PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Close But No Cigar Post-Game Thread

NSSoxFan
08-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Man, I wish El Duque didn't make that mistake to ARod in the first.

Great pitching from our guys. We did have several opportunities to get runs across, didn't do it. Also, Wendelstadt killed our momentum in the second by calling Dye out on an inside pitch that was half-way up his jersey.

Go get 'em tomorrow.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-08-2005, 09:08 PM
If we're gonna lose one, let it be to Mussina...get it out of the way. Go get 'em tomorrow.

BeviBall!
Bad umping and a bad luck 2nd doomed us from the start. It was a great baseball game.

PeteWard
I was only following on GameCast but this does not look like a loss to get too upset about. Looks like the game turned on one pitch and the Sox pretty much outplayed NY. Am I correct?

itsnotrequired
08-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Yankee relievers were dominating. Three pitchers, 23 pitches.

oeo
We shouldn't have even lost to Mussina. The win was right there, right there! Bleghh!

Domeshot17
Our Offense needs to pick it back up, Lets Hope that Carl comes back hot after the rest.

Orlando beat himself again IMO. Walk to Sheffield then the Walk which JEter later knocked in. While he cut some of the walks down, 2 of the 3 runs came on Walks. Him and Jose need to start finding the zone.

RowandKicksAss07
Tough game. Dye had a rough one, but go get 'em tomorrow. Rowand saved Hernandez in the first with those great catches...I'm not sure if anyone else caught this, but did anyone hear Hawk say Gonzales when A-Rod was up? I thought that was hysterical!

DickAllen72
It appeared that Wendlestadt and his crew were determined to make it very difficult for the Sox to win this game tonight.

chisoxmike
Sox had many opportunities to win the game, they didn't get it done.
Let the Yankees fans celebrate like they just won the World Series, we still have a better record than them, they probably wont even make the playoffs.
Anyway, El Duque pitched solid after a rough first two innings, but for some reason the offsense can't bail him out lately.

**** the Yankees.

:angry:

PeteWard
08-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Our Offense needs to pick it back up, Lets Hope that Carl comes back hot after the rest.

Orlando beat himself again IMO. Walk to Sheffield then the Walk which JEter later knocked in. While he cut some of the walks down, 2 of the 3 runs came on Walks. Him and Jose need to start finding the zone.

Why no walks for us?:(:

Stroker Ace
08-08-2005, 09:12 PM
I don't know which was worse. Seeing the Sox lose or having to hear the godawfel Yankmee announcers call the game.:angry:

TaylorStSox
Let the Yankees fans celebrate like they just won the World Series, we still have a better record than them, they probably wont even make the playoffs.
Anyway, El Suque pitched solid after a rough first two innings, but for some reason the offsense can't bail him out lately.

**** the Yankees.

El Suque? Classy.

cheeses_h_rice
JD racked up on a dubious called third strike, Pods getting robbed of what looked like a tie on a bunt single attempt...a couple things that might have made the difference this game.

A real shame that El Duque had his usual early inning shakes.

Great defense by Aaron (twice) and Pods (catching that foul ball in the LF stands). Great relief by Jenks and Cotts.

Just not enough. Get 'em tomorrow.

chisoxmike
El Suque? Classy.

Oops, I didn't mean that, I'll fix it.:redface:

NSSoxFan
08-08-2005, 09:13 PM
Why no walks for us?:(:

It has become apparent in the past weeks that teams are looking to get ahead in the count against us and they are succeeding. Then again, every team should be doing that everytime. It seems that in the past two weeks, I look up and see a 0-1 or 0-2 count.

TaylorStSox
08-08-2005, 09:14 PM
JD racked up on a dubious called third strike, Pods getting robbed of what looked like a tie on a bunt single attempt...a couple things that might have made the difference this game.

A real shame that El Duque had his usual early inning shakes.

Great defense by Aaron (twice) and Pods (catching that foul ball in the LF stands). Great relief by Jenks and Cotts.

Just not enough. Get 'em tomorrow.

Don't forget Dye's catch and throw. I though Pods was out and I know Uribe was out on a pick off attempt earlier. We got as many breaks as they did. They just won a pitching duel. That's baseball.

JB98
I hate losing to that team. :angry:

All the East Coast media are going to claim we are not for real. No TV or newspapers for me tomorrow. I don't want to hear it.

GiveMeSox
Anyway, El Suque pitched solid after a rough first two innings, but for some reason the offsense can't bail him out lately.

