.

The lemmings laugh, drink their beer, and cheer.

When it's over...they show two smiling old ladies in huge, Cub floppy hats....and go to commercial.

Just a few minutes earlier I watched the WSox dig out a victory in the third straight classic at Yankee Stadium...featuring great defense, great pitching and a play off atmosphere.

The contrast filled my heart with pride.

cleanwsox
08-10-2005, 04:37 PM
It's definitely the year of the White Sox in Chicago.

LuvSox
08-10-2005, 04:44 PM
That's funny stuff.

I was flipping back and forth in between innings of the Sox game earlier. The Flubs were taking it hard as usual when the camera showed a female Wrigley fan hold up a sign that said:

Dear Cubs:
Please Stop Losing.

Now that was funny!

cheeses_h_rice
08-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Flipping channels following another "White Sox Winner"....as I surf by the Cubs game, I happily notice they are losing their 3rd straight to the Reds...8-1....then see their embarrassing 7th Inning stretch ritual...this time it's Wade Boggs (sporting his Harry Caray costume glasses) and as the PA announcer described: "standing next to him...future Hall of Famer...Ryne Sandberg")...Wade then sings the whole song doing a horrible Harry Caray impression.

Sandberg just smiles blankly though the entire thing...doesn't say a word....like a mannequin.

The lemmings laugh, drink their beer, and cheer.

When it's over...they show two smiling old ladies in huge, Cub floppy hats....and go to commercial.

Just a few minutes earlier I watched the WSox dig out a victory in the third straight classic at Yankee Stadium...featuring great defense, great pitching and a play off atmosphere.

The contrast filled my heart with pride.

Post of the Week, Tom.

:thumbsup:

soltrain21
08-10-2005, 04:57 PM
I was watching a few minutes ago and a little kid held up a sign saying "I love this place."

I will assume he was talking about 4th place, right?

Mickster
08-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Post of the Week, Tom.

:thumbsup:

Cheeses, is that poo in your signature? :D:

ClaudelSleptHere
08-10-2005, 04:58 PM
My signature Cub fan moment came earlier in the week when Wood struck out a guy to end the eighth inning in a game the Cubs were losing 9-0, and the crowd gave him a standing ovation while the camera showed a lady holding a sign that said "Dynomite."

PatK
08-10-2005, 04:59 PM
I was watching a few minutes ago and a little kid held up a sign saying "I love this place."

:D::D:ROFLMAO!!!!!

cheeses_h_rice
08-10-2005, 05:00 PM

OK, SECOND Post of the Week.

:roflmao:

Rocky Soprano
08-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Yesterday on Fox News they showed some girl holding a sign that said: Dad says if the Cubs lose I have to walk home.

Corey then said, I hope that girl doesnt live in Rockford.

HILARIOUS!

ChiWhiteSox1337
08-10-2005, 05:07 PM
I'm loving it. There's some person out here that flys a W or L flag in his yard depending on the outcome, and he hasn't had to worry about changing it lately. :smile:

dcb33
08-10-2005, 05:09 PM

With Cincy playing decent ball and the Cubs taking on StL and Houston, he may get a chance to try 5th place on for size in a few days. The Reds are only 2 behind the Cubs after today's ass-whipping.

LuvSox
08-10-2005, 05:10 PM
I'm loving it. There's some person out here that flys a W or L flag in his yard depending on the outcome, and he hasn't had to worry about changing it lately. :smile:

The "L" is probably all tattered and weather beaten, the "W" is crisp and clean. :D:

downstairs
08-10-2005, 05:13 PM
THREE walked-in-runs in one inning.

That has to be close to a record?

Of course they only *needed* one of those seven runs.

TornLabrum
08-10-2005, 05:23 PM
My signature Cub fan moment came earlier in the week when Wood struck out a guy to end the eighth inning in a game the Cubs were losing 9-0, and the crowd gave him a standing ovation while the camera showed a lady holding a sign that said "Dynomite."

