PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 8/9/05

Hangar18
08-09-2005, 08:38 AM
This is the part of the year where the Bears begin to take over the Back Pages/Lead Pages in our sports sections. Heres another "look at these fans" moment. Caught the end of the Flubs game last nite, they were well on their way to losing, it was the 9th inning, and I was WAITING for Pat Hughes to make the comment when suddenly, he says "Though a lot of fans have left already, there are still quite a few people still here" "Yeah, Yeah" mumbled Santo. "Arent theres some great fans?" "Yeah ........mmmmm yeah" mumbled Santo again. Meanwhile, a quick flip of the channel to the game proved otherwise. Sox arent able to gain any significant ground on the cubs as far as coverage goes ......

Cubune:
4 cub stories
3 sox stories
Cub-Times:
4 cub stories
4 sox stories

Standings since only 7/25
4th Place, 4 games UNDER .500, 17 games OUT of first -CUBS 129
1st Place, 33 games OVER .500, 12.5 games AHEAD..... - SOX 89

Ol' No. 2
08-09-2005, 09:14 AM
Did you enjoy the headline in today's Cubune Sox article?

Beginning's the end

Gee, I wonder if they're trying to imply something.

credefan24
08-09-2005, 09:28 AM
This isn't directly related to the Cubune (great name, by the way), but last night at the 6pm news on Channel 7, that braindead goon Jim Rose started off the sports report with the Bears pre-game, THEN Notre Dame football, then finally he got to mention that "The Sox are playing in New york, game just underway." No video or shots of the team. Then, he goes to the Cubs, where there is video of some of the schlub players swinging their arms, and an interview with Nomar. What a fool.Go SOX

kittle42
08-09-2005, 09:57 AM
If the Bears actually win a few games in September, the Sox will literally get less coverage than ever.

Oh, apparently during the Cub game on TV last night, some guest in the booth, after the Cubs were down 9-0, said there were 30,000 happy people in the stands.

How true!

maurice
08-09-2005, 10:40 AM
I can't bring myself to watch local news sports segments. (I conducted some research WSI-style a few years ago and am suffering from PTSD.) Any idea how many TV outlets sent crews to New York? Remember, these are the same outlets that sent crews to Puerto Rico to cover a meaningless cubs series with the 4th-place Expos not too long ago.

cheeses_h_rice
08-09-2005, 10:48 AM
It is a bit irksome to see and hear how much Bears coverage there was last night vs. a pretty interesting Sox/Yankees series. Methinks that if it were, oh, the Flubs playing the Yankees, the situation would have been treated quite differently.

SoxFan78
08-09-2005, 11:03 AM
I can't bring myself to watch local news sports segments. (I conducted some research WSI-style a few years ago and am suffering from PTSD.) Any idea how many TV outlets sent crews to New York? Remember, these are the same outlets that sent crews to Puerto Rico to cover a meaningless cubs series with the 4th-place Expos not too long ago.

Were there any Chicago news outlets in Yankee Stadium???

SOXPHILE
08-09-2005, 11:07 AM
I heard dumb and dumbest spewing out that crapola too ! Do they do this every inning of every game ? I had just finished watching the Sox game, and had to run a quick errand. I had seen on the updates during the Sox game that the Cubs were losing 4-0, then 8-0. So, in the car, I flipped on Radio For The Criminally Stupid, to cheer myself up a bit and listen to Santo wet himself as his beloved Cubs lose again. In the 2 innings I listened, they must have said 6 or 7 times how geat the fans are, "Most people have stuck around". Sickening. It is an absolute fact that they play to the lowest common demoninator on that station, people with no, or almost no baseball knowledge. Also, I heard that it was "70's Night" at Wrigley. Well, they certainly are playing like those "great" Cub teams of the 70's, featuring Steve Ontiveros, Larry Bitner, Ivan DeJesus, with Paul Rueschel on the mound serving up those homeruns. I also heard that Jimmy "J.J." Walker sang the 7th inning stretch ? Wow. How deep down into the C list celebrity barrel did they have to go to get him ? That's a guy who even Frank Stallone and Pia Zadora would be shaking their heads at. I can hear the interview with Him, Pat and Ron now:

Pat: "So Jimmy, you where J.J. on Good Times huh ?
Jimmy: "Yep. I sure was"
Pat: "Well, that sure was a funny show".
Jimmy: "Thanks"
----Silence-----
Ron: "Uhhhh...ummm...you know, uhhh....I don't think I saw that show, but I'm sure it was funny....
----Silence-------

cheeses_h_rice
08-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Boers & Bernstein have been playing a great audio clip of Jimmy "J.J." Walker screaming "Two grand slams!" after singing the 7th inning stretch, not realizing the Flubs were losing by two grand slams + one more.

:redface:

TornLabrum
08-09-2005, 11:22 AM
Boers & Bernstein have been playing a great audio clip of Jimmy "J.J." Walker screaming "Two grand slams!" after singing the 7th inning stretch, not realizing the Flubs were losing by two grand slams + one more.

:redface:

My guess is that he thought a grand slam was worth 5 runs.

SOXPHILE
08-09-2005, 11:29 AM
I heard that too ! That's how I found out he was the "Guest Conductor". My guess is that most of the sheep in attendance where unaware that the were down by that much too.

-"Wow ! Look Lance ! We're down 9-0 ! That's like alot of runs or something."

-"Huh ? Really ? Aw man, I didn't even realize that ! That sucks ! I'm sooooo drunk right now. 70's night is awesome. That J.J guy said 2 grandslams, so if we hit 2 of those, we win, I think. Oh, give me some of those marte gras beads, Lisa. I wanna toss them to those girls in front of us. This is fun !!!"

Dick Allen
08-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Cub announcers always tell us how cub fans are such great fans for sticking around. The fact is they're usually too drunk to go anywhere else but the urinal.

Argalarga
08-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Oh, apparently during the Cub game on TV last night, some guest in the booth, after the Cubs were down 9-0, said there were 30,000 happy people in the stands.

I think he meant 30,000 drunk people.

dickallen15
08-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Cub announcers always tell us how cub fans are such great fans for sticking around. The fact is they're usually too drunk to go anywhere else but the urinal.

The only reason they stick around is because they all buy 5 beers at last call, and are sitting there finishing them.