PDA

View Full Version : *official* How do you like Jose now? postgame thread

TimoandAaron
08-09-2005, 10:30 PM
WAY TO GO PK HUUUUUGE HR! AND GREAT PLAY DEFENSIVELY BY BLUM!!!!......YES:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

NSSoxFan
08-09-2005, 10:30 PM
OH YEA!

Great job Jose and Paulie!

Stroker Ace
08-09-2005, 10:31 PM
SOX WIN!!! YESSSSS!!!!!

elrod
THAT was playoff baseball, folks. Pitcher's duel. Late inning drama. Big time defense. Yankee Stadium crowd getting loud. And we passed a big test.

chisoxmike
:hawk
This ball game is OVA!"

:winner

:supernana: :supernana:

Heffalump
That's White Sox baseball baby !!!!!

GO SOX!!

chisoxt
Great win. but please Ozzie...switch roles with Marte and Cotts. Marte has no confidence.

dcb33
My heart's fine, but I have no fingernails left!

What a play by Blum to end the game.

Why can't we get tonight's Contreras more often?

soxwon
08-09-2005, 10:32 PM
T.y Lord- T.y Blum

GiveMeSox
My heart is still beating at about 1000 beats per min!

Stroker Ace
Great outing by Contreras. AND THANK YOU PAULIE!!!

soltrain21
Yankee Stadium is the most annoying place ever.

I wanted to punch everyone of those fans that were dancing around to a Jock Jams cd.

I loved the little kid with the He Gone sign...hilarious.

I hope the Yankees loved seeing Jose pitch the game of his life.

FielderJones

But why oh why didn't Hermy start the 9th? Way to give me a heart attack, Ozzie!

Reminds me of 83
Wow!!!! One of the best and most important wins of this awesome season.

Amazing!!!!:smile:

Chips
Contreas. What a stud, nice ncie pitching against his former mates.:bandance:

Very nice win. Paulee came through in flying colors. :bandance:

73-39

LuzinskiFan
Right up there with the Pierzynski homer game!

patbooyah
my heart just fell back into my stomach faster than that idiot fell from the upper deck

SABRSox
Even Rooney got so excited that he thought it was Paulie at first, and not Blum...

GO WHITE SOX!!!

Madvora
08-09-2005, 10:33 PM
MERCY! You want to talk about some weird games this season...

We have now had one where Jermaine Dye has played short stop and one where a fan fell out of the stands into the net behind home plate!

Cowch44
That was a great ball game.:D:

Brian26
I think I blew out my vocal cords with Hawk on that liner to end the game.

That's one of the greatest victories the Sox have ever had on the road. Man, what a game. This is the kind of game that makes you fall in love with baseball all over again. That was frickin' unbelievable.

CanBuehrleWait
I can't take this kinda stuff.... this is the kind of stuff that takes years off your life..... Man I wanted and we needed this game SOOOOOO bad...... thanks you Jose Paulie and Gooch*

Chisox353014
ThuuhhUHHHuhhhUHHHHuhhhh Yankees Lose!

Well, if we've learned anything the last 2 nights, it's that these two teams would make for one hell of a playoff matchup. Whew!

PeteWard
08-09-2005, 10:34 PM
Can someone please describe the play by Blum to end it?

Cowhead418
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: all to Contreras. Thank you thank you thank you thank you

Stroker Ace
Now lets get em' tomorrow. There is no reason why we can't take 2 out of 3 in NY.

Chips
I loved the little kid with the He Gone sign...hilarious.

I loved it and I'm sure they hated it.

DickAllen72
Jose Contreras!!! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Iguchi comes through again.:bandance: :bandance: Paulie's insurance homer turns out to be the winner! :gulp:

We need a closer Ozzie trusts to pitch the whole ninth inning! :(:

billnahorodny
08-09-2005, 10:35 PM
THAT was playoff baseball, folks. Pitcher's duel. Late inning drama. Big time defense. Yankee Stadium crowd getting loud. And we passed a big test.

My thoughts exactly! Great win!!:bandance:

cheeses_h_rice
Awesome game by Jose C. -- so happy to see him get the W against his former team.

Paulie with a huge clutch HR.

And, Geoff Blum, I kiss you. You saved the game.

MERCY.

:gulp::gulp::gulp:

Palehose13
I think I blew out my vocal cords with Hawk on that liner to end the game.

That's one of the greatest victories the Sox have ever had on the road. Man, what a game. This is the kind of game that makes you fall in love with baseball all over again. That was frickin' unbelievable.

I had the "Yes" men...what was Hawk's call? Did Hawk and DJ elaborate about why/how that guy fell out of the stands? Yank-me announcers didn't really give too much info on it.

kittle42
Don't worry...the Sox victory will be overshadowed nationally by the kid falling on the net.

