PDA

View Full Version : Its not butter its Parque


beausox
11-27-2001, 07:38 PM
What do we do with Jim this year. In my opinion the rotation (right now) is:

Buerhle
K. Wells
J. Garland
D. Wright

I might be missing someone.

So that leaves Parque competing with Glover and Lowe for the 5th spot. He'd be a nice second lefty out of the pen behind Wunsch. He's not worth anything in trade until he proves he's healthy.

Daver
11-27-2001, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by beausox
What do we do with Jim this year. In my opinion the rotation (right now) is:

Buerhle
K. Wells
J. Garland
D. Wright

I might be missing someone.

So that leaves Parque competing with Glover and Lowe for the 5th spot. He'd be a nice second lefty out of the pen behind Wunsch. He's not worth anything in trade until he proves he's healthy.

Wright does not belong on that list,Biddle does.Kip Wells is not your #2 starter by any stretch.

Jerry_Manuel
11-27-2001, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by daver
Wright does not belong on that list,Biddle does.Kip Wells is not your #2 starter by any stretch.

I think Glover is a lock for the rotation unless he has a horrible spring.

SOXSINCE'70
11-27-2001, 08:55 PM
I'd rather see Glover in long relief.

:beer

kermittheefrog
11-27-2001, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by beausox
What do we do with Jim this year. In my opinion the rotation (right now) is:

Buerhle
K. Wells
J. Garland
D. Wright

I might be missing someone.

So that leaves Parque competing with Glover and Lowe for the 5th spot. He'd be a nice second lefty out of the pen behind Wunsch. He's not worth anything in trade until he proves he's healthy.

Wright was clearly overmatched, Glover will probably be in the rotation instead.

duke of dorwood
11-27-2001, 09:24 PM
With the whole bullpen back, Wunsch, Osuna, Foulke, Gascan, Barcelo, Kip, Sean Lowe may still be a starter. I'd rather have him start than Danny Wright at this point.

kermittheefrog
11-27-2001, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
With the whole bullpen back, Wunsch, Osuna, Foulke, Gascan, Barcelo, Kip, Sean Lowe may still be a starter. I'd rather have him start than Danny Wright at this point.

Shouldn't we all know better than to expect Barcelo back?

bringbackrobin
11-27-2001, 11:52 PM
Is there anybody else out there who thinks that Foulke should start? I mean, sure, they say he only has two pitches and hitters would figure him out after a couple of times around. Lets say that's true and his ERA goes up a whole run. That would still be 3.33 sixth best in the American League. Even if it goes up two runs, 4.33 would be right between Ramon Ortiz and Eric Milton. Foulke has said in the past that he would like to be a starter again, and I would rather have 160 innings of 3.33 ERA ball than 81 innings at 2.33.


:reinsy Let Foulke start? That means we'd have to pay him more.

kermittheefrog
11-28-2001, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by bringbackrobin
Is there anybody else out there who thinks that Foulke should start? I mean, sure, they say he only has two pitches and hitters would figure him out after a couple of times around. Lets say that's true and his ERA goes up a whole run. That would still be 3.33 sixth best in the American League. Even if it goes up two runs, 4.33 would be right between Ramon Ortiz and Eric Milton. Foulke has said in the past that he would like to be a starter again, and I would rather have 160 innings of 3.33 ERA ball than 81 innings at 2.33.


:reinsy Let Foulke start? That means we'd have to pay him more.

I'd love to see him as a starter. He does have a curve along with the fastball and change but he rarely throws it anymore.

Kilroy
11-28-2001, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by bringbackrobin
...I would rather have 160 innings of 3.33 ERA ball than 81 innings at 2.33...

Can't argue that, but if Foulke were a starter we'd have to watch Howry try and close out games. I don't think any of us have the stomach for that.

Foulke You
11-28-2001, 02:23 PM
I think the Foulkemeister is best suited for closing. Foulke is my favorite player but he's a 2 pitch pitcher. He does have a slider but it is more of a "show me" pitch and he rarely throws it to guys. Sometimes he'll get someone to swing at a slider out of the zone when they think the 92mph gas is coming but he rarely throws it. Plus as we all know, Foulke tends to lose concentration when he's not out there in the 9th trying to nail down a 1 run game. He tends to be at his worst in non-save situations. Every start is a non save situation so he would have to get a new mindset on pitching. I think Foulke could be a decent starter but you need a top notch closer in today's game and Foulke is our Mariano Rivera. I agree with Kilroy, Howry can't be the closer. If you got a good thing going with Foulkey, don't mess it up. Keep the nastiest change up in the AL out there in the 9th inning when it counts the most. Now, if only Reinsdorf will lock him up for 4 years...

beausox
11-28-2001, 04:55 PM
I agreee with Foulke You on this one. Foulke has got two pitches he can throw for a stike at any time. His curveball is inconsistent. He would go from being a dominating closer to a medicore starter, that sounds like something the Cubs would do to a pitcher.

kermittheefrog
11-28-2001, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by beausox
I agreee with Foulke You on this one. Foulke has got two pitches he can throw for a stike at any time. His curveball is inconsistent. He would go from being a dominating closer to a medicore starter, that sounds like something the Cubs would do to a pitcher.

But we really dont' know how good he'd be a as a starter. Even if his ERA rose 2 runs he'd be our second best starter after Buehrle and be above average.

bringbackrobin
11-28-2001, 06:35 PM
Exactly, we could have a Tim Hudson on our hands and not even know it. Why not try it, and if it doesn't work, then move him back to closer.