PDA

View Full Version : Is My Anxiety Justified?

Letmehearya
08-09-2005, 10:47 AM
12.5 game lead in mid-August and I'm a nervous wreck. What makes it so? 1) Our hitting is anemic and the prospects for improvement are gone; and 2) Has anyone seen Cleveland's schedule the rest of the way? Tampa Bay, KC et al. Few good teams left on the schedule. I can easily see Cleveland playing .667 the rest of the way. The way our offense [or lack thereof] produces runs, I wouldn't be surprised is the lead is single digits by the end of the week. At that point, watch the Cubune spring into action. "Worst choke job since '69" blah blah blah.

Is my anxiety justified? Please don't put the Sky is Falling chicken.

Jerko
08-09-2005, 10:50 AM
I am so "not anxious" that it doesn't really bother me that much when they lose anymore. It bothers me, but not to the point where I want to kick something.

voodoochile
08-09-2005, 10:51 AM
No...

mikeybooyah
08-09-2005, 10:53 AM
12.5 game lead in mid-August and I'm a nervous wreck. What makes it so? 1) Our hitting is anemic and the prospects for improvement are gone; and 2) Has anyone seen Cleveland's schedule the rest of the way? Tampa Bay, KC et al. Few good teams left on the schedule. I can easily see Cleveland playing .667 the rest of the way. The way our offense [or lack thereof] produces runs, I wouldn't be surprised is the lead is single digits by the end of the week. At that point, watch the Cubune spring into action. "Worst choke job since '69" blah blah blah.

I will feel a lot better once Pods starts hitting and stealing bases again...it is the most important element of our offense.

cheeses_h_rice
08-09-2005, 10:53 AM
You're worried about the Sox blowing a 12.5 game lead to the Indians with 51 games left?

If the Sox went 25-26 the rest of the way, the Indians would have to go 37-13 just to tie them. That's .740 baseball.

Being nervous about blowing the division shows an incredible lack of faith in our pitching staff, which is what's gotten the Sox to this point.

FoulTerritory
08-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Is your anxiety justified? I think yes and no. I mean, you are right to point out Cleveland's ridiculously easy schedule the rest of the way. I think (not 100 % sure) that Oakland is possibly the only above 500 non-division opponent they have left. Regardless, they play a lot of Tampa, KC, and Detroit and Baltimore. Eww. And our August is very tough indeed. These are legitimate concerns.

But on the other hand, the Sox are not a team with the components ripe for a collapse w/ this size of divisional lead. They are not composed of only bopping bats that can run cold for 3 weeks at a time, but rather have a very consistent well-rounded lineup. Further, their pitching and defense should carry them to a fair amount of wins, regardless of the opponent.

So, despite the vast schedule disperity between the Tribe and the Sox, I think we'll be just fine. We may just win the division by 7 games istead of 15 or 20.

Baby Fisk
08-09-2005, 10:56 AM

Chillax!

sox_fan_forever
08-09-2005, 10:58 AM
I am so "not anxious" that it doesn't really bother me that much when they lose anymore. It bothers me, but not to the point where I want to kick something.

I know exactly what you mean. That's the way I've felt recently as well. For example, last night's loss didn't bother me at all. Of course I wish they had won, but you can't win every game. I feel pretty confident that they'll win today and tomorrow. It's just a feeling....

TomBradley72
08-09-2005, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't get to worked up...over the last 30 days the White Sox:

Were 3rd in wins in the AL (only Oakland and Boston had more)
Had the 4th lowest ERA in the AL
Had the 5th most runs scored on offense in the AL
Had the 5th highest fielding percentage
Gained 2 games on Cleveland

very balanced = no extended losing streaks.

infohawk
08-09-2005, 11:35 AM
The Tribe's problems this year has been the tendency of their bats to go stone-cold for stretches at a time. Other than that, their pitching and defense have been pretty solid. I would anticipate that they will continue to have some up's and down's with the bats over the next couple of months.

jackbrohamer
08-09-2005, 11:59 AM
If the Sox went 25-26 the rest of the way, the Indians would have to go 37-13 just to tie them. That's .740 baseball.

Thank you. Sox are 33 games above .500; Tribe is 8 and show no signs of being able to put together an Oakland-like run. And the Twinkies are dead.