No teal, notice.

jshanahanjr
That was a good test for the playoffs. Way to go boys! :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Blob
Even Rooney got so excited that he thought it was Paulie at first, and not Blum...

GO WHITE SOX!!!

Hawk did the same thing.

Great win!

NDSox12
I just checked the calendar... it is, in fact, still August. Sure could have sworn it was October tonight though!

Great win!

TimoandAaron

GO WHITE SOX!!!yea, i put Paulie's name in for the great catch, but then i had to do some editing.

dcb33
08-09-2005, 10:36 PM
MERCY! You want to talk about some weird games this season...

We have now had one where Jermaine Dye has played short stop and one where a fan fell out of the stands into the net behind home plate!

It's all Hunter Wendlestadt's fault!

Madvora
Jose Contreras!!!

You got it! Could AJ Burnett have done that?

WhiteSox16K
Contreras, Contreras, Contreras - WOW!!!

I don't think the boss can be too happy about the big goose egg off Jose.

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Brian26
Can someone please describe the play by Blum to end it?

Blum was in for PK for defensive purposes. Blum was guarding the line...maybe 5 feet off the line....and Bernie hit a ROCKET liner right to him. If Blum was 5-feet to his right, that ball gets down the line....tie game for sure, maybe a Yankee win.

Fake Chet Lemon
Typical Contreras run support and he goes into shutdown mode, awesome! Nice HR Iguchi, but you have to get that bunt down and get small ball off life support. Podsednik starting to get on base again should help get the smart ball going again. Good to see Pods getting on base again.

Evman5
08-09-2005, 10:37 PM
YES!!!!!! What a pitching job by "El Conde"

Jose was a beast!!!!

TimoandAaron
I had the "Yes" men...what was Hawk's call? Did Hawk and DJ elaborate about why/how that guy fell out of the stands? Yank-me announcers didn't really give too much info on it.hawks call was, if i recall," YES!!!!"

Stroker Ace
I had the "Yes" men...what was Hawk's call? Did Hawk and DJ elaborate about why/how that guy fell out of the stands? Yank-me announcers didn't really give too much info on it.Yeah, I'm out in New Jersey, so I had no choice.

BTW, POST 1,000!!!! YESSSSS!!!!!

Madvora
08-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Yesterday they took one from Hernandez that he didn't deserve to lose and today we took one from Chacon that he didn't deserve to lose.

Go get em tomorrow Freddy!!!!

Brian26
I had the "Yes" men...what was Hawk's call?

I'm not sure what his initial reaction was because I was too busy with a "YESSS! WHOOO!". But he said "and the Sox...win it....2-1...." and then just kinda lost his voice.

PeteWard
Looks like Cleveland's going down, too. :cool:

SoxSpeed22
Contreras goes after hitters and look what happens. Blum was the important defensive replacement. Konerko and Iguchi got the important hits.
Very satisfying win! :supernana: (153)

voodoochile

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

I think we're going to add a little dude on the end later too...

MarySwiss
08-09-2005, 10:40 PM
WAY TO GO PK HUUUUUGE HR! AND GREAT PLAY DEFENSIVELY BY BLUM!!!!......YES:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Paulie, I love you! But ***! For whatever the hell reason, the MLB feed came up short after inning #8. Mr. MarySwiss (former Cub fan, but no longer) kept telling me that we had taken the lead, but ESPN kept posting the score as 1-1, despite the fact they acknowleged HRs by Iguchi and Paulie.

I am SOOO getting tired of this media crap! But I love the fact that THE YANKEES LOSE. Thaaaaa Yankees lose!

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Vernam
Great win. but please Ozzie...switch roles with Marte and Cotts. Marte has no confidence.I've felt that way for a while -- still do -- but Marte showed some stones tonight. If not for the squeeze that ump applied, Hermanson never enters the game because Marte was on top of Giambi and Posada.

What an outing by Contreras!

VC

MRKARNO
Ozzie nearly overmanaged this game away in not showing confidence to his closer (unless his goal is to use his closer as little as possible) and putting his other relievers in situations that they are not used to or in which they have not succeeded in the past (aka Marte in the 9th inning in general). But a win is a win, just some questionable moves by Ozzie.

Now that that's out of the way, on to the positives:D::

-Contreras pitched the game of his life today. In going back to NY where he had failed many times before (with them) against an offense that is one of the most dangerous in baseball, he pitched lights out. It was truly an incredible performance and it defitely raised his stock in probably everyone's mind.
In general, it was nice to see the ex-Yankees quiet down their former team in New York, both of them facing the team for the first time since they departed.