**** the Yankees.

The sox left 10 on base tonite. That simply doens't produce winners. They had 9 hits and only 2 runs. JD left 4 on base tonite and 2 for Aaron. We pride ourselves in clutch hitting and tonite we werne't clutch. The umps didn't help out either.

NDSox12
08-08-2005, 09:16 PM
I'm not going to get too upset about this one. The pitching staff was awesome as usual. Just not enough offense. I like our chances against Chacon and then whomever the Yankees dig up from the grave to pitch on Wednesday.

Despite his two hits tonight, let's hope this is the last time we see Timo batting fifth in the lineup.

MRKARNO
08-08-2005, 09:16 PM
We got shut down by the best the Yanks and their 200 mil had to offer. Big deal. The most relevant questions in tonight's game was can El Duque keep the Yankees in check? Can our bullpen keep them in check? Can we go another day while staying healthy? The answer to all of those questions is yes. Most of the time if you pitch a definition quality start against the Yankees, you're in good shape. We did. Jenks and Cotts made them look silly (especially Jenks who showed why he is going to be one of the dominant closers in baseball in the very near future).

And our defense tonight looked as good as it had been for most of the season except for a one week stretch there. It's nice to see that it's back in form. It was one Web Gem calibur play after another.

Shawn Chacon and Aaron Small. That's the best that 200 million dollars can offer over the next two games. I like our chances.

FarWestChicago
08-08-2005, 09:17 PM
All the East Coast media are going to claim we are not for real. No TV or newspapers for me tomorrow. I don't want to hear it.Then don't. There is no need to read or watch the crap.

DickAllen72
Don't forget Dye's catch and throw. I though Pods was out and I know Uribe was out on a pick off attempt earlier. We got as many breaks as they did. They just won a pitching duel. That's baseball.
Uribe was safe. The Pods play was closer, but he still beat it out.

TheOldRoman
Another day, another screw job by the umpires. The Yankees' pitchers enjoyed a strike zone about a foot larger than our pitchers on either side of the plate. Then there is the blown call on A-Rod, which was a blatantly horrible call (as bad as the umpire not knowing on wed that a play doesn't take a base when he swings at a ball that hits him). The Wendlestedt Show was in full force tonight.

However, our offense was horrible today. Mussina is well passed his prime, and he didn't look particularly good tonight. Our offense should have put several more runs up, but we didn't. It looked like the 6th inning virtually ended the game. Our hitters looked like they weren't even trying the last 3 innings, with most at bats going 2 or 3 pitches. El Duque pitched great sans the first two innings, its a shame he couldn't get the win. We embarrassed ourselves against a mediocre team tonight, better luck tomorrow.

Kogs35
these umps suck. pods was safe in the first. im going to hassel wendelstend when hes umping 3rd tomorow night. cant wait for the game tomorow

TaylorStSox
08-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Uribe was safe. The Pods play was closer, but he still beat it out.

I hear they're offering free eye exams at Sears nowadays.

infohawk
08-08-2005, 09:19 PM

I wouldn't say El Duque beat himself. Sure, he shouldn't have thrown a 3-1 cookie to A-Rod, but I can't ask for more than what he did. He had a quality start with six innings and three runs. He's not the type of pitcher whom you can expect to go out and give up just a run or two. Six innings and 3-4 runs is a pretty good outing for El Duque, especially against a team with the type of offense that the Yankees have.

Overall, it was White Sox baseball. Quality start, superior bullpen effort, great defense and some execution to move runners over. The Yankees were outhit 9-4. We just couldn't get that one hit to plate another run or two. It happens. I give some credit to Mussina. He looked pretty sharp out there.

We may have something very, very special in Bobby Jenks. He may become our Billy Wagner.

DickAllen72
08-08-2005, 09:21 PM
I hear they're offering free eye exams at Sears nowadays.
I hope you made an appointment.

Ol' No. 2
08-08-2005, 09:23 PM
Hernandez is falling into a pattern. Gets lit up the first inning or two, then settles down. It looks to me like it takes him an inning or two to get command of his curveball and has to rely on his fastball, which isn't good enough on its own. Overall, Sox pitchers held the Yanks to 4 hits. You're supposed to win those.

Four hitters in the Sox lineup hitting below .250. Not hard to understand why they can't sustain a rally. When Timo Perez is your DH, you know you're in trouble. They need another bat. Even when Everett comes back, the have basically no bat on the bench.