SOX ADDICT '73
08-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Our hitting is anemic
Teams will encounter hitting slumps (and actually, the hitting hasn't been bad, it's hitting with guys on base), but I'd say if there's a perfect time for the bats to go to sleep, it's with a 15-game lead (which is what it was after last week's sweep of Baltimore).

Have we forgotten what it was like to already be 20 games over on June 14th, but with only a 4-game lead on Minnesota? Oh, and by the way, Cleveland was only 9 back at that point, and we weren't giving them a second thought. Suddenly, 12.5 on the Indians and 15.5 on the Twins sounds pretty good.

I think Cleveland is a very similar team to recent versions of the White Sox - very streaky (beat your brains in one day, get shut out the next), with flashes of brilliance from their arms and bats, but little consistency from either.

I am annoyed for El Duque, who, in his last two "high profile" starts, has shut down the BoSox and Yanks aside from a first inning two-out, two-run homer in each, and gotten virtually no run support (do we officially call this "The Cuban Treatment" now?). I am annoyed that the Sox haven't played better at home lately in front of some huge crowds. I am annoyed with Podsednik's base-stealing slump.

Annoyed? Certainly. Anxious? No Way.

Hangar18
08-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Im getting very anxious lately. The biggest (and only?) part of our
Offense is ....... Scotty Podsednik. If hes not hitting, and/or getting on base, our offense isnt too good. Were doing some of the little things, but there are too many Strikeout Artists on our team (Konerko, Crede, Everett, Uribe) and not enough solid contact/move runners up/make things happen types of guys on our team. Our pitching has to be lights out Every Nite or we lose. Our pitchers cant have one so/so inning (as El Duque did in first) otherwise .......we see what happened last nite. Hate to say this, but Konerko is one of the Biggest Culprits ...........

MIgrenade
08-09-2005, 12:34 PM

Yeah, after the Boston series I've found it hard to really care. Nobody will know anything about this team until October. By that I mean we won't know if Ozzie has over rested players, we won't know if they have become complacent, won't know if they have big game pitchers, if they can really hit when it counts, etc. I'm also not worried about the Yankees and this series. At least with Boston I figured the Sox would play them in October, the Yankees probably won't make it.
If you're worried about the Indians then you're missing something in the baseball intellect department. The White Sox are not known for collapses like some teams are. They are known for not winning when they make the post season. If you want to worry about something, that should give you plenty of fun for the next couple months.

Letmehearya
08-09-2005, 01:24 PM
I guess I'm short in the "baseball intellect" department to be worried about Cleveland. Let's see: they've won 6 out of 7, have better young talent than we do, a better offensive line-up than we do, and play a bunch of stiffs for the better part of the remainder of the year. We do have superior starting pitching that should get us over the top. Should the lead get within 8-9 games, watch the media frenzy. I, like Hangar, have real reservations about this team's offensive capabilities. That untelevised game in Minne can't get here soon enough.

spiffie
08-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Since All-Star Break:

White Sox: 15-10 .600
Cleveland: 13-11 .542

Cleveland is having a good 2 weeks. But even as hot as they've been, we've gained ground on them since the All-Star break, so I don't worry myself too much. Now if all of a sudden we lose 7 of 8 and Cleveland wins another 7 of 8, then I'll pay attention, until then, I'm worried only about how we will do in October.

kittle42
08-09-2005, 01:37 PM
I guess I'm short in the "baseball intellect" department to be worried about Cleveland. Let's see: they've won 6 out of 7, have better young talent than we do, a better offensive line-up than we do, and play a bunch of stiffs for the better part of the remainder of the year. We do have superior starting pitching that should get us over the top. Should the lead get within 8-9 games, watch the media frenzy. I, like Hangar, have real reservations about this team's offensive capabilities. That untelevised game in Minne can't get here soon enough.

As was pointed out earlier, even if the Sox play below .500 the rest of the way (and they have not done this for any significant stretch of the season), Cleveland has to play well over .700 ball to catch them.

That's pretty much all you need to know.

IowaSox1971
08-09-2005, 01:46 PM
This thing is not over yet. If we go 5-10 during this 15-game stretch against the Yankees, Boston and Minnesota, and Cleveland goes something like 12-3 in that span while playing weak teams, all of a sudden our lead is down to six games with more than a month to play. In that case, with Cleveland having a lot of momentum, we could have a difficult battle on our hands.

