PDA

View Full Version : Dayyyy-Oh

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-09-2005, 12:35 PM
We were the original inventors of the phrase "Dayy-Oh" repeated by the crowd during baseball games?

chitownhawkfan
08-09-2005, 12:39 PM
I think it was the Yankees but I could be mistaken, either way they should stop playing it because I HATE IT!

Stroker Ace
08-09-2005, 12:42 PM
I think it was the Yankees but I could be mistaken, either way they should stop playing it because I HATE IT!Me too.

Stroker Ace
08-09-2005, 12:44 PM
Why don't they have, "Yell obscenities at Hunter Wendlestatd(sp?)"

Iwritecode
08-09-2005, 12:44 PM
We were the original inventors of the phrase "Dayy-Oh" repeated by the crowd during baseball games?

Wasn't it part of a song?

It was in the movie Beetlejuice...

cheeses_h_rice
08-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Wasn't it part of a song?

It was in the movie Beetlejuice...

I think it's a Harry Belafonte song called "Banana Boat (Day O)."

Whitesox029
08-09-2005, 12:50 PM
This is off topic, but Cheeses, that signature never fails to creep me out...what is it?

cheeses_h_rice
08-09-2005, 01:03 PM
This is off topic, but Cheeses, that signature never fails to creep me out...what is it?

The answer lies within (www.snopes.com/photos/people/peppers.asp).

MushMouth
08-09-2005, 01:04 PM
I think it was the Yankees but I could be mistaken, either way they should stop playing it because I HATE IT!

Me and you both

annoying

the other day they started blasting it while there was a good "Lets Go WhiteSox!" chant going

I hate all the pumped-in crapola they play

TornLabrum
08-09-2005, 01:13 PM

It's an Jamaican song. It was first recorded that I know of by a folk trio called the Tarriers (which had actor Alan Arkin as one of its members) who coupled it with another Jamaican song called Hill and Gully Rider in their version. The version used by the Yankees and others is the Belafonte version called "The Banana Boat Song (Day-O)."

SOXPHILE
08-09-2005, 01:28 PM
My dad has an old '33 album from the 60's by a comedian named Stan Freeberg, and he does a hilarious take on that song.

SOXSINCE'70
08-09-2005, 01:30 PM
Why don't they have, "Yell obscenities at Hunter Wendlestatd(sp?)"

Only one day?!?!:angry: :angry: :angry:

SOXSINCE'70
08-09-2005, 01:32 PM
My dad has an old '33 album from the 60's by a comedian named Stan Freeberg, and he does a hilarious take on that song.

Freberg's version is my favorite.I love the bongo player who complains
that the "day-oh" shout is too loud.:D: :D:

SOXPHILE
08-09-2005, 01:42 PM
Freberg's version is my favorite.I love the bongo player who complains
that the "day-oh" shout is too loud.:D: :D:

I know, he's a beatnick (sp ?) who keeps asking him to "tone it down a bit, man,". Then, when Freeberg locks himself out, he won't let him in. Just keeps saying "Far out man". Good Stuff !:tongue:

skobabe8
08-09-2005, 06:15 PM
The answer lies within (http://www.snopes.com/photos/people/peppers.asp).

Thats insane, Cheeses! I always wondered what the hell that was, too.

Vernam
08-09-2005, 06:45 PM
It's true about Belafonte and Freburg, but I think the Kinks' Ray Davies pioneered using Day-o as a call-and-response interaction with big crowds. Check out the live bits of "Everybody's in Showbiz (http://tinyurl.com/8rx87)."

VC

chitownhawkfan
08-10-2005, 12:40 AM
I have always wondered if that picture was a photoshop creation, but now I know and am completely creeped out by it. Truly, only a face a mother could love. I think I am going to start using this pic when people dont use the right color for teal, with the caption Arrrrgh My Eyes! Since I'm off the topic and too lazy to start a new thread, CubsFansAreDrunk, what is with your sig, am I just missing it because I dont get it?

Nellie_Fox
08-10-2005, 01:07 AM
The answer lies within (http://www.snopes.com/photos/people/peppers.asp).I thought they were asking about loveable little Meatwad. Apparently you just changed your sig picture.

I can imagine that his victim is still unable to sleep.