PDA

View Full Version : Espn radio talked about the Sox.......

He gone
08-10-2005, 09:52 AM
Anybody hear Mike Greenburg and Jason Stark talk about the Sox this morning? They said that this series with the Yankees was a test for the Yankees not the Sox to show how good they are. They also said the reason the Sox don't get must coverage was because the Sox were running away with the Central and it isn't big news when they win because they win alot :?:

They talked about Steve Phillips picking the Sox to win 72 games this year and that the Sox have 2 months left and they have already won that many. They said that Phillips is having a tough time admitting how wrong he was.

They also talked about the Sox winning games by the score of 2-1, 1-0 and said thats how teams in October win playoff games.

This was the 1st time I've ever heard Greenburg (he's a Flubb fan) talk so possitive about the Sox.

SoxFan78
08-10-2005, 10:01 AM
Anybody hear Mike Greenburg and Jason Stark talk about the Sox this morning? They said that this series with the Yankees was a test for the Yankees not the Sox to show how good they are. They also said the reason the Sox don't get must coverage was because the Sox were running away with the Central and it isn't big news when they win because they win alot :?:

So lets see the reasons why the Sox dont get coverage...

- They win too much
- They still have to prove themselves

Isn't winning a lot of games proving yourself?? Who the heck do the Sox have to beat to get first highlights on that gd station? The Yankee all stars with Babe Ruth, Lou Gherig, Joe Dimaggio, Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris.

Even if the Sox did play them, I bet they would get upstaged by Red Sox vs. Devil Rays.

DaveIsHere
08-10-2005, 10:04 AM
Interesting stat that they mentioned.

The Sox have won 8 games when scoring 1 or 2 runs

The Yankees have only won 2 (or was it 1?) games when scoring 3 runs or less.

Then they said how are games won in October??? 2-1, 1-0, 3-2......a pretty good point.

kevingrt
08-10-2005, 10:06 AM

- They win too much

Isn't winning a lot of games proving yourself?? Who the heck do the Sox have to beat to get first highlights on that gd station? The Yankee all stars with Babe Ruth, Lou Gherig, Joe Dimaggio, Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris.

Even if the Sox did play them, I bet they would get upstaged by Red Sox vs. Devil Rays.

The Sox are boring to the national media because the only true personality that comes out in the media is Ozzie Guillen. But nothing really controversial or anything crazy has come out of his mouth lately because the team is doing fine. Clubhouse chemistry is better then ever and there is just not much to talk about if you don't live in Chicago and die black and white.

Hopefully by the time the Sox get to the playoffs some people will have jumped on the bandwagon.

Hangar18
08-10-2005, 10:09 AM

- They win too much

Isn't winning a lot of games proving yourself??

Other reasons the SOX dont get coverage in Chicago
* Cubs are having a bad season
* Cubs are having a great season

cheeses_h_rice
08-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Translation: winning is boring.

Gotcha.

:rolleyes:

zach23
08-10-2005, 10:17 AM
Translation: winning is boring.

Gotcha.

:rolleyes:

With one exception. If the Yankees, Red Cubs, or Cubs have 73 wins on August 10th then winning is exciting and wall to wall coverage is required.

wdelaney72
08-10-2005, 10:22 AM
They also said the reason the Sox don't get must coverage was because the Sox were running away with the Central and it isn't big news when they win because they win alot :?: .
This is clearly the lamest excuse for this fact I've ever heard. Before they started running away they refused to discuss them, and now that it's all but locked up, they don't want to talk about them. BS.

They talked about Steve Phillips picking the Sox to win 72 games this year and that the Sox have 2 months left and they have already won that many. They said that Phillips is having a tough time admitting how wrong he was.

Steve Phillips isn't the only one. Why don't they drill Steve Phillips about this when they have him on the air? Every time I hear him on their show, they ask him about trades and throw a bunch of bouquets at his feet.

Irishsox1
08-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Not that I'm the biggest Mike Greenburg fan, but he talks about the Sox quite often for a national show. He got started in the business covering the White Sox and has said positive things about the Sox orginization. I don't think he's a closet flubbies fan.