-Aaron Rowand may have just gone a long way to winning himself a Gold Glove in these past few games. I know we like to downplay it, but he's made highlight catch after highlight catch in New York and it means more than in Kansas City or Detroit in terms of getting the gold glove (there are many more voters who cover the Yanks and have a vote than in those other two places combined).

-The defense has been outstanding so far this series. It kept us in last nights game and won tonight's game. You can't point to one particular play, but the all around flawless play has put the Sox where they are

-Iguchi and Konerko have been awesome lately. Konerko, since the all star break, is actually hitting like the type of hitter that can carry a team, which is more than we could say of his through early May. Keep up the good work!

-The clutch hits arent falling still and the big innings arent resulting (even though we have set ourselves up for that). As long as they keep setting up those big inning opportunities, we'll be in great shape. The long balls are still there to keep our offense alive at times when the RISP hits aren't coming.

Garcia going tomorrow on the road in a day game in a big ballpark. Those are the ideal conditions for him. We're facing Aaron Small. I like our chances.

GregoryEtc
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/NYFF10608100247.jpeg
Do we need any more proof that Yankee fans are lemmings? This one tried to leap to his death today! That dude is lucky to be alive.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-09-2005, 10:41 PM
I'd really love to see Cotts in the 8th and 9th and Marte in the 6th and 7th. Hello.....Ozzie?

Cliff gave up that HR in the 9th, but GREAT JOB getting out of the 8th! I'd rather give up a leadoff HR than a walk with a 2-run lead. That's OK Cliff, let em earn it.

NWSox
08-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Great game. One of those games we'll remember when we look back on this season. Those starters 4 and 5 and look what they did to that Yankee lineup. Unbelievable.

knocko94
08-09-2005, 10:42 PM
That kid falling from the upper deck was one of the craziest things I've seen, WOW.

It looked like the cops were gonna beat him down when he finally crawled up the net, then they realized the kid had a near death experience.

MushMouth
08-09-2005, 10:42 PM
What a win!

Anyone want to tell me why Herm wasn't in at the start of the 9th? Also, hopefully Carl is available tomorrow, Timo at DH batting 5th gives me heartburn.

Evman5
08-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Listening to the postgame show....Did Contreras get a warning for hitting somebody?

PeteWard
That kid falling from the upper deck was one of the craziest things I've seen, WOW.

It looked like the cops were gonna beat him down when he finally crawled up the net, then they realized the kid had a near death experience.

Good thing for him he wasn't from Ghana!

VivaOzzie
Great win. but please Ozzie...switch roles with Marte and Cotts. Marte has no confidence.

I second that.

One HELL of a game, until my mlb.tv crapped out on me and I had to watch the game via espn.com updates! :angry: :angry: :angry:

But a HUGE win, and I really like the way Contreras handled himself tonight. And pretty ridiculous of NY fans to boo him out after he pitched lights out. Lets take this series!!!!

Fake Chet Lemon
08-09-2005, 10:44 PM
Remember when people laughed at Kenny Williams in Spring Training when he said "I expect all of our starters to win 15 games." ? This outing didn't surprise Kenny one bit.

PeteWard
What a win!

Anyone want to tell me why Herm wasn't in at the start of the 9th? Also, hopefully Carl is available tomorrow, Timo at DH batting 5th gives me heartburn.

Well Carl pinch hit today so I think we will see him tomorrow.

MushMouth

:o:

:roflmao:

MERCY!

Heffalump
-Aaron Rowand may have just gone a long way to winning himself a Gold Glove in these past few games. I know we like to downplay it, but he's made highlight catch after highlight catch in New York and it means more than in Kansas City or Detroit in terms of getting the gold glove (there are many more voters who cover the Yanks and have a vote than in those other two places combined).

I agree that A-Row is throwing the leather out there, but don't the players vote for the gold glove awards?

Brian26
08-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Do we need any more proof that Yankee fans are lemmings? One tried to leap to his death today! That dude is lucky to be alive.

And a classy move by Hawk might I add to give the guy a "YES!" when he finally was pulled safely back into the seats. Hawk was as scared as anyone for the guy.

Cowch44
08-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Listening to the postgame show....Did Contreras get a warning for hitting somebody?

Contreras hit A-rod in the 1st with 2 outs.

RedFoxSoxFan
08-09-2005, 10:47 PM

Zing!

MIgrenade
I'd really love to see Cotts in the 8th and 9th and Marte in the 6th and 7th. Hello.....Ozzie?

Cliff gave up that HR in the 9th, but GREAT JOB getting out of the 8th! I'd rather give up a leadoff HR than a walk with a 2-run lead. That's OK Cliff, let em earn it.

Politte should not be out there anyway. There's a reason why closers are in the bulllpen, to end a game without blowing a 2 run lead. I'm so happy they won because that bad managment shouldn't over shadow some great baseball.
MERCY!

