PDA

View Full Version : Steve Phillips admits he's a clown

Herbal
08-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Steve Phillips was filling in for Mike Golic on ESPN Radio this morning. Of course, discussions turned to the Sox-Yankees series (guess it takes the Yankees for them to care). He admitted that this is a measuring stick for the Yankees and not the Sox.

He went on to say that all the "clowns like me" picked the Sox to take a step back were wrong and have to defend their earlier position. Almost sounds like he's been on WSI. He picked them to win 72, and gave them props for having 72 wins in early August.

For as much crap as he's taken, I felt he should get dredit where credit is due, however late in coming.

However, all that said, he's still not very bright.

samram
08-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Yeah, it sounds as if he's had the balls to admit he was wrong, which is unique among national sports analysts or whatever you would call someone who works on BBTN.

Of course, after his tenure as GM, Phillips should have plenty of experience admitting mistakes.

Ol' No. 2
08-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Steve Phillips was filling in for Mike Golic on ESPN Radio this morning. Of course, discussions turned to the Sox-Yankees series (guess it takes the Yankees for them to care). He admitted that this is a measuring stick for the Yankees and not the Sox.

He went on to say that all the "clowns like me" picked the Sox to take a step back were wrong and have to defend their earlier position. Almost sounds like he's been on WSI. He picked them to win 72, and gave them props for having 72 wins in early August.

For as much crap as he's taken, I felt he should get dredit where credit is due, however late in coming.

However, all that said, he's still not very bright.In fairness, he was right about the 72 wins. He just got the date wrong.:redneck

Stroker Ace
08-09-2005, 02:30 PM
I really don't care what he says. After destroying the Mets like he did, he can be a speedbump on the GCP for all I care.

GAsoxfan
08-09-2005, 02:38 PM
I really don't care what he says. After destroying the Mets like he did, he can be a speedbump on the GCP for all I care.

George needs to hire him to run the Yankees.

Stroker Ace
08-09-2005, 03:08 PM
George needs to hire him to run the Yankees.HAHAHA. I would seeing a scenario where Jeter and A-Rod and cash are sent to the Devil Rays for Aubrey Huff:D:

infohawk
08-09-2005, 03:58 PM

He actually went to Ozzie's office fairly recently and apologized to him for some things that he said. He's coming around.

itsnotrequired
08-09-2005, 04:02 PM
He actually went to Ozzie's office fairly recently and apologized to him for some things that he said. He's coming around.

Really? That's pretty cool. When's Kruk showing up?

samram
08-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Really? That's pretty cool. When's Kruk showing up?

As soon as he finds out cake is part of the postgame spread.

A_ROW33
08-09-2005, 04:28 PM
As soon as he finds out cake is part of the postgame spread.

Nah he only shows for twinkies, bon bons, and bear claws

Lip Man 1
08-09-2005, 04:29 PM
For what it's worth there was a story in the Southtown last week where Phillips recently went into Guillen's office and apologized for his earlier thoughts on the team. Unlike the Jeff Brantly affair Ozzie must have felt they were sincere because he was quoted as saying along the lines of 'that's what Phillips is supposed to do, talk baseball and make his picks, that's what he gets paid for.'

The sense I got was that there is no personal dislike between the two.

Lip

Tragg
08-10-2005, 12:01 AM
Phillips doesn't need to apologize to Ozzie for picking the Sox to have a bad season. It's sort of cheesy to do so.

Brantley is a little touchier - but all he did was criticize a pitching decision - I was distracted during that particular game, so I may have missed some of his words.

Phillips is a moron a lot of the time, but he doesn't seem mean-spirited. Brantley certainly can be mean-spirited. That's the difference to me.

chitownhawkfan
08-10-2005, 01:28 AM
Nah he only shows for twinkies, bon bons, and bear claws

To get as morbidly obese as the Krukker, you will shove any available form of calories in your mouth at any given time. He would eat the dirt if he could that disgusting slob of a man.

IowaSox1971
08-10-2005, 02:53 AM
I don't have a problem with Phillips. He hasn't been right about a lot of things he has said, but at least he acts professionally on the air land will admit when he's wrong.

Brantley's criticism of Guillen was much worse than what I've ever heard any analyst say about a manager. During the Sox-Angels game on Memorial Day, he said something like, "They might have the best record in baseball, but this is the worst-managed game I've ever seen," etc. And while making these "astute" observations, he conveniently neglected to mention that the only reason the Angels went ahead in the ninth inning was because Iguchi booted an easy double-play ball that would have ended the game. I've never heard an analyst belittle a manager like that, particularly a manager whose team ended up winning the game and had the best record in baseball.

chuckn98229
08-10-2005, 03:56 AM
They pay these guys to be astute observers of the game of baseball and to give us their opinion. Time and time again they deliver drivel that could easily have come from the mouths of 5-year olds. Why isn't their salary and/or their performance raises based on actual, critical, results?? It is only fair that these nimrods be paid based on their ability to make some critical opinions that prove to be true - rather than some drivel that was first uttered in the NY tabloids or ESPN? Where is the accountability? Or as Cicero dicet: "O Tempora, O Mores!"

PatK
08-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Didn't Philips also say that the reason the Sox aren't getting respect in the press is because sportswriters ego's are so fragile that they cannot admit they might have been wrong?

jdm2662
08-10-2005, 03:48 PM
Philips is the only one to come out to admit he was wrong. Got to say he deserves props for that unlike just about everyone else.

DarkCloudDropo
08-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Philips is the only one to come out to admit he was wrong. Got to say he deserves props for that unlike just about everyone else.

I'd be willing to bet just about all the rest still feel it's being done with smoke and mirrors. They won't admit anything until the season is over. I think even a world series victory won't budge some. The Sox just don't look like they think a typical powerhouse juggernaut should.

I wouldn't let it bother me. .... They're just sportswriters!

fquaye149
08-10-2005, 05:17 PM
Phillips doesn't need to apologize to Ozzie for picking the Sox to have a bad season. It's sort of cheesy to do so.

Brantley is a little touchier - but all he did was criticize a pitching decision - I was distracted during that particular game, so I may have missed some of his words.

Phillips is a moron a lot of the time, but he doesn't seem mean-spirited. Brantley certainly can be mean-spirited. That's the difference to me.

Actually Phillips said some incendiary things about Ozzie's imcompetence (much like Brantley).

fquaye149
08-10-2005, 05:19 PM
I don't have a problem with Phillips. He hasn't been right about a lot of things he has said, but at least he acts professionally on the air land will admit when he's wrong.

Brantley's criticism of Guillen was much worse than what I've ever heard any analyst say about a manager. During the Sox-Angels game on Memorial Day, he said something like, "They might have the best record in baseball, but this is the worst-managed game I've ever seen," etc. And while making these "astute" observations, he conveniently neglected to mention that the only reason the Angels went ahead in the ninth inning was because Iguchi booted an easy double-play ball that would have ended the game. I've never heard an analyst belittle a manager like that, particularly a manager whose team ended up winning the game and had the best record in baseball.

The problem with Phillips isn't that he picked us to not win or to have 72 wins. It's that he did it in such a cocksure, meanspirited way. "There's going to be a lot of crying in their beers in Chicago." What? *****.

But to his credit, he has admitted he was wrong AND went to Ozzie and apologized. I couldn't ask any more of him. Props.