PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Shea and Yankee Stadium

OzzieBall2005
08-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Watching Sunday Night Baseball last night at Shea and watching the Sox right now, why do both stadiums have their rows of seats sectioned off with railings??? It almost seems as if a person were to try to walk across an entire row he/she would not be able to. I think it looks pretty aweful, especially at Shea with the orange rails. I'll reword the question if need be, I hope someone out there understands what I'm talking about. Thanks a lot.

Frater Perdurabo
08-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Watching Sunday Night Baseball last night at Shea and watching the Sox right now, why do both stadiums have their rows of seats sectioned off with railings??? It almost seems as if a person were to try to walk across an entire row he/she would not be able to. I think it looks pretty aweful, especially at Shea with the orange rails. I'll reword the question if need be, I hope someone out there understands what I'm talking about. Thanks a lot.

Perhaps the rails are in place to ensure that people go to the nearest aisle instead of walking in front of nine people to go to the restroom, buy a beer, etc.?

Last week when I was at the Cell it sure would have been handy to have some railings like these. The people who sat in the row in front of me didn't pay any attention to the game and without exception got up to either buy concessions, use the restroom or move to visit with people in other rows just as a pitch was about to be thrown! For goodness sake, if you can't wait until the next break between half-innings, at least have the decency and courtesy to wait for a break in the action on the field!:angry:

C-Dawg
08-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Old Comiskey Park had a whole lot of yellow railings....

Southsider101
08-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Older ballparks had what were once referred to as box seats. You still see that reference today in many parks ticketing structure in calling the best seats, "box seats" There were usually six seats per "box" in the closest lower level seats to the field and the first few rows of the upper deck, as well. These seats were grouped together and surrounded by railings which would prevent anyone from walking down and entire aisle of seats. Before the days of private suites and luxury suites, this was as private as corporate heavy hitters could get at most major league ballparks.

If you look at old photos of Comiskey, Wrigley, Fenway parks you will see that this was a very common seating arrangement. I can remember boxes at old Comiskey and Wrigley well into the 1960s and 1970s. Boxes seemed to go by the boards when clubs began to renovate their parks and replace the original wooded seats with plastic seats.

Stroker Ace
08-08-2005, 09:49 PM
to add more debris when Shea is impolded(Soon, hopefully. The place is a freakin' dump)

TimoPerez
08-08-2005, 10:33 PM
Older ballparks had what were once referred to as box seats. You still see that reference today in many parks ticketing structure in calling the best seats, "box seats" There were usually six seats per "box" in the closest lower level seats to the field and the first few rows of the upper deck, as well. These seats were grouped together and surrounded by railings which would prevent anyone from walking down and entire aisle of seats. Before the days of private suites and luxury suites, this was as private as corporate heavy hitters could get at most major league ballparks.

If you look at old photos of Comiskey, Wrigley, Fenway parks you will see that this was a very common seating arrangement. I can remember boxes at old Comiskey and Wrigley well into the 1960s and 1970s. Boxes seemed to go by the boards when clubs began to renovate their parks and replace the original wooded seats with plastic seats.

Bingo.

And OzzieBall,

The seats at Shea aren't all orange. The first level is orange, the second is blue, the third level is green, and the fourth level is red.

TimoPerez
08-08-2005, 10:36 PM
to add more debris when Shea is impolded(Soon, hopefully. The place is a freakin' dump)

The new stadium is supposed to be opened for the 2009 season but construction is supposed to be opened at the beginning of next season. It seems like they have a very long time to build the stadium. I wouldn't be surprised if it opened a year early.

Shea may be a dump but it is our dump.

buehrle4cy05
08-08-2005, 10:43 PM
The new stadium is supposed to be opened for the 2009 season but construction is supposed to be opened at the beginning of next season. It seems like they have a very long time to build the stadium. I wouldn't be surprised if it opened a year early.

Shea may be a dump but it is our dump.

Can I ask if the new stadium is being built near LaGuardia again? That would be the next in a long line of bad moves by the Mets (not keeping Ryan, Beltran, Mo Vaughn, etc.)

TimoPerez
08-08-2005, 11:02 PM
Can I ask if the new stadium is being built near LaGuardia again? That would be the next in a long line of bad moves by the Mets (not keeping Ryan, Beltran, Mo Vaughn, etc.)

Yes. It is being built in Shea's parking lot. The jets flying over are Shea's signature(along with the big scoreboard and the home run apple).

And what is so bad about Carlos Beltran? You can't judge a seven year contract on 5/8 of one year. He hasn't been terrible so far either.

Stroker Ace
08-08-2005, 11:39 PM
Can I ask if the new stadium is being built near LaGuardia again? That would be the next in a long line of bad moves by the Mets (not keeping Ryan, Beltran, Mo Vaughn, etc.)Hey. I don't have a problem with it being next to LaGuardia. Without the jets, it wouldn't be the Mets.

elrod
08-08-2005, 11:59 PM
The planes are just a part of the Mets experience. Kinda like the big ferry horn at Safeco.

Baby Fisk
08-09-2005, 08:41 AM
Hey. I don't have a problem with it being next to LaGuardia. Without the jets, it wouldn't be the Mets.

:hijacked:
Is this how the NFL Jets got their name? They used to play at Shea.

TimoPerez
08-09-2005, 04:22 PM
:hijacked:
Is this how the NFL Jets got their name? They used to play at Shea.

I don't know if it was because the jets were flying overhead or if it was just because Shea is so close to La Guardia but either way the team name has to do with the planes that were nearby.

DrummerGeorgefan
08-09-2005, 07:49 PM
It was always a pleasure to come home and dad sporting tickets with the words 'Golden Box' on them...you knew they were good at the old park