Mickster
Jankmees have had only 9 hits in 2 games. How's that for pitching, folks.

Lets go Freddy!!!

:worship: :worship: :garcia:

Evman5
Contreras hit A-rod in the 1st with 2 outs.

Thanks...where did he hit him?

Brian26
08-09-2005, 10:48 PM

Lets go Freddy!!!

Freddy in a day game? Where's the betting window at yet????? :bandance:

MRKARNO
I agree that A-Row is throwing the leather out there, but don't the players vote for the gold glove awards?

I looked it up and we're both wrong. It's done by the managers and coaches. But you gotta think that doing it in New York would create more buzz about it.

Mickster

:) :) :)

MushMouth

Lets go Freddy!!!

Tomorrow is huge for Freddie - Day game, on the road against a young kid. Hopefully Freddie is sharp from the start. I'd like to see him get on a roll late in the season!

Cowch44

The elbow, IIRC.

PeteWard
08-09-2005, 10:49 PM

Right smack in the batter's box!:D:

Sorry, about that, I have no idea.

sox_fan_forever
Wow, that was such a great game! I think my heart is still pounding...

:supernana:

MushMouth
:) :) :)

Also, because its the yankees, we'll probably get good odds, believe it or not.

We were big dogs today.

PeteWard
08-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Tomorrow is huge for Freddie - Day game, on the road against a young kid. Hopefully Freddie is sharp from the start. I'd like to see him get on a roll late in the season!

Love our chances but this could be a slugfest as both teams are due to hit. Nothing against FG, just thinking law of averages here.

A win puts the Sox 35 over for the 1st time, too.

Shoeless Joe
Now that's what I call a magnificent win by the White Sox! Contreras was just phenomenal tonight. This is the guy that I want to see for the rest of the season. Politte and Marte scared the hell out me for a second but everything worked out in the end.

By the way I completely missed the entire "guy falling" episode while changing channels. Did they actually show him fall down from the upper deck?

PicktoCLick72
Great win. Damaso was getting squeezed bad. I know many of you are ging to jump on him but it seemeed like it would only be called a strike if he grooved one. I'll take it though. Now if we had Burnett and Overbay, would the result be the same? I don't think so.

Heffalump
08-09-2005, 10:53 PM
I looked it up and we're both wrong. It's done by the managers and coaches. But you gotta think that doing it in New York would create more buzz about it.

Yeah, I agree. Being a Yankee series, all the AL managers/coaches will get to see all his plays on Sportcenter (after 30 minutes of coverage on the life story of the kid in the net, of course)

GO SOX !!!

MushMouth
08-09-2005, 10:53 PM
Now that's what I call a magnificent win by the White Sox! Contreras was just phenomenal tonight. This is the guy that I want to see for the rest of the season. Politte and Marte scared the hell out me for a second but everything worked out in the end.

By the way I completely missed the entire "guy falling" episode while changing channels. Did they actually show him fall down from the upper deck?

No, but DJ mentioned that the kid fell as the bunt was laid down and it was why Crede hesitates/lost concentration and barely threw out ARod (?).

He looked dazed and possibly hurt.

whitesoxfan
08-09-2005, 10:54 PM
i had the game on Tivo. Great win tonight. Tadahito and Paulie provided just enough O to win. Let's take 2 of 3 from the idiots tomorrow :)

Mickster
08-09-2005, 10:54 PM
Great win. Damaso was getting squeezed bad. I know many of you are ging to jump on him but it seemeed like it would only be called a strike if he grooved one.

:hijacked:

Speaking of crappy officiating, does anyone have any idea what our record is with Wendelstedt's crew officiating games?

UofCSoxFan
08-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Beside the obvious plays...Conte, Iguchi, Konerko, Blum.....

I would like to point out a key "little thing" that very well saved the game for the Sox.

I'm talking about the TMartinez single up the middle when Crosby went to third. Aaron had a shot at nailing him, but WISELY thought better of it. If he throws through to third, Martinez likely never stops at first and ends up at second (not to mention the ball could have bounced away for worse results). If this is the case, the winning run advances to second, and more importantly Blum is no longer guarding the line. More likely, he would be playing more towards the hole as a single hurts just as much as a double. With the runner at first, Blum guards against the double and is right there to make the play.

Little things...win ball games. :bandance:

Brian26
08-09-2005, 10:56 PM

No. The camera picked him up after he had fallen and was just sitting there very disoriented. It was actually one of those weird moments when you're not sure if you want to watch it....he was crawling backwards towards a giant hole in the net, and there was a chance he was going to fall through it. And then there's the whole issue of if he's drunk, handicapped, or a combination of both...or if he meant to fall on purpose. It was a pretty tense situation. I was pretty happy when it was over. Glad it didn't distract Politte too.

