PDA

View Full Version : Should Sox-Twins Games Be Downgraded In Intensity?

infohawk
08-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Obviously you never want to take any series for granted. I'm not suggesting that the Sox approach the games expecting the Twins to roll-over. One need only look at how the Royals took two out of three last time we played.

It seems, though, that a few weeks ago our August and September schedule looked "tough" because we have so many games against teams like the Yankees, Red Sox and, especially, the Twins. My question is whether or not you guys think that perhaps the Twins games should now be "downgraded" a bit. Clearly the Twins are not in the hunt for the division, and are in a free-fall in the race for the wild card. If they continue to play bad baseball, it significantly changes the entire complexion of our remaining schedule. I'm just curious as to everyone's thoughts.

Madvora
08-10-2005, 12:38 PM
I don't think the Sox should play it that way, but of course there isn't the intensity there was earlier in the season for the fans.

We've already proven we could be the Twins even when they were winning the wild card. Now they've dropped to 3rd place and are barely above .500. I'm not worried about our abilities against theirs.

zach23
08-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Obviously you never want to take any series for granted. I'm not suggesting that the Sox approach the games expecting the Twins to roll-over. One need only look at how the Royals took two out of three last time we played.

It seems, though, that a few weeks ago our August and September schedule looked "tough" because we have so many games against teams like the Yankees, Red Sox and, especially, the Twins. My question is whether or not you guys think that perhaps the Twins games should now be "downgraded" a bit. Clearly the Twins are not in the hunt for the division, and are in a free-fall in the race for the wild card. If they continue to play bad baseball, it significantly changes the entire complexion of our remaining schedule. I'm just curious as to everyone's thoughts.

I think some of the White Sox players that have been around the past few years would enjoy burying the Twins during these remaining games.

Iwritecode
08-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Somehow I think the Twins will step up their game against the Sox.

RedPinStripes
08-10-2005, 05:24 PM
I think some of the White Sox players that have been around the past few years would enjoy burying the Twins during these remaining games.

Same here. Rub it in their face as much as possible.

Unregistered
08-10-2005, 05:29 PM
Somehow I think the Twins will step up their game against the Sox.If they're 17 or 18 games back by the time the series starts, it won't really matter all that much.

No matter how much Nick Punto and Lew Ford kick and scream. :rolleyes:

wdelaney72
08-10-2005, 06:25 PM
Somehow I think the Twins will step up their game against the Sox.
Agreed.

Agreed.

The Twins series might serve as a nice little adrenaline push going into the postseason. I hope our offense wakes up and pounds the crap out of Minnesota, along with some quality slides into 2nd base.

soxwon
08-10-2005, 07:35 PM

true its not as significant, but its well worth it to rub the Twinkies face in their own poop.

MIgrenade
08-10-2005, 07:52 PM
Something tells me AJ might take pride in winning those series. I remember when the Twins rolled through the first time and the players said the Sox weren't that good and "we will see where the teams are in August." Welcome to August.

soxjim
08-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Not much to say but lets keep on winning series no matter who we face.

JohnBasedowYoda
08-10-2005, 08:10 PM
no, nuff said

chisoxmike
08-10-2005, 08:48 PM
I've got three reasons not to let up

I want the Sox to absolutely just stick the knife in deeper next week. Demoralize the Twins! Get back for three years of unfulfilled expectations.

Tragg
08-10-2005, 09:06 PM
The Twins deserve a good beating.

I hope we are focused on delivering one.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-10-2005, 09:10 PM
ALL the games between now and October should be downgraded in intensity.

Stay healthy. That's the #1 priority, especially for our pitchers. These Twins games are hardly more than exhibitions at this point.

Sucks to be them.
:cool:

FarWestChicago
08-10-2005, 09:14 PM

Stay healthy. That's the #1 priority, especially for our pitchers. These Twins games are hardly more than exhibitions at this point.This is true for sensible people. The Dark Clouds can still "die" every night and see the season end. :redneck

Brian26
08-10-2005, 09:50 PM

Stay healthy. That's the #1 priority, especially for our pitchers. These Twins games are hardly more than exhibitions at this point.

I agree with you to an extent, but I do NOT want this team mailing it in for the last three weeks and then not being able to perform in the playoffs. I think that was partly to blame for the 2000 playoff debacle. If you look at the past few years, the teams that do well in the playoffs generally are the ones that go in on a hot streak.

Ol' No. 2
08-10-2005, 09:52 PM

Sucks to be them.
:cool:That's kind of a dangerous game. Once you've turned down the intensity, there's no guarantee you can turn it back up again in October. Certainly you rest players more than you might if it were a tight race. And staying healthy is essential. But you tend to lose the edge if you're not going all out every game. It's a fine line, but I think Ozzie knows what he's doing.

And nothing would be better for the psyche of this team than pounding the crap out of the Twins.

Rooney4Prez56
08-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Something tells me AJ might take pride in winning those series. I remember when the Twins rolled through the first time and the players said the Sox weren't that good and "we will see where the teams are in August." Welcome to August.

Exactly. No lead is big enough to show up the Twins in front of those ESPN talking heads who said that the Sox weren't going anywhere.