PDA

View Full Version : Pinch Hitting thread

bennyw41
08-10-2005, 10:56 AM
I always hear about how Pinch hitters are supposed to swing at the first pitch, and I never understood the baseball logic to this. Any insights?

SOXfnNlansing
08-10-2005, 11:06 AM
conventional wisdom says to pinch hit not pinch walk (unless Big Frank is called upon to pinch hit)

bennyw41
08-10-2005, 11:12 AM
That doesn't explain why they should be swinging away at the very first pitch.

Rooney4Prez56
08-10-2005, 10:09 PM
I dont see why pinch hitters shouldn't bat the same way as a normal hitter. i.e. take 1st pitch, take 3-0 pitch, swing on 3-1, etc. After all, they're trying to put the ball in play, not necessarily hit a home run.

Daver
08-10-2005, 10:19 PM
I always hear about how Pinch hitters are supposed to swing at the first pitch, and I never understood the baseball logic to this. Any insights?

That was a Casey Stengel thing, he wanted pinch hitters to send a message to the pitcher. Casey was a master of the mental game.

Trav
08-10-2005, 10:27 PM
Could be that pinch hitters are generally put in with men on and with men on you want the hitter being aggressive because the pitcher is going to try and get ahead even more than usual.

Chips
08-11-2005, 12:03 AM
I dont see why pinch hitters shouldn't bat the same way as a normal hitter. i.e. take 1st pitch, take 3-0 pitch, swing on 3-1, etc. After all, they're trying to put the ball in play, not necessarily hit a home run.

This makes sense to me, why would you swing a pitches out of the zone just because its the first pitch. Make the pitcher nervous by throwing balls. Unless Willie Harris is on deck, then that pinch hitter should be swinging at everything close to get a hit.

TimoandAaron
08-11-2005, 12:09 AM
I always hear about how Pinch hitters are supposed to swing at the first pitch, and I never understood the baseball logic to this. Any insights?this is why you swing at the first pitch........http://www.pennantchase.com/Paulie.wmv