BeviBall!
08-09-2005, 10:59 PM
Great game! Jose was a monster!

McDougal just blew a 5-run lead.

mccoydp
08-09-2005, 10:59 PM
I picked a bad day to stop chewing my nails!

Great win by Jose!

Rooney4Prez56
08-09-2005, 11:00 PM
Who heard Hawk at the end say, "lined RIGHT TO KONERKO!" when it was really Blum?

ode to veeck
08-09-2005, 11:01 PM
I'm talking about the TMartinez single up the middle when Crosby went to third. Aaron had a shot at nailing him, but WISELY thought better of it. If he throws through to third, Martinez likely never stops at first and ends up at second (not to mention the ball could have bounced away for worse results).

I'd love to see that kind of discipline out of our rightfielder who does have a gun, but absolutely no throwing discipline. I'm just glad that Martinez didn't pull that fastball to Jermaine.

infohawk
08-09-2005, 11:01 PM
I think I flat-lined. WOW!!! What a game! What a win! The Sox showed they can prevail in the kind of close, pressure-filled games in front of large crowds that they will see in the playoffs. What a gut-check by Contreras. I'll bet that many Yankee fans are pretty upset that he was so dominant against them after they gave up on him. I know that he is still inconsistent, but a performance like that in front of fifty-five thousand fans, many of which probably wanted him gone, is pretty in-your-face.

infohawk
08-09-2005, 11:06 PM

I wonder if certain umpires give up on Marte's sweeping breaking ball. He seems to get squeezed quite a bit. Who knows, maybe he is a little off the plate, but it seems that on some nights, perhaps with certain umpires, he gets those called for strikes.

ode to veeck
08-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Do we need any more proof that Yankee fans are lemmings?

LMAO

We need the photo of the guy sitting on the netting to go with this one ... POTW material for sure

cheeses_h_rice
08-09-2005, 11:07 PM
Beside the obvious plays...Conte, Iguchi, Konerko, Blum.....

I would like to point out a key "little thing" that very well saved the game for the Sox.

I'm talking about the TMartinez single up the middle when Crosby went to third. Aaron had a shot at nailing him, but WISELY thought better of it. If he throws through to third, Martinez likely never stops at first and ends up at second (not to mention the ball could have bounced away for worse results). If this is the case, the winning run advances to second, and more importantly Blum is no longer guarding the line. More likely, he would be playing more towards the hole as a single hurts just as much as a double. With the runner at first, Blum guards against the double and is right there to make the play.

Little things...win ball games. :bandance:

Yeahbut, the way Iguchi was shading towards first base allowed Tino Martinez's base hit that knocked Crosby over to third to get through. If he's playing normally, that's an easy groundout and the game's over.

Baseball's a pretty amazing game, innit?

sox_fan_forever
08-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Wow, this is the busiest a postgame thread has been after a win in quite some time, isn't it?

BeviBall!
08-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Too bad the lot of us will miss tomorrow rubber match. I'd Tivo it, but I can never wait to find out the score.

Good to see Carl's still crazy and will save us from ever having to see Timo in the 5 hole ever again.

PeteWard
LMAO

We need the photo of the guy sitting on the netting to go with this one ... POTW material for sure

Here ya go.
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/NYFF10608100247.jpeg

infohawk
Yesterday they took one from Hernandez that he didn't deserve to lose and today we took one from Chacon that he didn't deserve to lose.

It seems to me that the Sox have real, real trouble hitting guys who can get their breaking ball over the plate consistently. Guys like Mussina, Zito, Vazquez, etc...Chacon had a really good one tonight. The Sox did a great job grinding it out.

Norberto7
08-09-2005, 11:14 PM
Isn't it amazing how fast the human brain works? How many of us had the thought process, in between the time that Williams hit that liner to the time Blum caught it, "Ok, run in, 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs...crap..." to "YES!!"

And....

Joseeeeeee, Jose Jose Jose, Joooooooose, Jo-oseeeeee...... :D:

Cat Thief

I'll call it in for ya!

ode to veeck
Sure, Chacon didn't deserve to lose it, but he was surely outpitched by Jose, whose pitchcount barely reached the century mark through seven while Chacon struggled & started walking folks as he tired in 6th and 7th. Guch in particular gave him a couple of tough ABs.

kojak
08-09-2005, 11:16 PM

In the hip.

The same hip A-Rod used to deflect Dye's throw yesterday.

Nice work, Jose!
:cool:

Frankfan4life
08-09-2005, 11:19 PM
Great win! That's one we had to have. However, I'm ready for the Sox to have a blow-out game tomorrow so I can give my nerves a break for a while.