Wood got a standing O after his scoreless inning of relief today, too. I'm not sure how many people knew the Cubs were down 8-1 at the time. The Cubs did manage a comeback in the 9th, though, so the final was 8-2. I imagine the fans thought their boys won.

DumpJerry
08-10-2005, 05:25 PM
The Cubs did manage a comeback in the 9th, though, so the final was 8-2.
Sounds like Comeback of the Year. Saved the season for them!

cheeses_h_rice
08-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Wood got a standing O after his scoreless inning of relief today, too.

What?!?

How could anyone in the stands cheer anything related to that pathetic excuse for a team?

spiffie
08-10-2005, 05:27 PM
I believe that makes 6 losses in a row since Nomar, Wood, and Williamson returned to save the season and propel the Cubs towards a playoff berth and inevitable World Series appearance.

SoxSpeed22
08-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Cheeses, is that poo in your signature? :D:That's Meatwad! from Aqua Teen Hunger Force. link (http://www.adultswim.com/shows/athf/index.html?showId=316905&name=Aqua%20Teen&timezone=EST)
In the postgame show on Comcast, Josh Mora chewed them the heck out for playing pathetic ball for 8 games. They have 4 games with the Cardinals and then go to Houston. I really don't remember the 2004 Sox ever playin' like that. When do we start diggin' their graves?

cheeses_h_rice
08-10-2005, 05:38 PM
That's Meatwad! from Aqua Teen Hunger Force. link (http://www.adultswim.com/shows/athf/index.html?showId=316905&name=Aqua%20Teen&timezone=EST)
In the postgame show on Comcast, Josh Mora chewed them the heck out for playing pathetic ball for 8 games. They have 4 games with the Cardinals and then go to Houston. I really don't remember the 2004 Sox ever playin' like that.

The Sox were never that bad at a stretch, but the 2004 Sox from July 'til they were eliminated were not a good team. I stopped watching, I was so disgusted with their play.

whtsx1959
08-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Yesterday on Fox News they showed some girl holding a sign that said: Dad says if the Cubs lose I have to walk home.

Corey then said, I hope that girl doesnt live in Rockford.

HILARIOUS!
Please, she's probably from Iowa. A walk to Rockford would only take a day or two, how could that be a punishment for a seven game (at the time) losing streak.

SoxSpeed22
08-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Just dump the bodies in the river after midnight.Concrete feet or rolled up?:redneck

Brian26
08-10-2005, 05:50 PM
The Sox were never that bad at a stretch, but the 2004 Sox from July 'til they were eliminated were not a good team. I stopped watching, I was so disgusted with their play.

They were in 1st place on July 24....so let's say after the Torii-Burke incident (I think it was 7/25 or 7/26) and on.

LuvSox
08-10-2005, 05:58 PM
We may not have the most wins in MLB after this weekend folks. The Cards have three at Wrigley, they will probably sweep. I hope we do too, don't get me wrong, but Boston is a much better foe then the Flubs.

Not a big deal really, just happy to be playoff bound!!!!:)

soxwon
08-10-2005, 07:33 PM
Wood got a standing O after his scoreless inning of relief today, too. I'm not sure how many people knew the Cubs were down 8-1 at the time. The Cubs did manage a comeback in the 9th, though, so the final was 8-2. I imagine the fans thought their boys won.

well after this season Kerry can go back to urinating in mesa alleys.
remember his rookie season, when he was arrested for public urination?

rowand33
08-10-2005, 07:44 PM
y'know... The Cubs only have two games over the Reds right now.

The Cubs play the Cards then the Astros (yes, it's possible they lose every one of those games and go on a 15 game losing streak), the Reds play the Brew Crew then the Giants...

they could soon be the 5th place Cubs.
:gulp:

and after that?