CHISOXFAN13
08-08-2005, 09:25 PM
I hope you made an appointment.

You seem pretty confident he was safe. It was close, but IMHO, he was out by an eye lash.

The easy way out is to constantly blame the umpires. They sucked yes, but so did the Sox with runners on.

Go get 'em tomorrow, I guess.

RowandKicksAss07
08-08-2005, 09:25 PM
I'm sorry to make this a rumor thread thing, but considering this is the most popular thread, I thought i'd post the question/comment here. Anyone see on espn.com that it says the White Sox are still pursuing Griffey. I'm only 16 and don't have a credit card to get into that section of INSIDER, can anyone fill me in to what it says?

jdm2662
08-08-2005, 09:27 PM
Should've won the game, but didn't. The Duke needs not to dig himself in the hole early in the game. If it weren't for Rowand, the game would've been over in the first innings. If this is the mighty Yankees, I'm not the least bit impressed. Go get em tommorrow boys.

cheeses_h_rice
08-08-2005, 09:28 PM
I'm sorry to make this a rumor thread thing, but considering this is the most popular thread, I thought i'd post the question/comment here. Anyone see on espn.com that it says the White Sox are still pursuing Griffey. I'm only 16 and don't have a credit card to get into that section of INSIDER, can anyone fill me in to what it says?

Sigh.

Won't happen.

The White Sox, with the best record in baseball, are dead last in line for claiming players off of waivers.

The Yankees desperately need a center fielder, and would almost definitely snap up Griffey before the Sox had a chance to. That alone tells me Griffey won't be on the Sox this year.

winning ugly 72
08-08-2005, 09:29 PM
sox had a bunch of missed opportunites, the defense and our bullpen looked great! get'em tomorrow, my flight leaves at 9am for new york i will see it in person then i am off to boston on friday

infohawk
08-08-2005, 09:30 PM
The Wendlestedt Show was in full force tonight.

However, our offense was horrible today. Mussina is well passed his prime, and he didn't look particularly good tonight.

We embarrassed ourselves against a mediocre team tonight, better luck tomorrow.

I completely agree about Wendlestedt. What a buffoon! We need to post a picture of him for use as the universal symbol of bad umpiring!

I have to very politely disagree with the above final two points. I don't think we embarrassed ourselves. We played a pretty tight game and just couldn't seem to get one more clutch hit. If anything, we demonstrated fortress warrior defense (Aaron and Pods), a quality start and some domination out of the bullpen. We limited a pretty good offense to three runs. The Yankees and their fans have got to be talking about Bobby Jenks!

With regard to the offense, we outhit them 9-4. I thought Mussina looked pretty sharp. He was constantly ahead of the hitters and was throwing his breaking stuff consistently for strikes. Out of the three games, tonight's was the one I was most concerned about. Hopefully Contreras has something to prove tommorrow.

Vernam
08-08-2005, 09:30 PM
As my daddy always said, strange things happen in Yankee Stadium. I remember Oscar Gamble getting called out there at 1B (when he was with the Sox) on a play where he beat the throw by two steps. Don't expect to ever get a call there, much less when Wendelstedt's crew is working.

But Duque made his own bed by falling behind too many counts early. Without the two Rowand catches, it's probably a blowout.

VC

Brian26
08-08-2005, 09:35 PM
Another day, another screw job by the umpires. The Yankees' pitchers enjoyed a strike zone about a foot larger than our pitchers on either side of the plate.

And don't think this wasn't in Dye's mind when he struck out with two men in scoring position. Dye's hands were tied behind his back in that at-bat. He had to protect the inside part of the plate knowing full well that Mussina could drop the hammer and get the call on the outside corner any time he wanted. Credit to Mussina for working Dye inside, inside, inside that entire at-bat, but JD was in a tough spot there, especially given what happened to him in the 1st inning.

Ol' No. 2
08-08-2005, 09:35 PM
Sigh.

Won't happen.

The White Sox, with the best record in baseball, are dead last in line for claiming players off of waivers.

The Yankees desperately need a center fielder, and would almost definitely snap up Griffey before the Sox had a chance to. That alone tells me Griffey won't be on the Sox this year.What do you mean the Yankees need a center fielder? They have Tony Womack!