Iwritecode
08-10-2005, 10:45 AM
Other reasons the SOX dont get coverage in Chicago
* Cubs

Fixed that for ya...

Lip Man 1
08-10-2005, 01:10 PM
The new ESPN omsbundsmen mentioning something along these lines in the first column he has written since he took the job. (and no this is not the entire column...)

East Coast bias?

In my first month on this job, the biggest complaint from readers through their e-mails had to do with ESPN's perceived East Coast bias. They point to the network being headquartered in Bristol, Conn., under the direction of too many guys with East Coast roots who are not willing to look beyond the Mississippi. Some viewers even point to the hiring of an ombudsman who has worked in Washington, D.C. , the past 36 years as another example of the network not being more inclusive to the entire country. This bias, some viewers note, has resulted over the years in an overabundance of televised games between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox. It's a valid complaint, too, unless you are enamored with those teams or simply enjoy a good rivalry.

"The Yankees and Red Sox are national teams that our ratings show draw large numbers of viewers comparable to what the Dallas Cowboys were to the National Football League in the '80s," said Len DeLuca, ESPN's senior vice president for programming. "Our research shows the Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs and Braves have strong followings beyond their home fans. The Cubs and Braves have that following because of their own superstations.

"But I understand how that sense of bias germinates," DeLuca said. "And on 'SportsCenter' and 'Baseball Tonight,' we have to be cognizant of not being the network of the Red Sox and Yankees, aware we're going to feature the best six or seven games not all 13. If 'Manny being Manny' is the best story of the night, we'll go with it, still doing the best we can with regards to judging the news fairly."

Still, ESPN's decision makers should be more sensitive to the fact that every Yankee-Red Sox game is not the resumption of Bucky Dent stepping back into the batter's box at Fenway or a rematch of the '04 American League playoffs and "Manny being Manny" and "Sheffield being Sheffield" might not play as well in Phoenix as they do in the New York tabloids. ESPN is a national network and could show more awareness of that fact when selecting games to broadcast. "

Lip

Argalarga
08-10-2005, 05:35 PM
The Sox having the best record in baseball = boring.

Joe Torre ordering a bearclaw instead of his usual danish = RATINGS!!!!

Good to know.

faneidde
08-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Guys, the Sox right now are not really that great of a story to a national baseball fan. I remember in 2001, I was much more interested in close races than I was in Seattle wins again. It is the same this year for the White Sox. The whole Sox have come out of nowhere to have the best record in baseball story has played itself out and now the Sox are just the best team in baseball. Other fans I am sure want to hear about the resurgent A's, the national league wildcard, and maybe even the NL West race.

Letmehearya
08-10-2005, 06:08 PM
Real reasons Sox don't receive fair media coverage:

1. Direct competitor [Chicago cubs] are owned by the largest media conglomerate in the United States.
2. Direct competitor [Chicago cubs] are owned by the largest media conglomerate in the United States.
3 Direct competitor [Chicago cubs] are owned by the largest media conglomerate in the United States.
4. Direct competitor [Chicago cubs] are owned by the largest media conglomerate in the United States.

IowaSox1971
08-10-2005, 06:16 PM
The White Sox should be the biggest story of the year. Most experts picked this team to be around .500, perhaps a fringe playoff contender, but this team has the best record in baseball. Why shouldn't this be covered? It's not covered only because the media do not want it to be covered. Covering this story might mean some extra work. Instead of focusing on Manny Ramirez or Joe Torre, the media might have to learn a little bit about Tadahito Iguchi or Dustin Hermanson and then report on these guys and this team. But the media do not want to report a new story. It was the same thing when the Nationals were going good. Frank Robinson complained back in May and June that the Nationals weren't being covered. The media would have had to make some effort to learn something about the Nationals, but the media didn't bother. There are some lazy people in the media.