PaulDrake
08-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Do you want a chronological history of my most heartbreaking and disappointing moments as Sox fan since I came on board in the 1957 season? I didn't think so. Maybe I'm conditioned, but I see a number or reasons to be concerned. Additionally I don't want to see them limp into the playoffs and then have a quick exit a la 2000. Anything less than at least a WS appearance is unacceptable.

Letmehearya
08-09-2005, 01:57 PM
I'm tired of wasted outings like last night and many others. It's time for the offense to turn it up a notch and give the starters some support. Here's why I'm concerned - our offense [without Frank and Crazy Carl] may not be capable of more than 3-4 runs a night. When starting pitchers feel they have to throw a shutout to win, there's trouble. Need Pods to pick it up.

balke
08-09-2005, 02:02 PM
Since All-Star Break:

White Sox: 15-10 .600
Cleveland: 13-11 .542

Cleveland is having a good 2 weeks. But even as hot as they've been, we've gained ground on them since the All-Star break, so I don't worry myself too much. Now if all of a sudden we lose 7 of 8 and Cleveland wins another 7 of 8, then I'll pay attention, until then, I'm worried only about how we will do in October.

My god, we're ONLY .600? This season really is lost. Averaging about 3 runs a game and nearly NEVER getting shutout means nothing. Every game we need 6 runs at least.

I'm upset Dye didn't hit a single with 2 outs and runners on 2nd and 3rd last night, but that's all I'm angry about. The offense is juuuuuusssssst good enough with this pitching. They need Everett back though. I'd like a super DH, but other than that the lineup is fine. This is the same team we've won with all season.

And oh yeah, didn't we 4 game sweep the mighty Injuns last time we faced them? They were on a hot streak then as well.

voodoochile
08-09-2005, 02:56 PM
This thing is not over yet. If we go 5-10 during this 15-game stretch against the Yankees, Boston and Minnesota, and Cleveland goes something like 12-3 in that span while playing weak teams, all of a sudden our lead is down to six games with more than a month to play. In that case, with Cleveland having a lot of momentum, we could have a difficult battle on our hands.

Oh sweet merciful crap... Jay is that you? :rolleyes::dtroll:

voodoochile
08-09-2005, 02:57 PM
I'm tired of wasted outings like last night and many others. It's time for the offense to turn it up a notch and give the starters some support. Here's why I'm concerned - our offense [without Frank and Crazy Carl] may not be capable of more than 3-4 runs a night. When starting pitchers feel they have to throw a shutout to win, there's trouble. Need Pods to pick it up.

Yes, and IF CC is out for an extended period of time, they should go get or bring up another bat, BUT (and like mine, it's a big one) CC is due back possibly as soon as tonight and defintely by this weekend, so maybe it's time to put away the cyanide tablets and let this play out a bit...:rolleyes:

TornLabrum
08-09-2005, 03:17 PM
I think I've found the perfect way to use the dark cloud image. Like so.

:darkcloud:

zach23
08-09-2005, 03:40 PM
HomeFish would have loved this thread.

ChiSoxlukes
08-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Hopefully the tribe does put a scare into the Sox, maybe get the lead down to 5 games or so. You know, just to get their blood flowing and ready for the playoffs.

Iwritecode
08-09-2005, 04:28 PM

Have you seen the Sox September schedule? They play the central divsion 27 times in that month alone!

You know, the division they currently have a 32 - 9 record against...

balke
08-09-2005, 04:58 PM
Hopefully the tribe does put a scare into the Sox, maybe get the lead down to 5 games or so. You know, just to get their blood flowing and ready for the playoffs.

No thanks, I'd have to leave the board for about a month with that kind of White Sox collapse. 10 games is enough to get my blood boiling.

BeviBall!
08-09-2005, 05:02 PM
I see it getting down to 7 or 8 games. Nothing further.

ja1022
08-09-2005, 05:19 PM

I know you're putting a positive spin on things and all, but.........no. I don't buy into those "losing their edge" theories. They've been front runners the whole way and I hope they put the division away early. I hope they continue at a .650 clip, winning series, and stringing together winning streaks and finish the regular season strong. If they're the best team in baseball they should be able to get by a "battle tested" team that's just won a tight divisional or wild card race, and if they can't, the other team is just better. I can never see a positive in losing.

Letmehearya
08-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Let's get this thing up to 13 1/2 after tonight so I don't have to start

:gulp::gulp: