PDA

View Full Version : Did Fan Throw Punch?

skottyj242
08-09-2005, 10:00 AM
I watched the game last night and the catch that Scotty Pods made was unbelievable, I watched it live and saw the replays. This morning I open up the Sun-Times on the train and it clearly looks like a fan is throwing a right hook to Scott's right cheek. Did anyone else see this? Am I just dreaming? If I'm right, why isn't this a huge deal? I didn't see the angle on tv, just in today's paper.

Ol' No. 2
08-09-2005, 10:03 AM
I watched the game last night and the catch that Scotty Pods made was unbelievable, I watched it live and saw the replays. This morning I open up the Sun-Times on the train and it clearly looks like a fan is throwing a right hook to Scott's right cheek. Did anyone else see this? Am I just dreaming? If I'm right, why isn't this a huge deal? I didn't see the angle on tv, just in today's paper.I saw it on TV and wasn't sure I saw what I saw until the replay. No question. The fan punched him.

Clembasbal
08-09-2005, 10:09 AM
I saw it on TV and wasn't sure I saw what I saw until the replay. No question. The fan punched him.

Serious? I didn't even think about that. I am going to have to google that picture. Or somebody can scan it, right?:rolleyes:

BeviBall!
08-09-2005, 10:10 AM
He just has no hand-eye coordination. He punched him, but it wasn't intentional.

cbone
08-09-2005, 10:10 AM
go to the game recap thread, there is a great picture there

harwar
08-09-2005, 10:24 AM
Yea,if it was meant to be a punch in Pods face then the guy should sign up for the gold gloves competition.

SoxFan78
08-09-2005, 10:26 AM
here is the pic

Jerko
08-09-2005, 10:37 AM
He's the ONLY guy looking in the opposite direction of the ball. Either that punch was on purpose, or this guy catches worse than Bartman.

tschneid83
08-09-2005, 10:37 AM
i watched that clip over and over.... and I think he did hit him on purpose. He looks like he is going for the ball, going for the ball, then looks at pods realizing he is close, closes his fist and cracks him one. Sort of a real cheap shot. just my 2 cents.

IlliniSox
08-09-2005, 10:39 AM
here is the pic

Jesus! Sheffield would have gotten a pistol out of his Escalade if that was him getting clocked!

Way to stay classy Scott.

BeviBall!
08-09-2005, 10:42 AM
The ball went right over him and he's following the flight of the ball. He just decided to make a fist. Chances are his fingers closed when he made contact with Pods all thanks to gravity and pressure. I really don't think this was intentional... but it IS a New Yorker after all and all bets are off.

Jerko
08-09-2005, 10:45 AM
If he's following the flight of the ball, what are the rest of the people in that section looking at? I didn't see it as it happened, but that photo looks like it was a purpose punch.

cheeses_h_rice
08-09-2005, 10:48 AM
The fan wasn't trying to punch him. Get real.

BeviBall!
08-09-2005, 10:49 AM
If he's following the flight of the ball, what are the rest of the people in that section looking at? I didn't see it as it happened, but that photo looks like it was a purpose punch.

On the replay, to me it looked like the ball went directly over him and he's still trying to make a play on it.

MsSoxVixen22
08-09-2005, 10:53 AM
:o: WOW. Somehow I must have missed that. I really hope that wasn't intentional. :gulp: to Scott for keeping his cool! What is it with these New Yawkers?!

Jerko
08-09-2005, 10:59 AM
On the replay, to me it looked like the ball went directly over him and he's still trying to make a play on it.

That could be possible, but I was looking at the enlarged picture in the game thread (noted earlier in this thread) and it probably makes it look worse. Check that one out.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=806549&postcount=62

Everyone else has an open hand and is looking the other way. Plus, the way his wrist is turned, there is no way he was going for the ball IMO. Also, that's a near perfect fist, I don't think his hand would have closed like that if Scott just ran into it. Like I said, I didn't see the replay, but this PHOTO makes it look questionable.

cheeses_h_rice
08-09-2005, 11:04 AM
Pods went flying into the stands. Like the Bartman play, all the fans were trying to catch the foul ball. End of story.

krohnjw
08-09-2005, 11:05 AM
I have to say it wasn't intentional. Take a look at the way his fist is turned out. I don't know anyone who would twist their arm around when punching (try to punch that way, it hurts the elbow a bit). His arm isn't twisted, it's a full backhand. It looks to me like he may have been swiping at the ball and airballed it (Just my 2 cents).