SouthSideSid
08-10-2005, 06:35 PM
This morning Stark also said that the Sox and the Cardinals wouldn't make it to the Series because even though they have the two best records in their leagues, "They are both flawed teams." This was all he said and then the show ended. I guess I want to know what teams have no flaws - or fewer flaws than the Sox right now.

#1 Flaw of the Sox - We play home games west of the Ohio Valley.

maurice
08-10-2005, 07:10 PM
Our research shows the Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs and Braves have strong followings beyond their home fans. The Cubs and Braves have that following because of their own superstations.

:knue
"That's impossible. The media only
reflects interest; they can't create
interest."

If 'Manny being Manny' is the best story of the night, we'll go with it, still doing the best we can with regards to judging the news fairly.

If they judged the news fairly, they would never, ever conclude that "Manny being Manny is the best story of the night."

Corlose 15
08-10-2005, 08:31 PM
This morning Stark also said that the Sox and the Cardinals wouldn't make it to the Series because even though they have the two best records in their leagues, "They are both flawed teams." This was all he said and then the show ended. I guess I want to know what teams have no flaws - or fewer flaws than the Sox right now.

He said the Sox' flaw was that they don't have any dominating, power strikeout pitchers that you need in the postseason.

With regards to Phillips, he was on Mike and Mike yesterday and basically admitted how wrong he was about the Sox and that they've answered all the questions he had affirmatively. He was actually positive about the Sox. I was shocked.

TornLabrum
08-10-2005, 08:39 PM

Not to be techinical, but we play our home games north of the Ohio Valley.

chisoxfan64
08-10-2005, 09:24 PM
I just don`t care what anybody says about this team anymore. It`s our team and they are the best in baseball. Let`s enjoy every minute of it while we can and to hell with all the media. When the White Sox win the World Series this year, the headlines will probably read

White Sox win World Series, If it was an 11 game series they wouldn`t have stood a chance they just don`t have what it takes.

Ol' No. 2
08-10-2005, 09:32 PM
He said the Sox' flaw was that they don't have any dominating, power strikeout pitchers that you need in the postseason.

With regards to Phillips, he was on Mike and Mike yesterday and basically admitted how wrong he was about the Sox and that they've answered all the questions he had affirmatively. He was actually positive about the Sox. I was shocked.I heard that too. These guys just keep falling into the same trap. They look at the team that won last year and conclude the only way to win is to build a team just like that one. Next year they'll be saying you can't win unless you have a leadoff hitter that can steal a lot of bases.

Brian26
08-10-2005, 09:37 PM
Not to be techinical, but we play our home games north of the Ohio Valley.

Well, I think you're both correct. We play both north and west of the Ohio Valley...probably a little bit more west than north.

Jerko
08-10-2005, 10:44 PM
Let's just say we play west of the Gammons-Brantley line.

TornLabrum
08-10-2005, 11:50 PM
Well, I think you're both correct. We play both north and west of the Ohio Valley...probably a little bit more west than north.

Are we farther west of Cairo than north? The Ohio Valley goes from Pennsylvania all the way to the Mississippi, which the last I looked is WEST of us.

ChiSox14305635
08-11-2005, 01:29 AM
Peter Gammons. Jeff Brantley. Steve Phillips. John Kruk. Harold Reynolds. Collectively, I'd be surprised if they've watched 15 White Sox games between them (and that includes games Brantley & Phillips have broadcast for ESPN). Ironically, the one baseball guy who I couldn't stand a few years ago (because he was always gushing about the Twins) is the one guy who I now like and that's Tim Kurjkian. Buster Olney's okay when he's not reporting on the Yankees every move, but the rest of them I could do without.