NSSoxFan
08-08-2005, 09:36 PM
And don't think this wasn't in Dye's mind when he struck out with two men in scoring position. Dye's hands were tied behind his back in that at-bat. He had to protect the inside part of the plate knowing full well that Mussina could drop the hammer and get the call on the outside corner any time he wanted. Credit to Mussina for working Dye inside, inside, inside that entire at-bat, but JD was in a tough spot there, especially given what happened to him in the 1st inning.

Great post. I was thinking the same thing.

TheOldRoman
08-08-2005, 09:39 PM

Exactly. That pitch was probably 8 inches inside, but Dye had to swing at it because it would have been called a strike anyways.

infohawk
08-08-2005, 09:42 PM
The sox left 10 on base tonite. That simply doens't produce winners. They had 9 hits and only 2 runs. JD left 4 on base tonite and 2 for Aaron. We pride ourselves in clutch hitting and tonite we werne't clutch. The umps didn't help out either.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys think that we might have scored one more run had Timo's double not been of the ground-rule variety? If I recall correctly, Konerko (slow) was on first but with two outs would have been running on contact. If he WOULD have scored, the actual outcome is just one of those really close events that doesn't go your way. Not to relive the past, but I still think that the first game we lost during the Mariner series might have been different had Sexon not been so unusually positioned to spear Iguchi's liner. I mean, that ball was smoked right over the foul line. I think that would gotten to the corner and plated two runs.

My point is not to say "what if, what if," but to acknowledge that baseball is a funny game and victory or defeat can turn on very, very close plays. It's part of the game's intrinsic beauty!

NDSox12
08-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you guys think that we might have scored one more run had Timo's double not been of the ground-rule variety? If I recall correctly, Konerko (slow) was on first but with two outs would have been running on contact. If he WOULD have scored, the actual outcome is just one of those really close events that doesn't go your way. Not to relive the past, but I still think that the first game we lost during the Mariner series might have been different had Sexon not been so unusually positioned to spear Iguchi's liner. I mean, that ball was smoked right over the foul line. I think that would gotten to the corner and plated two runs.

My point is not to say "what if, what if," but to acknowledge that baseball is a funny game and victory or defeat can turn on very, very close plays. It's part of the game's intrinsic beauty!

The only way Konerko scores on that play is if Matsui slips and falls.

infohawk
08-08-2005, 09:44 PM

Fair enough. :tongue:

Ol' No. 2
08-08-2005, 09:46 PM
The only way Konerko scores on that play is if Matsui slips and falls.Not necessarily. Depending on the bounce, it could have gone all the way to the wall. With 2 out, Konerko would have been running on contact. And Matsui doesn't have the strongest arm.

That's the breaks.

NDSox12
08-08-2005, 09:48 PM
Not necessarily. Depending on the bounce, it could have gone all the way to the wall. With 2 out, Konerko would have been running on contact. And Matsui doesn't have the strongest arm.

That's the breaks.

Well, yeah, I suppose it is conceivable that he could have scored on that play, but I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over that one. Especially since its not like Perez hit the crap out of it anyway.

SoxSpeed22
08-08-2005, 09:56 PM
One of those games, we made more mistakes than them, they win. Positives, El Duque shutting them down after the first 2, Rowand's 2 catches and Cotts and Jenks' relief. Wendlestedt behind the plate is almost as bad as when Hue Hollins was refree (Older Bulls fans can vouch for me). Except don't ever remind me of those BS calls that made the difference.

cheeses_h_rice
08-08-2005, 09:58 PM

I don't think Konerko even realized there were 2 outs on that play -- when the GR was called, he seemed confused, standing between 2nd and 3rd, instead of busting his ass as hard as he could.

Also, the ball bounced in front of Matsui, so even if it caromed weird, he would only have had to go back a few feet, grab it, and chuck it to home. Konerko would not have been sent by Cora. Or, at least I hope he wouldn't.

BeviBall!
08-08-2005, 10:06 PM
I really fear for Jose tomorrow. If we're going to win, it'll have to be a slugfest.

It was a great baseball game tonight... even though we lost, I enjoyed the defense and the pitching.

And I'm sure a tape is in the mail to the umpiring head offices. 4 umps not knowing the rules is pretty ridiculous.

mjmcend
08-08-2005, 10:11 PM
The Duke limiting a fantasy players wet dream lineup to 3 ERs over 6 innings is outstanding. Outstanding relief as well. Go get'um tommorrow.