Wow, the pitiful Royals let the Jndians come back and take the lead in the top of the ninth after being down 7-2. Darn it. I was hoping for a two-number decrease in our magic number today. The Royals = :redface:

sox_fan_forever
I wish I wasn't going to miss tomorrow's game. I made lunch plans with someone before I realized it was a day game. Hopefully I'm home before it's over.

ode to veeck
Thanks for the NY Lemmings pic. None of the announcers had any idea how it happened. The guy's pretty lucky, as it look like he came pretty close to going all the way through the netting (judging by the size of the hole he left).

veeter
08-09-2005, 11:27 PM
Everyone keeps saying how lucky the guy was, how about the people he would have landed on. He probably would have been o.k. but broken some poor guys neck by landing on him. I'm glad everone is o.k.

hose
08-09-2005, 11:29 PM
My pumper was working overtime in the bottom of the 9th....whew!!!!

BIG win:bandance::bandance:

ode to veeck
08-09-2005, 11:31 PM
:tomatoaward:

Sox have the best road record in MLB at 37-17 after tonight's win, with Road Warrior Freddie Garcia ready to pitch the rubber match in a day game tomorrow

TimoandAaron
08-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Here ya go.
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/NYFF10608100247.jpegdamn, i was just gonna post that.

cwsfannick
08-09-2005, 11:41 PM
Contreras sticks it to his prior team, saves our bullpen for another day and hopefully gains great deal of confidence. Oh and in one of the more fulfilling item is part of Jose's salary is paid by the Yanks. Thanks George

Chips
08-09-2005, 11:44 PM
My pumper was working overtime in the bottom of the 9th....whew!!!!

BIG win:bandance::bandance:

Mine too, I was scared ****less when Williams hit that ball, then Blum caught it and I was excited and happy and relieved.

Letmehearya
08-09-2005, 11:55 PM
Can we please provide some offensive support? This one would have been difficult to stomach especially in light of Cleveland's win.

cheeses_h_rice
08-09-2005, 11:56 PM
Sportscenter just showed that the 18-year-old who fell from the upper deck has been arrested and will be nailed with 4 different charges.

BeviBall!
08-09-2005, 11:57 PM
Sportscenter just showed that the 18-year-old who fell from the upper deck has been arrested and will be nailed with 4 different charges.

People will do anything to escape the boredom of smartball!

TaylorStSox
08-09-2005, 11:57 PM
Good game. This is how we've been doing it all year long. Our OF defense has been tremendous in the last 2 games.

Ol' No. 2
08-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Over the past several weeks, the smart seems to have disappeared and the offense is sitting back on relying on the HR:

8/9: 2 of 2 runs scored on HRs
8/8: 0 or 2 runs scored on HR
8/7: 3 of 3 runs scored on HRs
8/6: 2 of 4 runs scored on HRs
8/5: 2 of 2 runs scored on HRs
8/4: 4 of 5 runs scored on HRs
8/3: 3 of 3 runs scored on HRs
8/2: 2 of 3 runs scored on HRs
8/1: 1 of 6 runs scored on HR

Our offense is not overwhelming--11th in AL inn BA, 11 the OBP, 7th in SLG, 6th in runs scored. Over the first half of the season, our offensive deficiencies were overcome because of an ability to manufacture runs in addition to the HR. If we lose that ability, are we going to go far in the post-season?:darkcloud:

ode to veeck
08-10-2005, 12:04 AM
People will do anything to escape the boredom of smartball!

:tealpolice:

FarWestChicago
08-10-2005, 12:08 AM
Over the past several weeks, the smart seems to have disappeared and the offense is sitting back on relying on the HR:

8/9: 2 of 2 runs scored on HRs
8/8: 0 or 2 runs scored on HR
8/7: 3 of 3 runs scored on HRs
8/6: 2 of 4 runs scored on HRs
8/5: 2 of 2 runs scored on HRs
8/4: 4 of 5 runs scored on HRs
8/3: 3 of 3 runs scored on HRs
8/2: 2 of 3 runs scored on HRs
8/1: 1 of 6 runs scored on HR

Our offense is not overwhelming--11th in AL inn BA, 11 the OBP, 7th in SLG, 6th in runs scored. Over the first half of the season, our offensive deficiencies were overcome because of an ability to manufacture runs in addition to the HR. If we lose that ability, are we going to go far in the post-season?Yessss!! I called it:

Post #2 (http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55837)

Muopsies
08-10-2005, 12:10 AM
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=87463

Reading this makes me even more pleased that Jose shut them down and how can they complain so much about Joe Torre?

slavko
08-10-2005, 12:12 AM
I do not bet on baseball and I'm not suggesting anyone else bet on baseball, but the posters in this thread who are calling Garcia tomorrow "money in the bank" pending the odds being posted force me to confess that I check the betting line before games in my morning Tribune, just to see what the gambling community thinks of our chances for the day's matchup. (The opposing pitchers being the greatest variable in determining odds.)