Also, not to get off the ESPN topic, but major kudos to the MSNBC guy who picked the Sox to win 90 games and the AL Central. They're not quite there yet, but that man deserves a cold one. :gulp:

gosox3072
08-11-2005, 02:00 AM
Let's just say we play west of the Gammons-Brantley line.
:rolling:

dcoroni
08-11-2005, 04:02 AM
Just like the old "Old Style" commercials with Dennis Farina; "It's our great team, and they can't have em!"
Nuf said!
DCO

Domeshot17
08-11-2005, 04:22 AM
:gulp: Im going to throw one out to one of the East Coast PN'ers Rob Neyer. For those who have insider, and read ALL 20 of the expert opinions, Neyer was the only 1 to pick the sox. Few Others had us second, and the super experts, Gammons and Kruk, had the Twins winning the world Series. Neyer said it was a gut feeling pick, and that the Sox could not finish second, They would either strive in the new style of play or die. But he felt they would strive, win 90+ and take the central away from the Twins in mid August.

He also said about the Twins, they are relying heavily on the thought many young players would succeed. Mauer, Morneau, the rotating door of middle infield has not. This killed Gammons pre season shot in, GASP, a boston pub, talking to the bartender who was also Peter Gammons. And Kruk just seems to love Santana, He still believes Santana is the cy young.

And in terms of Power Pitching, I do believe when the Braves were dominant in the early 90's, they did it with Maddux ( Finesse ) Smoltz (Just flat out good) and Glavine ( Finesse) pitching. I could care less about strike outs. Give me 7 innings of 1-2 run ball, and who cares if you have 2 or 12 K's. Jon Garland's Strike out per 9 has taken a good drop, but hes also not trying to strike out every batter, he is just trying to get them out.

So for all the Experts who call Ozzie Guillen Jose Guillen, and are still waiting for the Collapse, and think because we dont have some ignorant **** in the OF holding a sign reading " PODS BEING PODS" you guys are the ones looking like this :redface: not us.

So.ILSoxFan
08-11-2005, 05:10 AM
Are we farther west of Cairo than north? The Ohio Valley goes from Pennsylvania all the way to the Mississippi, which the last I looked is WEST of us.

Correct, although we should note that there is not (at least that I could find) a strict geographical border to the "ohio valley". You will always see it called the "ohio valley region"

I live in the "ohio valley", so does my friend from pennsylvania....it's huge.

:cool:

TornLabrum
08-11-2005, 08:04 AM
Correct, although we should note that there is not (at least that I could find) a strict geographical border to the "ohio valley". You will always see it called the "ohio valley region"

I live in the "ohio valley", so does my friend from pennsylvania....it's huge.

:cool:

Exactly my point. Now if they had said west of the HUDSON Valley....

He gone
08-11-2005, 10:05 AM
Today Greenburg was talking about what a great centerfielder Rowand is. He also said the Yankees could only score 5 runs during the series and they didn't even face the Sox's 2 best pitchers.

I think he's on the Band-wagon now :cool:

Fake Chet Lemon
08-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Dan McNeil (AM 1000) told a Greeny story once. They were traveling and had to share a hotel together. McNeil started talking about the Sox and Greeny knew absolutely nothing about them. It wasn't that he hated them, he does not. It was just like they didn't exist in his world, he pretty much followed the Cubs exclusively while in town baseball wise.

MY GUESS: With Chicago lacking a morning sports show, ESPN sees a great opportunity for their national morning show here and I'm sure they've told Mike and Mike to keep up with all things Chicago when appropriate.

C-Dawg
08-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Manny Ramirez has been mentioned a bunch of times in this thread. As long as ESPN thinks we all want to see him mugging for the camera every night, or playing hide-and-seek with the little door in the scoreboard at Fenway Park, the White Sox will get no coverage.

tacosalbarojas
08-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Dan McNeil (AM 1000) told a Greeny story once. They were traveling and had to share a hotel together. McNeil started talking about the Sox and Greeny knew absolutely nothing about them. It wasn't that he hated them, he does not. It was just like they didn't exist in his world, he pretty much followed the Cubs exclusively while in town baseball wise.

MY GUESS: With Chicago lacking a morning sports show, ESPN sees a great opportunity for their national morning show here and I'm sure they've told Mike and Mike to keep up with all things Chicago when appropriate.The only fandom I've heard Greeny express his allegiance to is the Jets. Although, I'm pretty sure growing up he was a Mets or Yankees guy.