Go Pirates :cool:

soxwon
08-10-2005, 07:48 PM

The Cubs play the Cards then the Astros (yes, it's possible they lose every one of those games and go on a 15 game losing streak), the Reds play the Brew Crew then the Giants...

and after that?

pirates huh- wont happen
the Bucs will trade the cubs two of their best players so the cubs stay ahead of them...

TomBradley72
08-10-2005, 08:38 PM
pirates huh- wont happen
the Bucs will trade the cubs two of their best players so the cubs stay ahead of them...

To quote Todd Walker from an interview played on The Score today..."the enemy of good is great"...

eastchicagosoxfan
08-10-2005, 08:47 PM

and after that?

And the Flubs get another high first round pick, which goes to the next " Messiah "

C-Dawg
08-10-2005, 09:06 PM

I got home from work at 5:15 and watched the news to see replays of Uribe's thrilling run in the 10th at New York, followed by another outstanding catch by Aaron Rowand - all of which was followed by footage of Boggs at Wrigley Field in his RED SOX jersey. Looks like they're still trying to catch whatever magic the Red Sox used to defeat their curse - but its just not working in Chicago, LOL! I can only imagine the Cubbie faithful, seeing Boggs in his jersey... "Oh, hey, look, he's from the Red Sox; maybe he'll show us the way to beat the curse!"

:chunks:

C-Dawg
08-10-2005, 09:19 PM
We may not have the most wins in MLB after this weekend folks. The Cards have three at Wrigley, they will probably sweep.

Of course, when and if that happens, the headline in the Cubune the next day will read:

SLUMPING SOX NOT BEST TEAM IN BASEBALL ANYMORE

CUBS MAKE IT ALL POSSIBLE BY GETTING SWEPT BY CARDINALS

SOX SQUEAK BY WITH WIN IN BOSTON

(I know this isn't the forum for these headlines but I wanted to be the first to post this one - which you know IS inevitable if St. Louis passes us)

StrTrkker
08-11-2005, 01:35 AM
I got home from work at 5:15 and watched the news to see replays of Uribe's thrilling run in the 10th at New York, followed by another outstanding catch by Aaron Rowand - all of which was followed by footage of Boggs at Wrigley Field in his RED SOX jersey. Looks like they're still trying to catch whatever magic the Red Sox used to defeat their curse - but its just not working in Chicago, LOL! I can only imagine the Cubbie faithful, seeing Boggs in his jersey... "Oh, hey, look, he's from the Red Sox; maybe he'll show us the way to beat the curse!"

:

They have a curse??? I just thought they just sucked...

:)

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-11-2005, 02:39 AM
i could care less about the best record in baseball as long as we make the playoffs. To quote my Mailmain "That don't mean nothin' till they win" (who by the way is a cub fan)

Domeshot17
08-11-2005, 04:42 AM
You know, I remember hearing a Joke when I was younger that Cubs meant Completely useless by september. My dad then told me it was originally completely useless by august, but the Chicago Cuba was deemed racist. I didnt get it then, but it dawned on me about last week out of no where and I laughed my @$$ off.

I think the Tribune honestly loves the losing. Cubs fans spend more on stuff involving the phrase reverse the curse then we do on shirts with the words CUBS SUCK on the back. If the Cubs ever won a series, the entire city of Chicago would be at a loss. Cubs fans wouldnt be able to eat anymore Goat or Sauce made out of a burned baseball, and Sox fans would lose the awesome buckett drummer under the 35th street bridge that plays the Cubs Suck march.

And for all those wondering why Kerry Wood gets standing ovations, it's because he has become the Darko of the mlb. When the game is so far out of reach now, the Cubs bring in Kerry, Signalling its only a half hour until all the cubs fans get to go pack into the Cubby Bar and talk about Ryno and Slammin Sammy, who some still don't realize is gone (and yes this is true. Woar my Tadahito shirt to dinner last night, where a Cubs fan in a Sammy shirt thought Iguchi was the closer. Then when I asked him to name someone on the Cubs who was good besides Lee or Prior, he pointed to his Sammy Sosa shirt)