In game 1 of this series, the Yanks were a very strong favorite. In today's game, they were a strong favorite. I'm guessing they will be a lukewarm favorite for game 3.

For reference, in 3 of the 4 games of the recent Red Sox series at the Cell, we were a lukewarm favorite. Game 3 was rated as even. This is so even though the home team is always considered by oddsmakers as having an advantage.

I'm getting the feeling that oddsmakers consider the Yanks and Red Sox worthy of stronger favoritism than they do us.

PAPChiSox729
08-10-2005, 12:19 AM
That's another thing that gets me. How the F does Aaron Rowand play CF? The guy is like a clone of Trot Nixon. They look exactly alike.

EDIT: Ok, maybe not exactly alike. But they look similar.

Ha! I never thought of that. But don't worry, Rowand's defense amazes me a lot too.
:D:

elrod
08-10-2005, 12:31 AM
http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=87463

Reading this makes me even more pleased that Jose shut them down and how can they complain so much about Joe Torre?

Wow, talk about dark clouds. They're talking about this game as if it was the worst loss of the season for them. Maybe it is. I was more pissed off at the loss in Game One than I have in a long time because we usually win those close, low-scoring games. It sucked to give El Duque so little support. We didn't give Contreras any better support this time, but Contreras was sharp from the first inning on.

ode to veeck
08-10-2005, 12:32 AM
Here's another choice one:

Yes, I'm pissed. Losing to El Duque? I can very much accept that. Losing to Contreras is horse $hit. This loss ranks right up there with Weaver shutting down the Yankees last year.

Oh, they're smarting in the Bronx tonight. Wait'll Freddie gets a hold of them tomorrow

soltrain21
08-10-2005, 12:47 AM
The game was delayed for four minutes in the eighth inning when an 18-year-old fan, Scott Harper of Armonk, N.Y., plummeted about 40 feet from the upper deck onto the netting behind home plate.

``That was the only exciting thing that happened today,'' Yankees owner George Steinbrenner said.

Harper told three friends he was sitting with that he was going to test whether the net would hold his weight -- and then he jumped, Det. Kevin Czartoryski said.

Obviously shaken after he landed, Harper sat with his head in his hands for a few moments before climbing on the net back up to the loge level as players watched and the crowd roared. He was hoisted over the railing and led away by security.

After the game, Harper was carted from the ballpark on a stretcher, his head immobilized in a neck brace, and taken to Lincoln Hospital for observation.

He was arrested, and Czartoryski said police expect to charge Harper with reckless endangerment, criminal mischief, criminal trespass and disorderly conduct.

``I've never seen anything like that before,'' Chicago manager Ozzie Guillen said. ``I think that's New York, you know, anything can happen.'' It was the second time in five years a fan fell or jumped from the upper deck at Yankee Stadium. In May 2000, 24-year-old Stephen Laurenzi of Yonkers, N.Y., was unconscious for a short time while sprawled on the netting as a game between Boston and New York went on. He also was arrested and taken to a hospital for observation

Apparently the moron did it on purpose.

cheeses_h_rice
08-10-2005, 12:50 AM

I've got $500 with his name on it if he claims he was a White Sox fan.

:moron

elrod
08-10-2005, 12:52 AM

Now, if it'd happened at US Cellular Field, the Chicago media would be going on and on about how "reckless" and "stupid" the Sox fans are.

slobes
08-10-2005, 12:55 AM
Ahh I was really nervous with Marte in there, glad Dustin could come in and get the job done.

Good job Jose

FielderJones
08-10-2005, 12:56 AM
Here's one from the Yankme board that goes out to all the Konerko-haters:

absolutely ZERO EXCUSE. this game is on torre's shoulders for leaving embree in to face one of the best right hnaded power hitters in the league.. im livid right now, i was screaming before the at bat.

ilsox7
08-10-2005, 12:58 AM

Throw the book at him and ban him for life from Yankee games.

skobabe8
08-10-2005, 01:16 AM
Now, if it'd happened at US Cellular Field, the Chicago media would be going on and on about how "reckless" and "stupid" the Sox fans are.

If he did it at US Cellular, there would be a closed casket funeral. Theres no netting behind homeplate anymore.

delben91
08-10-2005, 01:18 AM
Just got back to central Jersey. What a game that was to be at. Absolutely amazing.

I've never seen Jose throw like that. Chacon was pretty good, but Contreras was just dominating.

The plays Aaron has made the last couple of games were just great to witness. There are very few centerfielders I'd rather have.

Anyone know why Hermanson didn't start the ninth? We were all a bit confused in the stadium. One yankee fan behind me opined that "Ozzie is afraid that when the Yankees face the Sox in the playoffs, that if we've seen Hermanson before, we'll light him up, so he's purposely not using him." Moron.

As for the upper deck guy...well, yeah...nothing really to explain that. I was in the loge level down by the left field foul pole, and we didn't see him actually jump, but he definitely was laying there in the net as if he had no idea where he was. But eventually he figured it out and went scrambling back up to the seats, while everyone in the stadium cheered...

In the end though, amazing win, can't wait to head back to NYC for the rubber match tomorrow.

Realist
08-10-2005, 01:31 AM
The game that shall be remembered for decades to come as the "Flying Bartman Game".

Unregistered
08-10-2005, 01:34 AM
Anyone know why Hermanson didn't start the ninth? We were all a bit confused in the stadium. One yankee fan behind me opined that "Ozzie is afraid that when the Yankees face the Sox in the playoffs, that if we've seen Hermanson before, we'll light him up, so he's purposely not using him." Moron. According to the recap, DH was having lower back problems.

Mercy!
08-10-2005, 01:50 AM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/08/09/sports/yanks.184.1.450.jpg
Photo: Barton Silverman/The New York Times

"Your honor, weird things just seem
to happen when I start drinking."

===================================

Is there a SINGLE fan in that shot who is not laughing or smiling at this bozo's plight?

JB98
08-10-2005, 02:01 AM
This game about gave me a heart attack. The Yankee fans are going to be PISSED about losing to Contreras, and that makes this win all the better. Given the circumstances, that's about as good as Jose has pitched since he has been in a White Sox uniform.

Why does Ozzie continue to use Marte in the ninth? He always gets us in trouble by walking someone. The word is out: He can't get his breaking ball over against left-handed hitters. People used to chase that pitch. Now, they are just laying off. Hermanson had to bail his ass out when we played Boston, and a similar situation developed tonight. Thankfully, that liner off the bat of Williams was in Blum's reach.

Argalarga
08-10-2005, 02:17 AM
Here's one from the Yankme board that goes out to all the Konerko-haters:

Oh, how salty the bitter tears of Yankme fans taste.

Wonder what ESPN will have to say about this one.

Vince
08-10-2005, 02:37 AM
My favorite quote from the Yankee boards:

Anything but caught line drives. Aaron Rowand haunts me in my sleep.

Vernam
08-10-2005, 02:38 AM
Politte should not be out there anyway. There's a reason why closers are in the bulllpen, to end a game without blowing a 2 run lead. I'm so happy they won because that bad managment shouldn't over shadow some great baseball.If our division lead really is insurmountable, I wouldn't have minded seeing Jenks in the ninth, though I realize he probably wasn't available after pitching yesterday. Everybody talks about the playoff atmosphere of these games, so it would be nice to test him under real pressure situations (as opposed to trailing by 2 runs). I think that's why Ozzie stuck with Marte, in fact.

VC

Optipessimism
08-10-2005, 04:30 AM
Jeff Brantley or Jay Mariotti. I'd love to listen to Hawk tear these spinmasters apart for three hours every day.Actually, I'd like an analyst. Hawk seems to tell a lot of stories and leaves DJ to occasionally slip in something insightful. Not to say that I don't like Hawk, but I'd rather have a Steve Stone type to listen to. I think Bill Melton or Jack McDowell would be great in that role.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-10-2005, 09:16 AM
Wow, talk about dark clouds. They're talking about this game as if it was the worst loss of the season for them. Maybe it is. I was more pissed off at the loss in Game One than I have in a long time because we usually win those close, low-scoring games. It sucked to give El Duque so little support. We didn't give Contreras any better support this time, but Contreras was sharp from the first inning on.

Thanks for the link, that was a fun read!!! If Garcia beats them Wed, their season may be over.

GregoryEtc
08-10-2005, 09:17 AM
If he did it at US Cellular, there would be a closed casket funeral. Theres no netting behind homeplate anymore.

Would that be an inappropriate time for Nancy to use her anvil sound effect?

EastCoastSoxFan
08-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Two words:
PLAYOFF. ATMOSPHERE.
Yankee Stadium was absolutely ELECTRIC last night.
You would have thought the Red Sox were in town or something. I have never seen that much collective fan energy over a 2-1 game in the middle of August.
When Bernie Williams lined out to end the game, there was a big collective "OHHHHHHHHHH!" and then...quietness...
I LOVED it. HELL of a win.
In addition to the game, I caught a couple of pretty funny T-shirts.
One said (and I quote verbatim): "I'm a big f***in' ray of sunshine. How 'bout you?"
The other was worn by a woman, and in fine print across the chest read the words, "Guys should really think with their brains."
Let's win the series today...