Vernam
08-08-2005, 10:15 PM
I completely agree about Wendlestedt. What a buffoon! We need to post a picture of him for use as the universal symbol of bad umpiring!Fortunately, Harvey's son is already quite recognizable as cover boy for Pimple magazine:

http://www.cipherdom.com/pix/pimple.jpg

VC

SluggersAway
08-08-2005, 10:56 PM
Vernam Cipher is a sicko without any class. That is one tasteless comment. Attacking his son?

Unregistered
08-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Just got back from the game - I wanted so bad for the Sox to come back and win this one - for obvious reasons, but also cause the ****ing "Bleacher Creatures" are so ****ing annoying I was praying for them to get silenced.

I was really hoping for a little more of a fight against Mo Rivera, especially after the incredibly lame "Enter Sandman" followed by the predictable standing ovation, but sadly the Sox went down without a fight.

Overall, I found it a pretty good game - just sucks to be in a 2-0 hole pretty much out of the gate.

Oh, and from 400 feet, Pods looked safe on that bunt. :smile:

These next two bums the Yankees are trotting out for the rest of the series should be very hittable - if our pitching holds up, we can easily win a couple 5-2, 6-3 games and get out of there with 2 of 3.

voodoochile
08-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Uribe was out... he was called safe.

Pods was out... he was called out.

Dye swung at one of the nastiest pitches I have seen in a while... he was out too.

Tough loss, but no conspiracy...

:toonsdonotwin

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

Corlose 15
08-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Terribly dissapointing game, Mussina did not pitch that well but made clutch pitches when he had to. Take the next two against the bums the Yankees are throwing and I'll be happy. The offense has been underperforming for about a week now. Hopefully Crazy can jumpstart them when he comes back. Any word on when that might be?

flo-B-flo
08-08-2005, 11:44 PM
kicking their ****in ass tomorrow would go a long way towards making today feel better.:?:

SpartanSoxFan
08-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Tonight is definetely a night we could've really used Big Frank. He has Mussina's number (I think he has more HRs off Mussina than any other pitcher in his career). Oh well, get 2 out of 3 and we'll be alright.

skobabe8
08-09-2005, 12:03 AM

Maybe Cora would have held him up. :tongue:

mdep524
08-09-2005, 12:34 AM
I was at work so I couldn't catch all of the commentary by Hawk and DJ, but I could have sworn I heard Hawk mention something about Wimpy. Did anybody else hear that? Somewhere in the middle of the game, the 7th inning maybe.

It sounded like he was talking about calling a game with Wimpy back in the day. If anyone can verify this, let me know, because I don't think I've heard Hawk talk about the Wimpster AT ALL since he left 5 years ago, what with their strained relationship and all.

Just curious.

Vernam
08-09-2005, 12:41 AM
Vernam Cipher is a sicko without any class. That is one tasteless comment. Attacking his son?Harvey is Hunter's dad, as I'd bet 99.9 percent of WSI members know. And a pimple is what Ozzie compared Hunter to last year: LINK (http://www.ourbigcountry.com/p/articles/mi_qn4155/is_20040814/ai_n12555202). I wouldn't dare specify where Oz said the near-pimple wasn't fit to reside, because that would be, you know, tasteless. :rolleyes:

VC

Man Soo Lee
08-09-2005, 12:48 AM
It sounded like he was talking about calling a game with Wimpy back in the day. If anyone can verify this, let me know, because I don't think I've heard Hawk talk about the Wimpster AT ALL since he left 5 years ago, what with their strained relationship and all.

Hawk was talking about the first time he saw Matsui, which was during one of those series between Japanese and Major League all-star teams. Hawk and Wimpy apparently did the broadcasts one year.

gosox83
08-09-2005, 01:06 AM
I liked the way the Sox held their own against that 200 million dollar piece of junk they call the yankees.

However,

If we are going to win games it is because our pitching keeps us in the whole game. (which it did)

Last time El Duque pitched he had a rough first inning and then it was pretty much lights out the rest of the way. In that game If I remember correctly we had chances to move runners over and get them in, but did not execute, therefore the four runs he gave up in the first inning were enough.

Same with tonight.
Follow me here.

After giving up those two runs in the first the Sox get the first two runners on in the 2nd inning. I felt it was very important to just scratch across one run and start chipping away.

Dye is up with Rowand on deck..Dye is cold right now, but hits Mussina pretty hard, I understand that. As for Rowand, he has been making solid contact quite consistently lately.