Stroker Ace
08-09-2005, 11:06 AM
There was a blurb about that on the Yank's broadcast, but nothing after that. Looking at the pic, how could it no be intentoinal. And BTW, I know some Yankmee fans and they would do a lot more than punch someone if they had the chance.

BeviBall!
08-09-2005, 11:06 AM
That could be possible, but I was looking at the enlarged picture in the game thread (noted earlier in this thread) and it probably makes it look worse. Check that one out.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=806549&postcount=62

That photo is awesome. Even if it wasn't intentional... good motivator for the next two days?

Jerko
08-09-2005, 11:08 AM
That photo is awesome. Even if it wasn't intentional... good motivator for the next two days?

Hey, whatever works!!!

wilburaga
08-09-2005, 11:13 AM
The MLB White Sox site has 4 or 5 views of that play. As much as I despise the Yankees and their bottomfeeding fans, my conclusion is that the blow was unintentional. It's clear to me in the 3rd view (from centerfield) that the fan didn't see Pods coming and was making a lame one handed attempt to catch the ball when his arm collided with Scotty's face. (I don't think his left arm ever moved.) While I may exonerate the fan for the blow against Pods, he remains a suspect in the murder of Dr. Richard Kimble's wife.

W

santo=dorf
08-09-2005, 11:18 AM

When's the last time you tried catching a fould ball with a closed fist with your palm facing down?

woodenleg
08-09-2005, 11:21 AM
There was a blurb about that on the Yank's broadcast, but nothing after that. Looking at the pic, how could it no be intentoinal. And BTW, I know some Yankmee fans and they would do a lot more than punch someone if they had the chance.

Oh yeah. And would you believe that on all the Skankee boards, they're trying to deny this??

tsamdog
08-09-2005, 11:26 AM
When's the last time you tried catching a fould ball with a closed fist with your palm facing down?

You'd have to ask Manny Ramirez.....:cool:

cheeses_h_rice
08-09-2005, 11:30 AM

:rolleyes:

Please, watch the video (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20050808&content_id=1162642&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws). You're looking at one still photo of a bang-bang play -- the fan was swiping at the ball and trying to grab it. Hence the closed fist.

Stop embarrassing Sox fans with this b.s.

Jerko
08-09-2005, 11:30 AM

The only thing I could think of (if it wasn't intentional) is that he was afraid to get hit in the face with the ball (due to the fact that he's the ONLY one in the photo not looking towards the infield) and he tried to make a one handed, backhand, swipe catch as if he were wearing a glove. The perfect fist kinda goes against that notion, but whatever. Also, if your hand is extented to try to make a catch and you run into something, you will jam or crack your fingers, they won't ball up into a perfect fist. I guess he could have already missed the ball and Scott ran into him. Try it on your monitor. Open your fingers as if to catch a ball, then jam them into your screen. I bet you don't make a fist!

kevingrt
08-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Regardless of whether it was a punch or not it makes Pods catch that much better, because he had contact on the play too. I was so pissed we lost that ball game last nite because of some of the great plays Pods and A-Row made in the field. This hitting really needs to wake up. I know the Moose is good but we haven't been hitting for a long while.

cheeses_h_rice
08-09-2005, 11:38 AM
Still believe he was trying to throw a punch at Pods?

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/53342935.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2399169AC85D6DED2E72DB43C85B4456894A518D5B5 AA01621B2AC3A62513D3

voodoochile
08-09-2005, 11:38 AM

Watching it live, I noticed the punch, but didn't think it was intentional. He swiped at the ball trying to knock it away from Pods - the fan was NOT trying to catch it, merely keep it out of the mitt - his arm continued it's arc and the fist he had made to swipe at the ball connected with Pods. It wasn't really as hard as that picture makes it look either. Pods kind of shook his head, but he didn't get decked...

cheeses_h_rice
08-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Wow. Look at that fist aimed right at Pods' head.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/53342933.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2399169AC85D6DED2E72DB43C85B44563D0969BB979 E434621B2AC3A62513D3

skottyj242
08-09-2005, 11:42 AM
I stand corrected, the only picture I saw was in the Sun Times, I didn't see the one you just posted. Thanks.

Jerko
08-09-2005, 11:43 AM
I hope THAT guy doesn't coach a baseball team. Nice form.