Why not have Dye bunt the runners over there even though it is early, we cannot play for the big inning with the bottom of our order about to come up.

The ball that Rowand hit that turned into a DP could have scored a run if not squeaked through if the middle infielders were half way with runners on 2nd and 3rd and one out.

I did not like the move by Ozzie to not play small ball in that case.

Am I way off??

GO SOX!!!

Mercy!
08-09-2005, 01:24 AM
Even though I watched a reply in slow motion a couple of times, I didn't notice that spectator's fist in Scott's face.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/08/09/sports/09yanks3.lg.jpg
Photo: Barton Silverman/The New York Times

ChiSoxGirl
08-09-2005, 01:39 AM
Those damn New Yorkers! :angry: Just because he beat out their precious ARod as the 32nd man on the All-Star Team, they have to go punch him?! :redneck I know it wasn't intentional, but it sure looks like it could've been.

Anyway, that's got to be one of the greatest action shots I've seen posted on this board! :smile: Pods just leaped right off the ground for that one!

:hawk
"I luuuv All-Star plays!"

RedFoxSoxFan
08-09-2005, 01:59 AM
Just got back from the game and i have a few long winded notes:

1. We definately out played and are an all around better team than the Yankees -- when driving home i heard on WFAN's postgame that this was just the second win this season by the yankees when they only scored 4 or less runs. The Yankee's have also hit their high water mark with an incredible 10 wins over .500 -- let NY fans enjoy their "RECORD SETTING WIN" and lets take the next two

2. This road trip is the ESPN roadtrip. Listening to "Mike and The Mad Dog" driving down to the game was made extra sweet by having to listen to Mad Dog disrespect the White Sox, claiming that this road trip is the most im/portant one of the season (which may be true to humble SportCenter highlight followers) and that they really haven't played that hard of a scheduale.

3. Bobby Jenks, Bobby Jenks, Bobby Jenks...... Honestly, he was the one guy i wanted to see more than anyone else play. As soon as i saw him warming up in the Bullpen i was starting to talk him up to Yankee fans around me. "This guy will blow your minds" and to be quite honest he did. With his first fastball to Sheffield that sheff barely managed to get around on, i heard a few ppl sitting around me "Holy Jesus" and other explictives of astonishment. One or two of his pitch speeds didn't register with the Speedometer above the scoreboard-- i can only assume that means they were 100+mph. Also another "Pitch/Speedometer malfunction" i found rather amuzing, when he threw his "off-speed fastball" that went 87mph after he had established his fastball to be in the high 90's, they failed to report the pitch thrown on said display. I can only imagine the arguement that took place between the two guys operating the display in trying to properly name an 87mph changeup pitch :D:.

4. White Sox fan's despite being in the extreme minority at a game with 55,000 spectators made their presence felt. Every "Let' s go Yank-ee's" chant i heard from my seat in the deep left field tier seats was started by a few WS fans "Let's go White Sox" chants that were quickly co-oped into the yankee fan friendly chant. Also at the end of the game when my father and myself were exiting the stadium we walked behind a drunken yankee fan that almost started two fights with fellow yankee brethren. I passed a woman, mid-to-late twenties, rockin the sox army fatigue (fitted Sox Hat and an 80's SOX Jersey) who offered the words "Well we'll get them tomarrow" tomyself. I also had the oppertunity to remininsce with another passing whitesox fan about the MB and Lee "Swan Dives" onto the tarp during a whitesox rain delay earlier this season.
/I really do love rockin my signed Kenny Williams Jersey -- it's more than clothing, it's a calling card.

Other Assorted Quick Notes

- I've newfound respect for Mariano Rivera -- 30 straight save's pretty good
- 9 hits and only 2 runs to show for it?
- Podsednick is faster in real life than on TV, yet not fAst enough to win over a partial umpiring crew.
- The inability of sportswear shops outside around yankee stadium (and even in the stadium itself) to carry mershandice of anyother team in the Major League further illustrates the arrogance of yankee fan proprietors. I mean yes- it is possible to make extra money by selling merch that not every other store ten feet down the road has. My advice to them, take the UN approach. Even though America really is the only UN member that means anything, we still have the decency to raise all the other countries flags.

(it made sense in my head)
Matt

Argalarga
08-09-2005, 02:19 AM
2. This road trip is the ESPN roadtrip. Listening to "Mike and The Mad Dog" driving down to the game was made extra sweet by having to listen to Mad Dog disrespect the White Sox, claiming that this road trip is the most im/portant one of the season (which may be true to humble SportCenter highlight followers) and that they really haven't played that hard of a scheduale.

I know. It's not so much how ESPN treats the Sox, it's how they bend over backwards to praise the Yankees, even when the Yankees have done nothing to deserve it. And it's not just regional stations. I was listening to the national SportsCenter radio update tonight and the guy is going on and on about the Yankees reaching their high-water mark and keeping pace with Boston and improving to 2-32 when they score 3 or fewer runs...then he moved on to Golf. If I hadn't been driving down Venice Blvd, I'd have sworn I was listening to KFAN. It's pathetic.

The fact is these games aren't as important as our remaining games against the Twins and Indians. And if ESPN wants to disrespect us, fine. I'm laughing all the way to October.

cbone
08-09-2005, 05:52 AM
Lots of positives for me, Rowand's spectacular defense, El Duque settling in, Jenks. Cotts, both perfect. A loss always stinks and we had our chances but there were some things to keep us happy. Let's get them today, I like the match-up.

BeviBall!
08-09-2005, 07:14 AM
Hopefully Crazy Carl will be back in because this offense needs a kick in the tail. It's the wrong time to see teams like NYY and Boston since all they do is thump. Time to remember we're the best road team and start stringing hits together again.

samram
08-09-2005, 08:35 AM
The Sox threw their #5 against their #2, maybe their #1, and lost 3-2. Big deal. The only problem I had with the umpiring is that ARod intentionally interfered with Dye's throw, but it didn't lead to a run anyway. Remember, the Sox don't have to win, the Yankees do.

That said, I really hope Contreras doesn't wet the bed tonight. However, the Sox should be able to do something against Chacon.

SoxFan78
08-09-2005, 09:13 AM
I completely agree about Wendlestedt. What a buffoon! We need to post a picture of him for use as the universal symbol of bad umpiring!

I am a bad umpire!

itsnotrequired
08-09-2005, 09:16 AM
That photo of the Pods punch is amazing. When I watched it live, it simply looked like the guy was swiping at the ball. Didn't realize it was a full on swing that made contact. A crappy punch, for sure but what was that "fan" thinking?:?:

DaveIsHere
08-09-2005, 09:20 AM
Someone post that a tanme fan site, they are all saying he was going for the ball......classless!!

infohawk
08-09-2005, 09:22 AM
I am a bad umpire!

Thank's for finding the picture!!!:D:

mdep524
08-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Hawk was talking about the first time he saw Matsui, which was during one of those series between Japanese and Major League all-star teams. Hawk and Wimpy apparently did the broadcasts one year. Thanks, MSL. That is really interesting, because I cannot remember Hawk as much as even mentioning Wimpy during telecasts for the past five years. (Whereas he'll talk about Don Drysdale at length.)

Fake Chet Lemon
08-09-2005, 02:21 PM
No big deal to drop that one. I just want to see the team play well and they played well. If we go 2-4 in NY and Boston AND WE PLAY WELL, I won't panic (for once). Double digit division leads are a nice thing to have.

Frankfan4life
08-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Those damn New Yorkers! :angry: Just because he beat out their precious ARod as the 32nd man on the All-Star Team, they have to go punch him?! :redneck I know it wasn't intentional, but it sure looks like it could've been.

Anyway, that's got to be one of the greatest action shots I've seen posted on this board! :smile: Pods just leaped right off the ground for that one!

:hawk
"I luuuv All-Star plays!"Check the replays of Scotty's catch on the Sox MLB web site. The punch certainly looked intentional to me.

balke
08-09-2005, 05:02 PM
The Punch was intentional, nothing really to be done about it. You're in New York, and you aren't the Red Sox. I don't even think the Red Sox would've gotten that guy disciplined. It just further enforces a stereotype of New Yorkers and their cheap shot/violent "tough guy" persona.

Dick Allen
08-09-2005, 05:41 PM
If the punch was really intentional, Scotty should have pointed out the punk to security and have his ugly ass removed.

balke
08-09-2005, 05:48 PM
If the punch was really intentional, Scotty should have pointed out the punk to security and have his ugly ass removed.

I doubt Scotty knew it was intentional. The guy went for the ball first, then dropped a fist into scotty's face when he realized Scotty was going to get it. For all Pods knew, it probably seemed to happen completely by accident.