CaptainBallz
08-09-2005, 11:44 AM

Please, watch the video (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20050808&content_id=1162642&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws). You're looking at one still photo of a bang-bang play -- the fan was swiping at the ball and trying to grab it. Hence the closed fist.

Stop embarrassing Sox fans with this b.s.

Yeah, watch the video--- A good photo, but by no means malicious. Let it go.

sti3
08-09-2005, 12:11 PM
He's a Yanks fan. He alertly made a perfect fist when he realized Pods had it. Violence is these guys' lives. They are very skilled in integrating it into otherwise innocent activities.

skottyj242
08-09-2005, 12:17 PM
I just watched the video and it was still a little suspect to me until I saw the view from left center, no harm intended. I apologize for starting this thread.

maurice
08-09-2005, 12:25 PM
He swiped at the ball trying to knock it away from Pods - the fan was NOT trying to catch it, merely keep it out of the mitt - his arm continued it's arc and the fist he had made to swipe at the ball connected with Pods.

So he intentionally formed a fist and tried to punch him in the glove, but missed and "accidentally" punched him in the face? Yeah, I can see that. However, this is not an adequate defense to a charge that he intentionally punched him in the face. If this interpretation is true, he ought to be in jail.

cheeses_h_rice
08-09-2005, 12:26 PM
I just watched the video and it was still a little suspect to me until I saw the view from left center, no harm intended. I apologize for starting this thread.

No problem. I saw the play live and thought nothing of the fan touching Pods as he dived for the ball.

I think this just proves that one photo does not a story tell.

CaptainBallz
08-09-2005, 12:30 PM
I think this just proves that one photo does not a story tell.

Except this one----
:barney&sham

I_Liked_Manuel
08-09-2005, 12:49 PM
some of you are unbelievable. it just goes to prove that you didn't watch the game, all you saw was a picture on here.

there's no chance he punched him on purpose

silenceofthehawk
08-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Jesus! Sheffield would have gotten a pistol out of his Escalade if that was him getting clocked!

Way to stay classy Scott.
Yeah DAWG!

Optipessimism
08-09-2005, 12:57 PM
I doubt anyone is going to turn their wrist in before punching someone. Unless you're Ike Turner, but then the palm stays flat.

mr_genius
08-09-2005, 01:06 PM
He's a Yanks fan. He alertly made a perfect fist when he realized Pods had it. Violence is these guys' lives. They are very skilled in integrating it into otherwise innocent activities.

hahahhaha

good one

skottyj242
08-09-2005, 01:09 PM
some of you are unbelievable. it just goes to prove that you didn't watch the game, all you saw was a picture on here.

there's no chance he punched him on purpose

Did you read my original post? I watched the game and thought it was a great catch. I said I didn't see the "punch" until I opened the paper on the train and saw the picture. How is that unbelievable?

I_Liked_Manuel
08-09-2005, 01:29 PM
Did you read my original post? I watched the game and thought it was a great catch. I said I didn't see the "punch" until I opened the paper on the train and saw the picture. How is that unbelievable?

do you really need an answer for that?

mterraza
08-09-2005, 01:32 PM
that punch was intentional. no doubt about it. I'm hoping sheffield gets a pie smashed in his face when he comes to comiskey. :mad:

Sxy Mofo
08-09-2005, 01:34 PM
The live video makes it not look nearly as bad as the picture. It look like the fan reached for the ball, but pods momentum took his glove farther towards the stands which makes it look like the guy wasn't going for the ball, which he was.

This is a non-issue, like so many other things that get blown out of proportion here.

Sxy Mofo
08-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Look at the replay a few more time. Notice where the "punching" fan's hand is when the ball reaches pods mitt. It's right near the mitt. he was going for the ball. Then pods momentum kind of twists the fans hand so it hits pods face.

Again, this is a non-issue.

chitownhawkfan
08-09-2005, 01:49 PM
I think the only thing you can fault this clown for is catching like a Sally.

sti3
08-09-2005, 01:58 PM
I think the only thing you can fault this clown for is catching like a Sally.I can fault him for being a greasy Yanks fan jagbag, too.

voodoochile
08-09-2005, 01:59 PM
I think the only thing you can fault this clown for is catching like a Sally.

I was thinking more like Randy Moss with a strong safety bearing down on his ribs...